Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3367
Default Sophomore Slump: Dalton vs Newton (Part 4)

Been a while since I have went back to this series of mine, mainly letting the weeks pass by in hopes of finding some new numbers. Again, I am doing this because Cam Newton won Rookie of the Year, something Dalton was up for. Newton received all the recognition that Dalton did not get, but most importantly, these two were HIGH on the lists for suspects of Sophomore Slumps...So where are we now?

Cam Newton (2-8)

Season Stats: 171/300 (57%) 2,395 PYARDS 9 TDS 10 INTS 79 RTG 40.4 QBR 4 RTDS 5 FMBL
AVG Pass Defense Rank: 19

Andy Dalton (5-5)

Season Stats: 221/344 (64.2%) 2,559 PYARDS 20 TDS 11 INTS 92.7 RTG 57.5 QBR 2 RTDS 2 FMBL
AVG Pass Defense Rank: 17.6

Fascinating.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5654
Default Re: Sophomore Slump: Dalton vs Newton (Part 4)

He isn't having a sophomore slump, just like I have been saying for weeks. The team as a whole may have not been playing the best early, but Dalton has played relatively well. He will have better stats than last year and has out played all others in that QB class.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6278

It's not just a sophomore slump for Cam. I said it before the draft. Every "dual-threat" QB who has been in the NFL has been a one-hit wonder. The exception that proves the rule is Michael Vick, but even he hasn't been able to string two good years together back-to-back. I didn't expect Cam to have stats as good as he did last year, but anyone who knows their history saw this coming a long way off.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 770

I think it's fair to say that we've definitely given Dalton more to work with than Carolina has Cam.

That said, I think mental toughness is the difference-maker here.

Dalton is a consummate pro. Cam's a face and an arm.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygraf View Post
I think it's fair to say that we've definitely given Dalton more to work with than Carolina has Cam.

That said, I think mental toughness is the difference-maker here.

Dalton is a consummate pro. Cam's a face and an arm.
Cam Newton is the 'phenom'. He is what the NFL needs, much like LeBron is for the NBA. A big, heroic looking figure with a pretty smile and unimaginable athleticism. It looks cool for Gatorade commercials but it does not add up to wins or stats. What kills me is that Newton has a MUCH better run game with two solid running backs...we have well...nothing really.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Crusader View Post
Cam Newton is the 'phenom'. He is what the NFL needs, much like LeBron is for the NBA. A big, heroic looking figure with a pretty smile and unimaginable athleticism. It looks cool for Gatorade commercials but it does not add up to wins or stats. What kills me is that Newton has a MUCH better run game with two solid running backs...we have well...nothing really.
I thought we had a mentally NFL ready QB and Carolina had a freakishly athletic 4 year old.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
He isn't having a sophomore slump, just like I have been saying for weeks. The team as a whole may have not been playing the best early, but Dalton has played relatively well. He will have better stats than last year and has out played all others in that QB class.
His slump was the 6 games in a row with a pick....

the whole team seems to be waking up now that the air is cold and crisp.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73805

Quote:
To be fair, the Panthers are having one of the most unsustainable streaks of losing I've seen in a while. They are like the opposite version of the early year Cardinals. They lose on such random or ridiculous plays. That said, Andy is having a much better year than Cam
Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5765

Quote:
Not to get off topic, but you do realize that LeBron's "pretty smile" and "unimaginable athleticism" has added up to multiple league MVP's, 3 finals appearances, 1 championship, and 1 finals MVP right? I understand your point though, I just think your choice of words in describing LeBron were poor.

Anyway, I agree with the folks that mentioned Cam's mental toughness.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
It's not just a sophomore slump for Cam. I said it before the draft. Every "dual-threat" QB who has been in the NFL has been a one-hit wonder. The exception that proves the rule is Michael Vick, but even he hasn't been able to string two good years together back-to-back. I didn't expect Cam to have stats as good as he did last year, but anyone who knows their history saw this coming a long way off.
Randall Cunningham did okay. Steve Young and John Elway both did really well, although they were geared a bit more toward throwing than Vick or Cunningham. Tobin Rote was pretty consistent back in his day, and definitely more a runner than a passer.

I do agree that it's easier nowadays for "throwing" QBs to have consistent success than "running" QBs. But your third sentence is overstated. :)
Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21087

Quote:
Stewart and Williams were good 5 years ago....

Carolina's team is old.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey1302 View Post
Not to get off topic, but you do realize that LeBron's "pretty smile" and "unimaginable athleticism" has added up to multiple league MVP's, 3 finals appearances, 1 championship, and 1 finals MVP right? I understand your point though, I just think your choice of words in describing LeBron were poor.

I agree. LeBron is one of the top 5 players to ever play the in the NBA. Im not even sure how you can try to compare LeBron to Cam.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
I agree. LeBron is one of the top 5 players to ever play the in the NBA. Im not even sure how you can try to compare LeBron to Cam.
I have this discussion with a couple buddies quite often. IMO, when all is said and done, LeBron will be the best all around player to ever play the game. His combination of size, and speed is often overlooked on TV. Go watch him in person. There is no way a person of his size should be able to move like that.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33761

Quote:

Would LeBron have a championship without D. Wade and Bosh? That's why I can't watch the NBA anymore. You have 2-3 "super teams" and the rest of the league doesn't stand a chance. Plus the NBA has more childish egos than any other professional sport. It's like an entire league of diva WRs.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Would LeBron have a championship without D. Wade and Bosh? That's why I can't watch the NBA anymore. You have 2-3 "super teams" and the rest of the league doesn't stand a chance. Plus the NBA has more childish egos than any other professional sport. It's like an entire league of diva WRs.
LeBron might not have a championship now, but eventually he would have. Even if he stayed in Cleveland. Can anyone name another starter from that Cleveland squad that made the finals? Would Jordan have won so many titles without Scottie? Or Phil Jackson? How many titles would Kobe have without Shaq and Phil?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24442

Let's see how Andy performs in San Diego. That's will be the next remotely decent team we play. And playing them on the road will make it tougher.

I don't think he's slumped. Most of the INTs were not his fault.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Let's see how Andy performs in San Diego. That's will be the next remotely decent team we play. And playing them on the road will make it tougher.

I agree. That game should be a good barometer. Like the Bengals, the Chargers are fighting to stay in the playoff picture and every game is now a must win for them.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post

Kansas City was a top 10 pass defense, so as far as Andy goes that was a good win.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I have this discussion with a couple buddies quite often. IMO, when all is said and done, LeBron will be the best all around player to ever play the game. His combination of size, and speed is often overlooked on TV. Go watch him in person. There is no way a person of his size should be able to move like that.
Couldnt agree more.

I was going to say the best player of all time in my post above, but didnt feel like having the debate with all the Lebron haters and didnt want to hijack the dudes thread.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
He carried Cleveland on his back to the NBA finals. You know what happened the next year when he left? They won 20 games. Yes, Lebron would have a championship sooner or later if Wade and Bosh werent on his team.

I cant stand listening to people try to talk about the NBA when they dont even watch the games or have no idea whats going on in the league.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
Once Lebron was mentioned, I knew it was all downhill
Old 11-19-2012, 12:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
He carried Cleveland on his back to the NBA finals. You know what happened the next year when he left? They won 20 games. Yes, Lebron would have a championship sooner or later if Wade and Bosh werent on his team.

I cant stand listening to people try to talk about the NBA when they dont even watch the games or have no idea whats going on in the league.
Yep.

Some people think that LeBron is the first player to ever want to leave a team to try and win a championship. Shaq went all around the league chasing rings. Robert Horry, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard etc....
Old 11-19-2012, 12:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244

Quote:
Once Lebron was mentioned, I knew it was all downhill
who is LABron?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2631

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
This, as well as the lockout. Its funny, I have still heard experts on the radio talk about how they are shocked at how bad Cam is playing this year. Look at his numbers, they were all inflated by the lockout, by the end of the season we saw the real Cam, and its carried into this season.