Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 54034
Default "Greatest ever" on current Raiders roster?

Raiders punter Shane Lechler just might be the greatest punter in the history of the NFL.

He currently holds that all-time career record for yards per punt (47.6).

He has lead the league in punting average 5 times ('03-'05, '07, '09)

His average this year is 48.5. If that holds up it would be the 17th best single season average in history, but it would only be Lechler's fifth best season.

Lechler is the only punter to average over 50 yards a punt twice (51.1 in '09, 50.8 in '11). Those are the second best and fifth best averages ever. He also has the 9th best (49.1 in '07) and the 14th (48.8 in '08).

I don't think I have ever said this about an opponent before, but I want to see Lechler get A LOT of chances to show off Sunday.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7956
Default Re: "Greatest ever" on current Raiders roster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Raiders punter Shane Lechler just might be the greatest punter in the history of the NFL.

His average this year is 48.5. If that holds up it would be the 17th best single season average in history, but it would only be Lechler's fifth best season.

Lechler is the only punter to average over 50 yards a punt twice (51.1 in '09, 50.8 in '11). Those are the second best and fifth best averages ever. He also has the 9th best (49.1 in '07) and the 14th (48.8 in '08).

I don't think I have ever said this about an opponent before, but I want to see Lechler get A LOT of chances to show off Sunday.
He may not be the best in the history of the Raiders, let alone the NFL.....Ray Guy......Ray Guy was a master of the punting game, he could coffin corner inside the 5 like it was nothing. He had the best hang time of anybody. He kicked the ball so it was hard to catch, hung high and couldn't be returned. Teams couldn't return his kicks for any yards at all, and that made him great....and he did this for many years in the NFL, a great long career......He changed the punting position in the NFL forever. Before Ray Guy, teams would never have drafted a punter. Punters weren't thought of very high by anybody. Ray Guy changed that forever. Teams soon wanted their own version of Ray Guy. ...He should be in the Hall Of Fame for changing the punting position as much as he did by being as good as he was.....Teams that had asked a Paul Hornung or a Gary Collins if they could also punt, soon decided they wanted their own Ray Guy, and all teams quickly carried punters as opposed to asking kickers, WRs or RBs to try to do the punting.

...but I hope all the Raiders can do is punt......also fumble and throw interceptions.

Last edited by kevin; 11-21-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17807

I will disagree with both.

Sammy Baugh was the greatest. Looking at stats is a waste of time because of the difference in football, bounce of turf, conditioning, etc but he has NFL punting records that still stand and he was a starting QB. Look him up and we can keep the discussion going
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18788

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
He may not be the best in the history of the Raiders, let alone the NFL.....Ray Guy......Ray Guy was a master of the punting game, he could coffin corner inside the 5 like it was nothing. He had the best hang time of anybody. He kicked the ball so it was hard to catch, hung high and couldn't be returned. Teams couldn't return his kicks for any yards at all, and that made him great....and he did this for many years in the NFL, a great long career......He changed the punting position in the NFL forever. Before Ray Guy, teams would never have drafted a punter. Punters weren't thought of very high by anybody. Ray Guy changed that forever. Teams soon wanted their own version of Ray Guy. ...He should be in the Hall Of Fame for changing the punting position as much as he did by being as good as he was.....Teams that had asked a Paul Hornung or a Gary Collins if they could also punt, soon decided they wanted their own Ray Guy, and all teams quickly carried punters as opposed to asking kickers, WRs or RBs to try to do the punting.

...but I hope all the Raiders can do is punt......also fumble and throw interceptions.
And Lechler is still better; have you seen his precision pounts? Just as good as his boomers.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3879

Quote:
If that holds up it would be the 17th best single season average in history...
My oh my, the 17th best single season punting average in NFL history, that is something to tell the grandchildren.

Forever indebted to NashvilleBengalfan for his stroke of artistic genius.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13509

Hope to see a lot of Lechler Sunday !
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22253

Quote:

Def. a lot of chances. Every 4th play would suit me fine.

A former Raider punter has his name on the best punter in college award.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 970

Raiders have historically placed quite a bit of value in their kicking and punting.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xs&Os View Post
Raiders have historically placed quite a bit of value in their kicking and punting.
Wish we had in '06
Old 11-22-2012, 12:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3257

5th rounder, great pick by the Raiders. They learned there lesson not to do it in round 1 or 2.