Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3921
Default Marvin Jones, Kyle Cook, and a stretch run

I know a great deal of folks here don't like to think beyond the game this Sunday, but I can't help but think about the return of these two players and their potential impact.

Marvin Jones was the top receiver in the preseason, which means nothing. However, his combination of size and speed is exactly what is needed as the X receiver. I am not saying we bench Sanu. I could see him rotating in and out with Hawkins in the slot. Sanu reminds me a lot of TJ Houshmanzadeh: big, elusive, and sure handed. He could be the third down slot receiver that catches crucial third and six passes in traffic. Hawkins could be on the field first and second down creating mismatches with his speed and versatility. But it is Marvin Jones that will make all this work. He is the closest thing the Bengals have to a Mike Wallace that will help make the job of AJ easier, as Wallace does for Antonio Brown (when they are both healhty). The steelers have a solid run game and a good TE in Heath, but without Brown opposite Wallace, their offense struggles....even with Big Jen.

Marvin is the missing piece. I would also like to see more 2 WR, 2 TE, single back sets that get Gresham and Orson Charles on the field at the same time, while AJ and Marvin could line up at WR.

Robinson has been a real find at Center, and has been a very solid replacement for Faine, who struggled mightily (possibly due to injury). That being said, I think Cook will be even better. A fresh, healthy Cook, finally lined up with TALENT at the Guard positions. I think the run game would be significantly improved. Even though everyone isn't enamored with BJGE, you saw what he could do with some decent holes against KC. No, he isn't going to break off 75 yard TD runs, but he usually is good for 3 yards, and rarely loses yardage. If the improvements offered by Cook can get him to just 4 yards per carry, consistently, they will be in business.

I don't see either of them against the Raiders, but it would sure be nice to see them both against San Diego.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10396
Default Re: Marvin Jones, Kyle Cook, and a stretch run

I say we keep Robinson in and let Cook fully heal.

Seeing as Robinson could hang with the Giants D line, then I say give him the nod until he shows he can't play at the desired level.

IMO his is a case were level of play superceedes experience.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7085

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRacerX View Post
I know a great deal of folks here don't like to think beyond the game this Sunday, but I can't help but think about the return of these two players and their potential impact.

Marvin Jones was the top receiver in the preseason, which means nothing. However, his combination of size and speed is exactly what is needed as the X receiver. I am not saying we bench Sanu. I could see him rotating in and out with Hawkins in the slot. Sanu reminds me a lot of TJ Houshmanzadeh: big, elusive, and sure handed. He could be the third down slot receiver that catches crucial third and six passes in traffic. Hawkins could be on the field first and second down creating mismatches with his speed and versatility. But it is Marvin Jones that will make all this work. He is the closest thing the Bengals have to a Mike Wallace that will help make the job of AJ easier, as Wallace does for Antonio Brown (when they are both healhty). The steelers have a solid run game and a good TE in Heath, but without Brown opposite Wallace, their offense struggles....even with Big Jen.

Marvin is the missing piece. I would also like to see more 2 WR, 2 TE, single back sets that get Gresham and Orson Charles on the field at the same time, while AJ and Marvin could line up at WR.

Robinson has been a real find at Center, and has been a very solid replacement for Faine, who struggled mightily (possibly due to injury). That being said, I think Cook will be even better. A fresh, healthy Cook, finally lined up with TALENT at the Guard positions. I think the run game would be significantly improved. Even though everyone isn't enamored with BJGE, you saw what he could do with some decent holes against KC. No, he isn't going to break off 75 yard TD runs, but he usually is good for 3 yards, and rarely loses yardage. If the improvements offered by Cook can get him to just 4 yards per carry, consistently, they will be in business.

I don't see either of them against the Raiders, but it would sure be nice to see them both against San Diego.

I had helluva better time reading this thread than the love/hate affair for CP threads.

I hope you're right though.

Robinson will definitely push Cook to perform at his best.

Marvin Jones is a player too. Hopefully he will be back for that game as well.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 979

I couldnt agree more! Aj and m jones, with sanu and hawk in the slot. Gresham and orson have capability of dominating as well. I also like sanu and hawk lining up in the backfield takin a few handoffs now and then. Also the te's in the offset i formation. Just scratchin the surface offensively. This offense is finding some consistency at the right time...the end of the season.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsRocker View Post

Seeing as Robinson could hang with the Giants D line, then I say give him the nod until he shows he can't play at the desired level.

You may be right, in terms of pass protection he has been very solid. However, if you watch Cook's interview, he thinks he could play right now and I feel he has earned the right to play with Boling and Zeitler as his guards. He has held down guys like Haloti Ngata and could really take the oline to the next level. Robinson will provide quality depth in case of another injury, but Cook is better.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1367

I hope that this week we get to see M.Jones eased back into the line-up some. Throw about 3-4 passes his way holpefully. For now, Sanu deserves most of the playing time. Let's put tate on the bench and allow him to return KOs only
Old 11-22-2012, 11:34 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 52885

Quote:

Gruden just said that he projects Cook to return for the Dallas game. Not sure about Jones.

I have been impressed with Robinson mainly because he never played Center before. He looks like a keeper.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3175

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Gruden just said that he projects Cook to return for the Dallas game. Not sure about Jones.

I have been impressed with Robinson mainly because he never played Center before. He looks like a keeper.
Speaking of Gruden.....I hope he dials up more draw plays from the shotgun. I have been begging for it all year and I really noticed them going to it against the Chiefs and they picked up really good chunk yardage. One went for 20 and a couple others went for somewhere in the teens. Amazing how the running game saw some life when they decided to run out of something other than the I.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:

I like Hawkins, but he doesn't really produce to often. I want to see Marvin Jones start in the slot, or Sanu start in the slot. Either one of those guys could be our #2.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
I like Hawkins, but he doesn't really produce to often. I want to see Marvin Jones start in the slot, or Sanu start in the slot. Either one of those guys could be our #2.
I like Hawkins too, but on 3rd and 8 or more he just doesn't provide a big enough target the way they are using him. I also like the combo in the redzone of Sanu, AJ, Gresham, Charles.

Hawk needs to have a package with screens, passes out of the backfield, quick outs, some sweeps out of the backfield, etc. He is a heck of a gunner though.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1374

I definitely want to see Jones on the field, but I wouldn't be happy to drastically reduce Sanu's role. He has looked excellent starting across from Green, and since Jones is returning from injury, I would like us to ease him back in.

Props to NBF on the awesome sig!

I love the Bengals and will root for them until the day I die!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
I like Hawkins too, but on 3rd and 8 or more he just doesn't provide a big enough target the way they are using him. I also like the combo in the redzone of Sanu, AJ, Gresham, Charles.

Hawk needs to have a package with screens, passes out of the backfield, quick outs, some sweeps out of the backfield, etc. He is a heck of a gunner though.

Yea, i'd like to see Hawkins used more on the slant route and screens.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2123

Quote:

Only thing with that is, if he plays a ton below standard in one game, it could be our season done. But I agree, he's come in and done well so far, dont change up a team thats playing well right now.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1641

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson19osu View Post
Speaking of Gruden.....I hope he dials up more draw plays from the shotgun. I have been begging for it all year and I really noticed them going to it against the Chiefs and they picked up really good chunk yardage. One went for 20 and a couple others went for somewhere in the teens. Amazing how the running game saw some life when they decided to run out of something other than the I.
My friend that's exactly how I see it as well. I hope it plays out like that. Even if we miss the playoffs but show some life on offense while upgrading spots on defense there will be Super Bowl grumbles.👍
Old 11-22-2012, 06:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1526

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDey90 View Post
I definitely want to see Jones on the field, but I wouldn't be happy to drastically reduce Sanu's role. He has looked excellent starting across from Green, and since Jones is returning from injury, I would like us to ease him back in.
Definitely agree. We can't just assume a rookie who was injured is going to take over a spot just because he performed well during preseason. Ease him in a little at a time. Maybe the first game, give him around 15 snaps. 2nd game, maybe about 30. By the 3rd, if he is as good as we believe, he should be ready to go full time.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1526

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
My friend that's exactly how I see it as well. I hope it plays out like that. Even if we miss the playoffs but show some life on offense while upgrading spots on defense there will be Super Bowl grumbles.��
I just feel sometimes Gruden tries to force things in the running game. I understand that being balanced is their goal, but when it comes down to it, I see too many run plays with little to no payoff. I know, we need to keep the defense guessing, but you can run draw plays from shotgun and totally catch the defense slipping (which we rarely do). I only saw one draw play where BJGE got a decent amount of yards, and that is what we need more of. We have AJ Green...one of the best WR's in the entire league, the defense will be all over the passing game because of him. If that happens, run some draws...The good passing teams like the patriots and the colts run draws with a lot of success. I hope we incorporate a few draw plays for positive yads against the raiders.

Last edited by bengalsfan2008; 11-22-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2771

Sanu can create more gadget plays than Hawkins.

Backfield presence and better downfield blocking or even Wr screens.

However I see us using a lot of 4 WR packages later with Green Sanu and Hawkins bunched up. Jones on the other side.

We might be better off with sticking to Robinson. We have no idea how far along Cook is, who we have to drop, and if he is going to be well enough into game shape.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 122
bengals Re: Marvin Jones, Kyle Cook, and a stretch run

I fully agree about the long term look of the Bengals receiving corps. I think Marvin Jones gives them the kind of speed they need opposite AJ. Sanu and Hawkins are terrific complements to these guys. The 4 of them can be used in different combinations along with the two tight ends to give them tremendous versatility. You can't teach speed and Marvin Jones has got it.

With Cook and Robinson, this is a situation that has to play out. Sometimes you find out by accident or attrition that certain guys can really play. Both these guys are a testament to that. No one knew anything about either of them when they started. I suspect Cook will be the starter once he can play but we are definitely in better shape going forward with Robinson showing everyone that he can handle the position.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:43 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
Marvin would be the X, opposite AJ Green, with either Sanu and Hawk in the slot. I would like to see Sanu more on 3rd downs in the slot. Hawkins makes some big plays that defenses have to respect. Sanu has the big body that can make the difficult catch in traffic. That being said, I haven't seen Hawk drop anything, even when he gets popped.

Marvin is the "X" factor (pardon the pun) that will make the offense take off....or at least that is what I'm hoping.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikairius View Post
Sanu can create more gadget plays than Hawkins.

Backfield presence and better downfield blocking or even Wr screens.

However I see us using a lot of 4 WR packages later with Green Sanu and Hawkins bunched up. Jones on the other side.

We might be better off with sticking to Robinson. We have no idea how far along Cook is, who we have to drop, and if he is going to be well enough into game shape.
I dream of crazy 5 receiver sets with a bunch of Hawk, Gresh, AJ on one side and Marvin and Sanu on the other, but one key to remember is the run game. Sanu is a solid blocker, and Marvin is strong as hell. In the base offense, they could improve.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35140

Quote:

Agree on Robinson.

As for Marvin Jones.... With Sanu playing so well Id give him some shots as 3rd WR in until hawkins is healthy.

But Sanu needs to stay on the field.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:35 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 64

Robinson has been a pleasent surprise, but I want Cook back. The last couple of Defenses that we have played have been pretty straight foreward. When we get back to Pittsburg, Balt and teams with complicated blitz packages, I think Cooks experience and smarts will make a big difference
Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5969

There is a lot to be said for getting healthy at the right time and also having depth that you can depend on. If we do want to pull off an amazing run to get into the playoffs, we'll need all of these guys. And I hope the Bengals go forward into the future with 2 guys who could (and have) start at Center.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
There is a lot to be said for getting healthy at the right time and also having depth that you can depend on. If we do want to pull off an amazing run to get into the playoffs, we'll need all of these guys. And I hope the Bengals go forward into the future with 2 guys who could (and have) start at Center.
Dead on. No one will give a steeler that the Bengals lost to Cleveland and Miami early if they run in to the playoffs, and the future of Robinson and Cook looks very steady. Depth is such a crucial element in this league and the Bengals have better depth of talent all over the field than any time I can remember.

Next up, take down the Raiders, and it is on to the Chargers. BTW, Chargers, if you feel like knocking off the "not nearly as good on the road" ratbirds today, we would be appreciative. Ditto Browns. Ditto Bills. Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23180

I dream of crazy 5 receiver sets with a bunch of Hawk, Gresh, AJ on one side and Marvin and Sanu on the other, but one key to remember is the run game. Sanu is a solid blocker, and Marvin is strong as hell. In the base offense, they could improve.

Why go 5 wide?

Wouldn't 3 wide plus 2 TE's provide a better array of mismatches?

I would take Gresham against any team's linebacker, plus that puts Orson Charles on their second best TE, so that should be free yards. If they choose to provide safety help, then you get one on ones with the WR's and someone, Green, Jones, Sanu, will get open there.

Never understood why people were fascinated with the 5 wide set when the Bengals have better receiving options outside the WRs.