Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2469
Default Thanksgiving Mock

1) Sam Montgomery, DE LSU- Many think we shouldn't use our first round pick on a rotational player. But we need to bolster our DEs. MJ, Geathers, and Gilberry all become FAs. Montgomery has the size and skill to be great in our rotation. Our defense depends on our DL, so we need to strengthen that. Hopefully we re-sign MJ too, so our DEs would be Dunlap, MJ, Montgomery, and Anderson.

2) Chase Thomas, SLB Stanford- I have been a big fan, and he fits our mold of SAM. He is a leader on the stout Stanford D, and is very similar to Peter Boulware. Marvin has been looking for a Boulware clone since he came to Cincy, and he may well have it with Chase Thomas.

2) Kenny Vaccaro, S Texas- Vaccaro has the skill set to cover both TEs and WRs, but also is good in the run game. He is that hybrid SS/FS that Zimmer loves.

3) Johnathan Franklin, RB UCLA- Nicknamed "Jetski" for leaving defenders in his wake, Franklin has 4.50 speed. He has demonstrates good vision and toughness, and can take it to the house. He is a decent receiver (26 rec, 290 recYD), but is not great in run blocking. He has quietly put up 1441 rushing yds (6.3 YPC) with 10 rushing TDs (12 total). Franklin is a dynamic runner that would pair well with BJGE and be able to take over full time duties if necessary.

4) Jonathan Brown, LB Illinois- Brown has great instincts, plays with a nonstop motor, and has excellent speed (both straight line and lateral) for a LB. He can play both WLB and MLB, as he can cover TEs and stop RBs. He could use added bulk though to be more effective in a 4-3. He would be good depth behind Burfict, developing his pass skills and filling in when needed.

5) Marc Anthony, CB Cal- Some say we don't need a CB. Depth is always good for the CB position, and Anthony is a physical corner that excels in the run game, and is a good pass defender. His biggest knock is that he has not made many interceptions. But he has defended 20+ passes in his college career.

6) James Hurst, OT UNC- We could use depth on the OL, and Hurst can be quality depth at either tackle or guard. That is, of course, if Roland is not back. Not that I like Roland, but this franchise seems to like him. If we don't re-sign Smith though, OT need will be much higher, and should be taken within the first two rounds.

6) Theo Riddick, RB ND- A former RB-turned-WR-turned-RB for the Irish. He has the hands, quickness, agility, and vision to fit a similar role as Leonard (minus the blocking). He runs a 4.52 dash. He could fit a Dexter McCluster style of RB/WR hybrid.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20718
Default Re: Thanksgiving Mock

Im a big fan of Franklin but I think the 3rd may be too soon for him. He has had ball control issues in the past and could be a big factor in his draft stock. Otherwise, I would be really pleased with this draft.
I think you add impact guys for sure with the first 3 picks. Like I said, big fan of Franklin and if he shows ball security isn't an issue he will make an impact early too. Im just worried he might get the David Wilson treatment if he struggles protecting the rock.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1540

Not familiar with Franklin, as I don't follow much college ball besides UC, but 4.50 is nothing to write home about.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5129

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyLeisure View Post
Not familiar with Franklin, as I don't follow much college ball besides UC, but 4.50 is nothing to write home about.
40 time is overrated. Arian Foster ran a 4.67 and went undrafted, and Alfred Morris ran a 4.67 as well and went in the 6th round. Both are 4th and 5th in rushing yards.

Good draft though, I'd be pleased.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4144

Do not like the Idea of drafting two outside pass rushers(Do not mind one) especially if one of those guys will play Lb. We need speed and coverage ability at that position desperately.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
1) Sam Montgomery, DE LSU- Many think we shouldn't use our first round pick on a rotational player. But we need to bolster our DEs. MJ, Geathers, and Gilberry all become FAs. Montgomery has the size and skill to be great in our rotation. Our defense depends on our DL, so we need to strengthen that. Hopefully we re-sign MJ too, so our DEs would be Dunlap, MJ, Montgomery, and Anderson.

2) Chase Thomas, SLB Stanford- I have been a big fan, and he fits our mold of SAM. He is a leader on the stout Stanford D, and is very similar to Peter Boulware. Marvin has been looking for a Boulware clone since he came to Cincy, and he may well have it with Chase Thomas.

2) Kenny Vaccaro, S Texas- Vaccaro has the skill set to cover both TEs and WRs, but also is good in the run game. He is that hybrid SS/FS that Zimmer loves.

3) Johnathan Franklin, RB UCLA- Nicknamed "Jetski" for leaving defenders in his wake, Franklin has 4.50 speed. He has demonstrates good vision and toughness, and can take it to the house. He is a decent receiver (26 rec, 290 recYD), but is not great in run blocking. He has quietly put up 1441 rushing yds (6.3 YPC) with 10 rushing TDs (12 total). Franklin is a dynamic runner that would pair well with BJGE and be able to take over full time duties if necessary.

4) Jonathan Brown, LB Illinois- Brown has great instincts, plays with a nonstop motor, and has excellent speed (both straight line and lateral) for a LB. He can play both WLB and MLB, as he can cover TEs and stop RBs. He could use added bulk though to be more effective in a 4-3. He would be good depth behind Burfict, developing his pass skills and filling in when needed.

5) Marc Anthony, CB Cal- Some say we don't need a CB. Depth is always good for the CB position, and Anthony is a physical corner that excels in the run game, and is a good pass defender. His biggest knock is that he has not made many interceptions. But he has defended 20+ passes in his college career.

6) James Hurst, OT UNC- We could use depth on the OL, and Hurst can be quality depth at either tackle or guard. That is, of course, if Roland is not back. Not that I like Roland, but this franchise seems to like him. If we don't re-sign Smith though, OT need will be much higher, and should be taken within the first two rounds.

6) Theo Riddick, RB ND- A former RB-turned-WR-turned-RB for the Irish. He has the hands, quickness, agility, and vision to fit a similar role as Leonard (minus the blocking). He runs a 4.52 dash. He could fit a Dexter McCluster style of RB/WR hybrid.

Not a fan of Montgomery, most LSU D Linemen do not make very good pros.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Not a fan of Montgomery, most LSU D Linemen do not make very good pros.
Drake Nevis is solid. Glenn Dorsey is a good 3-4 DE (horribly miscast). Brockers has been good for a rookie.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8186

What do you guys think of Le'Veon Bell (Michigan St.)?

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.

"I don't care if it's a passing league or not. Since the beginning of time when playoffs started championship teams are built on running the ball and stopping the run. Thatís the recipe since football started. We have to be a better team in those situations. Attacking them where we know we can beat them at."
--- Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
What do you guys think of Le'Veon Bell (Michigan St.)?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Can you expand on that? Thanks.

"I don't care if it's a passing league or not. Since the beginning of time when playoffs started championship teams are built on running the ball and stopping the run. Thatís the recipe since football started. We have to be a better team in those situations. Attacking them where we know we can beat them at."
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Can you expand on that? Thanks.
Progressively worse as the season wore on. Showed lack of burst and functional speed/agility. Because of the lack of burst Id compare him to Brandon Jacobs. HUGE RB who should be a lot better than he is but takes too long to get going
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16541

Re-sign MJ and Geathers, keep a steady rotation, and address other needs early.

I think our first three picks should be, in no order, safety, running back, and OLB (even if we draft a MLB to play outside), and the rest is pretty much a luxury.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Re-sign MJ and Geathers, keep a steady rotation, and address other needs early.

I think our first three picks should be, in no order, safety, running back, and OLB (even if we draft a MLB to play outside), and the rest is pretty much a luxury.
Or acquire better talent and value and stop using a lame rotation with subpar players at DE and wonder why QBs tend to succeed on drives when we get stuck with Geathers on the field
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Progressively worse as the season wore on. Showed lack of burst and functional speed/agility. Because of the lack of burst Id compare him to Brandon Jacobs. HUGE RB who should be a lot better than he is but takes too long to get going
That's the type I was going for. I wasn't thinking breakaway speed, more in the line of a constant punch to the gut to tire out the opposing defensive line, thus slowing the pass rush later on.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
That's the type I was going for. I wasn't thinking breakaway speed, more in the line of a constant punch to the gut to tire out the opposing defensive line, thus slowing the pass rush later on.
Except he lacks the burst for that.
He is Brandon Jacobs. Looks like a tank and looks great in open space because he is so big but really isn't all that because he lacks any burst or moves to create. He is maybe a 4th rounder right now. And we have Ellis. And that's all he will amount to.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Titans Re: Thanksgiving Mock

4.50 may not be the fastest, but watch some vids of Franklin. When he hits open field, he's gone. I did consider Ellington at 2b then Rambo at 3, but I prefer a safety before a RB, as I believe RB is deeper than safety in this draft. Both positions are deep though. Franklin is a bigger back, can catch, but still has speed and can carry the load if needed. I do like Ellington though.

People are saying no DE in the first, but our pass rush is what makes our defense. Plus, Anderson can play run well too, so we don't need Geathers with the salary he makes.
Consistent pass rush is what could take our team to the next level.

As for no two rushing LBs...Thomas is exactly the style of SAM that Marvin wants. Plus, Burfict can move to middle, as he is better in coverage. Re-sign Howard, Lamur as backup, and Brown serves as LB depth for MIKE and WILL. I would prefer Bostic, but I think he's gone by our fourth.

Finally, yea berserker, I know about the early career fumbles. But he's gotten better. Everyone will fumble occasionally. If he can get stronger and learn to hold the ball better, he'd be a pretty complete RB.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
He is Brandon Jacobs. Looks like a tank and looks great in open space because he is so big but really isn't all that because he lacks any burst or moves to create. He is maybe a 4th rounder right now. And we have Ellis. And that's all he will amount to.
Yea Bell has declined. Slow, not dynamic, and whose performance depends greatly on the OL making holes for them. Like BJGE and Benson. Plenty of better options. Bernard, Randle, Ellington, Lacy, Barner, Franklin, Taylor, Graham, and even Ball.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:09 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6274

Quote:
4.50 may not be the fastest, but watch some vids of Franklin. When he hits open field, he's gone. I did consider Ellington at 2b then Rambo at 3, but I prefer a safety before a RB, as I believe RB is deeper than safety in this draft. Both positions are deep though. Franklin is a bigger back, can catch, but still has speed and can carry the load if needed. I do like Ellington though.

People are saying no DE in the first, but our pass rush is what makes our defense. Plus, Anderson can play run well too, so we don't need Geathers with the salary he makes.
Consistent pass rush is what could take our team to the next level.

As for no two rushing LBs...Thomas is exactly the style of SAM that Marvin wants. Plus, Burfict can move to middle, as he is better in coverage. Re-sign Howard, Lamur as backup, and Brown serves as LB depth for MIKE and WILL. I would prefer Bostic, but I think he's gone by our fourth.

Finally, yea berserker, I know about the early career fumbles. But he's gotten better. Everyone will fumble occasionally. If he can get stronger and learn to hold the ball better, he'd be a pretty complete RB.
I am on board with a 1st round DE. If Geathers signs cheaper, then I am okay with keeping him. If Geathers is the worst DE on the Bengals, then the Bengals have upgraded the position.

Dline: MJ/Montgomery, Peko/Thompson/Sims?, Atkins/Still, Dunlap/Geathers

LB: Howard/Lemur, Burfict/Brown, Maualuga/Thomas - Good depth. Rookies get the job after they earn it.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yea Bell has declined. Slow, not dynamic, and whose performance depends greatly on the OL making holes for them. Like BJGE and Benson. Plenty of better options. Bernard, Randle, Ellington, Lacy, Barner, Franklin, Taylor, Graham, and even Ball.
Ball is easily the toughest to gauge. Sometimes he looks like a top RB other times you wonder if he is blind when he runs.

Right now my favorite (outside of Gio) as a 3-down back is Eddie Lacy. Watch game film on him. People blow the role of the Bama line (good regardless) in Eddie's success out of proportion. Plenty of time I see him get hit at or behind the line and still make it work. He can hit the edge, block and catch. He has the best spin move in CFB. He uses it with amazing anticipation. Feels the play develop. Ellington, Barner and Graham are all change of pace types to me. Guys to rest the starter.
Randle, Taylor and Ball are 3 down types who I am just lukewarm on.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1649

Quote:

Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post

So if I post one good play from Rey you would be okay with him at MLB? Give me a break.
Jacobs is soft. He isn't a great runner because he lacks burst.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:22 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
So if I post one good play from Rey you would be okay with him at MLB? Give me a break.
Jacobs is soft. He isn't a great runner because he lacks burst.
I would definitely not want Jacobs (although I do believe he had a good year or two). On the other hand, his "prime" would be an upgrade over BJGE and Ced Ben.

I just wanted to post LaRon Landry getting blown up.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:32 AM
VIP Platinum Member

08-09 he was solid but he also got worse every other year. He was awful in short yardage (ironic) because his lack of burst.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
08-09 he was solid but he also got worse every other year. He was awful in short yardage (ironic) because his lack of burst.
It is surprising how bad he is at short yardage. Tom Coughlin clearly couldn't believe it either given how often he tried 3rd (or 4th) and 1 with Jacobs.

I wonder who would win in a race between Jacobs and BJGE...

Back on topic, I don't care for Montgomery but do like Chase Thomas.

Also down on Vaccaro, in fact, I'm down on a lot of the safety class (especially Reid). There honestly aren't many prospects I'm as excited by this year. Class overall just seems weak.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Ball is easily the toughest to gauge. Sometimes he looks like a top RB other times you wonder if he is blind when he runs.

Right now my favorite (outside of Gio) as a 3-down back is Eddie Lacy. Watch game film on him. People blow the role of the Bama line (good regardless) in Eddie's success out of proportion. Plenty of time I see him get hit at or behind the line and still make it work. He can hit the edge, block and catch. He has the best spin move in CFB. He uses it with amazing anticipation. Feels the play develop. Ellington, Barner and Graham are all change of pace types to me. Guys to rest the starter.
Randle, Taylor and Ball are 3 down types who I am just lukewarm on.
I like Eddie Lacy a lot as well. I have mocked him to us with 2B before. I was having a hard time of deciding Eddie Lacy with 2B and then safety (will Rambo be there in 3?), or else Vaccaro with 2B and a good RB in 3.

Bottom line: a very good RB and S with 2B and 3. The depth for those two positions in the draft allows for us to take both at 2B and 3. DE and SAM prospects are very top heavy in this draft, which is why I chose those two first. If we can shore up RB, DE, S, and LB with our first four picks, we should be in good shape.