Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 401
Default Alec Ogletree

Can someone tell where this guy projects in the NFL? He is classified as an ILB and that is because Georgia plays in the 3-4. I have watched him a few times and noticed that he really doesn't make calls at the line like a 4-3 MLB should do. Can he play MIKE for us or can we line him up on the outside?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3681
Default Re: Alec Ogletree

One man's opinion...Steve Muench ESPN..has his stock still down, not a likely 1st rounder, and not a proven MIKE

Down: Georgia ILB Alec Ogletree* (92)
Ogletree is a rangy run defender with above-average closing speed and third-down potential, but he's disappointed in two areas. First, he hasn't gotten any more stout at the point of attack and his tackling has been inconsistent. Durability and character issues are also at play here. Ogletree missed six games with a broken foot in 2011, and any team interested in taking him will want doctors to take a look at that foot. In terms of character, it should be noted that Ogletree was one of the team's David Jacobs Award winners in 2011, an award given to players who portray courage, spirit, character and determination by example. However, Georgia suspended him for one game of the 2010 season and for the first four games this year. Add it all up, and Ogletree could easily slide out of the first round.

Last edited by goalpost; 11-19-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 487

Im a huge UGA fan and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ogletree fall out of the first. He isn't a true MIKE. I'd really like to see him moved outside in place of Lawson. He is the QB of UGAs D but most of their calls are signaled in from the sideline and the only adjustments he is forced to make are the ones surrounding tyhe LBs. I've said this before on here, but his suspension was a result of a drug test the week after spring break. He and Bacarri Rambo were tested and both failed. When given the mandatory 2nd test by the NCAA they both passed. UGAs head coach is really strict on this matter though and suspended both players for 4 games. No NCAA penalties were enforced
Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 401

I would LOVE to line him up in our LB core. He does have an ideal frame and measurables. I think he could slide right in and make an impact. Rey is playing much, much better and Burfict is awesome.
SLB-Ogletree
MLB-Mauluaga
WLB-Burfict
Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by renorvis View Post
I would LOVE to line him up in our LB core. He does have an ideal frame and measurables. I think he could slide right in and make an impact. Rey is playing much, much better and Burfict is awesome.
SLB-Ogletree
MLB-Mauluaga
WLB-Burfict
Rey finally turns it on all the way to "slightly above average" in the last half of a contract year. Way too little too late for me.

I fervently hope that next season our LB core looks like:
SLB: Sean Porter
MLB: Ogletree
WLB: Burfict
Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
Rey finally turns it on all the way to "slightly above average" in the last half of a contract year. Way too little too late for me.

I fervently hope that next season our LB core looks like:
SLB: Sean Porter
WLB: Burfict
Porter hasn't been very good in the new 4-3 looks in A&M.
Needs to be in a situation to rush more often than not. We need a guy who can drop and rush (ideally).
Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Porter hasn't been very good in the new 4-3 looks in A&M.
Needs to be in a situation to rush more often than not. We need a guy who can drop and rush (ideally).
I would also accept:
SLB: Burfict
WLB: Greene

Having said that, I have been pretty satisfied with what I have seen from Porter this year. He is making a good transition from never having had to play coverage before and only rushing. He has room for improvement but so did Pollack when we transitioned him and I think Porter has a very comparable skill set. Porter's numbers from 2011 are very similar to Pollack's from his big 2004 year.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I would also accept:
SLB: Burfict
WLB: Greene

Having said that, I have been pretty satisfied with what I have seen from Porter this year. He is making a good transition from never having had to play coverage before and only rushing. He has room for improvement but so did Pollack when we transitioned him and I think Porter has a very comparable skill set. Porter's numbers from 2011 are very similar to Pollack's from his big 2004 year.
That's the ticket!

I dont think Porter was ever the player Pollack was.
2002: 102 Tackles 14 Sacks 2 INT 2 FF
2003: 92 Tackles 7 ˝ Sacks 2 INT 1 FF
2004: 52 Tackles 12 ˝ Sacks 0 INT 3 FF

Sean Porter Career:
143 Tackles, 13.5 sacks, 1 INT, 2 FF

Now, Porter can be a fine player no doubt. But as a college player he doesn't belong in the same breath as Pollack.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's the ticket!

I dont think Porter was ever the player Pollack was.
2002: 102 Tackles 14 Sacks 2 INT 2 FF
2003: 92 Tackles 7 ˝ Sacks 2 INT 1 FF
2004: 52 Tackles 12 ˝ Sacks 0 INT 3 FF

Sean Porter Career:
143 Tackles, 13.5 sacks, 1 INT, 2 FF

Now, Porter can be a fine player no doubt. But as a college player he doesn't belong in the same breath as Pollack.

For a career you are right. (wow I forgot what an animal Pollack was in '02). But for 2011 Porter came pretty close. 50 solo, 79 total tackles, 17 TFL, 9.5 sacks. Either way it was mainly to use a known commodity that succeeded in a similar situation as a point of reference.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Woot!

Quote:
Earlier we reported Georgia linebacker Alexander Ogletree was leaning towards staying at Georgia. Sources have since told us otherwise as Ogletree is rethinking his options and will probably enter the draft. Why? We’re told Ogletree may not elevate his draft stock all that much by returning to UGA in 2013. Add in the fact the Bulldog defense will be graduating a tremendous amount of top rated defensive talent to the NFL.
Great news for us Ogltree fans.

source: http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Woot!

Great news for us Ogltree fans.

source: http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/
I think he could really boost his stock if he returns and doesn't miss any games. I can see why he would leave with 1/2 that defense leaving too.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:29 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 54651

Ogletree seems like a natural WOLB to me. He was a safety when he came to Georgia and his main strength seems to be his speed.

He was all over the field against Tennessee. I was expecting to see Jones dominate that game, but he didn't do much. However Ogletree made a bunch of tackles and had a great interception dropping back into coverage. I think it was his first game back from suspension.

Then did you see him running with that blocked FG in the SEC Championship game? He can fly, and WOLB's need good cover skills.

Last edited by fredtoast; 12-01-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49974

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Ogletree seems like a natural WOLB to me. He was a safety when he came to Georgia and his main strength seems to be his speed.

He was all over the field against Tennessee. I was expecting to see Jones dominate that game, but he didn't do much. However Ogletree made a bunch of tackles and had a great interception dropping back into coverage. I think it was his first game back from suspension.

Then did you see him running with that blocked FG in the SEC Championship game? He can fly, and WOLB's need good cover skills.
Fred, you are absolutely right on this one. Ogletree isn't that stout right now, but will gain his man mass (see Brian Urlacher), but that speed and instinctive reflex is something that cannot be manufactured. He would be a great addition to the Bengals. Maybe not start as a rookie, but be a ST demon and work his way into a role.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post

WLB Ogletree
MLB Gerald Hodges
SLB Burfict

Last edited by pulses; 12-02-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
WLB Ogletree
MLB Gerald Hodges
SLB Burfict
I dont know how anyone could be upset with that! Another OLB to look for is that Anthony Barr from UCLA. If he declares this year, he may be another LB we may want to take a look at in the 3rd or 4th round!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
WLB Ogletree
MLB Gerald Hodges
SLB Burfict
So we take an MLB and move him to OLB and take an OLB and move him to MLB?
Seems counter-intuitive
Old 12-02-2012, 03:00 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

I would love to draft him to play the strong side. He is fast and can cover since he is a former Safety. Would love to get him in the second rd.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:08 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
So we take an MLB and move him to OLB and take an OLB and move him to MLB?
Seems counter-intuitive

Gerald Hodges has played MLB before so it's not that big of a deal.Ogletree can stay outside till he fills out then you can move him inside at that time.You could always move Burfict to MLB and have Ogletree/C.J. Mosley at WILL and then S Porter/G Hodges at SAM

Last edited by pulses; 12-02-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 54651

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny44 View Post
I would love to draft him to play the strong side. He is fast and can cover since he is a former Safety. Would love to get him in the second rd.
Cover skills are more important at WOLB.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 43979

Ogletree definately has superb athletic skills and is all over the field. Problem is he brings no violence at the point of impact. He would be wise to stay in school another year
Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Ogletree definately has superb athletic skills and is all over the field. Problem is he brings no violence at the point of impact. He would be wise to stay in school another year
You must have missed the goal line stuffing of Lacy. And there is no reason he should return. Aleady he is a 1st rounder and that Georgia defense is going to lose most likely 6 starters to the draft. No, he could only reduce his stock by staying i feel.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 43979

Quote:
You must have missed the goal line stuffing of Lacy. And there is no reason he should return. Aleady he is a 1st rounder and that Georgia defense is going to lose most likely 6 starters to the draft. No, he could only reduce his stock by staying i feel.
You must have missed him getting trucked by Yeldon.

WTS. I'm sure he's gonna declare
Old 12-02-2012, 05:23 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 60

I like Ogletree in the top of the 2nd if available, but for those that are suggesting a Burfict/Ogletree/Porter or Barr trio at LB do you really think its a good idea starting two rookie linebackers?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
You must have missed him getting trucked by Yeldon.

WTS. I'm sure he's gonna declare
No, I saw that. I also know at that point that the D was completely gassed from being on the field for way too long. Regardless, he needs to add a good 15 lbs of muscle, but with that frame it should be a non issue.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4313

Quote:
No, I saw that. I also know at that point that the D was completely gassed from being on the field for way too long. Regardless, he needs to add a good 15 lbs of muscle, but with that frame it should be a non issue.
Yeah, Athens, Georgia doesn't have a monopoly on muscle weight gain. A guy like that could put on serious weight no problem before next season, if asked to.