Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24040
Default Re: Flirting vs. Friendly

People who are unaccustomed to people treating them nicely or with affection on a regular basis often have issue with distinguishing between friendly and flirting. A great example of this was my friend Brent who bartended Uptown on "alternative" Tuesdays back when I was a bouncer. He always made great cash and was hit on constantly. I asked him about it one night when we were closing down the bar.

He seemed sort of depressed about it, and stated he wasn't doing anything different than he does any other night. The difference was in how they were treated outside the bar on a daily basis, like they were something other than normal for the preferences and appetites. Because of how they were treated daily, his interest in their lives, and general friendly banter came off as him sharing more of a bond and being "interested" in them more that was the actuality.

Long story short, I feel bad for people like that, that they might not have general affection and acceptance in their regular lives and therefore cannot distinguish between that and simply being friendly in public.

Pretty depressing story you shared.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDfanatic View Post
I was accused today (by a complete stranger nevertheless) of being a "creeper", which I'm assuming is a bad term by the expressions of the young ladies. Setting the scene, I was getting coffee at Starbucks this morning, and I was standing in line. Two women, mid 20s I suppose, were behind me. I told them to go ahead and order before me because I was still determining what I was going to buy. They thanked me. They went ahead. After they ordered, I ordered. While we were standing there waiting for our different drinks, I noticed one of them had an Irish sweatshirt on. I can't refuse complimenting people who wear the Notre Dame logo, so I smiled. I told her, "That's a great shirt," and I made a comment about the football program. I asked them if they had gone to the university, and that's when the man called their order up. They grabbed their coffees, passed me with equal smirks, and one of them laughed under her breath. "Old creeper" is what I heard. I later found out that it's not a sign of endearment.

So here's my question to the youth of this board. When did being friendly turn into flirting? When did making simple conversation turn into "creepy"? There was no ill intent on my part. I don't get it.

Dont worry about those women just *****es...
Old 11-20-2012, 12:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
People who are unaccustomed to people treating them nicely or with affection on a regular basis often have issue with distinguishing between friendly and flirting. A great example of this was my friend Brent who bartended Uptown on "alternative" Tuesdays back when I was a bouncer. He always made great cash and was hit on constantly. I asked him about it one night when we were closing down the bar.

He seemed sort of depressed about it, and stated he wasn't doing anything different than he does any other night. The difference was in how they were treated outside the bar on a daily basis, like they were something other than normal for the preferences and appetites. Because of how they were treated daily, his interest in their lives, and general friendly banter came off as him sharing more of a bond and being "interested" in them more that was the actuality.

Long story short, I feel bad for people like that, that they might not have general affection and acceptance in their regular lives and therefore cannot distinguish between that and simply being friendly in public.

Pretty depressing story you shared.
its they way society has evolved. which *****...

I still hold doors for people say thank you and your welcome even when ordering drive thru food. (i used to work that kinda of job and know it ***** so the least i can do is be polite *unles they get it wrong*) But people even seem completely surprised to hear someone say thank you for something as simple as taking their order.

Common Courtesy is EnDangered.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1455

Quote:
I was accused today (by a complete stranger nevertheless) of being a "creeper", which I'm assuming is a bad term by the expressions of the young ladies. Setting the scene, I was getting coffee at Starbucks this morning, and I was standing in line. Two women, mid 20s I suppose, were behind me. I told them to go ahead and order before me because I was still determining what I was going to buy. They thanked me. They went ahead. After they ordered, I ordered. While we were standing there waiting for our different drinks, I noticed one of them had an Irish sweatshirt on. I can't refuse complimenting people who wear the Notre Dame logo, so I smiled. I told her, "That's a great shirt," and I made a comment about the football program. I asked them if they had gone to the university, and that's when the man called their order up. They grabbed their coffees, passed me with equal smirks, and one of them laughed under her breath. "Old creeper" is what I heard. I later found out that it's not a sign of endearment.

So here's my question to the youth of this board. When did being friendly turn into flirting? When did making simple conversation turn into "creepy"? There was no ill intent on my part. I don't get it.
Next time, maybe you shouldn't go into Starbucks naked.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17036

Quote:

ND, they will wish they look as good as you do when they are your age. I'm also friendly to strangers and will drum up a conversation if they are wearing a sports shirt or maybe their favorite band's t-shirt. I've actually met friends this way. If I come off as "creepy", then I can say that I am not the one with the problem. I have friends who are barely 20 yrs old. I also have friends who are in their 60s. Those girls are lucky that you're a nice guy and let them go before you.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 56388

Terrible. I see those trixs at the Kenwood Mall all the time.

I would've pushed them down the escalator and then peed on them.

Yelling "creep on ma nuts *****es" to the probable Jingle Bells playing over the speaker

and then got the rest of my christmas shopping done in a reasonable time
Old 11-20-2012, 02:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24040

I still hold doors for people say thank you and your welcome even when ordering drive thru food. (i used to work that kinda of job and know it ***** so the least i can do is be polite *unles they get it wrong*) But people even seem completely surprised to hear someone say thank you for something as simple as taking their order.

I agree. People are too "me" centered and manners are a thing of the past. Simple civility is long gone for a good portion of Americans.

So many times "thank you" and "your welcome" are said as an automated response, not sincere of heartfelt. Heck, even if one doesn't mean it, what's the point in saying it if the other person doesn't believe you mean it?

Polite society is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Parents are failing all over.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

I agree. People are too "me" centered and manners are a thing of the past. Simple civility is long gone for a good portion of Americans.

So many times "thank you" and "your welcome" are said as an automated response, not sincere of heartfelt. Heck, even if one doesn't mean it, what's the point in saying it if the other person doesn't believe you mean it?

Polite society is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Parents are failing all over.
I still open doors for people. One thing that kills me, is when I open the doors for them, they don't even attempt to say "Thanks". When others open doors for me, I always say thanks, and I always mean it. It's what my mommie taught me to do and is who I am.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Quote:
I'm going to try this, and see what happens. I have a personal view on this, I agree that some parents are flat out failures. But I also think some of the issues with youth comes from both parents having to work in some cases, and, you just can't spank a kid anymore, society makes a fuss, and then it gets called abuse.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7297

The wheelchair and sock always works for me.

October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post

I love monster and the monster girls...
Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 56388

Quote:

I thought you were "darker" lol

in other news..... Boobies!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccracky View Post
I still open doors for people. One thing that kills me, is when I open the doors for them, they don't even attempt to say "Thanks". When others open doors for me, I always say thanks, and I always mean it. It's what my mommie taught me to do and is who I am.
I like to strike up conversations with girls in the checkout line at Wal-Mart, or Kroger. Places where they usually don't even look at you. And the more they try and avoid talking, the more I push. In fact, I went to Kroger Sunday before the game and got a cheese ball and crackers, and some other stuff, but the cashier was just half talking to me, so I paid, and then I asked her if she was mad at me. There was no one else in line, so I just kept going. I love catching people off guard.

Damn, I need to get a life.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
I'm going to try this, and see what happens. I have a personal view on this, I agree that some parents are flat out failures. But I also think some of the issues with youth comes from both parents having to work in some cases, and, you just can't spank a kid anymore, society makes a fuss, and then it gets called abuse.
I have no problem with people spanking their kids. My fiance and I, have never spanked our kids though and never will. We do other things to teach them how to behave and act. But you're right, parents are lazy or afraid of their own kids. And sometimes, kids are just bad kids. Some grow up to be amazing people, some turn out to be me.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I like to strike up conversations with girls in the checkout line at Wal-Mart, or Kroger. Places where they usually don't even look at you. And the more they try and avoid talking, the more I push. In fact, I went to Kroger Sunday before the game and got a cheese ball and crackers, and some other stuff, but the cashier was just half talking to me, so I paid, and then I asked her if she was mad at me. There was no one else in line, so I just kept going. I love catching people off guard.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

Don't let him fool you. He's like, 90! That's not him!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

Uhhhhhh.......how much do wheelchairs cost?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

You owe me......
Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I have no problem with people spanking their kids. My fiance and I, have never spanked our kids though and never will. We do other things to teach them how to behave and act. But you're right, parents are lazy or afraid of their own kids. And sometimes, kids are just bad kids. Some grow up to be amazing people, some turn out to be me.
I always spanked the wife when the kids were bad. I figure just cut right to the chase.

October 24, 1937

Old 11-20-2012, 03:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I always spanked the wife when the kids were bad. I figure just cut right to the chase.
Try again with the next kid... its a good strategy but doesnt fix the current problem.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

That's pretty good, for an old guy. BTW, I take it the arm pain is somewhat better?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

That's pretty good, for an old guy. BTW, I take it the arm pain is somewhat better?
Well yeah, but I still have to use the paddle on her.

October 24, 1937

Old 11-20-2012, 03:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

What are the laws on being drunk and operating a wheelchair in public?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well yeah, but I still have to use the paddle on her.
Ya' got any pics? My life is pretty dull right now.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
What are the laws on being drunk and operating a wheelchair in public?
$500.00 fine, and they take the chair for 6 months. You have to use a Mechanic's Creeper.