Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
With Joe Montana, you need to look at efficency stats, not the bulk stuff. The 49ers didn's pass a ton like like the Dolphins. Montana always had a high completion % and had a very low int %. His yards per attempt was outstanding. Those are the stats that matter.
Right and those are the things Dalton can do to make himself be successful, everyone looks at successful QB's as having big numbers and etc like those 3 and Marino but Montana was never like that and did it with efficiency which is something Dalton could do to become successful as well, I mean even Montana was only 18-15 in his first 4 years as a starter and he's generally looked upon as being flawless and he did it without having the top numbers
Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Green has as much god given talent as any WR. He's tall, has amazing body control, great hands...he's a freak. That being said so much of a WR's output is dependent on their QB and supporting cast. So who knows how his output will compare, but I do believe that Green has a HOF caliber skillset. He is a special player.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2302

Dalton is no Montana, and the Bengals will never be a dynasty stacked with all pros everywhere.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Is this a genuine question because you never saw Rice play or are you being facetious? .
I am being genuine I have seen rice play hell was a fan when my cousin played for them. But the reason I ask is because I wanted to know what you considered different about them. Then I wanted us to make a list list of players we felt fell into which category and actually see if a certain style has a longer nfl career. Because with out facts that us just hot air.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20666

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
I am being genuine I have seen rice play hell was a fan when my cousin played for them. But the reason I ask is because I wanted to know what you considered different about them. Then I wanted us to make a list list of players we felt fell into which category and actually see if a certain style has a longer nfl career. Because with out facts that us just hot air.
Rice was a precision player who did a lot of YAC and based his ability to get open on route running.
AJ is a freak athlete more like Moss who makes his living stretching the field and going up over defenders.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3865

Just keep doing what he's doing for the next 15 years. That's actually the hardest part. The longevity of what Jerry Rice did.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Leave him B...He is the best WR in the NFL, hands down.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
I don't like greens or rice
This is funny
Old 11-24-2012, 06:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6486

I have a sinking feeling that if AJ Green continues to be one of the greats (or the greatest to ever play WR, if he is going to be better than Rice) we are going to be watching him spend most of his career with another franchise.

We've had a single HOFer spend his career here, and call me a smelly ol' downer, but I can see Green winning Super Bowls in Pittsburgh, or New England or something to just continue to make life as a Bengals fan a trial.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28056

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Now before you start going off by thinking I'm saying he will be, I'm actually just posing a question. What do you think AJ Green has to do to become as good as Rice? Or even better. And I don't mean simple answers like "Be consistent" or "Get the all-time record for receiving yards for a season", and so on. I mean about the player himself. What do you think Green can improve on to become as good as Rice?

And no, I'm not trying to be a downer on Green, but I see immense potential. But I want to know, why do some people limit his ability to surpass Rice?
Play long enough at a high level. AJ has more talent than Rice. But Rice was very good for a long time, and played in an offense built to maximize his ability.

It will also help if Dalton continues to play well.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
Play long enough at a high level. AJ has more talent than Rice. But Rice was very good for a long time, and played in an offense built to maximize his ability.

It will also help if Dalton continues to play well.
Talent is hard to measure, particularly when watching TV.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Rice was a precision player who did a lot of YAC and based his ability to get open on route running.
AJ is a freak athlete more like Moss who makes his living stretching the field and going up over defenders.
AJ runs spectacular routes.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by et2house View Post
Just keep doing what he's doing for the next 15 years. That's actually the hardest part. The longevity of what Jerry Rice did.
Rices success was due to multiple factors including the cast surrounding him. At the same time, Rice did his own part to make himself the receiver he was and that led to his longevity. He had a ridiculous work ethic and his workouts and the shape he kept himself in was simply unreal.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24012

Rice's records are the safest in pro football. 22,000+ receiving yards? No one is even close to that. He was posting 1200 yard seasons at 40 years old with Rich Gannon at QB.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:13 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 243

The one thing Rice did very well, for the most part, was play big in big games. He had a lot of exceptional playoff games. He was most always his best on the biggest stages, something that Chad Johnson unfortunately never was. I'm hoping to see AJ Green play big when the big games come.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19882
bengals Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Now before you start going off by thinking I'm saying he will be, I'm actually just posing a question. What do you think AJ Green has to do to become as good as Rice? Or even better. And I don't mean simple answers like "Be consistent" or "Get the all-time record for receiving yards for a season", and so on. I mean about the player himself. What do you think Green can improve on to become as good as Rice?

And no, I'm not trying to be a downer on Green, but I see immense potential. But I want to know, why do some people limit his ability to surpass Rice?
He can be as good or better than Rice. There is no doubt about it.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19882
bengals Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nately120 View Post
I have a sinking feeling that if AJ Green continues to be one of the greats (or the greatest to ever play WR, if he is going to be better than Rice) we are going to be watching him spend most of his career with another franchise.

We've had a single HOFer spend his career here, and call me a smelly ol' downer, but I can see Green winning Super Bowls in Pittsburgh, or New England or something to just continue to make life as a Bengals fan a trial.
You base this off of what? JJ?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2866

Should someone start a post saying why can't Lebron be better than Jordan?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6486

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
You base this off of what? JJ?
The sheer absurdity that the best WR to ever play the game is going to spend his career in a city that is complete poison to HOFers of any caliber, mostly.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utts View Post
Dalton is no Montana, and the Bengals will never be a dynasty stacked with all pros everywhere.
I love this.

When Montana came into the league, he was considered an average QB, with a weak arm. The 49ers were even looking into a replacement, before Montana figured it out, and became a great QB.

Walsh said more than once Ken Anderson was a better QB than Montana.

Andy Dalton at this point in his career is way ahead of Montana, in several catagories. The most important is how he uses his head during a game.

Dalton has the ability to be better than Ken Anderson, or Joe Montana.

I don't know if the Bengals will be better than the 49ers were. That will depend on getting a good #2 WR, and developing Sanu as that #3 WR. Developing a RB, because our O line, is as good as any the 49ers had, at the start.
We need a FB that can do more than block, and a WCO RB. I suggest Chris Ivory as the RB, he would be a perfect fit to this offense. I don't know if we can get a FB, that can run, catch, and block anymore.
I hope Marvin Jones develops into the #2 WR that can take pressure off Green and strech the field.
Remember Rice had his Taylor, and we will need someone like that to help Green out.

Green is a good route runner, and is hungry to learn and improve his game. If he can stay healthy and develop the other parts of his game, then Green has the best chance of anyone I have seen to be a Jerry Rice type of player.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president