Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 48,982
Rep Points: 54034
Default "Greatest ever" on current Raiders roster?

Raiders punter Shane Lechler just might be the greatest punter in the history of the NFL.

He currently holds that all-time career record for yards per punt (47.6).

He has lead the league in punting average 5 times ('03-'05, '07, '09)

His average this year is 48.5. If that holds up it would be the 17th best single season average in history, but it would only be Lechler's fifth best season.

Lechler is the only punter to average over 50 yards a punt twice (51.1 in '09, 50.8 in '11). Those are the second best and fifth best averages ever. He also has the 9th best (49.1 in '07) and the 14th (48.8 in '08).


I don't think I have ever said this about an opponent before, but I want to see Lechler get A LOT of chances to show off Sunday.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-21-2012, 04:25 PM
kevin kevin is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Carlisle, Ohio
Posts: 6,323
Rep Points: 7956
Default Re: "Greatest ever" on current Raiders roster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Raiders punter Shane Lechler just might be the greatest punter in the history of the NFL.

He currently holds that all-time career record for yards per punt (47.6).

He has lead the league in punting average 5 times ('03-'05, '07, '09)

His average this year is 48.5. If that holds up it would be the 17th best single season average in history, but it would only be Lechler's fifth best season.

Lechler is the only punter to average over 50 yards a punt twice (51.1 in '09, 50.8 in '11). Those are the second best and fifth best averages ever. He also has the 9th best (49.1 in '07) and the 14th (48.8 in '08).


I don't think I have ever said this about an opponent before, but I want to see Lechler get A LOT of chances to show off Sunday.
He may not be the best in the history of the Raiders, let alone the NFL.....Ray Guy......Ray Guy was a master of the punting game, he could coffin corner inside the 5 like it was nothing. He had the best hang time of anybody. He kicked the ball so it was hard to catch, hung high and couldn't be returned. Teams couldn't return his kicks for any yards at all, and that made him great....and he did this for many years in the NFL, a great long career......He changed the punting position in the NFL forever. Before Ray Guy, teams would never have drafted a punter. Punters weren't thought of very high by anybody. Ray Guy changed that forever. Teams soon wanted their own version of Ray Guy. ...He should be in the Hall Of Fame for changing the punting position as much as he did by being as good as he was.....Teams that had asked a Paul Hornung or a Gary Collins if they could also punt, soon decided they wanted their own Ray Guy, and all teams quickly carried punters as opposed to asking kickers, WRs or RBs to try to do the punting.

...but I hope all the Raiders can do is punt......also fumble and throw interceptions.
__________________
Bengalfan1968

Last edited by kevin; 11-21-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Slappy from New Haven's Avatar
Slappy from New Haven Slappy from New Haven is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Cackalaky
Posts: 12,719
Rep Points: 17807
Default Re: "Greatest ever" on current Raiders roster?

I will disagree with both.

Sammy Baugh was the greatest. Looking at stats is a waste of time because of the difference in football, bounce of turf, conditioning, etc but he has NFL punting records that still stand and he was a starting QB. Look him up and we can keep the discussion going
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,792
Rep Points: 18788
Default Re: "Greatest ever" on current Raiders roster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
He may not be the best in the history of the Raiders, let alone the NFL.....Ray Guy......Ray Guy was a master of the punting game, he could coffin corner inside the 5 like it was nothing. He had the best hang time of anybody. He kicked the ball so it was hard to catch, hung high and couldn't be returned. Teams couldn't return his kicks for any yards at all, and that made him great....and he did this for many years in the NFL, a great long career......He changed the punting position in the NFL forever. Before Ray Guy, teams would never have drafted a punter. Punters weren't thought of very high by anybody. Ray Guy changed that forever. Teams soon wanted their own version of Ray Guy. ...He should be in the Hall Of Fame for changing the punting position as much as he did by being as good as he was.....Teams that had asked a Paul Hornung or a Gary Collins if they could also punt, soon decided they wanted their own Ray Guy, and all teams quickly carried punters as opposed to asking kickers, WRs or RBs to try to do the punting.

...but I hope all the Raiders can do is punt......also fumble and throw interceptions.
And Lechler is still better; have you seen his precision pounts? Just as good as his boomers.
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 PM
BritishBengal's Avatar
BritishBengal BritishBengal is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,112
Rep Points: 3879
Default Re: "Greatest ever" on current Raiders roster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
If that holds up it would be the 17th best single season average in history...
My oh my, the 17th best single season punting average in NFL history, that is something to tell the grandchildren.
__________________

Forever indebted to NashvilleBengalfan for his stroke of artistic genius.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Go Cards's Avatar
Go Cards Go Cards is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Still On the Road
Posts: 4,383
Rep Points: 13509
Default Re: "Greatest ever" on current Raiders roster?

Hope to see a lot of Lechler Sunday !
__________________
14+18+25+32+85+82+12+84+77+71 x 97's Defense = Super Bowl Champions.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,865
Rep Points: 22253
Default Re: "Greatest ever" on current Raiders roster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Raiders punter Shane Lechler just might be the greatest punter in the history of the NFL.

He currently holds that all-time career record for yards per punt (47.6).

He has lead the league in punting average 5 times ('03-'05, '07, '09)

His average this year is 48.5. If that holds up it would be the 17th best single season average in history, but it would only be Lechler's fifth best season.

Lechler is the only punter to average over 50 yards a punt twice (51.1 in '09, 50.8 in '11). Those are the second best and fifth best averages ever. He also has the 9th best (49.1 in '07) and the 14th (48.8 in '08).


I don't think I have ever said this about an opponent before, but I want to see Lechler get A LOT of chances to show off Sunday.
Def. a lot of chances. Every 4th play would suit me fine.

A former Raider punter has his name on the best punter in college award.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Xs&Os Xs&Os is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 931
Rep Points: 970
Default Re: "Greatest ever" on current Raiders roster?

Raiders have historically placed quite a bit of value in their kicking and punting.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Slappy from New Haven's Avatar
Slappy from New Haven Slappy from New Haven is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Cackalaky
Posts: 12,719
Rep Points: 17807
Default Re: "Greatest ever" on current Raiders roster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xs&Os View Post
Raiders have historically placed quite a bit of value in their kicking and punting.
Wish we had in '06
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-22-2012, 12:25 AM
khamla's Avatar
khamla khamla is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,575
Rep Points: 3257
Default Re: "Greatest ever" on current Raiders roster?

5th rounder, great pick by the Raiders. They learned there lesson not to do it in round 1 or 2.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.