Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 639
Default Re: Sanu solid # 2

Sanu is our #2 with Marvin Jones putting the pressure on him next year.

We are in a great situation with a boat load of young and talented receivers.

Despite the big catch from Tate Im still not a fan and am completely fine with running the following out every game:

Green
Sanu
Jones (once healthy)
Hawkins
Whalen

Binns - as the 6th WR

As mentioned above we also have two talented and young TE's as well who can catch the ball just fine.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17822

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpjet View Post
Sanu is our #2 with Marvin Jones putting the pressure on him next year.

We are in a great situation with a boat load of young and talented receivers.

Despite the big catch from Tate Im still not a fan and am completely fine with running the following out every game:

Green
Sanu
Jones (once healthy)
Hawkins
Whalen

Binns - as the 6th WR

As mentioned above we also have two talented and young TE's as well who can catch the ball just fine.
Next year, so long as we don;t draft or sign 5 guys, we could very well have a corps of;

AJ
Sanu
MJ
Baby Hawk
Whalen
FA/Binns/Draft

if MJ can prove to be the big play guy we think he is, we don't need a WR2, and we have 2 guys that can play all over (Sanu/AJ/Whalen), 2 slot guys (Baby Hawk/Whalen), and one deep threat.

Add a sixth to be inactive, and we should be ok, IMO.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-20-2012, 07:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who2Dey View Post
I was under the assumption that he was going to be the 2 since we spent a high pick on him and he wasn't considered a "project". Jay says he practices bad...
Yes, the KC game commentators mentioned that Sanu doesn't practice well and that is what has kept him out of the lineup. Is that a coaching issue, or something else altogether?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2776

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCloud View Post
If everybody gets healthy, I see some great possibilities. Of course, it all starts with AJ Green, but we can really throw some interesting combinations out there.

After AJ, you can go with Hawkins in the slot and alternate with Sanu, depending on the matchup and the design of the play. On the outside, you can alternate with Marvin Jones and Sanu, depending on the same factors.

Marvin Jones has the ability to get deep, and with he and Green both on the field, I see incredible pressure on the safeties to help, and then look out in the middle of the field for Gresham and Sanu or Hawkins.

In my mind's eye it just looks beautiful. Unfortunately, most battle plans do not survive engagement with the enemy. Still, though, that's a lot to cover.
This is what I was thinking. Now I'm not a coach so I don't know how hard it is to game plan for 5 WR's a week. But Sanu needs to be in on short yardage and redzone, also like him in the backfield some. Hawk is a pure slot middle of the field guy but also some more screens with him would be nice. Using him on first instead of a run seems like a great wrinkle. I think M. Jones is an outside deep threat but until we see him on the field I don't know.

Bottom line, I know when we run the ball well we win. That is the problem teams stop the run they stop this team. Srew the run spend the week developing something for every WR. Then when teams are on there heals, run.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3168

I think Jones should start next week. Sanu has been ok, his best game was 49 yards. I don't see why people are over hyping him like Hobson overhyped Binns.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3192

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
I think Jones should start next week. Sanu has been ok, his best game was 49 yards. I don't see why people are over hyping him like Hobson overhyped Binns.
Big body + sure hands = Redzone threat.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3207

Quote:
What the hell? Pretty sure the guy only started one game and scored in the two he was featured in. Just because he didn't get 100 yards doesn't mean he's not the guy to feature as a #2. If Jones is healthy i'd say give him several snaps but you don't start Jones after Sanu has performed pretty admirably considering his role.

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73507

Quote:
Considering he's the third option, he's been doing very well
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
What the hell? Pretty sure the guy only started one game and scored in the two he was featured in. Just because he didn't get 100 yards doesn't mean he's not the guy to feature as a #2. If Jones is healthy i'd say give him several snaps but you don't start Jones after Sanu has performed pretty admirably considering his role.
I'm not saying he ***** but I think everyone in here is overhyping him like he had back to back 100 yard games. He's doing OK, Binns started out OK too then he disappeared, J Simpson did amazing when he got his chance then disappeared too. Don't want tone a Debbie downer I'm just being realistic. He's doing OK, but I think a lot of people are over exaggerating on how great he is. It's too early, but I'm on board with playing him more. To be honest I'm more excited about Jones in what we saw in Preseason. They both deserve a shot. I like to see a full game with Jones starting, why not?

To say not to start Jones over Sanu because Sanu has been admirable. His stats I believe are 27 yards, 29 yards, 49 yards, and 22 yards. I think those stats are ok. The 2 Tds are really good. But I don't think that's anything to wow over, also it's not like Jones can't match or best that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac18 View Post
Big body + sure hands = Redzone threat.
So is Binns, and I believe he did OK too his first few games here. People were saying the same thing about Binns they are with Sanu now. It's too early, and like i said, people are over exaggerating with how amazing he's doing. I'm happy for Sanu, but i just don't us to get carried away like we did with J. Simpson a few years ago when he had those 3 breakout games. At least that was A TRUE LEGIT reason to get excited because those games Simpson gave us were real. From what i remember he had like 3 100 yard games against tough defenses. I don't know what happen with him last year though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
Considering he's the third option, he's been doing very well
He's doing ok, but i don't know if we have a true future #2 WR yet. I don't think anyone on our #2 WR roster right now scares teams like Julio Jones does.

Last edited by khamla; 11-20-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Next year, so long as we don;t draft or sign 5 guys, we could very well have a corps of;

AJ
Sanu
MJ
Baby Hawk
Whalen
FA/Binns/Draft

if MJ can prove to be the big play guy we think he is, we don't need a WR2, and we have 2 guys that can play all over (Sanu/AJ/Whalen), 2 slot guys (Baby Hawk/Whalen), and one deep threat.

Add a sixth to be inactive, and we should be ok, IMO.
Sanu is a slot guy, imo.

As for the Sanu hype, Sanu played 63 snaps against the Chiefs and had 2 catches for 22 yards with 4 targets along with 2 rushes for 0 yards. Yes, he scored a TD. That is great.

But 4 targets of 29 passes?

Sanu is a developing player.

Marvin Jones is a complete unknown. After getting "knicked up", MJ has missed 4 weeks. Let's not prounounce MJ as the WR2 when he has caught 3 passes for 26 (along with an impressive PI play).
Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Yes, the KC game commentators mentioned that Sanu doesn't practice well and that is what has kept him out of the lineup. Is that a coaching issue, or something else altogether?
Some players just have a knack on game day that they can't tap into in practice. Maybe it just has to be played at full game speed for things to really click for him. Regardless, he's been looking solid and I hope it continues.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20161

Quote:
Why is acknowledging that a guy has done well with the opportunities given so often called overhyping? It's not just the numbers, it's what he's shown.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm not saying he ***** but I think everyone in here is overhyping him like he had back to back 100 yard games. He's doing OK, Binns started out OK too then he disappeared, J Simpson did amazing when he got his chance then disappeared too. Don't want tone a Debbie downer I'm just being realistic. He's doing OK, but I think a lot of people are over exaggerating on how great he is. It's too early, but I'm on board with playing him more. To be honest I'm more excited about Jones in what we saw in Preseason. They both deserve a shot. I like to see a full game with Jones starting, why not?
It would be a bad idea to lean on a guy like Jones coming off an injury and little playing time. I'm all for easing him into the offense though. I could see him working great in a WR rotation with Sanu swapping slot positions with Hawkins and outside with Jones.

Quote:
To say not to start Jones over Sanu because Sanu has been admirable. His stats I believe are 27 yards, 29 yards, 49 yards, and 22 yards. I think those stats are ok. The 2 Tds are really good. But I don't think that's anything to wow over, also it's not like Jones can't match or best that.
One start. Low on the depth chart. Few targets. Doesn't take a genius to see that it's too early conclude anything and certainly too soon to move on from him after he managed to get into the end zone back to back weeks.

Quote:
So is Binns, and I believe he did OK too his first few games here. People were saying the same thing about Binns they are with Sanu now. It's too early, and like i said, people are over exaggerating with how amazing he's doing. I'm happy for Sanu, but i just don't us to get carried away like we did with J. Simpson a few years ago when he had those 3 breakout games. At least that was A TRUE LEGIT reason to get excited because those games Simpson gave us were real. From what i remember he had like 3 100 yard games against tough defenses. I don't know what happen with him last year though.
Inconsistency is what happened to Jerome. The thing that kept him on the bench for a couple seasons and resulted in him disappearing in games. He was unreliable. No signs that Sanu will struggle like Binns. Binns is not an outside receiver (doesn't seem to be able to separate or have the speed) and doesn't have the physicality of Sanu to go over the middle consistently. I think Sanu will stick. Even if it's as a possession/short yardage receiver.

Quote:
He's doing ok, but i don't know if we have a true future #2 WR yet. I don't think anyone on our #2 WR roster right now scares teams like Julio Jones does.
You don't need a Julio Jones caliber #2 to be a complete offense. Houshmandzadeh was a great #2. A possession guy that can move the chains, get in the end zone and had very reliable hands (and occasionally get down field). TJ didn't have single TD in his rookie year. Not to mention Sanu clearly can be used in a multitude of ways ala. Percy Harvin on the Vikings. As I mentioned before (with the type of receivers we have) a rotation without a set #2 could work great.

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 32

What is it with jones??besides a few preseason deep balls ...everyone protects him like he was a Super Bowl MVP for us...Sanu will be the better player short term and long term mark my words
Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22636

What seems to be everyone's knock on Sanu? The man just goes out there, tries hard, makes good things happen.

Exactly. As I said when he was drafted, he's the perfect WR for the Bengals offense being built around Dalton. Bigger than the average WR, good blocker, and currently the highest catch to target percentage among the Bengals WR's (69%).

He deserves to see the field more.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsbalzac2 View Post
He accounts for speed with his route running and has a very quick short area burst I noticed from his Rutgers days and I like him getting 2-3 carries a game from RB also I saw some lanes Sunday that if we had a quicker back he would have had more yards.yes bjge had 100 but anyone would with the run blocking sunday
This aint college anymore, everyone is fast in the NFL.

Sanu is a good possession WR, but can't get seperation, needed to be a good #2 WR.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

He's not a solid #2 WR yet. He's only averaging just over 30 yards a game. With that he's doing OK! Again i'm not putting him down saying he *****, and people can hate on my comments all they want. Honestly we all want the same thing, i hope he does turn into what TJ was when he was great. We can't fast forward 4 years. We can only judge for right now, so far he's doing like i said OK! Right now he's on pace to putting up the same stats as A. Cadwell did his 2nd-4th years with us (first year he didn't play much)...and he was OK.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
Sanu is a good possession WR, but can't get seperation, needed to be a good #2 WR.

?????

2 games with decent amount of snaps. 2 TD's.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygraf View Post
?????

2 games with decent amount of snaps. 2 TD's.
Through 4 games he's averaging about 31 yards a game with 2 TDs. That's called he's doing OK, its way too early to be saying he's the man. If so Binns is the man too. The headline of the post is Sanu is a solid #2, right now i don't know if he's worthy of that. Maybe at the end of the year, or next year we can say yes he's a proven good #2. So far he hasn't earned that title yet.

Last edited by khamla; 11-21-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:27 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1525

Sanu will be our starting slot by next year. I don't know who the #2 receiver will be, but I believe it will be either Marvin Jones or someone we pick up next year. Andrew Hawkins will remain our big play guy that we sub in every once in a while. AJ will be our number 1. At least that's how I WANT it to play out.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
This aint college anymore, everyone is fast in the NFL.

Yeah just like u said that Krumrie caught his leg on the turf and the 49ers had no first downs till he got hurt
Old 11-23-2012, 01:32 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
Green is our one, Gresham is our two and a bunch of other guys are our number 3 with Hawkins and Sanu being the leaders. I do hope Jones can pay this week because I think he is the missing link on the other side of AJ Green and in time (patience everyone) he can be a true number two hopefully as Sanu and Hawkins work primarily from the slot in the future. I like the fact we have two different type of guys we can put in the slot, the small quick and fast guy (hawkins) and the big and physical guy in Sanu. Depending on a team's corners depends on the match up we use most that game.
The missing link on the other side of AJ will be in the 2013 draft.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10583

I always wanted Sanu to start opposite of Green. I wouldn't say he is solid by any means, but he is definitely playing well right now.

Over the past 4 games, he has 125 yards and 2 TDs. The last two games where he saw significant playing time? 69 yards and 2 TDs.

He only has 4 yards less than Tate, and 85 yards less than Binns. And I'm counting their entire 2012 season, by the way.

Sanu has out-performed the both of them. Expect to see more Sanu until he finally takes the #2 WR position.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34054

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
I always wanted Sanu to start opposite of Green. I wouldn't say he is solid by any means, but he is definitely playing well right now.

Over the past 4 games, he has 125 yards and 2 TDs. The last two games where he saw significant playing time? 69 yards and 2 TDs.

He only has 4 yards less than Tate, and 85 yards less than Binns. And I'm counting their entire 2012 season, by the way.

Sanu has out-performed the both of them. Expect to see more Sanu until he finally takes the #2 WR position.
WE need to get him a rushing TD for the Trifecta
Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Bump. Sanu 2 receiving TD's. Great job!! Can't wait until Hawkins get's back. This recieving core is really coming together. If Marvin Jones can prove reliable we could be scary.

Sanu aka. Mr. Hands of Glue.

-The Rookie Connection-