Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4373
Default Barrett Jones

OK, just curious here. I know a lot of fans and mocks have us taking a LB or DE with the first pick. I also know that the Bengals rarely take a lineman in the 1st round.

However, I am one who likes to have dominant OLines and DLines. If we picked up a DE it would be to replace Geathers as I would do what I could to keep M.Johnson. If I didn't take a DE, then I would be looking very hard at OC and OT, in case Smith proves to expensive.

Which brings me to Jones.

Right now he is being looked at as a top 25 pick, some mocks even have us passing on him twice. Playing for Alabama you know he has faced some good competition and while he doesn't always dominate he does hold his own very well. He is also very versatile and can play all the spots on the line. Now if we are able to resign Smith, then that will take care of the OTs. Having Zeitler and Boling at the OG spots only leaves the C position as the weakest. I do like Cook, yet there were times I felt we need an upgrade at the position.

I know I am part of a minority, however I would like to see the 1st pick in the draft be Jones, and picking up Bjoern Warner or Alex Okafor with the next pick, and if we are really lucky with the draft, pick up Joseph Randell with the final 2nd round pick (heck even trade up for him). Anyone else agree?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 61
Default Re: Barrett Jones

I wouldn't mind Jones in the 1st. Pick up Chase Thomas with the 2A pick while we're at it.
As for a RB, I wouldn't mind picking up someone like Johnathan Franklin in the 4th round so we can use the higher picks (2B and 3)
on some of the other wants/needs like Safety and DE or whatever else.

There are a number of options, but overall I don't mind Barrett Jones.

Last edited by stknux; 11-23-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3304

I like Jones and haven't tossed him out yet. Robinson has done well, but you never know for sure if he will pan out. Cook is certainly capable, but he is a not dominant either. If we sign Andre, it could be argued that the rest of the line is set. Still, injuries can happen, and he could end up better at center than what we have...or...he's versatile and would be a better replacement than our current back ups. Ideally I'd like to get him at the top of the 2nd though.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
I like Jones and haven't tossed him out yet. Robinson has done well, but you never know for sure if he will pan out. Cook is certainly capable, but he is a not dominant either. If we sign Andre, it could be argued that the rest of the line is set. Still, injuries can happen, and he could end up better at center than what we have...or...he's versatile and would be a better replacement than our current back ups. Ideally I'd like to get him at the top of the 2nd though.
I agree I wouldn't mind getting him in the 2nd, however I don't think he will make it, even though some mocks have us passing on him twice. I think that this is a stronger defensive class than offensive. The drop off between the best DLine and the 2nd best is pretty slim. Where the drop off from the best OLine and the 2nd is pretty evident, especially Center.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1738

Depending on who is available I would be all for it. Cook has always seemed like an average to below average center to me. Our O-line would be top 5 in the league if we could get a good center.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 574

I beleive hes about to win another outland trophy...I would say hes worth a look in round #1.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10583

Obviously it depends on who all is there when the Bengals pick, but I think Jones will be there.

Barrett Jones is a rare talent that can be moved across the O-line and play very well. I think he would be an immediate upgrade over Cook. And if that doesn't work, obviously the Bengals could move him around and have great depth.

Honestly, picking Jones would be an extremely solid pick.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

I would never argue with taking a top notch lineman - offense or defense. Just like I would never argue with taking a top corner.

I haven't watched jones enough to know if he qualifies as a top pro prospect, but if he is, I have no problem taking him.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Sounds like a lot are in agreement. I can just see us being a much better team with Jones at center. I think Werner and/or Okafor will be available in the 2nd, I also feel we are set at DT. So Oline for the 1st pick LB/DE for the 2nd A pick.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6571

Would I do it? Yes.

Will the Bengals do it? No. They have Cook signed to an extension and Boling and Zeitler under contract for a few more years. I would rather see them take a safety or linebacker.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

If he's there at the top of two with the Raider's pick (thanks, Carson!) yeah, I'd pounce and play him at Center. Robinson looks great, but not sure that I'm willing to not invest in that position due to him. But I would not take Jones at where the Bengals will be drafting (I'm assuming in the 20's).