Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2278
Default The Turkey Thread

Happy Thanksgiving!

The in-laws are in town and all is fantastic. Every year they come to see us this time and they insist upon being in charge of cooking Thanksgiving dinner, so I oblige. The only problem is their Turkey is horrible. Their idea of cooking a Turkey is throwing it in an aluminum tray inside a Turkey bag for the time in the instructions. The Turkey is always done an hour prior to everything else and sits.

My opinion is that the Turkey should be the star item with everything finishing up right about the exact time the Turkey is done. One trick I've learned when making a Turkey is to peel up all the skin while it is still on the Turkey and stuff a ton of butter and various seasonings between the Turkey and the skin. Then put the skin back and do the same to the outside. This year I was hoping to try a Martha Stewart type Turkey by using a cheesecloth but that will have to wait until Christmas.

Do you guys agree that the Turkey should be the star and what are other good Turkey cooking tricks have you found?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36167
Default Re: The Turkey Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1976

My turkey has turned out great for the past five years. The trick I use is to to rub a mix coarse grain salt, lemon rind and pepper on the turkey and seal it in a cooking bag for 24 hours before roasting. Then I wash the salt off and cook uncovered. The result is a perfectly browned skin due to no cooking bag or foil, yet the turkey is perfectly moist and does not dry out. The salt pulls all the moisture to the surface and allows it to redistribute throughout cooking.

WHO - DEY!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
Happy Thanksgiving!

The in-laws are in town and all is fantastic. Every year they come to see us this time and they insist upon being in charge of cooking Thanksgiving dinner, so I oblige. The only problem is their Turkey is horrible. Their idea of cooking a Turkey is throwing it in an aluminum tray inside a Turkey bag for the time in the instructions. The Turkey is always done an hour prior to everything else and sits.

My opinion is that the Turkey should be the star item with everything finishing up right about the exact time the Turkey is done. One trick I've learned when making a Turkey is to peel up all the skin while it is still on the Turkey and stuff a ton of butter and various seasonings between the Turkey and the skin. Then put the skin back and do the same to the outside. This year I was hoping to try a Martha Stewart type Turkey by using a cheesecloth but that will have to wait until Christmas.

Do you guys agree that the Turkey should be the star and what are other good Turkey cooking tricks have you found?
I also agree that the turkey should be the star, but letting it sit covered with foil for 30-45 minutes after roasting makes for a good bird.

WHO - DEY!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27996

We were invited to a friends house for Thanksgiving this year. I will be making my turkey tomorrow.

Brine the turkey
I usually put a little sesame oil and seasonings inside and out on the turkey
Bake it at 500 for 30 minutes
Reduce heat to 350 and cook until done.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15760

Had our thanksgiving back first week of October, and we always have Canada Goose.

Best bird you'll ever eat: my dad uses Junipers, bayleaves, rosemary, sage, cooks it with a couple of carrots and the result is pure bliss; to this day, I have never had a chicken, turkey,
pheasant, duck, anything that can remotely touch my dad's goose.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3525

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
Happy Thanksgiving!

The turkey is the star for sure. I have been deep frying ours in peanut oil for the last 6 years....its pretty much required now that my wife has become addicted to fried turkey skin. She plans it out weeks in advance so nothing can go wrong IE not enough oil, empty propane tank, ect ect. Its easy to do and if your follow the instructions...pretty safe and alot faster......not to mention DELICIOUS!! Hope everone has a great thanksgiving regardless of how much and what you cook.

^ If everyone else saw the world as M B sees it!!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
I have never had a chicken, turkey,
pheasant, duck, anything that can remotely touch my dad's goose.
That's SICK!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2278

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliJack View Post
The turkey is the star for sure. I have been deep frying ours in peanut oil for the last 6 years....its pretty much required now that my wife has become addicted to fried turkey skin. She plans it out weeks in advance so nothing can go wrong IE not enough oil, empty propane tank, ect ect. Its easy to do and if your follow the instructions...pretty safe and alot faster......not to mention DELICIOUS!! Hope everone has a great thanksgiving regardless of how much and what you cook.
I'm debating whether to invest in a Turkey Frier. I'm thinking that I am definitely going to cook a Turkey for my family for Christmas and I will be doing my way with the Turkey as the star. The question I have to answer is whether I want to do the deep fried Turkey or Martha Stewart style. A couple years back when I was still in the Air Force my squadron deep fried several Turkeys for the squadron Thanksgiving dinner and they were so juicy and delicious.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16565

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDog View Post
That's SICK!

Yes it is Harley! Although, it is not sick on a Saturday night. I make up my own rules.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15760

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDog View Post
That's SICK!

My dad doesn't have a goose like that!

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE