Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-24-2012, 12:42 PM
wolfkaosaun's Avatar
wolfkaosaun wolfkaosaun is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 6,746
Rep Points: 10653
Default Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Now before you start going off by thinking I'm saying he will be, I'm actually just posing a question. What do you think AJ Green has to do to become as good as Rice? Or even better. And I don't mean simple answers like "Be consistent" or "Get the all-time record for receiving yards for a season", and so on. I mean about the player himself. What do you think Green can improve on to become as good as Rice?

And no, I'm not trying to be a downer on Green, but I see immense potential. But I want to know, why do some people limit his ability to surpass Rice?
__________________

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 PM
momadance02's Avatar
momadance02 momadance02 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 7,845
Rep Points: 8415
Default

While Dalton is good and getting better, he's not Joe Montana.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Cure4CF's Avatar
Cure4CF Cure4CF is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 231
Rep Points: 953
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

He had 2 HOF QB's! Or did he make them be HOF?
Also a great HOF couch! If AJ has these on top of his natural abilities then it is def possible.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Bengals Mike's Avatar
Bengals Mike Bengals Mike is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dundas, ON
Posts: 7,074
Rep Points: 8468
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
While Dalton is good and getting better, he's not Joe Montana.
to be fair the only comparison I'd make is Montana wasn't a top or first round draft pick either but Montana wasn't exactly a big arm or a gunslinger either, I mean he only had 1 season with over 30+ TD's, 6 seasons with 3,500+ yards, 8 seasons with at least 10+ picks and he only started 16 games in a season twice in 13 years I'm not trying to talk down Montana with this comparison, I'm just pointing out for as highly regarded as he was his numbers were never top of the league stats like Marino's were when he played and Dalton probably wont match the numbers of a Brady, Brees or Rodgers but Dalton can still be successful even with less than them
__________________

Last edited by Bengals Mike; 11-24-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Lawless_1's Avatar
Lawless_1 Lawless_1 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 8,065
Rep Points: 10585
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

I don't like greens or rice
__________________
"I don't care if it's rock, paper, scissors or a race to the car I do what I can to win" - Tyler Eifert

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:02 PM
SunsetBengal's Avatar
SunsetBengal SunsetBengal is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunset Beach, NC
Posts: 15,712
Rep Points: 46768
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Let's compare them toward the end of Green's career.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:09 PM
BengalsRocker's Avatar
BengalsRocker BengalsRocker is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,360
Rep Points: 10338
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure4CF View Post
He had 2 HOF QB's! Or did he make them be HOF?
Also a great HOF couch! If AJ has these on top of his natural abilities then it is def possible.


"Yes and least not forget my excellent couch... without it, this would not be possib... er oh and my ottoman... I can't forget that. Actually this thing would look great on my trusty sidetable."
__________________
"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 PM
RumbleCat RumbleCat is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,019
Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
I don't like greens or rice
lol
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 PM
pdub2005's Avatar
pdub2005 pdub2005 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,153
Rep Points: 3235
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure4CF View Post
He had 2 HOF QB's! Or did he make them be HOF?
Also a great HOF couch! If AJ has these on top of his natural abilities then it is def possible.
They always say a great football player is defined by his couch, be it lazy boy or sofa express.
__________________
"It's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk you get."
-Homer Simpson

"The IR has been renamed "The Carlos Dunlap" protection program."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:21 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,250
Rep Points: 25048
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Because Rice's numbers are so absurd and far above the competition.
Is it possible? Sure. Is it probable? Hell no.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Abspara's Avatar
Abspara Abspara is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rehab for Ignorance
Posts: 2,939
Rep Points: 2746
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Simple.

Rice had Eddie DeBartelo to help build a strong supporting cast to facilitate most of his success in the NFL.

Green has Mike Brown.
__________________
_______________________________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:24 PM
CINCYPRODUCT CINCYPRODUCT is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Unfortunately, md
Posts: 1,375
Rep Points: 1641
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Now before you start going off by thinking I'm saying he will be, I'm actually just posing a question. What do you think AJ Green has to do to become as good as Rice? Or even better. And I don't mean simple answers like "Be consistent" or "Get the all-time record for receiving yards for a season", and so on. I mean about the player himself. What do you think Green can improve on to become as good as Rice?

And no, I'm not trying to be a downer on Green, but I see immense potential. But I want to know, why do some people limit his ability to surpass Rice?
Because AJ is taller faster and more athletic. He is also not just a route running reciever he literally makes things happen. Take those thing away to include the short time he has been in the nfl and you will see why he can't be better than rice.💂.
__________________
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater
If Hue Jackson gets the OC job, I will gladly go streaking on streets lined with thumbtacks as I am tazered by leprechauns and urinated on by unicorns.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:28 PM
RumbleCat RumbleCat is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,019
Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abspara View Post
Simple.

Rice had Eddie DeBartelo to help build a strong supporting cast to facilitate most of his success in the NFL.

Green has Mike Brown.
^

I'm going with this. Good owner, good coach, great QB's...................
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:33 PM
bengalsfan2008 bengalsfan2008 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,491
Rep Points: 1526
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
Because AJ is taller faster and more athletic. He is also not just a route running reciever he literally makes things happen. Take those thing away to include the short time he has been in the nfl and you will see why he can't be better than rice.💂.
what the, AJ does run some good routes. It's only his second year in the league and I'd say he is a top 10 route runner. A lot of catches i see him make over the middle is BECAUSE of his route running and that alone. A lot of times i see him run a perfect route and leave the defender helpless for a split second which gives him enough time to make the catch.
__________________
WHO DEY!!?!??
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:35 PM
SunsetBengal's Avatar
SunsetBengal SunsetBengal is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunset Beach, NC
Posts: 15,712
Rep Points: 46768
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
^

I'm going with this. Good owner, good coach, great QB's...................

Baloney. Jerry Rice made a living out of catching short passes, breaking a tackle and getting huge YAC on individual effort.

AJ Green has that sort of individual ability in him, just more the Randy Moss variety than the Jerry Rice type.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,250
Rep Points: 25048
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Baloney. Jerry Rice made a living out of catching short passes, breaking a tackle and getting huge YAC on individual effort.

AJ Green has that sort of individual ability in him, just more the Randy Moss variety than the Jerry Rice type.
And the style of play Rice had lead to longevity. Will Green have the longevity in his career to catch Rice?

Or will time catch up to Green and his body before he can?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,173
Rep Points: 23713
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Funny, I was asking myself this same question a couple of days ago. I think it remains to be seen, of course, but he's got the raw talent and commitment to be better. As many here have said, it depends on what happens around him. Do we get a Craig and Rathman in our backfield? Is Gresham our answer to Dwight Clark? Who's our Freddie Solomon or Charles Taylor? Until those issues get addressed, I don't see AJ breaking Rice's records. If he does though, we'll see a couple of Lombardi Trophies coming to Cincy along the way. Let's hope it does!!

Last edited by Shady; 11-24-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:39 PM
CINCYPRODUCT CINCYPRODUCT is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Unfortunately, md
Posts: 1,375
Rep Points: 1641
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfan2008 View Post
what the, AJ does run some good routes. It's only his second year in the league and I'd say he is a top 10 route runner. A lot of catches i see him make over the middle is BECAUSE of his route running and that alone. A lot of times i see him run a perfect route and leave the defender helpless for a split second which gives him enough time to make the catch.
Lol read what I wrote again.
__________________
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater
If Hue Jackson gets the OC job, I will gladly go streaking on streets lined with thumbtacks as I am tazered by leprechauns and urinated on by unicorns.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:40 PM
CINCYPRODUCT CINCYPRODUCT is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Unfortunately, md
Posts: 1,375
Rep Points: 1641
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
And the style of play Rice had lead to longevity. Will Green have the longevity in his career to catch Rice?

Or will time catch up to Green and his body before he can?
What is the contrast in their styles?
__________________
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater
If Hue Jackson gets the OC job, I will gladly go streaking on streets lined with thumbtacks as I am tazered by leprechauns and urinated on by unicorns.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Cure4CF's Avatar
Cure4CF Cure4CF is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 231
Rep Points: 953
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub2005 View Post
They always say a great football player is defined by his couch, be it lazy boy or sofa express.
Classic! Good old auto correct. Props 😜. Funny thing is I have been searching for some new furniture so thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:42 PM
SunsetBengal's Avatar
SunsetBengal SunsetBengal is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunset Beach, NC
Posts: 15,712
Rep Points: 46768
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
And the style of play Rice had lead to longevity. Will Green have the longevity in his career to catch Rice?

Or will time catch up to Green and his body before he can?

As a second recieving option emerges, one that can stay healthy and build some continuity, AJ Green's stats will only get better.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:44 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,250
Rep Points: 25048
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
What is the contrast in their styles?
Is this a genuine question because you never saw Rice play or are you being facetious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
As a second recieving option emerges, one that can stay healthy and build some continuity, AJ Green's stats will only get better.
Im not talking about health.
AJ's game is so much more predicated on his athleticism and speed. Speed is the first thing to go. Then the athleticism will dwindle. Only question is, will he have time before then to catch Jerry.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Lawless_1's Avatar
Lawless_1 Lawless_1 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 8,065
Rep Points: 10585
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

__________________
"I don't care if it's rock, paper, scissors or a race to the car I do what I can to win" - Tyler Eifert

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 14,289
Rep Points: 31247
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure4CF View Post
He had 2 HOF QB's! Or did he make them be HOF?
Montana won 2 superbowls before the 49ers drafted Jerry Rice.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 14,289
Rep Points: 31247
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
to be fair the only comparison I'd make is Montana wasn't a top or first round draft pick either but Montana wasn't exactly a big arm or a gunslinger either, I mean he only had 1 season with over 30+ TD's, 6 seasons with 3,500+ yards, 8 seasons with at least 10+ picks and he only started 16 games in a season twice in 13 years I'm not trying to talk down Montana with this comparison, I'm just pointing out for as highly regarded as he was his numbers were never top of the league stats like Marino's were when he played and Dalton probably wont match the numbers of a Brady, Brees or Rodgers but Dalton can still be successful even with less than them
With Joe Montana, you need to look at efficency stats, not the bulk stuff. The 49ers didn's pass a ton like like the Dolphins. Montana always had a high completion % and had a very low int %. His yards per attempt was outstanding. Those are the stats that matter.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.