Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Bengals season over?
Yes. They are toast, no shot at playoffs 31 36.05%
Bengals make playoffs for consecutive seasons 55 63.95%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231
Default Re: Those that said Bengals were done 2 weeks ago, still think that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyG2 View Post
Many of you proclaimed on here 2 weeks ago that the Bengals season was over and they had no shot. It is well documented who you folks are. After dominating the Giants and Chiefs back to back and getting to .500, which leaves them only one game back in the wild card spot, do you still the same about your Bengals?

I think the Bengals are going to continue the streak and end the season with the last wild card spot in the AFC. What say you?

I am interested to see what those that jumped off the ship say now and why.

Who-Dey!
You gotta stop making Threads like this Denny, every time you do the Bengals go on a losing streak.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmangoud View Post
Yes--too many holes. This is not a play-off team.
You must have tunnel vision if you missed the hole left by the Colts in New England actually calling that a hole might be generous, it looked more like a crater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utts View Post
No shot. They are playing better, but not good enough to dig themselves out of the hole they put themselves in.
And the Colts are to sustain themselves after that in New England?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
You must have tunnel vision if you missed the hole left by the Colts in New England actually calling that a hole might be generous, it looked more like a crater

And the Colts are to sustain themselves after that in New England?
I see 3 more losses for the Colts, easy.

They still play the Texans twice and Detroit could beat them.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post

I wouldnt rule out Buffalo either seeing how unlike the Colts, the Bills came from behind and had the Patriots on the ropes in the last minute and then had that controlled win over Miami plus 10 days off from that as well
Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2631

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post

I do not, they are 4-3 in the AFC, you are even saying you think they will win against Buffalo, Tennessee, and KC. That would give them 7 AFC wins. You also must realize that one of those Houston games is week 17, a game in which they will most likely already have the division and first round bye locked up.

As to the OP, until we are mathematically eliminated we still have a shot, and no one that is a fan (which is everyone here) would ever wish that don't make the playoffs. I just think it is too big of a hole to dig out of, we have tough games that we must win, on the road against San Diego, and on the road against Pittsburgh.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post
I do not, they are 4-3 in the AFC, you are even saying you think they will win against Buffalo, Tennessee, and KC. That would give them 7 AFC wins. You also must realize that one of those Houston games is week 17, a game in which they will most likely already have the division and first round bye locked up.

As to the OP, until we are mathematically eliminated we still have a shot, and no one that is a fan (which is everyone here) would ever wish that don't make the playoffs. I just think it is too big of a hole to dig out of, we have tough games that we must win, on the road against San Diego, and on the road against Pittsburgh.
Denver and New England have schedules where many are saying they will probably win out, one of those New England games are against Houston on a Monday Night next month in New England and they will probably be favored to win that game, and if they do, they would be 1 game back of Houston which would then force Houston to play out to the end just to hang onto home field or else lose it on a tiebreaker and after what the Colts showed yesterday, who are they for anyone to say they can beat Houston regardless of whether Houston 'needs' it or not?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1933

Its up to andy dalton if he plays the way he has played last 3 weeks we make it. If he reverts back to the player in the first 7 we finish .500. Its alot to ask of a 2nd year qb to keep playing like this though. we will have best qb on the field through out rest of the regular season. hes still learning though.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32089

I said the season was over after the 3-5 start. My opinion was probably fueled by frustration, but I said what I said. We were 3-5, with a 1-3 division record and a 2-5 conference record. We were 2 games behind the Steelers and red hot Colts. We'd lost 4 straight AFC games. Basically, it was a nightmare start.

Who would've guessed that we'd win our next 2 games and our wild-card competition would start losing? Who would've guessed Roethlisberger would sustain a serious injury? The stars are aligning and things are starting to fall in place for a possible playoff run. Maybe. We still need to finish at least 4-2 to have a shot.

Let me stress that I'm a Bengals fan and I want the team to win. If that means I was wrong about what I said 2 weeks ago, so be it. What I would like to know, Denny, is did you make any threads calling yourself out in '08 or '10? Because for some reason I have a feeling you predicted playoff berths those years too.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9137

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyG2 View Post
Many of you proclaimed on here 2 weeks ago that the Bengals season was over and they had no shot. It is well documented who you folks are. After dominating the Giants and Chiefs back to back and getting to .500, which leaves them only one game back in the wild card spot, do you still the same about your Bengals?

I think the Bengals are going to continue the streak and end the season with the last wild card spot in the AFC. What say you?

I am interested to see what those that jumped off the ship say now and why.

Who-Dey!
"...well documented..."? "...jumped off the ship..."? Wow, this deserves some kind of award for creepiness and passive aggressiveness! (Love how the first option is "..toast, no shot at the playoffs", which is probably not what most people who think we likely miss the playoffs are actually thinking)

I was optimistic before the season started, predicting 10-6, but, yeah, sue me for losing a little faith when we lost four straight games to teams whose records were 1-3, 0-5, 2-3 and 4-3 at the time we played them. I guess I better be careful what I say now, since it will be well documented for future, but I do think we've dug ourselves too big of a hole and will likely come up just short of the playoffs as the 7th best team in the AFC. I would certainly not say that the Bengals season is over ... still plenty to play for right now (which is why I didn't vote in this extremely absurd poll with incredibly limited options for expressing an opinion).
Old 11-20-2012, 01:55 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 218

I don't know. Think they can only afford one, maybe two more losses. If they drop three of these next six, then nope. :(
Old 11-20-2012, 02:34 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9392

Alot of cards have to fall in place in order for us to get that 6th seed.. Colts need to keep losing with an easier schedule than us, and we need to keep winning with a tougher one. I still say with a 9-7 record we miss the post season. We will go 8-8 though, we will drop one of the Dallas or San Diego games, and get drubbed again by Baltimore and Pittsburgh.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:41 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16807

Of course there's a shot they can make the playoffs. And of course they're not guaranteed to make it though either. The real answer lies in between these options. It may lean heavily one way or another in some minds but it's certainly not cut and dried when choosing at one side or the other.

Fwiw, if I was asked to put a wager on it and had to choose, I'd go with "no". Here's why:

1.)
Marvin's teams generally seem to finish off the year poorly when the playoffs and/or any seeding is on the line.

----2003. They had a 7-5 record with 4 games to play and went 1-3 to finish 8-8. In that, they also had a 8-6 record with 2 games to play and lost both.

----2005. They started out the year 11-3 and were playing for home field advantage and a possible bye. Lost two final games to finish 11-5 and had to play in the Wild Card round.

----2006. They were 8-5 and lost all 3 of their final 3 games to finish 8-8.

----2009. They started the year out 9-3 and finished 1-3 in their final 4 games to end up at 10-6. Missed out on any potential bye and homefield throughout and lost in the Wild Card Round.

----2010. They started the year 6-2, only to finish 9-7. They went 3-5 in the 2nd half of the year to limp into the playoffs.

2.) This team lost 4 straight. Good teams do not lose 4 straight. Be it coaching, be it personnel (I say it's coaching), this team has had consistency issues.

3.) They haven't had back to back winning seasons in over 30 years.

4.) They've lost their last 4 games against Baltimore. They've lost their last 5 against Pittsburgh. We may need to both of these games if we slip at all in any other game.

5.) San Diego is there. We play horrible on the West Cost. Our record under Marvin is awful when we play in pacific time. Hopefully we win, but certainly nothing to bank on yet.

6.) We play Philly on National TV on a Thurs night. I don't think we've won a Night game since 2005 or so.

7.) Our AFC record is still hurting us.

8.) It's a Mike Brown led team, with less resources than everyone left on their schedule employs. We've all seen this story before.

Fwiw, here's why I think we could make the playoffs:

1.)
We're .500, lots of teams are in the mix in the AFC.

2.) Every team outside of Baltimore is an absolute mess that's left on our schedule.

3.) Anything can happen.

4.) We're certainly due/Law of averages

5.) This is a young team, that may continue to improve while other teams on our schedule may be regressing.

Last edited by Toast Jones; 11-20-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 326

I dont know if this team has what it takes to make the playoffs or not. One thing I do know though, is that last year, the Super Bowl Champion NY Giants lost 4 straight games in the regular season. They were 6-6 after week 12 and 7-7 after week 14. They finished the season 9-7 and then went on to win the SuperBowl. The Bengals are playing their best football right now. I just hope they continue to do so.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32089

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbacalao View Post
I dont know if this team has what it takes to make the playoffs or not. One thing I do know though, is that last year, the Super Bowl Champion NY Giants lost 4 straight games in the regular season. They were 6-6 after week 12 and 7-7 after week 14. They finished the season 9-7 and then went on to win the SuperBowl. The Bengals are playing their best football right now. I just hope they continue to do so.
I do agree with you and bfine on this. It would definitely be good to head into the playoffs on a hot streak, rather than sliding in like we did in 2005, 2009 and last year.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3438

Hate to jump too much ahead, because this is a game by game league. The competition for the last two spots should be between the Bengals, Colts, Pittsburgh, and of the 4-6 teams I would pick San Diego because they have more home games to play and YTD they have a positive point differential. We happen to play both Pittsburgh and San Diego on the road. If we lose both those games and end up at 9-7, i honestly don't know what the tie breakers would be, but we might need to win 1 of those 2 and finish at 10-6.

Last edited by goalpost; 11-20-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
of the 4-6 teams I would pick San Diego because they have more home games to play and YTD they have a positive point differential. We happen to play both Pittsburgh and San Diego on the road. If we lose both those game and end up at 9-7, i honestly don't know what the tie breakers would be, but we might need to win 1 of those 2 and finish at 10-6.
I think you're overestimating San Diego, they havent beaten a team with more than 1 win at the time of when they've played, I'm not saying the Bengals would walk past them to win but I dont see the Chargers reeling off at least 5 wins when they have 3 in a row with Baltimore, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh

0-0 Oakland
0-1 Tennessee
1-3 Kansas City
1-6 Kansas City

the 4-6 team to watch out for has to be Buffalo, they have probably the most favorable schedule left

@ 6-4 Indianapolis
vs 2-8 Jacksonville
vs 3-6-1 St. Louis
vs*6-4 Seattle
@ 4-6 Miami
vs 4-6 NY Jets

I put the asterix on the Seattle game because it's in Toronto and the Toronto crowds have made it feel like a neutral site game than a home game but none of those games are any mismatches where anyone would say they have no chance to win

Last edited by Bengals Mike; 11-20-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23292

What constitutes done?

If not making the playoffs constitutes done, then sure I think they're done. It fits with my beginning of the year prediction of 8-8, +/- 1 game either way. 9-7 might not be good enough for the playoffs, so logically, the Bengals might not have turned things around in time.

But like others here, I post whether the team is winning or losing. What many cannot respect is fairweather fans who only show up when the team is winning, and disappear when the team is in a tailspin. That is well documented as well...

Not that making it to the playoffs matters, as Black Jesus has yet show any sort of competence coaching in the post season, and the team hasn't looked prepared when they make an appearance.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1032

The Colts are 2-1
Steelers are 1-1
Bengals are 1-3

The only other AFC teams to have lost three div games are the Browns, Jags and Buffalo.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

C'mon guys...this thread is not dumb. BTW what do you think of that Andy Dalton? Is he:

A. The next Joe Montana

-or-

B. The next Jamarcus Russell
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7177

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
C'mon guys...this thread is not dumb. BTW what do you think of that Andy Dalton? Is he:

A. The next Joe Montana

-or-

B. The next Jamarcus Russell

A. For sure !
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utts View Post
Link to your preseason picks please?

Did you not read what I said? I always predict (hope) we're going to win every game we play. Obviously, if we get it going on all cylinders, we can beat anybody.

I didn't make no preseason pick. Why would I care about what we do in pre-season?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6688

Im sad to say, I was one of the people who felt the season was in the toilet.....after Pittsburg I was in a funk about these guys. I have to say I think all my complaining actually helped spark some life into this team. I bet Andy, Marvin, Gresh, REY and the guys were reading all my complaints and said "Lets win a few for this big crybaby guys" ....JKJK...I have to say my foot tastes pretty gamey though, and I'm hoping we keep the ball rolling. GREAT JOB BENGALS!! Proud of ya ..if it means anything

Throw his way and feel the FULL NELSON SUCKAS!!

INTENSITY!!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2857

I for one will never jump off. I made it through the 90's so I can make it through anything. What I did say even before the season started was that this was an 8-8 team. Right now I am right in line with that. When they were 3-5 I thought maybe 6-10 or 7-9 was more like it. When I predicted 8-8 I counted wins over the browns and dolphins. When this season is over those two games might haunt the Bengals. The Giants win was huge and not one I predicted. Now they have to go out and win a couple of games no one thought they would.

They still may make the playoffs but they have to take care of business and win on the road and the west coast IMO. They have to beat Oakland, They have to win @ SD which would eliminate the chargers essentially. Thats 7-5. I then think they have to at least go 2-2 in the last four to have a chance. 3-1 over the last 4 would propbably do it. They will need help since their AFC record is so poor. The Colts still play the Texans twice, The steelers play Baltimore and have maybe 3-4 more weeks without Ben.
IMO we need to root for Baltimore to keep winning and Houston. Maybe just maybe, the Ravens will rest their guys the last game of the season.
Bottom Line is I know as a Bengals fan to never get your hops to high. Focus on the next game. This team is 5-5 but they are basically 2 games out due to tie breakers. 4-2 or 5-1 over the last 6 might do it but they have to beat Carson and the Raiders first. Everygame is like a playoff game right now
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1011

Quote:
One thing I do know though, is that last year, the Super Bowl Champion NY Giants lost 4 straight games in the regular season. They were 6-6 after week 12 and 7-7 after week 14. They finished the season 9-7 and then went on to win the SuperBowl. The Bengals are playing their best football right now. I just hope they continue to do so.
I don't think this is a fair comparison at all, but I'm on board with the sentiment. I still think reaching the playoffs is a long shot, but it's been easier to convince myself since Sunday that it's not entirely impossible.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9137

Quote:
Fair enough. I think the difference, though, is 9-7 was good enough to get the Giants in the playoffs as division champs, hosting their first playoff game (anybody think they shut out the Falcons offense if they have to play on the road?) We're fighting for a wildcard spot, and don't have the tiebreakers in our favor as things stand now (more below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
Hate to jump too much ahead, because this is a game by game league. The competition for the last two spots should be between the Bengals, Colts, Pittsburgh, and of the 4-6 teams I would pick San Diego because they have more home games to play and YTD they have a positive point differential. We happen to play both Pittsburgh and San Diego on the road. If we lose both those games and end up at 9-7, i honestly don't know what the tie breakers would be, but we might need to win 1 of those 2 and finish at 10-6.
If we finish 9-7 and our other two losses are to Pitt and San Diego we would be in bad shape with tiebreakers. We'd really only make the playoffs if the Colts slump to 8-8, because they'd definitely win a tiebreaker with us based on better conference record in that scenario (and, obviously, Pitt would have swept us in this scenario)