Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3244
Default Chase Thomas, OLB Stanford

I'm surprised that more people are not talking about Chase Thomas, OLB out of Stanford. He is one of the big reasons that Stanford has had a great defense in recent years. He fits that Peter Boulware type of OLB that Marvin has always seemed to prefer (and wish he had again). Boulware was primarily a rushing SAM that could set the edge in the run game, with his emphasis on sacks, TFL, and PDs.

Thomas started at DE when Stanford was in a 4-3 in 2009 as a redshirt freshman, but switched to OLB when they went to a 3-4 in 2010. He is now about to finish his third year at OLB. While already being a very sound tackler, pass rusher, and run stopper, Chase Thomas chose to come back to Stanford for his senior year. One of his biggest focuses during the offseason and into his senior year was developing his coverage skills as an OLB and becoming more versatile. Chase Thomas has been known for his outstanding motor, leadership, discipline, and instincts. He is personally my second favorite SAM prospect, behind Jarvis Jones. He has a better chance at succeeding as a 4-3 SAM than trying to convert a player that only has played DE, as he has been a LB for a couple years now. Chase Thomas runs a 4.74 40-yard-dash, which is faster than both Maualuga (4.86) and Burfict (4.92), and identical to Jarvis Jones. Thomas has added 40 lbs of lean muscle since coming in his freshman year, up to 248 lbs.

Here are two really good articles on Chase Thomas that discuss his work ethic, reasons for returning to Stanford for his senior year, and his skill set.

http://www.buckcardinal.com/blog/fea...with-a-purpose

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blo...anford-preview

Stanford career statistics: http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-f...s_chase00.html

Chase Thomas is currently projected as an early second-round pick, and could push into the late first round, depending on his performance for the remainder of the season.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 11-16-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 487
Default Re: Chase Thomas, OLB Stanford

Great write up. I'll have to find some film on him
Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30022

I don't think anyone is talking about Thomas because the focus has been on replacing Rey the past couple of months. If Rey continues to play the way he has the past couple of weeks that may change.

Plus I wouldn't mind taking Te'o and putting him at SAM.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
I don't think anyone is talking about Thomas because the focus has been on replacing Rey the past couple of months. If Rey continues to play the way he has the past couple of weeks that may change.

Plus I wouldn't mind taking Te'o and putting him at SAM.
I don't think Te'o is going to be an option. My guess is that he will go at least as high as Keuchly did last year. That's ok with me, I don't think he's going to be a great NFL guy.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3955

I bet Thomas has a meteoric rise like Shea Mcclellan did last year. Either him or porter

Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496
bengals Re: Chase Thomas, OLB Stanford

I think he is an absolute terror and will translate to the next level in a 3-4 or 4-3. Always around the ball with a non-stop motor his coverage skills arent great but for our scheme I think he'd be a great fit. I hope Pittsburg doesn't even consider him.lol
Old 11-21-2012, 10:23 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 76

I like Brandon Jenkins better but Thomas is a more complete player.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3244

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyyDee View Post
Jenkins is a good rusher, and probably more of a physical freak than Thomas. Thomas isn't a huge athletic freak, but his motor, instincts, and football intelligence are outstanding. Plus, he actually plays OLB, so his coverage skills are better than Jenkins. I'd feel much safer putting Thomas at SAM than Jenkins.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25178

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyyDee View Post
Jenkins is a true DE who hasn't played due to injury and isn't that good on film.
Thomas is an instinctive player who lacks elite athleticism but makes up for it with his instincts.

If we are talking OLB in a 4-3, I take Thomas 10/10 times
Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 499

I like thomas but i like skov better who plays next to thomas
Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGuy344 View Post
I like thomas but i like skov better who plays next to thomas
Depends on what you want.
more traditional 4-3 LB who can play inside or outside - Skov
pass rushing LB who can set the edge and play coverage - Thomas
Old 11-21-2012, 02:53 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
I like Skov for our Defense in the middle. I really like Thomas I just think ILB is a bigger need. I'd love to grab both.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
I'm surprised that more people are not talking about Chase Thomas, OLB out of Stanford. He is one of the big reasons that Stanford has had a great defense in recent years. He fits that Peter Boulware type of OLB that Marvin has always seemed to prefer (and wish he had again). Boulware was primarily a rushing SAM that could set the edge in the run game, with his emphasis on sacks, TFL, and PDs.

Thomas started at DE when Stanford was in a 4-3 in 2009 as a redshirt freshman, but switched to OLB when they went to a 3-4 in 2010. He is now about to finish his third year at OLB. While already being a very sound tackler, pass rusher, and run stopper, Chase Thomas chose to come back to Stanford for his senior year. One of his biggest focuses during the offseason and into his senior year was developing his coverage skills as an OLB and becoming more versatile. Chase Thomas has been known for his outstanding motor, leadership, discipline, and instincts. He is personally my second favorite SAM prospect, behind Jarvis Jones. He has a better chance at succeeding as a 4-3 SAM than trying to convert a player that only has played DE, as he has been a LB for a couple years now. Chase Thomas runs a 4.74 40-yard-dash, which is faster than both Maualuga (4.86) and Burfict (4.92), and identical to Jarvis Jones. Thomas has added 40 lbs of lean muscle since coming in his freshman year, up to 248 lbs.

Here are two really good articles on Chase Thomas that discuss his work ethic, reasons for returning to Stanford for his senior year, and his skill set.

Stanford career statistics: http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-f...s_chase00.html

Chase Thomas is currently projected as an early second-round pick, and could push into the late first round, depending on his performance for the remainder of the season.
Can't agree more. Marvin has been looking for another Boulware since he got here and just hasn't found one. I watched this guy against Notre Dame and he was all over. I am sure Marv has a semi over him
Old 11-23-2012, 01:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3421

Quote:

I love Skov, but I think we need this more. Plus he's a smart player. We need as many smart guys as we can get.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17152

I like both Skov and Thomas, but would love to pickup Thomas if he's there with one of our 2nd picks. I think he'll be a beast in the NFL and would make us a better defense.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24306

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post

I have brought up Thomas in previous threads as well. The big knock has been coverage skills. I have seen a marked improvement in this area for him. His play on the field has shown that it has been a focus for him and he has certainly improved. I believe he could start day one at SLB and make an impact for this franchise.

I believe re-signing Howard to play Will, moving Burfict to the Mike, and drafting Thomas to play the Sam would give us one of the best 4-3 LB corps in the NFL.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGuy344 View Post
I like Skov for our Defense in the middle. I really like Thomas I just think ILB is a bigger need. I'd love to grab both.
Have you heard of this young guy we have named Burfict? While I was weary of his past history he has seemingly learned from the mistakes of his past and is proving to be a very instinctive football player who should move to the middle in 2013 for this franchise. He is playing WLB because of the injury to Howard.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Jenkins is a true DE who hasn't played due to injury and isn't that good on film.
Thomas is an instinctive player who lacks elite athleticism but makes up for it with his instincts.

If we are talking OLB in a 4-3, I take Thomas 10/10 times
Imagine my confusion......a discussion you and I had in regard to Chase Thomas. My statement on top followed by your reply:

OSUfan
Quote:
I think Burfict takes over the middle next season. I do not see Rey back with the team. I would like to see us get Chase Thomas from Stanford to play SLB. I think they will re-sign Howard to play WLB but probably look in the mid rounds for someone to groom and backup the will position
http://boards.bengals.com/showthread...as#post2642775

Berserker
Quote:
Pass on Thomas.
He is a 3-4 OLB all the way. Sure he could possibly translate to a 4-3 but do we really want to take another position switch?

OSUfan
Quote:
You mean outside LB to outside LB? Seriously...I think this is pushing the envelope of changing position just alittle. It is not a guy that was a tweener as a DE making the move to LB. Even a 3-4 backer has times they play in space. Maybe not as often but they do it. If they rushed every single down then it takes away the effectiveness of the scheme.

Berserker
Quote:
He is incredibly raw at doing actual linebacker things.
He is essentially a stand up DE. There are other guys who fit the role of a 4-3 LB better.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

And?
I think Jenkins is garbage.
Thomas can be a 4-3 OLB. It would just be a slow process.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8978

i like sean porter
4th Brandon Ivory DT
4th Durell Eskridge S
5th Cedric Reed DE
5th Eric Murray CB
6th Malcolm Brown RB
7th Derrick Malone LB
2014 draft
1st Deone Bucannon S
2nd Cyrus Kouandjio T
3rd Pierre Desir CB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Austin Franklin WR
UDFA Dede Lattimore LB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Josh Stewart WR
UDFA Avery Patterson CB
UDFA Antonio Andrews RB
Old 11-25-2012, 12:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
And?
I think Jenkins is garbage.
Thomas can be a 4-3 OLB. It would just be a slow process.
A slow process but you would take him 10/10 times. Just me I guess but sounds contradictory. I mean in the draft when you are talking a mid first to early second then I would not think a slow process would be the ideal ticket.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
A slow process but you would take him 10/10 times. Just me I guess but sounds contradictory. I mean in the draft when you are talking a mid first to early second then I would not think a slow process would be the ideal ticket.
How? I would take Thomas over Jenkins to play OLB.
I dont think Thomas' best fit is a 4-3 OLB.
Can he do it? Sure. He is an NFL caliber athlete. Most guys could is asked.
Is it ideal? Probably not but this draft is incredibly thin in terms of SLB and Thomas would be #3 after Jones and Mosley.

It would be a very Marvin Lewis pick. And besides, that thread you quoted is over a month old. Are people not allowed to continuously evaluate talent? Thomas has grown on me some but I won't back down from what I said then because at the time I felt it was right.