Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 PM

Rep Points: 0
Default Re: So who still thinks we need a new QB?

Dalton is a very capable QB in this league. Everyone has a sophmore slump and hes already shown much of his potential and leadership abilities in his short time here. In the upcoming game I hope he can show more of his play making ability because of the Chiefs injuries http://bit.ly/RZFVqD. He has playmakers at WR, we just need more consistency across our offensive line and our run game has been non existent all year. We have the pieces to go deep into the playoffs in 1-2 years
Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27646

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanPride View Post
The great thing about this particular game is that the offense and Andy in particular improved greatly on what had been our biggest weaknesses so far this year: 3rd down conversions and red-zone offense. This was by far our best game offensively on 3rd converting 46% of the time and we scored TD's instead of FG's when we got in the red-zone which is not normally the case.

Also, while I agree the defense was great, I disagree with those that say (in this particular game) that we showed be praising them first. It's easier to play defense when you are ahead, particularly when you are ahead early in the game. This was one of the few games where our offense played particularly well in the first quarter. Those 14 first quarter points set the tone for the game. The Giants had to play catch-up which leads to predictability which allows the defense to play more aggresively.

As I've said all along, Andy can take this offense to a different level if he improved his play on 3rd down and in the red-zone. This game proved it. Let's hope it continues on a consistent basis.
The 3rd down conversion rate isn't all on the QB. When a QB is constantly facing 3rd and long thanks to a poor run game, the 3rd down % is obviously going to suffer. On a 3rd and long, the defense pretty much knows you have to pass, and the o-line has to block for a longer period of time to let routes develop.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668

It's no coincidence that our most convincing win of the year came in a game where Dalton had 0 interceptions.

Interceptions definately costed us the Browns game. It also hurt us really bad in the Broncos game.

I do think Dalton is the QB to lead us into the future, but as he goes, the team goes...

The only way I can see us losing to the Chiefs is if he throws a couple int's.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
The 3rd down conversion rate isn't all on the QB. When a QB is constantly facing 3rd and long thanks to a poor run game, the 3rd down % is obviously going to suffer. On a 3rd and long, the defense pretty much knows you have to pass, and the o-line has to block for a longer period of time to let routes develop.
150% :: Look at what Andy was able to do with manageable 3rd down situations. All his options opened up and he was working the field and finding guys wide open.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:53 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
See my post earlier in this thread about sophomore season of about 8 HOF QB's. Dalton's number are better than almost all of them.
I saw it, but it's in a different thread.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 11-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 149
bengals Re: So who still thinks we need a new QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
It's no coincidence that our most convincing win of the year came in a game where Dalton had 0 interceptions.

Interceptions definately costed us the Browns game. It also hurt us really bad in the Broncos game.

I do think Dalton is the QB to lead us into the future, but as he goes, the team goes...

The only way I can see us losing to the Chiefs is if he throws a couple int's.
Every team goes as the QB goes you give him a clean pocket andy dalton will kill you..... The bengals look like they have turned things around..... Where at the point in the season where the men separate from the boys....So if we want a chance to make the playoffs ....Nows the time to put your best foot forword ....And i think he will be just fine........(PS . I dont see alot where doing wrong right now)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2664

Props to Mr.ShakenBlake, we had a difference of opinion on Dalton before the Giants game and all of a sudden Mr.Dalton is looking like a stud.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:43 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Dalton 21 of 30 with 4 tds and no picks today. He actually got some protection today and you can see what he did with it. Still no run game, but Andy is getting it done.

Now on pace for 4140 yards, 32 tds and 20 picks. Completing 64.4%. Those are elite numbers fellas.
He's still missing big throws. Its those misses that cause me to shake my head sometimes. Even he slapped his head a couple of times, realizing they were missed chances. This "will" be his downfall against .500 teams. I do like that he's ended that momentum changing interception streak.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 14867

I've seen this mentioned in other threads; remember the bootleg from Dalton today? He held the ball out, arm fully extended then pulled it back. That's why they do that.

Most defenders, on the field, are not going to get a clear look at the QBs hand when he's about to hand the ball off so play action may not work as well. When the QB extends his arm fully like that, defenders see it and immediately think run.

I don't know about you but i was completely fooled (watching it on tv) and was about to go "why are you slowing down??!!" at BJGE. Then i noticed Dalton running and realized he had the ball. My wife laughed because she didn't realize he had the ball either.

Great fake because everyone and their brother though Dalton was handing off.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeIslandFan View Post
He's still missing big throws. Its those misses that cause me to shake my head sometimes. Even he slapped his head a couple of times, realizing they were missed chances. This "will" be his downfall against .500 teams. I do like that he's ended that momentum changing interception streak.
So much wrong with this post. First off, people always focus on the negative with Andy. He may be missing some throws, but the dude is completing almost 65% of his passes. What more do you want?

As for the int streak, Andy Dalton has 11 picks. Do you realize that roughly half the league has 10 or more picks? For pete's sale, I wish people would use their brains and analyze the stats before they tee off on Andy.

I get it. Andy doesn't have an exciting big arm. He wasn't a first round pick from a big school. He has red hair. He's not Carson Palmer. Seriously though, he's doing well and people need to get off his back because he's one of the few good things this team has going for it.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Yes, log it.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 11-19-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:30 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
See my post earlier in this thread about sophomore season of about 8 HOF QB's. Dalton's number are better than almost all of them.
Unless those 8 HOF QB's played in the last 7 years or so when the NFL changed the rules to favor the passing game, comparing a QB now to a QB then means absolutely nothing. Marino never played with flags being thrown for contact after 5 yds. It's a much different league now than it was even 15 years ago. I like Dalton, a lot, but comparisons to players of yesteryear are worthless. Play a game by 1970 rules and watch most of today's QB's have pedestrian games. Stickum was legal, so was mugging receivers down the field, not to mention the lack of rules protecting QB's.

There's a reason the NFL has had a total of 5 5,000 yard passers in it's history and 4 of them have been since 2008. It does make Norm Van Brocklin's 554 yd game in 1954 look more and more impressive though.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravage View Post
Unless those 8 HOF QB's played in the last 7 years or so when the NFL changed the rules to favor the passing game, comparing a QB now to a QB then means absolutely nothing. Marino never played with flags being thrown for contact after 5 yds. It's a much different league now than it was even 15 years ago. I like Dalton, a lot, but comparisons to players of yesteryear are worthless. Play a game by 1970 rules and watch most of today's QB's have pedestrian games. Stickum was legal, so was mugging receivers down the field, not to mention the lack of rules protecting QB's.

There's a reason the NFL has had a total of 5 5,000 yard passers in it's history and 4 of them have been since 2008. It does make Norm Van Brocklin's 554 yd game in 1954 look more and more impressive though.
Go ahead and compare his rookie and sophomore numbers with more recent examples like Eli, Big Ben, Flacco, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, Sam Bradford and Drew Brees. His rookie and sophomore numbers stack up nicely against all those guys too.

Quote:
Yes, log it.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 11-19-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:45 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21476
bengals Re: So who still thinks we need a new QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeIslandFan View Post
How many QBs have a 100% completion rate?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6314

You have to understand that we have a cadre of folks here who, for whatever reason, have to tear Andy down. Typically (but not always) they tend to be ones who overvalue the physical components of QB play (pure arm power, fast feet) as opposed to the far more important traits of awareness, intelligence and leadership.

Meanwhile Andy is posting pretty impressive numbers seeing that he has had exactly one reliable WR target and until the Giants game his TE not only had the dropsies but also shied away from contact.

The last couple of weeks Gresham seems to have decided that TEs are supposed to play tough which is an improvement. Also that Marvin FINALLY let Sanu out there and his presence has had a dramatic effect. Alas today he still have the horrid Brandon Tate the bulk of the snaps - I think Andy nearly fainted when Tate actually made a big catch.

In any event, to post the numbers Andy has with the very limited supporting cast he has is pretty good work.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravage View Post

Actually 2 of the 8 were Ben and Eli........
Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 40

If you ever watched how it was made on discovery channel. theres a new episode has AJ GREEN in it legend in the making!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 779

Quarterback Andy Dalton:

2011 - 9-7 and a playoff loss
2012 - 5-5

The Cincinnati Bengals are 1 game behind the Pittsburgh Steelers for a wild card with the Steelers holding one half of the tie-break (head to head).

The Cincinnati Bengals are 1 game behind the Indianapolis Colts for the second wild card.

The determination of the opinion of " who still thinks we need a new QB?" will only be determined after the completion of the games aggainst the Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles ( a game I will attend) and the Baltimore Ravens.

To venture an opinion on " who still thinks we need a new QB?" after 10 games (with a record of 5-5) is not examining quarterback Andy Dalton's complete 2012 outcome which is necessary to determine the opinion on the questioned posed.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19838

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballinsider22 View Post
Dalton is a very capable QB in this league. Everyone has a sophmore slump and hes already shown much of his potential and leadership abilities in his short time here. In the upcoming game I hope he can show more of his play making ability because of the Chiefs injuries http://bit.ly/RZFVqD. He has playmakers at WR, we just need more consistency across our offensive line and our run game has been non existent all year. We have the pieces to go deep into the playoffs in 1-2 years
Spamsies. Some of the posts this dude has made have been removed, but every single one has the same link in it. This would be a decent opinion if it weren't just an attempt to lure you to a different website.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7626

Quote:
To venture an opinion on " who still thinks we need a new QB?" after 10 games (with a record of 5-5) is not examining quarterback Andy Dalton's complete 2012 outcome which is necessary to determine the opinion on the questioned posed.
You literally have done this a bunch of times by starting threads saying we need to draft Matt Barkley.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8278

6th in the NFL in TD passes
11th in the NFL in passing yards
11th in the NFL in quarterback rating
11th in yards per game
12 in completion %
10th in yards per attempt
9th in times sacked

Cincinnati is the 10th ranked passing offense while being the 20th ranked rushing offense.

He's doing a lot with almost no help from the run game.

Once again, Dalton is on his way to being a top 7-10 QB in this league.
Just imagine if we had a run game!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
You literally have done this a bunch of times by starting threads saying we need to draft Matt Barkley.
take a look at who he thinks the Chiefs are taking #1 and that's all you need to know of his quarterback "expertise"
Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1260

Quote:
Quarterback Andy Dalton:

2012 - 5-5

The Cincinnati Bengals are 1 game behind the Pittsburgh Steelers for a wild card with the Steelers holding one half of the tie-break (head to head).

The Cincinnati Bengals are 1 game behind the Indianapolis Colts for the second wild card.

The determination of the opinion of " who still thinks we need a new QB?" will only be determined after the completion of the games aggainst the Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles ( a game I will attend) and the Baltimore Ravens.

Which is interesting from you troll bot because you were quick to point out we need Matt berkley the USC interception machine before Andy completed his first pass. Then after a string of losses decided our season was over, but now say we have to wait till the end of the year a bit of irony if you ask me.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8278

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
Which is interesting from you troll bot because you were quick to point out we need Matt berkley the USC interception machine before Andy completed his first pass. Then after a string of losses decided our season was over, but now say we have to wait till the end of the year a bit of irony if you ask me.
troll bot
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4857

Quote:
Quarterback Andy Dalton:

2012 - 5-5

And I ask again, How do you have any rep left?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4688

My machine gun >- - - - - - - - - #BOOM <This thread.....every time I see it still lives.

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!