Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5310
Default Flirting vs. Friendly

I was accused today (by a complete stranger nevertheless) of being a "creeper", which I'm assuming is a bad term by the expressions of the young ladies. Setting the scene, I was getting coffee at Starbucks this morning, and I was standing in line. Two women, mid 20s I suppose, were behind me. I told them to go ahead and order before me because I was still determining what I was going to buy. They thanked me. They went ahead. After they ordered, I ordered. While we were standing there waiting for our different drinks, I noticed one of them had an Irish sweatshirt on. I can't refuse complimenting people who wear the Notre Dame logo, so I smiled. I told her, "That's a great shirt," and I made a comment about the football program. I asked them if they had gone to the university, and that's when the man called their order up. They grabbed their coffees, passed me with equal smirks, and one of them laughed under her breath. "Old creeper" is what I heard. I later found out that it's not a sign of endearment.

So here's my question to the youth of this board. When did being friendly turn into flirting? When did making simple conversation turn into "creepy"? There was no ill intent on my part. I don't get it.

Steeler Eater, thank you for ^^^^^^. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 452
Default Re: Flirting vs. Friendly

OK, I'm over 50, but I'm female and that was an extremely crappy thing for them to say.

Any reasonable person, I don't care who you are, needs to be at least courteous when someone's trying to make friendly conversation.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 45729

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDfanatic View Post
I was accused today (by a complete stranger nevertheless) of being a "creeper", which I'm assuming is a bad term by the expressions of the young ladies. Setting the scene, I was getting coffee at Starbucks this morning, and I was standing in line. Two women, mid 20s I suppose, were behind me. I told them to go ahead and order before me because I was still determining what I was going to buy. They thanked me. They went ahead. After they ordered, I ordered. While we were standing there waiting for our different drinks, I noticed one of them had an Irish sweatshirt on. I can't refuse complimenting people who wear the Notre Dame logo, so I smiled. I told her, "That's a great shirt," and I made a comment about the football program. I asked them if they had gone to the university, and that's when the man called their order up. They grabbed their coffees, passed me with equal smirks, and one of them laughed under her breath. "Old creeper" is what I heard. I later found out that it's not a sign of endearment.

So here's my question to the youth of this board. When did being friendly turn into flirting? When did making simple conversation turn into "creepy"? There was no ill intent on my part. I don't get it.

It sounds to me like these young ladies are simply victims of their own egos. They must have been so immersed in their own powers of seductive ability to notice that you, in reality, were not making advances toward them. That is too bad, had they actually taken the moment to engage you in actual conversation, they would have known the sincere gentleman that you really are.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:01 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9957

You sure it wasn't "Oooh, a keeper!"?

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.

There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
It sounds to me like these young ladies are simply victims of their own egos. They must have been so immersed in their own powers of seductive ability to notice that you, in reality, were not making advances toward them. That is too bad, had they actually taken the moment to engage you in actual conversation, they would have known the sincere gentleman that you really are.
They are the ones who should worry when we stop looking.

There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1776

Quote:
Yup. The younger female generation. No matter if they're fat or ugly... every girl thinks they're Kate Upton (who's blah by the way).
Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Droppings View Post
Yup. The younger female generation. No matter if they're fat or ugly... every girl thinks they're Kate Upton (who's blah by the way).
Not when Kate is compared to the fat and ugly ones.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 79072

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbengal View Post
it sounds to me like these young ladies are simply victims of their own egos. They must have been so immersed in their own powers of seductive ability to notice that you, in reality, were not making advances toward them. That is too bad, had they actually taken the moment to engage you in actual conversation, they would have known the sincere gentleman that you really are.
qft
Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 770

Quote:

dude, F that. you did nothing wrong. my generation is disgusting.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9968

Some younger people think that an older person who is trying to converse with them is trying to be their equal. Trying to be with it. Trying too hard.

They will think "why is this guy/woman talking to me?" Does he/she want something? I don't know them. Why would I bother talking to them. What's in it for me? You're old.

If they don't respond to you. Don't bother trying to continue.

Did they respond to you at all... or did they just look at you, or go "uh huh"?

If they didn't. That is where this interaction should have stopped.

Sorry you got treated that way.

Some people are just vain, shallow or stupid. No matter what age they are.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73442

Just two girls being *****es. I've gotten. Lots o girls think you're just trying to get in their pants
Old 11-18-2012, 05:09 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73442

Quote:
Good way to put it
My generation actually does kind of ****
Old 11-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 2354

I think it is just how people are these days. Its like people get mad if your friendly
Old 11-18-2012, 05:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5310

The two young women thanked me for letting them go ahead of me in line. After I made the Notre Dame comment, the one who didn't have the ND shirt on opened her eyes a little wider, looked down and stifled a smile, and the one who had the shirt on just stared at me for a few seconds before they got their drinks and walked away. Both of them were laughing to themselves when they passed. I didn't realize that being the first one to start a conversation meant something different. When I was 20 something, I humored older people who tried to make conversation with me. It was a sign of respect, even if you didn't know the other person. I suppose that's where the generational thing plays a factor.

I told my wife about the situation, and she told me that I needn't worry about it. I didn't want those two girls to think I was doing anything but trying to be friendly. If it was a man with that shirt on, I would have said the same thing.

Steeler Eater, thank you for ^^^^^^. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 54092

This is America - we don't like old people here. They make us nervous
Old 11-18-2012, 05:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 45729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
I think it is just how people are these days. Its like people get mad if your friendly

Not in the South
Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4518

Maybe she thought you were looking at her "twins" when you commented on her shirt? Nevertheless, you did nothing wrong and the girls are the ones with the issue here. Continue to be who you are and don't let it affect you. Any normal person could see you were just being nice and said nothing wrong.

(Now are they still tied up in your van or did you already drag them down to the basement?)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11135

I'm very late 20s now, but if it makes you feel better, I don't like talking to any random strangers in public and never have, didn't matter how old or young they were.

Of course the comment these girls made makes it pretty clear how they felt about it. I got called a creeper once by a group of 19 year old girls I was on vacation with in a group of people when I was 24 so I guess you don't even need to be that old to be called one.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 79072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick D from 83 View Post
I'm very late 20s now, but if it makes you feel better, I don't like talking to any random strangers in public and never have, didn't matter how old or young they were.

Of course the comment these girls made makes it pretty clear how they felt about it. I got called a creeper once by a group of 19 year old girls I was on vacation with in a group of people when I was 24 so I guess you don't even need to be that old to be called one.
im the same way...but if i am wearing a shirt supporting a certain team and someone makes a comment...i am more than happy to converse with them! the best icebreaker between strangers is common interests.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark W Griswold View Post
Maybe she thought you were looking at her "twins" when you commented on her shirt? Nevertheless, you did nothing wrong and the girls are the ones with the issue here. Continue to be who you are and don't let it affect you. Any normal person could see you were just being nice and said nothing wrong.

(Now are they still tied up in your van or did you already drag them down to the basement?)
ND, I think Bengal Droppings summed it up best. Some girls have an awfully high opinion of themselves. Luckily, I wasn't with you, or we would have been dowsed with hot coffee.

P.S. Why are we whispering?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

Quote:

Wow. You old creeper. What was your next question? "Can I get them digits?"

Today's society. Don't be offended.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark W Griswold;26

Is there a reason I had to take my microscope out to read this post???

Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
Is there a reason I had to take my microscope out to read this post???

Because these fancy computer things ain't easy to use
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12479

Your first mistake was going to Starbucks.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5835

Quote:

Big Ben Worthlessburger said same the same thing zactly and got brought up on charges twice.....JKJK. Only in America.....funny thing is if you had a wad of cash in your pocket this size of a ham sandich and paid for their coffees they would have thought you were a stud...even if you looked like Woody Allen.

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!