Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35108
Default Re: Sanu fumble or Sanu Incomplete pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebullfrog24 View Post
Am i the only person who thought that the sanu "fumble" was simply an incomplete pass?

He literally was just gettin ready to take his second step and the ball was already knocked out. It seems like no one is talking about that (probably because we won lol).

What are your guy's thoughts?
Neither it was a BAD whistle.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35108

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
You would be the only one, it's a fumble
Didnt see it... But Fumble or Incomplete you could tell by the discription of the play that several players heard a whistle.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1035

Quote:
Am i the only person who thought that the sanu "fumble" was simply an incomplete pass?

He literally was just gettin ready to take his second step and the ball was already knocked out. It seems like no one is talking about that (probably because we won lol).

I think it was a fumble! I was not sad when the refs blew the play dead. It was a big break!

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter

Old 11-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 770

you can't call it a touchdown being called back.

that idiot ref doesn't blow the whistle, our boys still think the play's alive and they make the tackle.

a crap ref mistake went our way. I'll take it, we don't get many of them these days
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBaron View Post
If the Gresham catch against the Ravens was incomplete, this catch was also incomplete. If I remember correctly, Gresham caught the ball and had firm passion of it. He made a couple of football moves and in his attempt to get a TD, he extended it across the goal line and fumbled it.
Gresham bobbled the ball in the field of play. While trying to regain control of the football, Gresham was going to the ground and only maintained control of the football after the ball had crossed the goal line.

Had Gresham caught the ball cleanly- touchdown
Had Gresham regained control of the ball in the field of play- touchdown
Had Gresham not gone to the ground in the act of making the catch- touchdown
But Gresham didn't catch the ball cleanly. He didn't gain control on the field of play, only in the endzone. He did go to the ground in the act of securing the ball, and because of that he had to maintain control through the landing, which he did not.

Very much like the Calvin Johnson play. The receiver has to maintain possession of the ball through the landing. Neither did, and (correctly) neither was ruled a touchdown.

Sanu gained control, started to tuck the ball away, and before taking two steps or making a football move, the ball was knocked out. This is different from the AJ Green play against the Ravens when Lewis failed to throw the challenge flag. Green controlled the ball, took three full steps, tucked the ball away, was tackled and his knee and forearm hit the ground when the ball came free. The ground cannot cause a fumble and Green should have been ruled down by contact.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3796

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
it was an incomplete pass only cause it was a bengal. If it was a raider it was clearly a fumble.
bingo
Old 11-26-2012, 01:17 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9133
Default Re: The inadvertent whistle at yesterday's game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4It View Post
Kind of reminds me of the 2005 game at Baltimore. Then Bengals TE Matt Schobel fumbled at the Baltimore 42 yard line where then Ravens safety Will Demps picked up the ball and went the distance for an apparent defensive TD. But an official inadvertently blew his whistle as Demps was about to pick up the ball. That cost the Ravens a defensive TD which turned that game in our favor. Anybody remember that game? The exact same thing happened yesterday and again the game turned in our favor.
I remember. The officials that day then compounded the error by giving Baltimore the ball at the spot of the recovery, when it should have remained our ball (as it did yesterday). Would have been really harsh for the Ravens for us to keep the ball, but that's the rule.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
Didn't really matter, although I do think it was a bad call. You could clearly hear the whistle, at which point the Bengals (and most of the Raiders) quit on the play.

So, instead of beating them by 24, we would have beat them by 17. It's still a blow-out. Actually, we could have beat them by 38. Raiders got lucky we didn't hang 50+ on them.
You don't know that. Ever hear of momentum? We weren't doing anything in the third quarter and that could've easily have gave them momentum to go in and mount a comeback.

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26816
bengals Re: Sanu fumble or Sanu Incomplete pass?

Quote:

Completed pass and insanely awesome play by Hanson is what i thought.

Should have been a Raiders TD.

We would have still beat them but it was just a great play by Hanson, nothing bad on Sanu's part.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5275

As a Bengal fan I remember the ol "inadvertent whistle" burning the Bengals on many occasions, I used to think they did it on purpose just to skrew them over
Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2559

My initial thought was incomplete pass but It was clearly a funble based on replay we got lucky on that one but who cares it woulda made no difference
Bengals fan since October 1, 1991 ironically the same day I was born. In what will soon be 23 years of living on this earth I have yet to see a Bengals playoff win. WHO DEY 2014-15 The year of Stripes!!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3517

Quote:

Incomplete pass. Sanu didn't have possession.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 602

From Mike Pereira's twitter feed.....either way - game was over before this play. Bengal's have been on the bad end of many horrible calls - many of which actually impacted the final result.

Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira

In OAK/CIN that play should have been ruled incomplete pass in the first place.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24295
bengals Re: Sanu fumble or Sanu Incomplete pass?

Quote:

To me it was a fumble. However, with the new rulings there is room for the debate of did he make a football move.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:45 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolomen View Post
Gresham bobbled the ball in the field of play. While trying to regain control of the football, Gresham was going to the ground and only maintained control of the football after the ball had crossed the goal line.

But Gresham didn't catch the ball cleanly. He didn't gain control on the field of play, only in the endzone. He did go to the ground in the act of securing the ball, and because of that he had to maintain control through the landing, which he did not.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20610

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
I disagree. The only two players near the play for the Bengals were Sanu, who was knocked down, and Marvin Jones who was jogging towards the play as the Raiders kept playing. To me that play was a reflection of the lackadasical approach the Bengals took to the 2nd half and the Raiders playing with desperation. My recollection is that the Raider had possession before the whistle blew.

Who knows what the score would have ended up, but a touchdown there would have made it a 10 point game with over seven minutes to go. No telling what would have happened from there.
Nothing different in the final outcome. Just a slightly different score. The only way the Raiders could move the ball was running it. They were not going to score two more times by running the ball. Palmer would have thrown another pick in his lame *** attempt to come back. If we're playing what if, we can make up anything we want, right?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10370

If we die by "football move" then we must also live by it.

I say incomplete. The whistle came because he couldn't hang on to it and did not secure and move with the ball.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 434

People seem to be pretty half and half on incomplete/fumble lol.

For the people who think it is a fumble, i just don't understand where you saw the "football move" at.

You can't have one foot on the ground, go to take your second step and have the ball knocked out and it be constituted a "football move".

Also (because i know this will happen), I"M HAPPY FOR THE WIN. I am just arguing for arguments sake. Don't be that guy who says "OmG why ArE yoU Guys fiGhtiNg!?!?? wE WON!!!".
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

I thought it was a fumble when he took 2 steps with possession and the fumble recovery looked a lot like the one made by Greg Toler in Atlanta last week and the unbiased people I know who arent fans of either team thought it was a fumble too
Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9133

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolomen View Post

Very much like the Calvin Johnson play. The receiver has to maintain possession of the ball through the landing. Neither did, and (correctly) neither was ruled a touchdown....
Gresham's play actually WAS a touchdown, as confirmed by the former head of officiating Mike Perrera in his officials' review after the game. He explained that it's only an incompletion if the ball had come OUT of Gresham's hand when it hit the ground ... movement is not enough. That's why he stressed it was different to the Calvin Johnson play. With that play, the ball came out of Johnson's hand when he hit the ground. Perrera was highly critical of the ref for reversing Gresham's TD.

As for Sanu's play ... it's very close. The contact which dislodges the ball comes very quickly after he gets his hands on the ball ... I really couldn't predict what the result of a replay would have been. They might have gone fumble or incompletion on that ... there is an argument for either IMO. I think incompletion would be most consistent with how I've seen that ruled before (Perrera, who I mentioned above, always talked about "bang-bang" plays and how they didn't want "cheap" fumbles in the NFL, which to me would translate into the ball was dislodged so soon after he got his hands on it that the pass was incomplete, not a catch and a fumble)

Last edited by Ryan Mc; 11-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 PM

Rep Points: 19

watching it live, i thought incomplete, on replay it was a fumble.

Since the whistle blew, i figured the bengals would of gotten the ball where the ref thought it went out. Did anyone know of the option of replaying the down on the inadvertent whistle, i had never seen or heard of that before?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5275

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Im trolling the Raiders forum and they swear that if it were called a fumble they would have won... Delusional fanbase.
Pot meet Kettle
Old 11-26-2012, 09:36 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
Gresham's play actually WAS a touchdown, as confirmed by the former head of officiating Mike Perrera in his officials' review after the game. He explained that it's only an incompletion if the ball had come OUT of Gresham's hand when it hit the ground ... movement is not enough. That's why he stressed it was different to the Calvin Johnson play. With that play, the ball came out of Johnson's hand when he hit the ground. Perrera was highly critical of the ref for reversing Gresham's TD.

As for Sanu's play ... it's very close. The contact which dislodges the ball comes very quickly after he gets his hands on the ball ... I really couldn't predict what the result of a replay would have been. They might have gone fumble or incompletion on that ... there is an argument for either IMO. I think incompletion would be most consistent with how I've seen that ruled before (Perrera, who I mentioned above, always talked about "bang-bang" plays and how they didn't want "cheap" fumbles in the NFL, which to me would translate into the ball was dislodged so soon after he got his hands on it that the pass was incomplete, not a catch and a fumble)
Thank you.

He had 2 damn fingers on the ball the ENTIRE time, therefore he had possession.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 174

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...fficial-Review

SALT IN THE WOUND, RAIDERS FANS, SALT IN THE WOUND. . .Now, recommence the crying.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10370

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20YearsAndStillBelieving View Post
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...fficial-Review

SALT IN THE WOUND, RAIDERS FANS, SALT IN THE WOUND. . .Now, recommence the crying.
Thank you.

Like I said before.

We have died by the non "football move" so we must live by it as well.

Bang Bang the pass would be incomplete by NFL standards if under review.