Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 31089
Default Re: This Is Just Degrading To Those That Died Defending Our Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
just like her employer has the right to fire her for her little joke.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_dismissal
Old 11-22-2012, 11:53 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51083

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBengals View Post
Anyone who mocks those who volunteered their lives to defending our land, rights and way of life deserves no respect. Go ahead and exercise your free speech rights degrading dead American heroes. The reaction from your fellow Americans will be a fitting response to your cowardly opinions. I'd fire them too.
But is she mocking them or a sign?

Because it looks like the sign.

If she was flipping off a soldier, I'd be more inclined to think she was a horrible person. If she's just mocking a sign related to the military, I just think she doesn't have a very good sense of humor.

It's like misusing pedobear. Molesting a kid makes you a horrible person. Using pedobear incorrectly doesn't make you a pedophile, just not funny.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7473

The only ignorance is giving attention to this topic. (irony I know, but this doesn't upset me)

Really? You care that fn much about this on thanksgiving? Jesus christ this is ridiculous.

She obviously was being an idiot and didn't mean to make anyone butt-hurt.

Do I think it was right or funny? F no.

Am I going to lose sleep over it? F no.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26169

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenetwolf View Post
The article was on the news, she posted it on her face book page. Look at the link. Does it have facebook in the link?
Look. What in the living **** are you talking about? In your OP in the thread, the very top line states that it was posted via her Facebook. I said that this was I reason that I censor myself on Facebook....people take things too seriously. You then said it had nothing to do with Facebook,...but that's where the whole god damned story originated. Drop that whole part of it. It's not really part of the issue.

Do I think that her joke was funny? No. Do I think that her joke was completely harmless? Yes. I understand that the military is somewhat of a fraternity type of thing, and that it's to be taken seriously. I'm not saying that I'm gonna go out and flip off a serviceman. However, with the amount of stress that people that have served have endured in their life, I would imagine that they wouldn't have such thin skin.

Not a funny joke, IMO, but a joke nonetheless.....a rather harmless one at that.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cupcakes View Post
Look. What in the living **** are you talking about? In your OP in the thread, the very top line states that it was posted via her Facebook. I said that this was I reason that I censor myself on Facebook....people take things too seriously. You then said it had nothing to do with Facebook,...but that's where the whole god damned story originated. Drop that whole part of it. It's not really part of the issue.

Do I think that her joke was funny? No. Do I think that her joke was completely harmless? Yes. I understand that the military is somewhat of a fraternity type of thing, and that it's to be taken seriously. I'm not saying that I'm gonna go out and flip off a serviceman. However, with the amount of stress that people that have served have endured in their life, I would imagine that they wouldn't have such thin skin.

Not a funny joke, IMO, but a joke nonetheless.....a rather harmless one at that.
It's not about having thin skin, it's about expecting common decency and respect for the fallen. She's free to be a total d-bag, but her employer is free to suspend her or fire hes for being an idiot.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 11-23-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
It's not about having thin skin, it's about expecting common decency and respect for the fallen. She's free to be a total d-bag, but hes employer is free to suspend hes or fire hes for being an idiot.
I'm not arguing that. Any employer should be allowed to dismiss one of their employees for any reason that isn't discriminatory. I don't have an issue with her employer disciplining her for it. It can make a company look bad if their employees are posting mildly offensive stuff freely on the internet.

This whole thing is still being blown out of proportion. I mean,...in this thread, this woman has been compared to members of the Westboro Baptist Church. Come on, that's just laughable. In this case, it's an issue of someone having far too thin of skin. Like I said....I do not think her joke was funny, but to compare her to a group that she is likely nothing like is just silly.

Over-reaction.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cupcakes View Post
I'm not arguing that. Any employer should be allowed to dismiss one of their employees for any reason that isn't discriminatory. I don't have an issue with her employer disciplining her for it. It can make a company look bad if their employees are posting mildly offensive stuff freely on the internet.

This whole thing is still being blown out of proportion. I mean,...in this thread, this woman has been compared to members of the Westboro Baptist Church. Come on, that's just laughable. In this case, it's an issue of someone having far too thin of skin. Like I said....I do not think her joke was funny, but to compare her to a group that she is likely nothing like is just silly.

Over-reaction.
I certainly don't think what she did is worthy of a comparison to WBC. It's not even in the same stratosphere. WBC has not only ruined the funerals of hundreds of service members, they've also given real Christian churches an unwarranted bad reputation. WBC is a cult. What this woman did was tasteless and she deserves whatever punishment she gets from her employer but I'm with you on the WBC comparison.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36830

Quote:
This did not come from face book, and as a vet I think it is disgusting and degrading. She says it was a prank, well there are a lot of other things she could have done than this.
Yeah but its just kids being stupid.

People are dumb plain and simple. If she wasnt she might have thought about posting that pic before she did.

I can understand a veteran getting upset. But in all honestly you cant let it get to you every time someone does something stupid or disrespectful.

These people are beneath you and not worth the time to even think about them.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7595

Actually, WBC is a corporation pretending to be a cult hiding behind a cross. Many of them have a law degree and part of their goal is to incite violence against them, where upon they will sue you. They've done it multiple times and won. All the way to the Supreme Court. I actually think that makes them worse than a bunch of lunatics. But no, what gives the Christian Church a bad name IMO is their not taking a stand against the WBC. At least not until more recently that is. And now that some churches have stood up against them, the WBC has taken to picketing other churches. They recently picketed a Presbyterian Church in Kansas.

The girl that did something pretty dumb at the center of all this, is no where near a comparison to the WBC. She wasn't thinking, WBC knows very well what they are doing.

October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Old 11-23-2012, 01:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26220

Is she stupid? Yes.
Is she funny? No.
Is what she did THAT offensive? No.

She would have done that to any sign at any location. She saw it there and thought, "hey let me show off to people on Facebook how clever and rebellious I am!"
****** being a ******. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:54 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 54631

This disgusting piece of garbage is just a result of all the years that the liberal media has direspected the military with such evil propaganda as "Hogans Heroes", "McHales Navy", Gomer Pyles USMC", and all the other shows that made fun of the people who ndied for our rights.

This is America. She should be thrown in prison for doing something like this..
Old 11-23-2012, 03:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
This disgusting piece of garbage is just a result of all the years that the liberal media has direspected the military with such evil propaganda as "Hogans Heroes", "McHales Navy", Gomer Pyles USMC", and all the other shows that made fun of the people who ndied for our rights.

This is America. She should be thrown in prison for doing something like this..
Yeah, because funny TV shows are the exact same thing as flipping off a sign asking for courtesy at the tomb of the unknown soldier. Btw, nobody said she deserves prison time or anything close to it, so why exaggerate?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9088

The "No Smoking" sign she was smoking under, was it outside of a resturant or inside a hospital where people are dieing from lung disease? I'm betting it was outside of a resturant or something like that.

There are things you just don't do. Maybe she should rage against authority and ignore the sign telling her to not enter a live firing range and see how that goes. If you are going to do something stupid, you know it's offensive and that many people will not like what you do, you know it's stupid but you do it anyway, you have to accept the consequences.

You just don't do stupid stuff like this.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11343

If she can make a lame, unfunny joke about this, then people are allowed to criticize her for her ignorance. She uses freedom of speech for her own gain, others will use freedom of speech against her ignorance.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5310

If she wanted to challenge the rules of being quiet and orderly, why couldn't she go to a library and shout and scream instead?

Steeler Eater, thank you for ^^^^^^. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDfanatic View Post
If she wanted to challenge the rules of being quiet and orderly, why couldn't she go to a library and shout and scream instead?
Because she wasn't at a library?
And Im guessing hasn't in quite a while
Old 11-23-2012, 05:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36830

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
If she can make a lame, unfunny joke about this, then people are allowed to criticize her for her ignorance. She uses freedom of speech for her own gain, others will use freedom of speech against her ignorance.
Yes but the more time people talk and think about idiots or idiotic actions the dumber we all become.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5310

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Because she wasn't at a library?
And Im guessing hasn't in quite a while
I said that because if all she was doing was challenging 'authority' and the rule of being quiet, go to a library. Shout to the top of your lungs. There was more than just her wanting to make some noise in a situation that doesn't warrant it.

Steeler Eater, thank you for ^^^^^^. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDfanatic View Post
I said that because if all she was doing was challenging 'authority' and the rule of being quiet, go to a library. Shout to the top of your lungs. There was more than just her wanting to make some noise in a situation that doesn't warrant it.
This is people making too much out of it.
Simply put: She was there. Saw the sign took the pick.
Had nothing to do with location. Everything to do with the sign.

If she wanted to flip the bird to vets why didn't she do it over the grave or looking over all of Arlington? Pretty much because that wasn't her intent.
People seem to look for reasons to be offended.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
Actually, WBC is a corporation pretending to be a cult hiding behind a cross. Many of them have a law degree and part of their goal is to incite violence against them, where upon they will sue you. They've done it multiple times and won. All the way to the Supreme Court. I actually think that makes them worse than a bunch of lunatics. But no, what gives the Christian Church a bad name IMO is their not taking a stand against the WBC. At least not until more recently that is. And now that some churches have stood up against them, the WBC has taken to picketing other churches. They recently picketed a Presbyterian Church in Kansas.

The girl that did something pretty dumb at the center of all this, is no where near a comparison to the WBC. She wasn't thinking, WBC knows very well what they are doing.
I retracted my statement regarding the WBC, however they probably applauded her for doing it.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I retracted my statement regarding the WBC, however they probably applauded her for doing it.
Kim Jong Il probably applauds your desire for censorship.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34inXXIII View Post
I can respect that you, as a former serviceman, are offended by her actions. However, to equate her as equal to filth from the WBC is a gross overreaction. She has no agenda of disrespect & hatred. At worst, she's incredibly ignorant.

I see what she was trying to do. It's along the lines of the "I do what I want" meme (for example, smoking in front of a no smoking sign). Her target is the "Silence & Respect" sign, nothing more. That said, her choice of locations for such an act was incredibly ignorant and I have no problem with criticism of her for that poor decision.
Let me address this as someone who has witnessed first hand, Ms. Phelps and her "Church" in action. I don't think the girl in question could hold a candle to what I saw. I watched a little girl of about 12 look me in the face and tell me my son was a *** and in Hell, as she held a sign saying "You Eat Your Dead Babies". That was tough for me. And furthermore, not that long ago, a thread like this would have incited me to spew venomous fire for hours.

Many of you served, some of you have lost friends and family. My son gave his life so that girl has the right to freedom of speech, and however disrespectful I may think something is, that anyone does, I think even the right to look like an idiot, or be disrespectful needs to be protected. Otherwise, there could never be change.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfan024 View Post
yes but the more time people talk and think about idiots or idiotic actions the dumber we all become.
bingo!
Old 11-23-2012, 06:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 18776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton View Post
But is she mocking them or a sign?

Because it looks like the sign.

If she was flipping off a soldier, I'd be more inclined to think she was a horrible person. If she's just mocking a sign related to the military, I just think she doesn't have a very good sense of humor.

It's like misusing pedobear. Molesting a kid makes you a horrible person. Using pedobear incorrectly doesn't make you a pedophile, just not funny.
She's a coward.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17051

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
Let me address this as someone who has witnessed first hand, Ms. Phelps and her "Church" in action. I don't think the girl in question could hold a candle to what I saw. I watched a little girl of about 12 look me in the face and tell me my son was a *** and in Hell, as she held a sign saying "You Eat Your Dead Babies". That was tough for me. And furthermore, not that long ago, a thread like this would have incited me to spew venomous fire for hours.

Many of you served, some of you have lost friends and family. My son gave his life so that girl has the right to freedom of speech, and however disrespectful I may think something is, that anyone does, I think even the right to look like an idiot, or be disrespectful needs to be protected. Otherwise, there could never be change.
*****stands up and claps loudly*****

(Now everyone in the house is wondering why I am standing up at my computer clapping)