Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 46779
Default Kudos to Paul Alexander.

Trevor Robinson had never played center before this season, and he is already looking like a solid NFL center.

The three players in the middle of our O-line (2 rookies and a second year player) came into this season with a combined 3 NFL starts.

Good job Paul.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1337
Default Re: Kudos to Paul Alexander.

Trevor Robinson gets my unsung hero of the year award. Since he's been the starting center,the running game is reborn and Andy Dalton is having time to scan the field.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1223

Agree Fred, and good job drafting. Zeitler is looking like one of the top guards in the AFC.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Trevor Robinson had never played center before this season, and he is already looking like a solid NFL center.

The three players in the middle of our O-line (2 rookies and a second year player) came into this season with a combined 3 NFL starts.

Good job Paul.
agreed, hes done a great job coaching this kid up and getting him up to speed i hope robinson continues to only get better
Old 11-26-2012, 05:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16653

Is it the players, or the coach.

These players are all business, and football first type of guys.

Alexander has had guys who we were told would be great and they didn't do much.

I think the sucess of the O line, goes to Whitworth teaching these players to be professional. Whitworth helped Andre Smith turn his career in the right direction, he showed Bolings what was needed and how to work in the off season.

I think it is the players, and not Alexander, as he has not produced a solid O line since 05, except when he used an extra O lineman all of 09.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post

Alexander has had guys who we were told would be great and they didn't do much.

I think it is the players, and not Alexander, as he has not produced a solid O line since 05, except when he used an extra O lineman all of 09.
Paul has never had a high draft pick bust.

And that '09 line started 3 undrafted free agents who came into that season with a combined 7 NFL starts (Livings, Cook, Roland). PLus we only used an extra O-lineman on about a quarter of plays.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5062

Am I misremembering or was there an errant snap during the Raiders game when we were in the Red Zone?

Still impressive stuff considering how new he is. And some kudos to Andy Dalton too. 1.5 years in the league and he's on his 3rd or 4th center. That ain't easy.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1420

Definitely big kudos to Alexander. But even bigger kudos to the 3 interior linemen. The fact that 3 first year players (pretty much) are able to play so well is amazing. Trevor has shown me nothing but heart and has been solid. WHO DEY!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7773

Kudos to Alexander but think it was Brian Kelly who suggested this move.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2372

Faine was mistake and has been way out played by Robinson. I think when he has a fresh kid to work with he is good, PA, but teaching vets is another story. I also wonder about guys like A. Collins and O. Hudson, why have they not developed better? Collins looked like our future T and then seemed to regress.

Kudos to the whole team and coaches though, now if we can get them to not let off the gas in the third quarter.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 14
Default Why all the hate on Alexander?

I really don't get all the hate for Paul Alexander. We usually have a good online especially with Mike Brown not spending money. I mean we r on our 3rd center. Vegas says center is the most important position beside Qb. Cook wasn't drafted and is a good center. Livings wasn't drafted and we made the playoffs with him... Seems to me that he does a lot with what he is given and our backups are usually ready to go when we need them......thoughts?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1223
Default Re: Why all the hate on Alexander?

Well, right now, the o-line has two first round picks (Zeitler and Smith) and one second rounder (Whitworth.) That's pretty good material. I'm not holding back on a little credit for Alexander, but it's not like he had a bunch of fifth round picks to work with.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCloud View Post
Well, right now, the o-line has two first round picks (Zeitler and Smith) and one second rounder (Whitworth.) That's pretty good material. I'm not holding back on a little credit for Alexander, but it's not like he had a bunch of fifth round picks to work with.
I think similarly, but thats WHY I think he *****.
Where is the 5th rounder drafted, developed, and blossomed into a star?
We have a line made up of high draft picks and theyre decent as a unit. Not great, not terrible, but decent.

We dont coach players UP, we coach good players to stay good.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7196

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodeyredgreen View Post
We have a line made up of high draft picks and theyre decent as a unit. Not great, not terrible, but decent.

I agree.

This is why we should keep drafting O lineman within the higher rounds. Less to coach and let them use their natural talents. Even Big Willie said PA can't improve players. They have to already be at a high level.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsRocker View Post
I agree.

This is why we should keep drafting O lineman within the higher rounds. Less to coach and let them use their natural talents. Even Big Willie said PA can't improve players. They have to already be at a high level.
Same reason I hate TE coach Hayes
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

You guys are morons.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 14

I def think we have some talent......I just constantly her gripes about Alexander. I think the online has been pretty good for awhile. Our defense is what seems to fail us when we need it the most. Our lbs and safeties especially are never good. Y? We never seem to coach up a lb or saftey. We may have the best dline in the league but our lbs and safties are so bad that i cant see us really going anywhere.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
You guys are morons.
Better recognize fool.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7067
bengals Re: Why all the hate on Alexander?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mychevy45 View Post
I def think we have some talent......I just constantly her gripes about Alexander. I think the online has been pretty good for awhile. Our defense is what seems to fail us when we need it the most. Our lbs and safeties especially are never good. Y? We never seem to coach up a lb or saftey. We may have the best dline in the league but our lbs and safties are so bad that i cant see us really going anywhere.
Go shine your chevy.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1420

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodeyredgreen View Post

umm what about Kyle Cook? or Trevor Robinson? Have they both not been pretty solid for being UDFA's?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18763

This is shaping up to be the best OLine we've had since 2005, but I disagree with many of you arguing that we've always had a good OLine. In my view, the organization has undervalued Olinemen since PB left Mike in charge. The biggest reason we were so awful in the 90s was because of an atrocious OLine. We couldn't keep a QB upright. I can only imagine what Dillon would have done if he'd had a better OLine to run behind.

We hate on Alexander because of guys like Livings.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:30 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Exactly. Remember when we had Evan Mathis and while he would get snaps, Livings would get about twice as much even though everyone could see the line did a better job of when Mathis was in. I will never understand that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 50497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
This is shaping up to be the best OLine we've had since 2005, but I disagree with many of you arguing that we've always had a good OLine. In my view, the organization has undervalued Olinemen since PB left Mike in charge. The biggest reason we were so awful in the 90s was because of an atrocious OLine. We couldn't keep a QB upright. I can only imagine what Dillon would have done if he'd had a better OLine to run behind.

Don't forget another PA great

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Paul Alexander is a renaissance man who mentors NFL players during the day and plays the piano at night, and the combination has led the Cincinnati Bengals offensive line coach to write a book released today.
The book is entitled “Perform: A Journey for Athletes, Musicians, Coaches and Teachers.” Alexander told Bengals.com that the book “shares the perspective of doing difficult things and making them easier.”
Alexander actually was inspired by his daughter, Carolyn, who is a student at the University of Cincinnati’s College-Conservatory of Music (CCM). She is taught by concert pianist Albert Mühlböck, who also has worked with Paul Alexander the past three years.
When asked what he learned from Mühlböck which translated to the football field, the coach described the Alexander Technique. Named after 19th century Australian actor Frederick Matthias Alexander, it’s a method that helps the recipient discover a new balance in the body by releasing unnecessary tension.

Alexander related another story. Bengals right guard Bobbie Williams was struggling to his left coming out of his stance. The harder he would drive out of the set, the more he would struggle. Alexander told him to pretend he was a rope, and the coach was pulling the rope. Since Williams relaxed, instead of just stepping, his leg naturally moved forward to make the step easier and quicker.
Alexander kept a diary of his lessons with Mühlböck, which forms the foundation of the book. It can be ordered at perform-coach.com

Wow that's coaching gold PA.

Just stick to the white keys BTW. Maybe put stickers on em'. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottws View Post
Exactly. Remember when we had Evan Mathis and while he would get snaps, Livings would get about twice as much even though everyone could see the line did a better job of when Mathis was in. I will never understand that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Mathis played well and split time with Livings until he was injured in '09. Then in '10 Mathis got fat and lazy. That is why he could not get anything more than a league minimum contract with the Eagles. However he got himself back in shape before the '11 season and played well again.

Paul would have played Mathis more in '10 if he had not gotten so fat and soft. Mathis just wasn't that good in '10. If he had been then other NFL teams would have offered him more money.