Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > College Football

College Football Now all you Buckeyes homers have your own place to talk about your favorite team.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2657
Default SEC Officiating

So I thought I've seen about everything until the LSU Arkansas game today.

The refs have been adding nearly a yard or yard and a half to nearly every close 1st down mark.

To top it off...I just watched the refs call a false start after a sack/fumble in favor of Arkansas. The whistle was blown and Arkansas clearly recovered and the announcers said oh wait a late flag was just thrown. The officials huddled and came out with the only offensive penalty that could negate the fumble...false start. Really...after a 5 second play and 5 seconds after the whistle a flag is thrown for a false start.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 48587
Default Re: SEC Officiating

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
So I thought I've seen about everything until the LSU Arkansas game today.

The refs have been adding nearly a yard or yard and a half to nearly every close 1st down mark.

To top it off...I just watched the refs call a false start after a sack/fumble in favor of Arkansas. The whistle was blown and Arkansas clearly recovered and the announcers said oh wait a late flag was just thrown. The officials huddled and came out with the only offensive penalty that could negate the fumble...false start. Really...after a 5 second play and 5 seconds after the whistle a flag is thrown for a false start.

You hush your mouth son, them boys are paid to get it right.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
You hush your mouth son, them boys are paid to get it right.
Yes they are. I could live with all the bad calls but the false start. I don't think I've ever seen a false start called after the play was over completely negating a turnover. The play should have never happened and been blown dead. In this case the play went on the QB dropped back...3 seconds later he is under duress and the ball gets knocked loose. An Arkansas defender jumps on it, is down, then gets up and starts celebrating. Then a flag is thrown for a false start completely negating the play.

Either scenario the guy who threw the flag was in the wrong...either he made it up, or he threw it way too late and never blew the play dead.

I'm sick and tired of officials influencing the outcomes of games. There is no accountability and never will be.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 79072

it seemed ridiculously biased the whole game, but you are right the fs takes the cake. i remember watching the replay looking for the false start too...
Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7574

Wonder if a few of them boys took the upset and had the misses place the bets? Nahh..to much to lose....Im going with human error on this one....some times the calls dont go your way, but the majority of the calls are the correct ones.

Throw his way and get the FULL NELSON!!!

NOW THATS INTENSITY!!

Even Gronk don't want none of that!!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliJack View Post
Wonder if a few of them boys took the upset and had the misses place the bets? Nahh..to much to lose....Im going with human error on this one....some times the calls dont go your way, but the majority of the calls are the correct ones.
There is a youtube video about this and the guy who posted it I believe hit the nail in head. If Arkansas were able to pull off the upset that probably would have either knocked LSU out of a bowl game or out of a higher paying bowl game losing the SEC millions of dollars. If Arkansas was in bowl contention you can bet your arse that would have never been called. I don't see how the schools can be held to every letter of the law when it comes to NCAA rules yet it is so obvious that certain officials from certain conferences sway one direction or another to ensure this or that team a BCS Championship game or high bowl game. I remember a couple years ago when officials were suspended after a horrendously called game in favor of Florida vs the Razorbacks.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 48587

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
Yes they are. I could live with all the bad calls but the false start. I don't think I've ever seen a false start called after the play was over completely negating a turnover. The play should have never happened and been blown dead. In this case the play went on the QB dropped back...3 seconds later he is under duress and the ball gets knocked loose. An Arkansas defender jumps on it, is down, then gets up and starts celebrating. Then a flag is thrown for a false start completely negating the play.

Either scenario the guy who threw the flag was in the wrong...either he made it up, or he threw it way too late and never blew the play dead.

I'm sick and tired of officials influencing the outcomes of games. There is no accountability and never will be.

You do realize that I was being sacrastic, right?

We see examples of slanted officiating in just about every sport, at every level of competition. Its unfortunate that it happens, but it is something that every athlete tacitly accepts by stepping onto the field of competition.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
You do realize that I was being sacrastic, right?

We see examples of slanted officiating in just about every sport, at every level of competition. Its unfortunate that it happens, but it is something that every athlete tacitly accepts by stepping onto the field of competition.
Yeah I had a feeling...just thought you might have been a LSU fan.