Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Bengals Mike's Avatar
Bengals Mike Bengals Mike is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dundas, ON
Posts: 7,074
Rep Points: 8468
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
With Joe Montana, you need to look at efficency stats, not the bulk stuff. The 49ers didn's pass a ton like like the Dolphins. Montana always had a high completion % and had a very low int %. His yards per attempt was outstanding. Those are the stats that matter.
Right and those are the things Dalton can do to make himself be successful, everyone looks at successful QB's as having big numbers and etc like those 3 and Marino but Montana was never like that and did it with efficiency which is something Dalton could do to become successful as well, I mean even Montana was only 18-15 in his first 4 years as a starter and he's generally looked upon as being flawless and he did it without having the top numbers
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 PM
D.Boon's Avatar
D.Boon D.Boon is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,184
Rep Points: 2759
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Green has as much god given talent as any WR. He's tall, has amazing body control, great hands...he's a freak. That being said so much of a WR's output is dependent on their QB and supporting cast. So who knows how his output will compare, but I do believe that Green has a HOF caliber skillset. He is a special player.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Utts's Avatar
Utts Utts is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Paseo
Posts: 1,992
Rep Points: 2302
Default

Dalton is no Montana, and the Bengals will never be a dynasty stacked with all pros everywhere.
__________________
This post brought to you by Marvin Lewis, and his endless pursuit of excellence. 0-5 in playoff games, and 6-16 in primetime games.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM
CINCYPRODUCT CINCYPRODUCT is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Unfortunately, md
Posts: 1,100
Rep Points: 956
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Is this a genuine question because you never saw Rice play or are you being facetious? .
I am being genuine I have seen rice play hell was a fan when my cousin played for them. But the reason I ask is because I wanted to know what you considered different about them. Then I wanted us to make a list list of players we felt fell into which category and actually see if a certain style has a longer nfl career. Because with out facts that us just hot air.
__________________
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater
If Hue Jackson gets the OC job, I will gladly go streaking on streets lined with thumbtacks as I am tazered by leprechauns and urinated on by unicorns.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-24-2012, 05:05 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Glenfiddich....I moved on to scotch
Posts: 18,809
Rep Points: 20666
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
I am being genuine I have seen rice play hell was a fan when my cousin played for them. But the reason I ask is because I wanted to know what you considered different about them. Then I wanted us to make a list list of players we felt fell into which category and actually see if a certain style has a longer nfl career. Because with out facts that us just hot air.
Rice was a precision player who did a lot of YAC and based his ability to get open on route running.
AJ is a freak athlete more like Moss who makes his living stretching the field and going up over defenders.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-24-2012, 05:38 PM
et2house's Avatar
et2house et2house is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,079
Rep Points: 3865
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Just keep doing what he's doing for the next 15 years. That's actually the hardest part. The longevity of what Jerry Rice did.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Bengal4ever68's Avatar
Bengal4ever68 Bengal4ever68 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,401
Rep Points: 1225
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Leave him B...He is the best WR in the NFL, hands down.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 PM
bfine32's Avatar
bfine32 bfine32 is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Radcliff, KY
Posts: 19,281
Rep Points: 34250
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
I don't like greens or rice
This is funny
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Nately120's Avatar
Nately120 Nately120 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA, of all places
Posts: 4,978
Rep Points: 6486
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

I have a sinking feeling that if AJ Green continues to be one of the greats (or the greatest to ever play WR, if he is going to be better than Rice) we are going to be watching him spend most of his career with another franchise.

We've had a single HOFer spend his career here, and call me a smelly ol' downer, but I can see Green winning Super Bowls in Pittsburgh, or New England or something to just continue to make life as a Bengals fan a trial.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Jasonew6's Avatar
Jasonew6 Jasonew6 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,332
Rep Points: 28056
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Now before you start going off by thinking I'm saying he will be, I'm actually just posing a question. What do you think AJ Green has to do to become as good as Rice? Or even better. And I don't mean simple answers like "Be consistent" or "Get the all-time record for receiving yards for a season", and so on. I mean about the player himself. What do you think Green can improve on to become as good as Rice?

And no, I'm not trying to be a downer on Green, but I see immense potential. But I want to know, why do some people limit his ability to surpass Rice?
Play long enough at a high level. AJ has more talent than Rice. But Rice was very good for a long time, and played in an offense built to maximize his ability.

It will also help if Dalton continues to play well.
__________________

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 PM
bigbengalbuddy bigbengalbuddy is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 643
Rep Points: 1111
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
Play long enough at a high level. AJ has more talent than Rice. But Rice was very good for a long time, and played in an offense built to maximize his ability.

It will also help if Dalton continues to play well.
Talent is hard to measure, particularly when watching TV.

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 PM
CINCYPRODUCT CINCYPRODUCT is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Unfortunately, md
Posts: 1,100
Rep Points: 956
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Rice was a precision player who did a lot of YAC and based his ability to get open on route running.
AJ is a freak athlete more like Moss who makes his living stretching the field and going up over defenders.
AJ runs spectacular routes.
__________________
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater
If Hue Jackson gets the OC job, I will gladly go streaking on streets lined with thumbtacks as I am tazered by leprechauns and urinated on by unicorns.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 PM
r3stangs's Avatar
r3stangs r3stangs is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 869
Rep Points: 1073
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by et2house View Post
Just keep doing what he's doing for the next 15 years. That's actually the hardest part. The longevity of what Jerry Rice did.
Rices success was due to multiple factors including the cast surrounding him. At the same time, Rice did his own part to make himself the receiver he was and that led to his longevity. He had a ridiculous work ethic and his workouts and the shape he kept himself in was simply unreal.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-25-2012, 02:57 AM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 12,258
Rep Points: 24012
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Rice's records are the safest in pro football. 22,000+ receiving yards? No one is even close to that. He was posting 1200 yard seasons at 40 years old with Rich Gannon at QB.
__________________
From 2006-2013, this team has never finished higher than 20th in yards per carry. They've had an average rank of 27th during those 8 seasons.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-25-2012, 04:13 AM
elbacalao's Avatar
elbacalao elbacalao is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 209
Rep Points: 243
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

The one thing Rice did very well, for the most part, was play big in big games. He had a lot of exceptional playoff games. He was most always his best on the biggest stages, something that Chad Johnson unfortunately never was. I'm hoping to see AJ Green play big when the big games come.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 20,344
Rep Points: 19882
bengals Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Now before you start going off by thinking I'm saying he will be, I'm actually just posing a question. What do you think AJ Green has to do to become as good as Rice? Or even better. And I don't mean simple answers like "Be consistent" or "Get the all-time record for receiving yards for a season", and so on. I mean about the player himself. What do you think Green can improve on to become as good as Rice?

And no, I'm not trying to be a downer on Green, but I see immense potential. But I want to know, why do some people limit his ability to surpass Rice?
He can be as good or better than Rice. There is no doubt about it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 20,344
Rep Points: 19882
bengals Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nately120 View Post
I have a sinking feeling that if AJ Green continues to be one of the greats (or the greatest to ever play WR, if he is going to be better than Rice) we are going to be watching him spend most of his career with another franchise.

We've had a single HOFer spend his career here, and call me a smelly ol' downer, but I can see Green winning Super Bowls in Pittsburgh, or New England or something to just continue to make life as a Bengals fan a trial.
You base this off of what? JJ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 PM
khamla's Avatar
khamla khamla is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,345
Rep Points: 2866
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Should someone start a post saying why can't Lebron be better than Jordan?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Nately120's Avatar
Nately120 Nately120 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA, of all places
Posts: 4,978
Rep Points: 6486
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
You base this off of what? JJ?
The sheer absurdity that the best WR to ever play the game is going to spend his career in a city that is complete poison to HOFers of any caliber, mostly.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 PM
BengalTrucker's Avatar
BengalTrucker BengalTrucker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hiding in my bunker locked and loaded.
Posts: 7,320
Rep Points: 16653
Default Re: Why Can't Green Be Better Than Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utts View Post
Dalton is no Montana, and the Bengals will never be a dynasty stacked with all pros everywhere.
I love this.

When Montana came into the league, he was considered an average QB, with a weak arm. The 49ers were even looking into a replacement, before Montana figured it out, and became a great QB.

Walsh said more than once Ken Anderson was a better QB than Montana.

Andy Dalton at this point in his career is way ahead of Montana, in several catagories. The most important is how he uses his head during a game.

Dalton has the ability to be better than Ken Anderson, or Joe Montana.

I don't know if the Bengals will be better than the 49ers were. That will depend on getting a good #2 WR, and developing Sanu as that #3 WR. Developing a RB, because our O line, is as good as any the 49ers had, at the start.
We need a FB that can do more than block, and a WCO RB. I suggest Chris Ivory as the RB, he would be a perfect fit to this offense. I don't know if we can get a FB, that can run, catch, and block anymore.
I hope Marvin Jones develops into the #2 WR that can take pressure off Green and strech the field.
Remember Rice had his Taylor, and we will need someone like that to help Green out.

Green is a good route runner, and is hungry to learn and improve his game. If he can stay healthy and develop the other parts of his game, then Green has the best chance of anyone I have seen to be a Jerry Rice type of player.
__________________
"The Greatest Danger to American Freedom is a Government that Ignores the Constitution"
Thomas Jefferson

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.