Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1762
Default Re: This Is Just Degrading To Those That Died Defending Our Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Kim Jong Il probably applauds your desire for censorship.
Wonder how you would feel if your son or daughter was resting there. Of all the damn places she can be rebellious, she chose there. IMO I think she had every intention of disrespecting those that had fallen, but then when the backlash started and she got canned from her job, she gives the lame excuse that she was just being rebellious and meant no harm. Ask yourself this, why was she at Arlington in the first place?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22584

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenetwolf View Post
Wonder how you would feel if your son or daughter was resting there. Of all the damn places she can be rebellious, she chose there. IMO I think she had every intention of disrespecting those that had fallen, but then when the backlash started and she got canned from her job, she gives the lame excuse that she was just being rebellious and meant no harm. Ask yourself this, why was she at Arlington in the first place?
She was there for work. That has pretty much been established.
If it were my son or daughter, who died fighting for the freedoms we love so dearly, I would still think she was stupid. I would think it isn't funny like I do now. Only difference is, I dont think we should restrict her freedom of speech because it offends me. I would just turn away and ignore her.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8197

No one is arguing this woman's right to be disrespectful of those who have died to protect that right. Not one person has said she can not do this.

What I'm saying is that she has every right to act like an idiot but she has to accept the consequences of her actions.

I hope this woman thinks before she acts next time.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5310

It's the understanding that is behind the sign that people could take offense to. You are quiet at the sight of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier because it's a sign of respect. It's reverence for the dead lying in that Tomb. She has a right to act whichever way she pleases, but having a right doesn't mean it's always the RIGHT thing to do. I think if she would sincerely understand that silence at a place such as this is sincere and very sacred, if she truly understood that, which I don't think she did (and perhaps she had never been correctly taught), she wouldn't have done that action there.

Steeler Eater, thank you for ^^^^^^. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:21 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49808

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBengals View Post
She's a coward.
Of all the stuff to say about her how did you come up with "coward".

WTF about any of this is cowardly?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 18620

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Of all the stuff to say about her how did you come up with "coward".

WTF about any of this is cowardly?
I'm not going to argue with you about my opinion. In the end, that's a dead end argument for both of us.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16788

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDfanatic View Post
It's the understanding that is behind the sign that people could take offense to. You are quiet at the sight of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier because it's a sign of respect. It's reverence for the dead lying in that Tomb. She has a right to act whichever way she pleases, but having a right doesn't mean it's always the RIGHT thing to do. I think if she would sincerely understand that silence at a place such as this is sincere and very sacred, if she truly understood that, which I don't think she did (and perhaps she had never been correctly taught), she wouldn't have done that action there.
I was just gonna post this same thing. Thanks ND for posting it for me. I've been lazy lately!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
No one is arguing this woman's right to be disrespectful of those who have died to protect that right. Not one person has said she can not do this.

What I'm saying is that she has every right to act like an idiot but she has to accept the consequences of her actions.

I hope this woman thinks before she acts next time.
This. End thread now.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
This. End thread now.
Yes, please.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 25797

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenetwolf View Post
Lindsey Stone, a non-profit employee in Massachusetts, posted a photo on her Facebook page she claims she meant as a joke among friends. Little did she know that thousands of people would be offended by her pose in front of the Tomb of the Unknowns, even creating a Facebook page called, "Fire Lindsey Stone."
And sure enough when her employer found out, she was put on unpaid leave pending an internal investigation.
Stone's photo shows her flipping off a sign and appearing to shout at the tomb in Washington, D.C., that asks for "Silence and Respect" at the Arlington National Cemetery. Stone and her co-workers were on a work trip last month when the photo was taken.
After people posted comments critical of Stone, she posted: "Whoa whoa whoa... wait. This is just us, being the douchebags that we are, challenging authority in general. Much like the pic posted the night before, of me smoking right next to a no smoking sign. OBVIOUSLY we meant NO disrespect to people that serve or have served our country."

http://news.yahoo.com/prank-photo-to...ews-money.html
Big over reaction here. Yes it's bad taste and didn't get much of a reaction either way from me humor wise, but she definitely should not lose her job over this. Very slow news day. This girls life is ruined and will be forgotten in a week over what amounts to nothing at all. This is a story so people can do their obnoxious "I'm more disgusted than you are" routine. We get it, you're a great American.

Her action had nothing to do with the cemetery and everything to do with the sign. I imagine if she saw that sign on display in the Small Yard Sign Depot, she would have taken the picture there.
I've never hit a woman in my life, but I've seen on more than one occasion where violence was needed to bring unruly women under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Its not like flattened her with a closed fist. She was rudely bothering him for an autograph.She drilled him right in the eye with a full glass of beer as a natural reaction he got angry and smacked her hard. It could have and probably has happened to quite a few people
Old 11-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
She was there for work. That has pretty much been established.
If it were my son or daughter, who died fighting for the freedoms we love so dearly, I would still think she was stupid. I would think it isn't funny like I do now. Only difference is, I dont think we should restrict her freedom of speech because it offends me. I would just turn away and ignore her.
This is exactly how I feel. And I knew my son for 26 years. He would have laughed it off, and said the same thing. He often said he knew he was defending some people's right to act "stupid, and idiotic", but there are what, 300 million of us? He knew that most people were respectful.

The point is, a couple of you guys are very upset over this, and I understand. And you are right, it might have been a bad choice to do what she did, where she did. But we can't keep taking away freedoms because someone does something that someone else doesn't agree with.

To all of you who served, or are serving this country, you know damn well that there are far more people who are grateful and respectful. This thought occurred to me one day as I was packing the car for a road trip to Topeka, Kansas. I was literally packing to go to visit WBC scum, and "take care of business". Then I realized, Mike died so they had the freedom to stand at his funeral and say what they said, and no matter how much I hated them, I had to turn away, just as berserker said in his post. But I was going to Topeka, to kill people. Had the address and map all printed out. And I was "packing" up.

Right or wrong, morally? Doesn't matter. We can't indiscriminately make up rules, that's just as wrong. I don't know the girl, or what was in her mind at the time, or her intent. But I used to obsess about stuff like that, you've all seen it. Not anymore.

Can we close this one down now? Everyone has made their point, and opinion. And it's skirting the line anyway, they're going to delete, or move it. It's getting too P & R'ish.

Last edited by RumbleCat; 11-27-2012 at 10:42 AM.