Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
Once again inaccurate. General admission seating is shared.
My point is that not everthing is shared. Not every owner makes the same amount. Whether it be from ticket sales or merchandise.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-09-2012, 08:13 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 687
Default Re: Remember Mike's Decision Not to Change the Blackout Rules???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJ@w View Post
Tax Payers were upset when they found out the truth about the lease, but they still supported Mike Brown because they believed he meant what he said in that he would build a competitive team. Definition of competitive...

Having or displaying a strong desire to be more successful than others.

Has he done this definition? Nope and this is why many fans are not supporting him anymore. You want the fans to continue to support, but Mike Brown does not hold up his end of the bargain so then why should the fans continue to support? It really is this simple.
My fuzzy memory seems to remember that it was reported that the lease guarantees the Bengals 55K seats filled or the County makes up the difference. So other than loss of parking and concessions, why lift blackout at 85 percent (and have to pay the NFL a small percentage of the empty seats) when the county makes up the difference?

85 percent * 66000 = 56100.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15085

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager6 View Post
My fuzzy memory seems to remember that it was reported that the lease guarantees the Bengals 55K seats filled or the County makes up the difference. So other than loss of parking and concessions, why lift blackout at 85 percent (and have to pay the NFL a small percentage of the empty seats) when the county makes up the difference?

I'm pretty sure that was only built into to the first few years of the lease. I think that went away about 6 or 7 years ago.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager6 View Post

And the residence voted for this?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15085

Bumped.

Here we are with another blackout. We were told the reason that they didn't take advantage of the rule was because ticket sales were strong enough that it indicated we wouldn't need to.

We've only sold out a Pittsburgh game (fans travel well) a Cleveland game (Home opener, brings fans), a Miami game that needed until the deadline and help of WKRC/PG and a game against Peyton Manning.

So how strong could have sales been when they made this decision? A:) Not nearly as strong as they were saying. They had to have had a good idea based on season ticket sales just how close we would be.

Instead the feed some bs that they think it's unnecessary when in reality future blackouts were a very, very strong possibility.

Again, they had an opportunity to take advantage of a new rule and perhaps use it as an olive branch towards some of their not so thrilled customers. They had an opportunity to make sure their product was being made available to a lot of people on the fence with this team. Perhaps younger fans who are just now beginning to find teams to take an interest in.

This hurts local businesses. Sports bars, pizza delivery joints, etc. It hurts the local network. (Why do you think they always buy up remaining tickets when they can, so they can retain advertising dollars) It hurts the companies who advertise. And most of all it hurts the fans who can't watch at home.

If they had set the threshold at 85% even if they fell short of that, WKRC, PG could do the same thing they do to try to get us to 100% in sales. We would have had a tremendous shot of not having a single game blacked out.

And this didn't have to be a permanent deal. Just do it for this year, knowing you had disgruntled fans the previous year, and make sure everyone can see your product this year.

How much money out of Mike's pocket are we really talking to do this? Percentage of net worth = > .0001%. How interested are fans going to be when they can't watch the games? How can you create new loyal fans when this continues. 12 year olds can't buy season tickets,

Bad move IMO. And it was done strictly out of cheapness. We all know now that the ticket sales were nowhere near what they had indicated. Another lost opportunity and another weekend your product and the people who support it suffer with it not being televised.

Last edited by Toast Jones; 11-24-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
I believe the rationale was ticket sales were so strong that they felt there was no reason to share more of whatever percentage they cut in attendance needed with the other team. Basically, why change it to 90% and have to share a greater portion of the remaining percentage if you can get to full capacity regardless?

Many people agreed with it. It was even applauded as a sound business move. At the time I wondered why so many were concerned with the minimal amount extra (in the grand scheme of things) that Mike would be making. But if we were selling it out I guess it really didn't matter.

Well, fast forward to now. You think ticket sales will be strong come November and December? We had to ask for an extension to sell out the Miami game, which was only the 2nd home game of the year, and that was after a 3-1 start. I'm guessing the team overestimated just how strong the ticket sales would be. So there's a good chance Bengals fans won't get to see some of their teams games on tv moving forward.

But hey, why should Mike eat some of the cost and have to share money if he doesn't technically have to? It's not like we built a stadium and gave him the best deal in all of professional sports or anything. It's not like the county is bleeding money and having to cut costs everywhere, but still is paying for state of the art scoreboards or anything. It's not like he's given us an inferior product during his reign, and has done nothing to make good on his promise that the new stadium will allow for competitive changes.

Why would, or should, he throw the fans a bone, and lose a little bit of coin for one season, to insure his customers could enjoy his product on tv? That would have been crazy, right. Great move, Mike! Thanks again!

He just doesn't care about the fans, I suspect he may despise the fans for some reason
Old 11-24-2012, 11:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
He just doesn't care about the fans, I suspect he may despise the fans for some reason
Well we do have our "themes".

Old 11-24-2012, 12:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11055

I would think its is next to impossible to predict ticket sales in this market, 4,5, 8 years out. This is such an emotional city, consistent good teams = ticket sales. Same old Inconsistent Bengals? Just seems like a shot in the dark to me. I really doubt he even gave it that much thought.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7403

This is about the time of the year and the economical climate we live in.
Period.

At the end of the day if we were 8-2 right now the same people would be on the internet complaining about attendance.

a lot of the people who constantly trash the attendance are the same people who wouldn't pay full price to see a game even if we were winning.
That's the best part.

NFL is a product.
There should be no entitlement.
You like it buy!
If you dont.... dont!

Not everyone in this area can afford both Xmas and sporting events.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleJuice View Post
This is about the time of the year and the economical climate we live in.
Period.

At the end of the day if we were 8-2 right now the same people would be on the internet complaining about attendance.

a lot of the people who constantly trash the attendance are the same people who wouldn't pay full price to see a game even if we were winning.
That's the best part.

NFL is a product.
There should be no entitlement.
You like it buy!
If you dont.... dont!

Not everyone in this area can afford both Xmas and sporting events.

I don't think there's any question that Cincinnati can be considered a bad sports town.

People will blame Mike Brown, Bob Huggins' firing, conference realignment, and all sorts of random things for not attending games. At this point they're more excuses than they are valid reasons.

I don't attend games beacuse I live in CA..... so I'm not about to blame people for not going, can't tell people how to spend their money. I have gone to about 100 Reds games vs the Dodgers since 1974. I can recall the big fight in 1979 when the Dodgers hit six homers and then one of them was a 3-0 count.....and then the same batter got thrown behind 4 times and then all heck broke loose.

I went to the 1985 and 1988 Bengals games vs the LA Raiders at the Coliseum.

Collectively from what I hear and read from other fans and people who live out there..... the city just doesn't rally around its teams anymore. Heck there's more Bengals talk when the team ***** than there is when they win. Heck... I do it too..... well beacuse it is so ingrained in the psyche of us Bengals fans that ......there is not much you can do about it.

I still think it has a lot to do with the city just being beaten down by the poor teams and the bad luck sports Gods over the last 20 years. It has been either really bad teams, or just good enough to have something go horrifically bad and rip your heart out. There are only so many times you can have it happen before you stop spending $100 to go watch it in person.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 950

No matter how many years the fans sold out the stadium or how great the deal Mike got from the community, there is always going to be some goofballs that declare the problem with this organization is the fans.

Its such a stupid comment that its best not to respond to such ignorance.

There's not a human being on the planet that know's anything about the NFL that would make such a comment.

If Mike doesn't like the idea of putting his product on TV to garner more interest and possible throw a bone to the fans for once in his adult life---that doesn't surprise me.

Mike is Mike and the fans and community will always pay the price for his ignorance. If I out live Mike----then I will more than happy to buy tickets and go to the game. Untill then--Mike Brown will never see another hard earned penny from me or my family.

He got me for many years.
He'll get me NO MORE.
Not a single penny.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
I think you came across something here.
It is well known that katie and Mike percieve players as greatly over paid people, Not deserving of a piece of the pie.
Check out hardknocks. katie is especially gloom when it comes to relationships via the players.

She obviously loathes the players.
She might make a worse owner than Mike (did i say that).

Mike has always thought the fans are ignorant.
He fooled an entire community into giving him the best sports deal in America then ran to the bank.--(maybe we are ignorant).

Mike feels that only he and his family are deserving .
Why----I don't really know. He had nothing to do with this orgaization other than be born into it.
There will never be a mike brown stadium, bridge or parking lot.

Mike feels that fans and player alike are LUCKY to have him and his family a part of the community....These are the very people destroying the community as schools and hospitals close so we can keep mike brown rich.

Mike will go down as the most hated owner in the history of American sports--yet in his mind he thinks they've done a good job and he has been a positive for the community.
Its called delusional.