Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 403
Default Bengals Need to Jump on Chiefs Early

Chiefs have a dangerous running game. If the Bengals can get in front and force Cassell to throw, it could get ugly for the Chiefs. Also if he struggles the fans will turn on him really quickly.

My biggest fear is that the Bengals are too conservative allowing the Chiefs to keep it close, run the ball and the fans staying loud.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1581
Default Re: Bengals Need to Jump on Chiefs Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny the dog View Post
Chiefs have a dangerous running game. If the Bengals can get in front and force Cassell to throw, it could get ugly for the Chiefs. Also if he struggles the fans will turn on him really quickly.

My biggest fear is that the Bengals are too conservative allowing the Chiefs to keep it close, run the ball and the fans staying loud.
I am with you for the most part. However watching Cassell during the Steelers game as long as we pressure him the turn overs will come. Heck he was throwing the game away with no pressure on him. We can not sleep on him or the cheifs though.

That is how we lose games when we do not come out and aim to kick a team in their teeth. You are right we need to come out swinging early on both sides of the ball and not let up until the final whistle.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:45 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32124

Definitely need to jump out to a lead and make Cassel have to pass to beat us. That should definitely work in our favor because Cassel in turnover prone and we've been picking off passes lately (5 ints in the last 3 games).

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-17-2012, 03:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2834

Just curious... is there ever a time when you DON'T need--or at least intend--to get an early lead?

Making the other team one-dimensional on offense, and keeping all options open for yourself, is ALWAYS the goal.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9402

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumetti View Post
Just curious... is there ever a time when you DON'T need--or at least intend--to get an early lead?

Making the other team one-dimensional on offense, and keeping all options open for yourself, is ALWAYS the goal.
Agreed.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32124

Quote:

True, it just seems like it's especially important to the Bengals. I think we're giving up about 120 rush yards per game on 4.3 per carry.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

We can't treat any team like a scrub and come in and not try. We have to go ALL OUT and go for the juggular every game.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

No, I would rather they run the ball than throw it. Teams pretty much throw the ball at will against us - its easy pitch and catch. He'll, even rookie QBs make it look easy.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
No, I would rather they run the ball than throw it. Teams pretty much throw the ball at will against us - its easy pitch and catch. He'll, even rookie QBs make it look easy.
Yeah, just like last week right?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23352

The Bengals have a history of making garbage QBs look like Joe Montana, so hoping for Cassel to be forced to beat them might not work out so well.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5765

I love posts like this. Just one time I'd like to read a thread that starts:

"For the Bengals to win this week, I really think that the offense needs to be conservative early and the defense needs to play soft. Hopefully the Bengals can dig themselves a 17 point hole that they'll have to climb out of. I really want to be entertained in the fourth quarter."
Old 11-17-2012, 10:28 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1441

The Chiefs are starting a new guy at RG this week. Their C is questionable. Our d-line should be able to control the trenches.
if everyone can play their gaps responsibly then I can see the Chiefs becoming 1 dimensional
on offense. No running lanes what so ever for Charles. where Charles can kill you is to the outside and
our CBs better be ready to come up and cut Charles legs out.
The only WR Cassell trusts is Bowe right now. Breaston got benched and Baldwin is out for the game.
Mohammed Sanu should be able to beat Arenas all day down the field.
but we can't go down field and simply convert FG's.we need TDs.
can't let the Chiefs hang around and have hope.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1933

That strategy works against most teams. Earlier in the season against saints they overcame a 24 point deficit mostly running the football. Our defense is better than the saints though. I just hope our Offense continues to have long drives to keep the defense fresh.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey1302 View Post
I love posts like this. Just one time I'd like to read a thread that starts:

"For the Bengals to win this week, I really think that the offense needs to be conservative early and the defense needs to play soft. Hopefully the Bengals can dig themselves a 17 point hole that they'll have to climb out of. I really want to be entertained in the fourth quarter."
Obviously every team would like to get a lead. That wasn't the point of the post. It is about the attitude in which you approach the game. You can come out aggressive and try and make things happen. Or you can come out with a conservative approach. Against the Chiefs I think an aggressive -up-tempo approach would be best. Marvin often prefers to come out with a conservative approach, minimizing mistakes and waiting to capitalize on the other teams mistakes.

Sorry I will try to dumb it down for you next time.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny the dog View Post
Obviously every team would like to get a lead. That wasn't the point of the post. It is about the attitude in which you approach the game. You can come out aggressive and try and make things happen. Or you can come out with a conservative approach. Against the Chiefs I think an aggressive -up-tempo approach would be best. Marvin often prefers to come out with a conservative approach, minimizing mistakes and waiting to capitalize on the other teams mistakes.

Sorry I will try to dumb it down for you next time.
No need to dumb anything down to me. I understood completely what you were saying.

I also love how when the Bengals are agressive, it's all because of Gruden or Zimmer. But when they are conservative, it's because Marvin took over. You guys realize that Gruden ALWAYS calls the offense and Zimmer ALWAYS calls the defense right?

Someone started a thread after the Giants game about how it had the look of Marvin being "hands off." People crack me up. The gameplan is different for each team, and guess what? Gruden and Zimmer help come up with the gameplan. It's not always Marvin's doing if the team is conservative. It's also not totally because of Gruden or Zimmer when the team plays with a little agressiveness.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19277

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
True, it just seems like it's especially important to the Bengals. I think we're giving up about 120 rush yards per game on 4.3 per carry.
You want an early lead, but his point was that we can't try and get into a ground and pound game with them because we'll lose, which I agree with.

Forcing a running game to play from behind is the way to win, especially when they don't have a great QB or they have a QB that is prone to make mistakes. We need to dictate how the other team plays, but then we also need to slow it down, but stay aggressive, if we get up two or three scores and can't go back to the Bratkowski '09 days of dive, dive, curl, punt.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 67

I agree that we need to get out on top quickly. KC has one of the loudest outdoor stadiums in the league, so we need to take the crowd out of the game early. I also agree that if we get locked into a running match, we'll lose. Unfortunately, we're too one dimentional ourselves. Nobody respects our running game, because we haven't done anything to earn it. KC has the players up front who can keep pressure on Andy "Red Rifle" Dalton, and shut down our running lanes, so it is imperitive that our O-Line DOMINATES today! Our Defense must build on what they did last week against the Giants. The way KC turns the ball over this year, we should run up the score. We will win today.