Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759
Default Don Winslow Appreciaton Thread

Alright, I'll probably be the only person posting here but I gotta say, I friggin love Winslow's books. My wife and I recently had our first child, so I've had more quiet time where I just sit with the baby and read or listen to music...and I am just devouring everything this guy writes.

If you're not familiar with him, he writes crime novels. Intelligent (but not pretentious) books where the prose is lean and insanely compelling. He's efficient, which I appreciate. He's also not for the feint of heart as his books can be brutally violent. I'd say his masterpiece so far is 'The Power of the Dog' which is a story that traces three generations using the War on Drugs as a backdrop. Remarkably good. If you're interested, a good place to start would be 'The Winter of Frankie Machine' which is the story of a retired hitman/surf bum suddenly being pursued by seemingly everyone. Why that book has not been made into a film yet is beyond me. I googled it and apparently Scorcese was set to direct with DeNiro to play Frankie...but it got somehow pushed back.

Anyway, big fan and wanted to share my thoughts on this completely bad ***, modern American writer.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: Don Winslow Appreciaton Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
...and I am just devouring everything this guy writes.
This is probably none of my business. But I'm not 100% sure manufactured paper is okay to eat. And I'm absolutely positive sure ink can be toxic.

I'm sorry, I just came in here thinking someone else passed away. But I don't read anything that doesn't include a swimsuit issue, or just doesn't even include swimsuits. But maybe, and I stress, maybe, I'll look into this guy.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
This is probably none of my business. But I'm not 100% sure manufactured paper is okay to eat. And I'm absolutely positive sure ink can be toxic.

I'm sorry, I just came in here thinking someone else passed away. But I don't read anything that doesn't include a swimsuit issue, or just doesn't even include swimsuits. But maybe, and I stress, maybe, I'll look into this guy.
really bad joke in the first part of your post...but yeah, I think most people would like Winslow. One of the great things about him is that his books are actually fun to read. I guess I'd say this...if you liked the movie 'Goodfellas' you'll probably enjoy Winslow. If you love Elmore Leonard's books (as I do) you'll definitely enjoy Winslow.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
really bad joke in the first part of your post...but yeah, I think most people would like Winslow. One of the great things about him is that his books are actually fun to read. I guess I'd say this...if you liked the movie 'Goodfellas' you'll probably enjoy Winslow. If you love Elmore Leonard's books (as I do) you'll definitely enjoy Winslow.
I loved Goodfella's. If he writes that kind of stuff, maybe I am missing out on something.

And it wasn't that bad, it was a little funny. Just kidding with you.

But I'm going to look him up. They just opened one of those 10 million books stores, or whatever it's called.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 17996

Sounds refreshing. Seems like a lot of material is old news these days.