Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

View Poll Results: Do We Still Draft A Backer?
Draft a WILL and put Burfict at SAM? 4 12.90%
Draft a SAM and keep Burfict at WILL? 8 25.81%
Wait and make sure that Rey keeps improving? 8 25.81%
Too little, too late- replace Rey? 14 45.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19198
Default Is Backer Even A Need Now?

I might be rolling to conclusions, but has Rey's play in the last few games eliminated the need for a linebacker? I was set on saying bye to Rey and drafting a MIKE and putting Burfict at SAM (Burfict's said that he likes playing in space on the outside) or Burfict at MIKE and drafting a SAM, but Rey's been impressive lately, so do we need to draft someone?

Draft a WILL and put Burfict at SAM?

Draft a SAM and keep Burfict at WILL?

Wait and make sure that Rey keeps improving?

Too little, too late, replace Rey?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:27 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25114
Default Re: Is Backer Even A Need Now?

Too soon to say. If Rey finishes strong, the team will likely give him another shot.
If he plays horrible down the stretch, then we need a LB.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Too soon to say. If Rey finishes strong, the team will likely give him another shot.
If he plays horrible down the stretch, then we need a LB.
I am worried that your right. The front office has shown time and again its ok with rotten starts and strong finishes.

I chose too little, too late. I do not want someone so
wildly inconsistent as the leader of our Defense.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 11-26-2012, 02:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3390

I prefer to keep Burfict at WILL and draft a SAM. Hate to move a guy that is being productive.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I am worried that your right. The front office has shown time and again its ok with rotten starts and strong finishes.

I chose too little, too late. I do not want someone so
wildly inconsistent as the leader of our Defense.
When you look at the draft, there are 2 MLB who would likely start on our defense from day 1. We won't be around when Teo goes and I still doubt Ogletree declares.
Outside of that, you are looking at a lot of "?" in terms of MLB in this draft.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
I prefer to keep Burfict at WILL and draft a SAM. Hate to move a guy that is being productive.
I agree because he is about as productive as you can get for a WILL. I think he could be a pro bowl player in a year or so and maybe even an alternate this year if someones injured.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23057

No matter what, the Bengals need at least one linebacker.

I like Burfict at WILL, draft a new SAM, and let Rey try and hold down the middle if he finishes strong. If he chokes, then the Bengals need to replace him as well.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
No matter what, the Bengals need at least one linebacker.

I like Burfict at WILL, draft a new SAM, and let Rey try and hold down the middle if he finishes strong. If he chokes, then the Bengals need to replace him as well.
Yep.
Pretty simple on paper but it will really come down to Rey's play down the stretch
Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

I was affraid this was going to happen! Maualuga has a couple good games and everyone forgets how AWFUL of a MLB he is. He is not a starting LB.....maybe a backup at best. His name was on the hot seat for a couple weeks and he finally decided to kick it into gear and now everyone is forgetting about how bad he is.

I vote for drafting any LB. I actually would like to draft two LB's with our first 4 picks. That way we can resign Rey as a BACKUP.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
I was affraid this was going to happen! Maualuga has a couple good games and everyone forgets how AWFUL of a MLB he is. He is not a starting LB.....maybe a backup at best. His name was on the hot seat for a couple weeks and he finally decided to kick it into gear and now everyone is forgetting about how bad he is.

I vote for drafting any LB. I actually would like to draft two LB's with our first 4 picks. That way we can resign Rey as a BACKUP.
He has had as many good games as bad over the last 2 years. If he finishes 2012 strong then there is no reason not to bring him back.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3244

I like drafting a new SAM, as Burfict is better in coverage and fits WILL or MIKE better. Burfict at WILL, possibly Maualuga at MIKE (if he continues his improvement), and draft a SAM like Chase Thomas. Or move Burfict to MIKE, re-sign Howard or play Lamur at WILL, and still draft a SAM. Either way, DRAFT A SAM.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3244

Quote:

We could draft just one LB with the first four picks and still can put Maualuga as a backup.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3955

It's like dead cat bounce, just with Maualuga.

Anyways, depending on who we can get. If we can get someone like Mosley, I'd like to move Burfict to SAM, as I think he's better suited concentrating on limited coverage and utilizing his pass rush skills that way. Mosley is excellent in coverage for 'Bama and would be a great WILL.

If we wait and get someone like Porter or Thomas, I say keep Burfict at WILL and spell Lamur for relief.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41503

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
I might be rolling to conclusions, but has Rey's play in the last few games eliminated the need for a linebacker?
Where does this "Rey is playing better lately" stance come from? PFF has rated him our worst defender 2 out of the last 3 weeks. Dude needs replaced, nothing has changed: poor angles, can't shake blockers, liability in coverage. I've never seen him call a pre-snap adjustment for D, because he can't recognize the mismatch. I've seen Crocker, Hall, and even Burfict do this, but never Rey.
Move VB inside, and draft/sign a SAM (maybe Zims picks up another ex-poke in Spencer). Rey can and should be replaced.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Where does this "Rey is playing better lately" stance come from? PFF has rated him our worst defender 2 out of the last 3 weeks. Dude needs replaced, nothing has changed: poor angles, can't shake blockers, liability in coverage. I've never seen him call a pre-snap adjustment for D, because he can't recognize the mismatch. I've seen Crocker, Hall, and even Burfict do this, but never Rey.
Move VB inside, and draft/sign a SAM (maybe Zims picks up another ex-poke in Spencer). Rey can and should be replaced.
Burfict has been down there too. Get rid of em!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Burfict has been down there too. Get rid of em!
Silly really. Burfict's a rookie, playing a position he has not played before. And still he has never been THE WORST. How many times has Rey been?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3197

I think if Rey's production keeps solid or even improves, it puts us in a really good place.

I would not be opposed to keeping him, but I think it would be foolish to over pay him to stay.
Odds are we could improve the linebacker position thru free agency and/or the draft.

Burfict has been a nice surprise, and his performance really opens it up for us.
We now have the option of taking BPA at the LB position....if there is a better OLB, we could take him, if there is a better ILB we could take him.

The position is still a need....just maybe not as critical as it was a few weeks ago.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19198

Quote:

He's showing the ability to be a good MIKE, and he's being a good MIKE, so why replace him with an unproven guy if he can keep it going?

You could say move Burfict to MIKE, but he's been a strength at WILL (or SAM, if we move him there so he's more involved) and he's also said that he likes playing on the outside.

Quote:
He's been the leader of our defense and, sometimes (a lot of times), stats are misleading,

Lately, he's been where he's supposed to be and impacting plays, whether it's pass coverage, making tackles, forcing a back to run somewhere else, or whatever else.

Maybe he needs more training and needs to work on it more, so have coaches school him in the offseason and have him study his *** off on his own because he's shown the willingness to work hard to get better. So I agree with the pre-snap criticism, but I'd rather teach a guy to do that than I'd feel ok about teaching an unproven guy to make pre-snap reads AND have Rey's abilities.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
He's been the leader of our defense and, sometimes (a lot of times), stats are misleading,

Lately, he's been where he's supposed to be and impacting plays, whether it's pass coverage, making tackles, forcing a back to run somewhere else, or whatever else.

Maybe he needs more training and needs to work on it more, so have coaches school him in the offseason and have him study his *** off on his own because he's shown the willingness to work hard to get better. So I agree with the pre-snap criticism, but I'd rather teach a guy to do that than I'd feel ok about teaching an unproven guy to make pre-snap reads AND have Rey's abilities.
I think you may be giving him too much credit....
Let Rey test the FA market...don't over pay him to come back.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10370

I say we move Burfict to the middle. He has the attitude that goes with the position.

The other LB positions fill through draft/free agency/injured returning players.

If Rey gets a chance to show what he can do. Why not Vontaze? After all he would have been a 1st round draft pick if it weren't for his lapse.

I think his newfound discipline will carry on to the next level at MLB.

Rey should be only picked up at what his FA value is. Nothing more.

I could live with that... as long as change is also taking place.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
I think you may be giving him too much credit....
Let Rey test the FA market...don't over pay him to come back.
Agree with this. I think Rey may be better served as a ILB in a 3-4 (didn't he play that in college?). As a 3-4 ILB the pressure to QB the D does not fall on him. I can see no senario where he would return and be a back up ILB here.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 46952

Well, I think a lot of the LB decision will hinge on the future of Thomas Howard. Weather he makes a full recovery, if the team keeps him on, etc. With a healthy Thomas Howard, we actually have a decent LB corps on the roster.

Obviously, I would like to see a LB taken in the draft, as just like linemen, there's no such thing as having too many good ones.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Agree with this. I think Rey may be better served as a ILB in a 3-4 (didn't he play that in college?). As a 3-4 ILB the pressure to QB the D does not fall on him. I can see no senario where he would return and be a back up ILB here.
USC was a 4-3 under Carroll as far as I can remember.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
USC was a 4-3 under Carroll as far as I can remember.
I believe you are right....
I do think Rey would do much better in 3-4 tho.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
I believe you are right....
I do think Rey would do much better in 3-4 tho.
I've long thought that. Same reason I don't like Te'o is a 4-3.
For the style of defense we have, I always thought we would end up with a rangier MLB like an Urlacher or Lofton who can go sideline to sideline.