Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:29 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23057
Default Prospect unknown, day three guy

Wanted to get a thread going about prospects that you would like to see your team grab on the third day of the draft. The idea being we will see a lot more "unknowns" and not the same re-hashing of the big names.

I would like to see the Bengals invest in a new FB, and really like what I've seen about Zach Line. Gives the Bengals more options out of the backfield, and would go towards solving their short yardage situation, though GE is doing better than most think. 4th or 5th round and I'd be happy. Bargain for a new starter and the added wrinkles to the offense.

6'1" 232

Line runs with power and has a style similar to Stanford's Toby Gerhart in the 2010 NFL Draft, Line could be considered by some teams to be a running back in the NFL but fullback may be a better fit. He was the Mustangs' short-yardage back in 2009 as a freshman and recorded seven touchdowns.

Line has contributed as a receiver with a total of 42 receptions for 370 yards in his career. If he can stay as productive as a senior, he should be selected in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Traditional fullbacks are becoming few and far between in the NFL, so a player with Line's versatility to be a runner and receiver increases his value for the next level.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4741
Default Re: Prospect unknown, day three guy

My personal philosophy on guys drafted in rounds 5-7 is, take athletes with upside that can at the least play special teams and have a chance to develop into starters with the right coaching. One guy I like that fits this mild is Zaviar Gooden, OLB from Mizzou.

Gooden is viewed by those close to the program as the Tigers' most unique athlete. The 6-2, 230-pound outside linebacker has reportedly been clocked in the 4.4s and after two solid (if somewhat unspectacular) seasons as the starter, there is a feeling that he may be poised to breakout in a big way as a senior and he was voted a team captain.

Oh and also Robbie Rouse RB, Fresno State.

Last edited by et2house; 11-24-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25175

Dennis Johnson RB Arkansas.
He is picking up popularity and he is going to be a reliable back in the NFL. Not every down, but as a 3rd down, Sproles type.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47010

Zach Boren FB-LB OSU. After 3.5 seasons as a seldom used FB, he steps in at MLB and instantly makes the defense relevant. That sort of selfless individual is valuable on most any team. Psst, he's a decent player, too.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Really intrigued by Reid Fragel (6'8 298lbs) from Ohio St. Former tight end that made the switch to tackle this season. Eric Winston, Joe Thomas, and Nate Solder were all former tight ends, and their athleticism helped them because top tier tackles. Worth a look imo. Could become what Dennis Roland was supposed to be.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25175

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Really intrigued by Reid Fragel (6'8 298lbs) from Ohio St. Former tight end that made the switch to tackle this season. Eric Winston, Joe Thomas, and Nate Solder were all former tight ends, and their athleticism helped them because top tier tackles. Worth a look imo. Could become what Dennis Roland was supposed to be.
Woah woah woah....slow down there...
Old 11-25-2012, 04:54 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Wanted to get a thread going about prospects that you would like to see your team grab on the third day of the draft. The idea being we will see a lot more "unknowns" and not the same re-hashing of the big names.

I would like to see the Bengals invest in a new FB, and really like what I've seen about Zach Line. Gives the Bengals more options out of the backfield, and would go towards solving their short yardage situation, though GE is doing better than most think. 4th or 5th round and I'd be happy. Bargain for a new starter and the added wrinkles to the offense.

6'1" 232

Line runs with power and has a style similar to Stanford's Toby Gerhart in the 2010 NFL Draft, Line could be considered by some teams to be a running back in the NFL but fullback may be a better fit. He was the Mustangs' short-yardage back in 2009 as a freshman and recorded seven touchdowns.

Line has contributed as a receiver with a total of 42 receptions for 370 yards in his career. If he can stay as productive as a senior, he should be selected in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Traditional fullbacks are becoming few and far between in the NFL, so a player with Line's versatility to be a runner and receiver increases his value for the next level.

Phillip Steward 6'2 230 OLB Houston, he was a 4 year starter. He has improved each year. This year he had 128 Tackles,10 Sacks,23 Tackles For Loss,5 Forced Fumbles,3 INT's. He seems to be a real playmaker that we should take a serious look at.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3390

Small school wide receiver Aaron Mellette from Elon.

6'4 220 lbs

97 catches, almost 1400 yards, 18 TD's this year.
304 catches, 4254 yards, 44 TD's for career
Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
Small school wide receiver Aaron Mellette from Elon.

6'4 220 lbs

97 catches, almost 1400 yards, 18 TD's this year.
304 catches, 4254 yards, 44 TD's for career
I've saw some highlights on him, I think he'd be a nice late rd selection.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24295
bengals Re: Prospect unknown, day three guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post

6'1" 232

Can he lead block? While I love the other things he can do blocking is an art form. It is a mentality that not all players have. Pressley lives for contact. Neal lived for contact. These guys have a mindset that you can't teach. They take pride in being great lead blockers.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Can he lead block? While I love the other things he can do blocking is an art form. It is a mentality that not all players have. Pressley lives for contact. Neal lived for contact. These guys have a mindset that you can't teach. They take pride in being great lead blockers.

Boren can block, and tackle.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 688

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Zach Boren FB-LB OSU. After 3.5 seasons as a seldom used FB, he steps in at MLB and instantly makes the defense relevant. That sort of selfless individual is valuable on most any team. Psst, he's a decent player, too.
Not sure Boren has the speed to play side line to side line in the NFL. That being said he has some great natural instincts and what he did this year was very impressive. He is defiantly the kind of guy you would like to have as a special teams player that could step in if need be. Who knows he could surprise me, but I will be rooting for him to make it with what ever team he may end up on.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU725 View Post
Not sure Boren has the speed to play side line to side line in the NFL. That being said he has some great natural instincts and what he did this year was very impressive. He is defiantly the kind of guy you would like to have as a special teams player that could step in if need be. Who knows he could surprise me, but I will be rooting for him to make it with what ever team he may end up on.

He may not have great speed, but how many FB types do? What I have noticed is that he is just one of those that "knows" how to play football. Not fast, but plenty quick enough on a delayed blitz to get to the QB, quick enough reacting to shuck OL blocks without losing sight of the play before him. He's a good lead blocker, catches well (in very limited opportunities though), and makes the most of a few carries. Good size for either FB or LB, 6'1" 245. Has a leader mentality, and will do whatever it takes to help the team.

I'm not saying spend a 4th rounder on him, he should still be around in the 6-7th. A guy like that would be a lock to make the team as a speacial teamer, and backup to multiple positions. Just a good football player with a great character.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41545

Dillon Baxter, RB, Baker

When the kid came out of College he was the #1 rated RB prospect in the nation. Went to USC and couldn't handle the environment/hype and was dismissed. Went to SDSU and was released after less than a month. Transfered to Baker University (NAIA).

If this kid has matured he could be a steal.