Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 PM
stonyhands's Avatar
stonyhands stonyhands is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Back in the USA
Posts: 1,828
Rep Points: 2278
Default The Turkey Thread

Happy Thanksgiving!

The in-laws are in town and all is fantastic. Every year they come to see us this time and they insist upon being in charge of cooking Thanksgiving dinner, so I oblige. The only problem is their Turkey is horrible. Their idea of cooking a Turkey is throwing it in an aluminum tray inside a Turkey bag for the time in the instructions. The Turkey is always done an hour prior to everything else and sits.

My opinion is that the Turkey should be the star item with everything finishing up right about the exact time the Turkey is done. One trick I've learned when making a Turkey is to peel up all the skin while it is still on the Turkey and stuff a ton of butter and various seasonings between the Turkey and the skin. Then put the skin back and do the same to the outside. This year I was hoping to try a Martha Stewart type Turkey by using a cheesecloth but that will have to wait until Christmas.

Do you guys agree that the Turkey should be the star and what are other good Turkey cooking tricks have you found?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-22-2012, 06:53 PM
tbone77's Avatar
tbone77 tbone77 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,898
Rep Points: 36167
Default Re: The Turkey Thread

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 PM
LebanonFan's Avatar
LebanonFan LebanonFan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 1,231
Rep Points: 1976
Default Re: The Turkey Thread

My turkey has turned out great for the past five years. The trick I use is to to rub a mix coarse grain salt, lemon rind and pepper on the turkey and seal it in a cooking bag for 24 hours before roasting. Then I wash the salt off and cook uncovered. The result is a perfectly browned skin due to no cooking bag or foil, yet the turkey is perfectly moist and does not dry out. The salt pulls all the moisture to the surface and allows it to redistribute throughout cooking.
__________________


WHO - DEY!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 PM
LebanonFan's Avatar
LebanonFan LebanonFan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 1,231
Rep Points: 1976
Default Re: The Turkey Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
Happy Thanksgiving!

The in-laws are in town and all is fantastic. Every year they come to see us this time and they insist upon being in charge of cooking Thanksgiving dinner, so I oblige. The only problem is their Turkey is horrible. Their idea of cooking a Turkey is throwing it in an aluminum tray inside a Turkey bag for the time in the instructions. The Turkey is always done an hour prior to everything else and sits.

My opinion is that the Turkey should be the star item with everything finishing up right about the exact time the Turkey is done. One trick I've learned when making a Turkey is to peel up all the skin while it is still on the Turkey and stuff a ton of butter and various seasonings between the Turkey and the skin. Then put the skin back and do the same to the outside. This year I was hoping to try a Martha Stewart type Turkey by using a cheesecloth but that will have to wait until Christmas.

Do you guys agree that the Turkey should be the star and what are other good Turkey cooking tricks have you found?
I also agree that the turkey should be the star, but letting it sit covered with foil for 30-45 minutes after roasting makes for a good bird.
__________________


WHO - DEY!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Jasonew6's Avatar
Jasonew6 Jasonew6 is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,327
Rep Points: 27996
Default Re: The Turkey Thread

We were invited to a friends house for Thanksgiving this year. I will be making my turkey tomorrow.

Brine the turkey
I usually put a little sesame oil and seasonings inside and out on the turkey
Bake it at 500 for 30 minutes
Reduce heat to 350 and cook until done.
__________________

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,098
Rep Points: 15760
Default Re: The Turkey Thread

Had our thanksgiving back first week of October, and we always have Canada Goose.

Best bird you'll ever eat: my dad uses Junipers, bayleaves, rosemary, sage, cooks it with a couple of carrots and the result is pure bliss; to this day, I have never had a chicken, turkey,
pheasant, duck, anything that can remotely touch my dad's goose.
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 AM
BengaliJack's Avatar
BengaliJack BengaliJack is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,932
Rep Points: 3525
Default Re: The Turkey Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
Happy Thanksgiving!

The in-laws are in town and all is fantastic. Every year they come to see us this time and they insist upon being in charge of cooking Thanksgiving dinner, so I oblige. The only problem is their Turkey is horrible. Their idea of cooking a Turkey is throwing it in an aluminum tray inside a Turkey bag for the time in the instructions. The Turkey is always done an hour prior to everything else and sits.

My opinion is that the Turkey should be the star item with everything finishing up right about the exact time the Turkey is done. One trick I've learned when making a Turkey is to peel up all the skin while it is still on the Turkey and stuff a ton of butter and various seasonings between the Turkey and the skin. Then put the skin back and do the same to the outside. This year I was hoping to try a Martha Stewart type Turkey by using a cheesecloth but that will have to wait until Christmas.

Do you guys agree that the Turkey should be the star and what are other good Turkey cooking tricks have you found?
The turkey is the star for sure. I have been deep frying ours in peanut oil for the last 6 years....its pretty much required now that my wife has become addicted to fried turkey skin. She plans it out weeks in advance so nothing can go wrong IE not enough oil, empty propane tank, ect ect. Its easy to do and if your follow the instructions...pretty safe and alot faster......not to mention DELICIOUS!! Hope everone has a great thanksgiving regardless of how much and what you cook.
__________________


^ If everyone else saw the world as M B sees it!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 AM
HarleyDog's Avatar
HarleyDog HarleyDog is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: standing right behind you
Posts: 7,624
Rep Points: 20140
Default Re: The Turkey Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
I have never had a chicken, turkey,
pheasant, duck, anything that can remotely touch my dad's goose.
That's SICK!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 AM
stonyhands's Avatar
stonyhands stonyhands is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Back in the USA
Posts: 1,828
Rep Points: 2278
Default Re: The Turkey Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliJack View Post
The turkey is the star for sure. I have been deep frying ours in peanut oil for the last 6 years....its pretty much required now that my wife has become addicted to fried turkey skin. She plans it out weeks in advance so nothing can go wrong IE not enough oil, empty propane tank, ect ect. Its easy to do and if your follow the instructions...pretty safe and alot faster......not to mention DELICIOUS!! Hope everone has a great thanksgiving regardless of how much and what you cook.
I'm debating whether to invest in a Turkey Frier. I'm thinking that I am definitely going to cook a Turkey for my family for Christmas and I will be doing my way with the Turkey as the star. The question I have to answer is whether I want to do the deep fried Turkey or Martha Stewart style. A couple years back when I was still in the Air Force my squadron deep fried several Turkeys for the squadron Thanksgiving dinner and they were so juicy and delicious.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 AM
jmccracky's Avatar
jmccracky jmccracky is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lancaster, Ohio
Posts: 7,787
Rep Points: 16565
Default Re: The Turkey Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDog View Post
That's SICK!


Yes it is Harley! Although, it is not sick on a Saturday night. I make up my own rules.
__________________
Shalom Aleikhem
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,098
Rep Points: 15760
Default Re: The Turkey Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDog View Post
That's SICK!


My dad doesn't have a goose like that!
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.