Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > Other Sports

Other Sports Here's your chance to talk about the happenings going on around the sports world. Hey, even the NBA is up for discussion.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3090
Default My big fat soccer thread.

Just football and baseball, the rest is ignorance... this section needs some fresh blood. There's not a single soccer thread around. I hereby attempt to supply this urgent need you probably just weren't aware of. Enjoy.
For any soccer-related questions you might have - here's the place where your questions will be answered. I know about that sport and its aspects. (Even though I still regard it as a ball-torturing activity with no significant elegance whatsoever. But it's our form of religious cult here, you just cannot escape it.)

Furthermore, I will keep you updated about the most important events around the soccer world, like important Champions League games.
Right now, the season is just about to start, nothing especially important going on. Spain woin its third title in four years recently (European Championships), which is impressive, but happened already some time ago. In lack of anything of relevance to report, I inform you about this for now:

1. One of your young players, who already is in the US national squad - Terrence Boyd - is now playing in Vienna. But don't feel to proud about that, we generally ****. - In addition, your national team's assistant coach (assistant to Klinsmann) is an Austrian as well - so the whole country might support your team by now (supporting our own is just frustrating).

2. The spanish clubs are in serious, serious trouble - for Spain is in general, and they just survive with major aid from the state. Now that the state will need money from the EU itself, this bad habit probably will stop - so the next year might as well see the end of Barcelona or Real Madrid as we know it.

3. The qualifying rounds for the Champions League already started - and an Austrian team (Red Bull Salzburg, our richest club) caused the far and away biggest surprise for probably years there - by losing against some pure amateurs (swimming instructors and such) from Luxembourg... [and we won no medal in the olympics, collective suicidal atmosphere; but we are flag football world champions, that kind of makes up for it, but not for real].

--- much, much more interesting things to follow.
Any questions?
Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49822
Default Re: My big fat soccer thread.

1st question, Why are guys from the soccer playing nations of the EU so bad at American football? With all of that athleticism, you would think that they could easily transition.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
1st question, Why are guys from the soccer playing nations of the EU so bad at American football? With all of that athleticism, you would think that they could easily transition.
Interesting...!
Well, these are possible answers I can provide you.

1. American Football simply has no tradition here - so why should they transform? You can make decent money with soccer (even if you aren't elite at all), but football is only played on an amateur level here; there are no structures, there is no big fanbase, no money in it. (The NFL Europe flopped for a reason.)
So the only aim could be the NFL itself - and no way a soccer player by trade could ever compete with your college players.

2. I would never compare a soccer player's athleticism to that of an NFL player. It's something different if you are in (sometimes fast, sometimes slow) motion for 90 minutes straight or if your energy has to burst out for a few seconds to its fullest, like in football. In general, I doubt soccer players are athletic enough to compete with a CB or WR (which probably would be the positions at least most similar to the athletic capabilities of a soccer player). - At the risk of being criticized for that, I also feel that the quite loose regulations on enhancing drugs (like steroids) in football also play their part here, Europe is much stricter on that.

3. There were transitions from soccer to (professional) football - but (as far as I know) only on the kicker position. There even was an Austrian - Toni Fritsch - who came to the Cowboys after a fairly successful soccer career and even won a ring there [and later became a Pro Bowler as well].

4. That just crossed my mind, and it should be mentioned here as well: In soccer, athleticism is not as important as technique and good skills with the ball... which makes a transition even more improbable; these (well... mostly... just thinking about some Austrian players) most important and distinct talents would go to waste.

Last edited by hollodero; 08-20-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

German Bundesliga starts today... (besides from the NFL, it's the sports league attracting most spectators). Dortmund-Bremen to start in one hour.

Btw. thought of another reason why soccer players don't convert to football. Football players have to be smart. Many soccer players aren't.
- Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYU-SeVofHs (that's Mario Balotelli, one of the sport's rising young strikers)
Old 08-24-2012, 05:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 22211

I am actually becoming a pretty big closet fan of soccer. However, I am only really a fan of the World Cup and also the Olympics, though I do know that the World Cup is the ultimate soccer tourney. Also watched quite a bit of the EU tourney there before the Olympics. But I can't get into MLS over here, or the leagues in Europe or the Americas though.

On a side note going to see my niece play in the morning. She is 4 and it is fun & cute the first 5 minutes or so. Then boredom sets in lol.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 08-24-2012, 05:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollodero View Post
German Bundesliga starts today... (besides from the NFL, it's the sports league attracting most spectators). Dortmund-Bremen to start in one hour.

Btw. thought of another reason why soccer players don't convert to football. Football players have to be smart. Many soccer players aren't.
- Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYU-SeVofHs (that's Mario Balotelli, one of the sport's rising young strikers)
Some of them are so amazingly gifted physically though in terms of footwork, speed, agility, and leaping ability. I am sure there are a few that would be great DB's or RB's.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater View Post
Some of them are so amazingly gifted physically though in terms of footwork, speed, agility, and leaping ability. I am sure there are a few that would be great DB's or RB's.
RBs? I think they would just die out there... - DBs, maybe, but I doubt it - for reasons I already stated.

What's new? Not too much. Champions League qualifying rounds finish today. Udinese, btw., did not make it. 1:1 in both games against Braga, so a penalty shootout had to decide. That was Udinese's last penalty.... so coooooly done, right... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQKBMJzjyYI

The probably worst shot penalty ever occurred in the austrian League, however.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejw96v408WU

And here are some more examples for the art of not scoring - talking about amazing footwork:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjtY2HhAe2s

Submitted these links, for there's nothing too entertaining to report. Chelsea doing well, three wins in three games - although I felt they used up all the fortune a club can have within the last year when winning the CL. - Real Madrid doing lousy...
..well then.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rapid Vienna playing for the entry into the EuroLeague now. With Terrence Boyd starting.

Edit, they did it. After 1-2 in Saloniki they won 3-0 in Vienna. Terrence Boyd scoring the 2-0. 2-0 Boyd (low quality)

Last edited by hollodero; 08-30-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7473

Looks like a little tiny soccer thread right now

Keep me updated with crazy messi / ronaldo goals/stats. That's all I ask for.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
Looks like a little tiny soccer thread right now

Oh it will be getting big and fat... give it time to fatten, like a fine and beloved wife.
But right now nothing too interesting is happening...

OK, there was the draw for the Champions League Group stage. And there is a group with Real Madrid, Manchester City (Englisch champion), Borussia Dortmund (German champion) and Ajax Amsterdam (who dominated some time in the '90s). Might be interesting.

Real is the club of Ronaldo, as I expect you to know...! I can give you some Ronaldo tricks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7INmV...watch_response

And there is the spectacular first goal Terrence Boyd scored for Rapid Vienna (against AS Roma): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kdZOz-VBrw
(But don't get the hopes too high for that guy. He actually might not be that good after all.)
Old 08-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

lol, right now is the "Supercup", a not-so-important Cup last years winners of ChampionsLeague (Chelsea) and EuroLeague (Atletico Madrid) battle for.

Intermediate result: 4-0 for Atletico. Chelsea takes a severe, severe beating... still 30 mins to play.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I'll try.
Ronaldo scored two goals tonight (Real beating granada 3-0). Here's the first one: 1-0 Ronaldo

And here is a compilation of his last year's best moves (but turn the music down - if anyone even watches these things): Ronaldo doing stuff

Please don't turn him into a RB... it would seriously mess up his hairdo (and he would get killed, which might be his second biggest concern.)

- Next time: Messi.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11326

One of my favorite goalie saves:

Colombian keeper,Higuita
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...YmmV7Oa-U&NR=1
Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carp View Post
One of my favorite goalie saves:

Colombian keeper,Higuita
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...YmmV7Oa-U&NR=1
Oh yeah, that was great. El loco... - he also could score himself: Great commentator, count the "gols"...

- his being extravagant had his downside, hovewer.
Here he performs in the 1990 World Cup, round of 16, against Cameroon's Roger Milla:
Not so smart...
Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Good luck for the US squad against Jamaica today...!
Game starts now.

(lol... that didn't take long...)

[-- ehm, well, sorry for the loss. 1-2... fire Klinsmann, let Herzog do it. Tell your responsible organization.]

Last edited by hollodero; 09-08-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2889

Going to Columbus to see the USA men get revenge for our first ever loss to Jamaica. Columbus has always been a fortress for the nats, and I expect nothing less than 3 points.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood Bengal View Post
Going to Columbus to see the USA men get revenge for our first ever loss to Jamaica. Columbus has always been a fortress for the nats, and I expect nothing less than 3 points.
And rightfully so. It's Jamaica. Still, throw out Klinsmann - the most overrated coach in recent soccer history. (Keep Herzog, though, that man might be a jewel.)

Tonight is a big day for my small country, as we face Germany in the World Cup qualifiers. That are the ones we desperately want to beat, and like always there is modest optimism (which like always will be disappointed.) - Still, game of the year! (For us. For the world, not so much. Top game in todays qualifying rounds might be England-Ukraine.)

- Good luck to the US squad! Hope you win, hope Boyd scores for you.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Hey, you made it! Although, honestly, not really convincing - given an US squad that seemed on the rise for greatness the last years. - But Jamaica is beaten!

(We didn't do it, Germany beat us 2-1, as they always do, with a little luck this time.)

Promised some Messi - there is some Messi, the little Barcelona striker, arguably best player of the world, but most definite more likeable (believe me) than crybaby Ronaldo
- Nice Messi best of.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7473

Quote:
Hey, you made it! Although, honestly, not really convincing - given an US squad that seemed on the rise for greatness the last years. - But Jamaica is beaten!

(We didn't do it, Germany beat us 2-1, as they always do, with a little luck this time.)

Promised some Messi - there is some Messi, the little Barcelona striker, arguably best player of the world, but most definite more likeable (believe me) than crybaby Ronaldo
- Nice Messi best of.

Not convincing since we only won by a goal?? We had 3 shots in the first half go off the woodwork and completely dominated them. It was pretty convincing to me.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Not convincing since we only won by a goal?? We had 3 shots in the first half go off the woodwork and completely dominated them. It was pretty convincing to me.
Yeah, well... didn't really see the game (didn't know about the shots to the post), but since it's really only Jamaica, and your team had something to prove, I'd say it's still low. 1-0 usually is.

OK, maybe the score just went far too low due to bad luck, whatever. It's not important, the three points are.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Champions League, guys!

For example: Real Madrid - Manchester City. Starting soon.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1138

Quote:
Champions League, guys!

For example: Real Madrid - Manchester City. Starting soon.
That was an awesome match!

Here's a question: who do opposing team's fan root for in the Champions League? For example, does the average Man U fan root for or against another Premier League team or do they just not care? Since I don't have a dog in the fight, I usually find myself rooting for the Premier League teams just because I watch them more often.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member

Oh my, I neglected (and forgot) this thread... what a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergonnachange View Post
That was an awesome match!

Here's a question: who do opposing team's fan root for in the Champions League? For example, does the average Man U fan root for or against another Premier League team or do they just not care? Since I don't have a dog in the fight, I usually find myself rooting for the Premier League teams just because I watch them more often.
First, yes it was.

And for your question... I guess it depends. My country is small and not very competitive in soccer overall, so we generally root for all our teams playing in the European Leagues (especially in the CL, but we didn't get there for several years), as long as they do (which usually isn't too long) - even if it's not our favourite team. It might be common to do so in smaller countries, for success also might provide more spaces in the European Leagues for the own countries' teams in the next years - maybe including the own then.

Now regarding bigger/more important soccer countries like England - well, I'd say it depends. There are deep rivalries, and I'm not too certain that any Everton fan roots for Liverpool, or a Tottenham fan for Arsenal; probably not. Apart from that, I guess the effect is similar to the one you describe - you might root for the teams you know better (as long as you don't hate them), and there will be a "national" aspect to it as well.

So, I'd say it's an individual choice, in general fans might root for teams from the same country, but not necessarily if it's an inviduous rival.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member

I most certainly forgot about this thread... again. And millions of Bengals fans were certainly wondering, where is this awesome guy with his outstanding knowledge, where are all the soccer informations I'm so desperately longing for?

Well, your longing shall last no longer!

Champions League - as you are well aware, the undispuded supreme discipline in soccer - has almost finished its group stage, getting ready for the real excitement (which, of course, only starts next year). One gameday is still left, but most of the survivors are already fixed.

That said, a recap of the things that happened in the groups.

Group A included the former surprise CL winner FC Porto (Portugal), the newly-high-sponsored club from Paris, Paris St. Germain, Dinamo Kiev from Ukraine and Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia), so it was a rather dinamic group, as you can see. But the dinamos of course were the underdogs, and as almost always they in fact didn't stand a chance against Porto or the rich Paris St. Germain (a club like that is sometimes referred to as "gotten sheikhed", and that catches the spirit). Money wins games.
Most remarkable player is Swedish player Zlatan Ibrahimovic at Paris - and no, it's not always just about Messi and Ronaldo. A remarkable, big, but still very flexible player, arrogant, with a boastful attitude, but genius most certainly slumbers inside him. In his career's autum, he decided to go to a rich second-string club, arguably being worth his money.
--- If you never ever clicked a link of mine before, click this one nevertheless. One of the most amazing goals ever (scored recently for Sweden in a friendly vs. England).

-- Nothing too special in this group, Porto and Paris St. Germain qualified in a commanding way, just battling for the win in the group on the last day.

Group B included Arsenal London, Schalke 04 from Gelsenkirchen in Germany (arguably one of the ugliest cities in Europe, so I'm told - don't dare to look for myself), sponsored by russian Gazprom (no comment necessary), and moreover Olympiacos Piräus from Greeece and surprise-winner of the French championship last year, Montpellier. Who knows soccer the slightest knows that surprise-winners hardly ever stand a chance, since they have to sell their best players to richer clubs - and this group was no exception. Arsenal qualified, and so did Schalke.

In Group C Italian club AC Milan (unlikeable to the bone, since it belongs to the certainly unclean media tycoon and former Italian Prime Minister - well, what's the money good for - Silvio Berlusconi) met Zenit St. Petersburg from Russia, CL rookie Malaga CF from Spain and RSC Anderlecht from Belgium. It's a group where a surprise is to report, as Zenit St. Petersburg underperformed badly, while surprise team Malaga qualified in the most impressive manner, even though their budget is a lot smaller (that goes as a surprise. And "small" means about 100 Million Euros). - Spiked with some aging former semi-stars, they even beat AC Milan and qualified along the loveable Italian club. As in the groups before, it wasn't even close.

Now Group D was by far the toughest on paper, as all four clubs were national champions, and not in the small leagues either. Borussia Dortmund from Germany met English sheikhed champion Manchester City, Dutch champion Ajax Amsterdam (who have a very successful history in the CL, but the big money is missing) and, last not least, Real Madrid, home of Christiano Ronaldo and some other big names.
Well, someone had to disappoint, and like last year it was Manchester City, while Dortmund, unlike last year, showed a great performance and qualified for the next round, along with Real Madrid.
This group provided some great games, like the already mentioned 3-2 in the opener between Real and ManCity. Ronaldo, who else, scored the deciding goal minutes before the end. Also impressive Dortmund's win over Real, where the mandatory Ronaldo goal couldn't avoid the 1-2 loss over Germany's champion, who has hardly a real superstar (maybe Mario Götze, a name that will be well-known in the future, although it's a disgustiong one), but a strong collective and playing a fast, distinctive, nice to watch game.

Group E featured FC Chelsea, last year's CL winner, and Juventus Turin from Italy, Shakhtar Donezk from Ukraine (a club full of Brazil players which is not to be underestimated) and designated scapegoat FC Nordsjaelland from Denmark, a club nobody knew and which will soon be completely forgotten again. Now the Danish club met the expectations, but Chelsea obviously has used up all its luck in last year's CL win (which, honestly, really was just that, a big, big heap of luck) and most surprisingly probably won't qualify for the next round. Juventus meets already qualified Donezk at the last gameday, and a draw would push both clubs into the next stage, while Chelsea could defeat Nordsjaelland 128 - 0 then, it wouldn't help them anymore.

Now Group F, and back to boredom. Bayern München, Germany's most successful (and most disliked, and not only disliked by nobodys, but also by me) club, meets FC Valencia from Spain, OSC Lille from France and BATE Borisov from Belarus, yes really, Belarus. Although in the end all went as planned - Munich and Valencia qualifying - there was a big surprise in this group, when Borisov defeated Munich 3-1 (which is almost as if the senior citizen squad from Paris, Texas beats the New England Patriots).

Group G included FC Barcelona, home of Lionel Messi and the club that set the tone in recent years, having developed a new style which mainly consists of getting the ball and just never giving it away again. Short, quick passes, helpless defenders chasing it in midfield, nice to watch at first, but getting annoying now - and not always efficient. They also have the smallest players of all professional clubs in Europe (the biggest ones, btw., are in a small club from a small province in my small country), but so they are closer to the ball, and gravitay isn't so much an enemy... impressive, I give them that. They lost one game in the group stage, 1-2 to Celtic Glasgow, although they had the ball a whopping 84% of the time (which is CL record)... in the second half, inofficially it were 97%, while Celtic had the ball for exactly 57 seconds (of 45 minutes) -- enough to outscore them anyways.
Barcelona qualified nevertheless in the group that also included already-mentioned Celtic Glasgow, Benfica Lisbon and Spartak Moscow (who also almost won against Barcelona, before two Messi goals brought Barca the late win). Through the surprising win, Celtic still has the chance to qualify, battling Benfica for second place -and Benfica still has to play Barcelona, while Celtic (a powerful team featuring no particular soccer skills whatsoever) has the much easier task against Spartak.

Finally, Group H featured Manchester United, the club with the legends on the field and the legend an the coaches' bench, that met Sporting Braga from Portugal, CFR Cluj from Romania and one of the many Istanbul clubs, Galatasaray. Whoever thought that was just a piece of cake for Manchester, thought exactly right - surprisingly competitive Cluj will battle Galatasaray for the second qualifying spot, while Braga is out. That group is so boring nevertheless, I have nothing further to say about it.

- So that's my update, but only from now on is it getting really interesting - since there are knockout-duels (always 2 games, home and away) after the last round, starting next year.
I'll keep you updated - and by "you" I mean the 0-1 people really reading that stuff.

---
Some statistical data at the end:

Topscorers with 5 goals so far are Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo (who else, right), but also a certain "Alan" from Sporting Braga and a even more certain "Burak Yilmaz" from Galatasaray. (Remarkable followers are Huntelaar (Schalke) and Lewandowski (Dortmund) with 4 goals, and Benzema (Real), Javier Hernandez (ManU), van Persie (ManU) with 3 goals so far, all amongst others).
The most assists has Zlatan Ibrahimovic with 5. (Ronaldo has zero.)
The highest win has Bayern munich, 6-1 vs. Lille.
The most remarkable goal (well, matter of opinion) was scored yesterday by Milan defender Mexes vs. Anderlecht. See for yourself.

Last edited by hollodero; 11-22-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 833

Come on u spurssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss