Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5714
Default Rank our greatest positions of need

Possible Positions

Defense

Cornerback: You could argue there is some youth on the roster now (Kirkpatrick), however some of it is injured (Prater, Rogers, Ghee). We know Marvin likes to take this position high, but maybe it isn't an urgent need. Hall obviously will be a starter for a long time to come. Jones and Allen will (not great, but decent depth) will be here for awhile, and we may still get some mileage out of Clements, Newman and Jones.

LB: At OLB Lawson and Howard are adequate yet aging, Burfict is fantastic. But then the question becomes, where do you play Burfict? Maybe he is destined for the middle. Anyways, where ever he doesn't end up, you probably should spend an early draft pick. It looks like Lamur is on the active roster now. Loved watching him in the preseason, but I don't think he has actually gotten on the field yet. V Rey and Skuta are overrated and not starters, and you have to believe the clock is running out for Dontay Moch to show up. And of course the debate rages on about Rey M.

If it were up to me, I'd draft an MLB as high as I can. As long as Burfict is OK with staying at OLB, you can then get a real defensive leader in the middle. Rey can compete for the job until he loses it.

S: Every year we talk about drafting a safety high, but it hasn't happened and some draft experts will tell you it is a bad position to go after early on (even Eric Berry hasn't been that impressive this year). And again, we have some developing talent on our roster, the question is, will they ever get there and be healthy? I was impressed with Tony Dye in pre-season. Nelson is a lock of course, and usually he's healthy but he was injured recently. Crocker and Clements are decent, but aging. Mays and Miles got a chance, it isn't clear if they'll get another, or be content to be depth. And one wonders if Iloka and Sands will turn into anything. I'd say, given the other needs the Bengals have, Safety is actually a lower priority than people think.

DE: This is a high need position IMO. Dunlap and Johnson have been getting it done, but sometimes just barely. Dunlap is oft injured and Johnson disappears at times. And while I respect Gilberry (who has turned into a nice find) and Geathers, an upgrade would be very welcome here. And yes, I am writing off Jamaal Anderson. I'd rather see Dequin Evans get a shot. Anderson was just awful.

DT: Geno, Peko and company are probably set for awhile, assuming Still really developes. No need to draft here.

Offense

QB: I'm still up for drafting a late rounder as a backup. I guess that's what Zac Robinson is for. Gradkowski isn't a long term solution if any sort of real injury happens, but hopefully that won't happen.

WR: AJ, Hawkins and Sanu in the middle, and Jones have all looked solid here. Is Tate a long term solution? Are Whalen and Binns more than just scrubbs? You could argue this is not a position of need, and I'd say it certainly isn't as important as some other positions on offense.

TE/FB: I'm going to say there isn't a real need here. Gresham the best TE in the league, but he does have impressive moments. Good hands and hard to bring down. Physically large. Could be better at blocking for being a former first round pick, but mostly he is adequate. Orson Charles looks like a decent backup. You might make the case for getting another fullback. Pressley doesn't see the field much now. Hard to say if that is his fault or just the nature of running a West Coast offense.

RB: Well here it is. What do you do about RB? First round pick? First second rounder? Second second rounder? I think we all agree that you're looking for high pick here. BJGE will be on the team next year, and so will Cedric Peerman. I think Leonard or Scott will go and then we draft one more guy probably in the second round (that's the round Marvin took Kenny Irons, right?) maybe even late in the second round. They'll ease him in rotationally. And they won't give up on BJGE. It has been said before, but it is worth repeating, part of the problem is with the offensive line. So we'll talk about spending another high pick there.

OT: It is possible that Andre Smith will not get re-signed, in which case OT might become an actual draft need. On the other hand, the Bengals might fill that spot with another FA. I'm not a huge believer in Dennis Roland or Anthony Collins, but Collins is at least reasonably good depth. Maybe a mid/late round pick for depth will go for OT.

G: Well, Zeitler is fine, but when Wharton comes back, is he competing with Boling for a job on that side? Probably not. Yet Boling is still kind of mediocre. Could try to updgrade either through FA or the draft. It is important enough to the running game that something is done at this spot, even before getting another RB.

C: Well, Cook should be getting healthy, and Robinson has looked good though he is undersized. Faine was a stopgap, and did well in that capacity. None of these guys are a pro-bowl Center though. I would love to be able to spend a lot of high picks on the interior line, but needs coupled with the Best Pick Available really should make the final determination.

So how do I rank the positions of need (from highest to lowest)?

1. G
2. DE
2. RB
3. OLB
4. CB
5. C
6. QB
7. OT
Old 11-18-2012, 10:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7519
Default Re: Rank our greatest positions of need

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
G: Well, Zeitler is fine, but when Wharton comes back, is he competing with Boling for a job on that side? Probably not. Yet Boling is still kind of mediocre. Could try to updgrade either through FA or the draft. It is important enough to the running game that something is done at this spot, even before getting another RB.

So how do I rank the positions of need (from highest to lowest)?

1. G
2. DE
2. RB
3. OLB
4. CB
5. C
6. QB
7. OT
Boling is ranked in the top 10. Zeitler is ranked in the top 5.

How is guard our biggest need?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2266

1. RB - obvious

2. SS - obvious

3. DE - inconsistent play from MJ and Dunlap injured too often, behind them there isnt much to talk about.

4.OLB - Thomas Howard should be brought back, Burfict can take over the middle and that leaves the hole left by Manny and Moch.

5. WR - AJ is a beast at 1, Sanu has shown he is a player, Hawkins is a good player, after that we have nothing, Marvin Jones has done nothing yet so that #2 spot seems wide open. This need could move up if Marvin Jones doesn't show something this season.

6. CB - I like our depth here with Hall - Dre - Allen - Pacman - Then look mid to late round for a guy to come in and compete.

The rest is secondary to these needs.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones4980 View Post
1. RB - obvious

2. SS - obvious

3. DE - inconsistent play from MJ and Dunlap injured too often, behind them there isnt much to talk about.

4.OLB - Thomas Howard should be brought back, Burfict can take over the middle and that leaves the hole left by Manny and Moch.

5. WR - AJ is a beast at 1, Sanu has shown he is a player, Hawkins is a good player, after that we have nothing, Marvin Jones has done nothing yet so that #2 spot seems wide open. This need could move up if Marvin Jones doesn't show something this season.

6. CB - I like our depth here with Hall - Dre - Allen - Pacman - Then look mid to late round for a guy to come in and compete.

The rest is secondary to these needs.
Totally agree.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5714

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post

When we're losing games, the heart of the breakdown is the interior line. The run blocking isn't there, and Dalton averages 2.3 seconds before releasing the ball on passing plays (least amount of time holding the ball in the league). Are you telling me our line isn't a problem? Do you think it is all the Center that is the issue?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
When we're losing games, the heart of the breakdown is the interior line. The run blocking isn't there, and Dalton averages 2.3 seconds before releasing the ball on passing plays (least amount of time holding the ball in the league). Are you telling me our line isn't a problem? Do you think it is all the Center that is the issue?
I think the center play was a huge reason we were struggling. When I watched the games, all I saw was Jeff Faine blowing his assignment, and Zeitler or Boling having to block two guys. Saw it half a dozen times. Now that Robinson is playing average, the line has improved.

Not saying Boling is an all pro, but he's definitely putting in his part.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1738

1. Rb
2. Olb
3. De
4. Ss
5. C
Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22120

Linebacker- Bengals have a lot of freedom here, with Vontaze playing WILL, but could easily move into MIKE, and either release Rey, of move him back to SAM. I could see them going after an outside linebacker, and bumping Burfict into the middle to lead the defense. Maybe they get a second linebacker later, or will rely on a 1 year deal vet to solidify the strong side.

Running Back- Definitely a need, but with as solid as the o-line looks, I'm not certain it's the #1 priority of this draft. Hope the Bengals acquire 2 backs, as I'm not sold on anyone on the current roster being a solution.

Safety- No one except Nelson gets it done, and think Reggie would look even better when paired with a decent safety. Plus it would make the whole defense better, adding to coverage sacks ` and whatnot.

Wide Receiver- Bengals need to find a big, fast guy to play opposite Green on the outside. I like Sanu, and think he will be the receiver I predicted, reliable, great blocker, and vital on the short and intermediate routes, but another speed threat is needed. Jones might fill that role, but prefer a bigger target.

Fullback- Pressley is too one dimensional, and a versatile FB would really open up the offense, and possibly cure the short yardage issue.

Center- Pending how the Cook/Robinson situation plays out.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8736

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Fullback- Pressley is too one dimensional, and a versatile FB would really open up the offense, and possibly cure the short yardage issue.
We could always revive the Dan Coats experiment.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6419

Biggest position of need? That's simple, ask yourself who is the worst starter on this team right now?

1. Safety - Mays, Crocker, Clements. They make a decent group, but just the fact that Crocker was brought back ought to tell you something.

2. LB - This one gets more interesting as Rey starts to play better. Burfict looks like he is a keeper.

3. RB - One stallion would make this group great.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29560

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post

I wondered the same thing.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11472

I don't see how people can say that we have two top 10 guards. PFF is no way to gauge the actual value of a player. Taking in what they say we have one of, if not the best offensive line in football with Whitworth, Boling, and Zietler all around the best at their positions and Andre Smith not far behind them.

Unfortunately when you watch games outside of the Cincinnati market you can see that while the Bengals have solid pieces along their offensive line, they are no where near the best in the league (or even individually the best at their positions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
We are all standing on loose dirt, biding our time until we are swallowed by Mother Earth
Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Let me be broad here:

1. Middle of the field defensively
- Whether its linebackers dropping back into coverage or safeties playing short zone, it feels like the middle of the field is always open against us.

2. Consistent running game
- The Law Firm and Peerman both had a nice game but from an overall standpoint, it's been a big weakness this year. Take the pressure of Dalton = less INTs

LB
SS
RB

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
Let me be broad here:

1. Middle of the field defensively
- Whether its linebackers dropping back into coverage or safeties playing short zone, it feels like the middle of the field is always open against us.

2. Consistent running game
- The Law Firm and Peerman both had a nice game but from an overall standpoint, it's been a big weakness this year. Take the pressure of Dalton = less INTs

LB
SS
RB
I agree 100% with this! I think having two picks in the 2nd round gives us some flexibility on whether to take a Safety or RB with our 2A pick. Just depends on who is on the board and who the Bengals really like.

Only question now, is who do we look at for the LB position in the 1st round? If we continue to win, we may end up looking to trade down in the first round to secure another 2nd round pick. We never had a chance at Jarvis Jones, and right now Manti Te'o is out of our reach. Ogletree, Mosley will be there I am sure when we pick but Im still not sold on either of them.

The more we win, the more confused and mixed up I get on who we should take.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24240

Defense:

Defensive End
Safety
Linebacker
Nose Tackle

Offense:

Running Back
Center
Wide Receiver
Old 11-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

LB: Rey is offering too little too late and in general the cupboard is bare. We need an infusion of speed and athleticism.

DE: Inconsistent pressure and lack of quality depth stifles much bally hooed rotation. MJ should not be taking 80%+ of the snaps. And Dunlap is hurt way too often.

Safety: We have been so bad there for so long that we are happy Chris Crocker is back to offer stability... Chris ****ing Crocker people...

RB: Our RBBC approach is DOA.

C: We are hoping to get Cook back soon. Hoping to get Cook...

CB: Allen is a journey man on a short term deal, Newman is old and Prater never was. Jones may or may not be back.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18694

This is hard because some games guys will show up and then others they'll completely disappear.

Last night was the first time I have been happy with how our backs played and they looked like a legitimate threat.

However, I do think Gio Bernard out of North Carolina would be our Ray Rice and would be awesome in a west coast system. He could bring our offense to the next level.

Backer is confusing as hell because I was all for moving Burfict to MIKE and saying buh-bye to Rey, but then Rey starts playing, so do we trust that?

If we keep Rey, move Burfict to SAM and draft a WILL.

Safety is probably our biggest need, especially in our division.

We're good with MJ and then maybe a rotation with Dunlap and Geathers, but do we draft one early to give us a fresh punch?

1. Safety
2. Running back
3. WILL
4. DE
5. No clue because we really don't have that many holes

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
This is hard because some games guys will show up and then others they'll completely disappear.

Last night was the first time I have been happy with how our backs played and they looked like a legitimate threat.

However, I do think Gio Bernard out of North Carolina would be our Ray Rice and would be awesome in a west coast system. He could bring our offense to the next level.

Backer is confusing as hell because I was all for moving Burfict to MIKE and saying buh-bye to Rey, but then Rey starts playing, so do we trust that?

If we keep Rey, move Burfict to SAM and draft a WILL.

Safety is probably our biggest need, especially in our division.

We're good with MJ and then maybe a rotation with Dunlap and Geathers, but do we draft one early to give us a fresh punch?

1. Safety
2. Running back
3. WILL
4. DE
5. No clue because we really don't have that many holes
1. Those are the ones that need looked at.

2. No we are not good. Im confused how this has been good. When we play good teams, more often than not we let their QB sit and pick us apart but hey! We got ONE sack so the streak lives! Fact is MJ does not show up enough. He just doesn't. Especially with the reps he gets. Dunlap is entirely too unreliable. You can't trust him week to week. The only reason you rotate that much is lack of real talent. We need closer to a 75-25 rotation with 2 really good starters and solid back ups. Not 50-50 or whatever we do now. You can't build momentum and you probably lack talent. Dunlap is looking more and more like a guy who should be coming in on 3rd downs only if he has another case of the ouchies. MJ is a decent guy vs the run but just offers so little in pass rush. (Spare me the numbers on his sacks. They aren't that impressive when context is added.) When we win games it is because we win upfront. Our secondary isn't nearly as bad when our DL actually does their job.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1 View Post
I don't see how people can say that we have two top 10 guards. PFF is no way to gauge the actual value of a player. Taking in what they say we have one of, if not the best offensive line in football with Whitworth, Boling, and Zietler all around the best at their positions and Andre Smith not far behind them.

Unfortunately when you watch games outside of the Cincinnati market you can see that while the Bengals have solid pieces along their offensive line, they are no where near the best in the league (or even individually the best at their positions).
I agree that there is no way Boling and Zeitler are near the top of their positions. That PFF stuff is a bunch of crap and anyone who pays attention to it is an idiot.

That being said, I disagree that guard is a big need. I think the only think lacking is experience. Both those guys are going to be good, and have been getting better every week. Robinson has been impressive at center as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

No real glaring holes, so take the best players who will have the biggest impact. Take playmakers - regardless of position.

You never know what position is going to be a "need" next season. I remember when we drafted Geno Atkins, a lot of people complained about the pick because they thought we had bigger needs at other positions. You win by drafting playmakers who will impact games.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44853

Though I strongly agree with S being a position of high need, experience tells me to let all of you know that you can kiss the idea of drafting a S in the 1st few rounds goodbye. S has been a need here, for years. The past few drafts have all yeilded some nice ones, the Bengals always pass for other positions as priority (seemingly).

But, otherwise I completely agree, and see the team seeing that LB, RB, DE, and T being the picks they choose to fill.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2266

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Though I strongly agree with S being a position of high need, experience tells me to let all of you know that you can kiss the idea of drafting a S in the 1st few rounds goodbye. S has been a need here, for years. The past few drafts have all yeilded some nice ones, the Bengals always pass for other positions as priority (seemingly).

But, otherwise I completely agree, and see the team seeing that LB, RB, DE, and T being the picks they choose to fill.
People said the same thing about OG and trades last year and look at what happened.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
People said the same thing about OG and trades last year and look at what happened.
And TE when we took Gresham
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29560

OLB
SS
RB
CB
Depth

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44853

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
And TE when we took Gresham

Hey, I'm with you both. I really hope that they squeeze the trigger on the best S available, without reaching. I just choose not to get my hopes up again.