Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1762
Default This Is Just Degrading To Those That Died Defending Our Country

Lindsey Stone, a non-profit employee in Massachusetts, posted a photo on her Facebook page she claims she meant as a joke among friends. Little did she know that thousands of people would be offended by her pose in front of the Tomb of the Unknowns, even creating a Facebook page called, "Fire Lindsey Stone."
And sure enough when her employer found out, she was put on unpaid leave pending an internal investigation.
Stone's photo shows her flipping off a sign and appearing to shout at the tomb in Washington, D.C., that asks for "Silence and Respect" at the Arlington National Cemetery. Stone and her co-workers were on a work trip last month when the photo was taken.
After people posted comments critical of Stone, she posted: "Whoa whoa whoa... wait. This is just us, being the douchebags that we are, challenging authority in general. Much like the pic posted the night before, of me smoking right next to a no smoking sign. OBVIOUSLY we meant NO disrespect to people that serve or have served our country."

http://news.yahoo.com/prank-photo-to...ews-money.html
Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21308
Default Re: This Is Just Degrading To Those That Died Defending Our Country

Meh. Over-reactions. This is the reason that I don't make jokes on Facebook.....certain people will get offended by anything. Now, I served no time in the military, but I have countless friends that did, and two of my little brothers are in right now. Of all of those people, I don't think a single one would put a lot of weight on this picture.

Join the Bengals Message Board Survivor League. You know you want to....
http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=125239
Old 11-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cupcakes View Post
Meh. Over-reactions. This is the reason that I don't make jokes on Facebook.....certain people will get offended by anything. Now, I served no time in the military, but I have countless friends that did, and two of my little brothers are in right now. Of all of those people, I don't think a single one would put a lot of weight on this picture.
This did not come from face book, and as a vet I think it is disgusting and degrading. She says it was a prank, well there are a lot of other things she could have done than this.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12076

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenetwolf View Post
This did not come from face book, and as a vet I think it is disgusting and degrading. She says it was a prank, well there are a lot of other things she could have done than this.
But as a vet, shouldn't you be of the disposition that you served in order to protect her freedom to do this kind of thing?

Edit: From the article:

Quote:
Robert Johnson, army veteran and military and defense editor at news site, Business Insider, wrote an op-ed, saying he felt "compelled to defend her."

"More importantly, if Lindsey Stone wants to rip on the Tomb of the Unknowns, me, my service, or the hundreds of mutilated troops I served with at Walter Reed Medical Center, she should be able to do so without fear of retribution," Johnson wrote. "Freedom like that is what we fought for, and respecting other opinions is part of what the militray tried to teach all of us who served."
Old 11-22-2012, 02:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 31089

Quote:
Lindsey Stone, a non-profit employee in Massachusetts, posted a photo on her Facebook page she claims she meant as a joke among friends. Little did she know that thousands of people would be offended by her pose in front of the Tomb of the Unknowns, even creating a Facebook page called, "Fire Lindsey Stone."
And sure enough when her employer found out, she was put on unpaid leave pending an internal investigation.
Stone's photo shows her flipping off a sign and appearing to shout at the tomb in Washington, D.C., that asks for "Silence and Respect" at the Arlington National Cemetery. Stone and her co-workers were on a work trip last month when the photo was taken.
After people posted comments critical of Stone, she posted: "Whoa whoa whoa... wait. This is just us, being the douchebags that we are, challenging authority in general. Much like the pic posted the night before, of me smoking right next to a no smoking sign. OBVIOUSLY we meant NO disrespect to people that serve or have served our country."

http://news.yahoo.com/prank-photo-to...ews-money.html
She deserves people being angry with her, not losing her job.

Let's not turn into the UK over this.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 18620

Anyone who mocks those who volunteered their lives to defending our land, rights and way of life deserves no respect. Go ahead and exercise your free speech rights degrading dead American heroes. The reaction from your fellow Americans will be a fitting response to your cowardly opinions. I'd fire them too.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21308

Quote:
Then why did you say it came from Facebook in your OP? "Lindsey Stone, a non-profit employee in Massachusetts, posted a photo on her Facebook page she claims she meant as a joke among friends". Again....I did not serve, but this seems like a ginormous over-reaction. People take jokes too seriously.

Join the Bengals Message Board Survivor League. You know you want to....
http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=125239
Old 11-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then why did you say it came from Facebook in your OP? "Lindsey Stone, a non-profit employee in Massachusetts, posted a photo on her Facebook page she claims she meant as a joke among friends". Again....I did not serve, but this seems like a ginormous over-reaction. People take jokes too seriously.

When it comes to those who have died defending this country, there is nothing funny about it and it certainly is not a joke. Those men and women that died deserve only respect and honor and to make light of that fact is disgusting. Sure she is using her freedom of speech, but she is not using common sense or dignity.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Before I say this, let me add this disclaimer since it's a popular argument to use against people like me, I agree with their right to say whatever they want. However, I wish someone would tell me what's so funny about mocking the respect that is offered to those buried in Arlington. I must say, I don't get the joke. That sounds like an excuse offered by someone who is surprised by the response she got from her "joke." I think she meant the disrespect. I also think she's a coward and couldn't hold the jockstrap of anyone buried in Arlington. I hope she's sufficiently embarrassed to learn how many people disagree with her.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:43 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 581

When did intentionally being a dbag become funny?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-22-2012, 02:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3619

She also wasnt mocking the dead, it was more the rules, and much more specifically the silence part. People are getting their panties in a knot over nothing significant.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBengals View Post
Before I say this, let me add this disclaimer since it's a popular argument to use against people like me, I agree with their right to say whatever they want. However, I wish someone would tell me what's so funny about mocking the respect that is offered to those buried in Arlington. I must say, I don't get the joke. That sounds like an excuse offered by someone who is surprised by the response she got from her "joke." I think she meant the disrespect. I also think she's a coward and couldn't hold the jockstrap of anyone buried in Arlington. I hope she's sufficiently embarrassed to learn how many people disagree with her.
As far as I am concerned she is no better than those Westboro Church idiots.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKWI88 View Post
She also wasnt mocking the dead, it was more the rules, and much more specifically the silence part. People are getting their panties in a knot over nothing significant.
Silence is a sign of respect. This sign of respect is very important to many Americans and one of the only things we can offer those who've given their lives. I'm still not getting the joke and the excuses are pathetic.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKWI88 View Post

You mean the rules to show respect to those that paid the ultimate sacrifice?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Rep Points: 109141

Quote:
As far as I am concerned she is no better than those Westboro Church idiots.
I can respect that you, as a former serviceman, are offended by her actions. However, to equate her as equal to filth from the WBC is a gross overreaction. She has no agenda of disrespect & hatred. At worst, she's incredibly ignorant.

I see what she was trying to do. It's along the lines of the "I do what I want" meme (for example, smoking in front of a no smoking sign). Her target is the "Silence & Respect" sign, nothing more. That said, her choice of locations for such an act was incredibly ignorant and I have no problem with criticism of her for that poor decision.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11472

Everyone has to get offended by something....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
We are all standing on loose dirt, biding our time until we are swallowed by Mother Earth
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

People aren't happy til they're unhappy.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 770

even if I wasn't a vet, that would still be ******* me off.

I am genuinely terrified of the environment my kids are going to have to grow up in. these damn lepers.

what a worthless, ignorant ****.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24188

The only thing offensive about this is the fact that it is an overused joke (most commonly used by teenage idiots) to show rebellion and "irony."

Nothing to be offended about. She is just a ******* acting like an *******.
Trying way too hard to be clever and funny.
Im sure she is smoking under a No Smoking sign somewhere.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storer50 View Post
When did intentionally being a dbag become funny?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Many people seem to think it was December 2005 when I joined the Bengals Message boards
Old 11-22-2012, 08:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8607

What does this sign ask those who visit the cemetery to do?

The sign is asking those who visit the cemetery for silence and respect.

Why does the sign ask for silence and respect?

Because the cemetery is a place where those who died serving our country, serving us.

What this girl did is very disrespectful and deserves all that's coming to her.

The worse part is her flipping the bird asking people for silence and respect. It's the same as flipping the bird to all who lay in that cemetery.

What really ****** me off is that a sign has to be placed there asking people to be quiet and to show respect. It should be a given.

Yes, this girl has every right to act like an immature little *****, that's what those laying in that cemetery fought for. And everyone has a right to criticize her, call her names and make her feel like a total ******* for her little joke as well, just like her employer has the right to fire her for her little joke.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

The article was on the news, she posted it on her face book page. Look at the link. Does it have facebook in the link?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34inXXIII View Post
I can respect that you, as a former serviceman, are offended by her actions. However, to equate her as equal to filth from the WBC is a gross overreaction. She has no agenda of disrespect & hatred. At worst, she's incredibly ignorant.

I see what she was trying to do. It's along the lines of the "I do what I want" meme (for example, smoking in front of a no smoking sign). Her target is the "Silence & Respect" sign, nothing more. That said, her choice of locations for such an act was incredibly ignorant and I have no problem with criticism of her for that poor decision.

I will concede that comparing her to those idiots was a bit much, however with that being said it is an act that they probably applauded.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1761

Quote:
This is the reason I don't have who I'm employeed by on my Facebook.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34inXXIII View Post

I only disagree with the part about her being ignorant. That gives her the benefit of not knowing any better. She did if knowing full well what she was doing. Rebelling against authority.

If anything, she's just too dumb to know when she's doing something dumb.