Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:13 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 46818
Default Two D-linemen with 10 sacks and neither one is Dunlap

Before this season started I said that Dunlap would be the key to our defensive line. He was an absolute dominate pass rusher the last two years. Even when he didn't get sacks he was constantly around the QBs pressuring them into quick throws.

Now there is a good chance both Michael Johnson (8 sacks) and Geno Atkins (9) both end up with at least 10 sacks while Dunlap only has two. I still think Carlos is playing pretty well this year, but I never would have expected that we would have two D-linemen with double digit sacks and neither of them would be Dunlap.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27537
Default Re: Two D-linemen with 10 sacks and neither one is Dunlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Before this season started I said that Dunlap would be the key to our defensive line. He was an absolute dominate pass rusher the last two years. Even when he didn't get sacks he was constantly around the QBs pressuring them into quick throws.

Now there is a good chance both Michael Johnson (8 sacks) and Geno Atkins (9) both end up with at least 10 sacks while Dunlap only has two. I still think Carlos is playing pretty well this year, but I never would have expected that we would have two D-linemen with double digit sacks and neither of them would be Dunlap.
Maybe its a factor of Dunlap recieving double teams... (although one play on the radio said they doubled Geathers and left Geno 1 on 1... announcers where like WTF you doing bro...)

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17063

Dunlap's biggest issue is finishing the sack. He disrupts a lot of plays, but usually barely misses on gettin the actual sack. I've noticed this for 2 years. That said, he disrupts a lot of plays and they almost always end in our favor. He's a beast
Old 11-26-2012, 04:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17935

Quote:

Seems like Dunlap has stepped up hi overall game. Might not be collecting sacks, but seems to be playing some of his best all around ball.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2423

The fact that Gilberry has more sacks than ol' Dun is enough of a shocker for me.

MJ is playing well but he is still inconsistent...if he can bring his "A" game every game then the QB will be on the turf more than Neek's...nvm....but his "B" game is still better than the average bear's(not the Chicago kind).

As for Geno...He might hit 15+ sacks before it is all said and done. Just a force in the middle that can't be contained all game. Seems like his guy is always being pushed back into the backfield for a LB or other lineman to get an arm on the guy or he plants the dude in the QB's face.

The Defensive line is one guy away from being that death squad for QBs.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 11709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikairius View Post
The fact that Gilberry has more sacks than ol' Dun is enough of a shocker for me.

MJ is playing well but he is still inconsistent...if he can bring his "A" game every game then the QB will be on the turf more than Neek's...nvm....but his "B" game is still better than the average bear's(not the Chicago kind).

As for Geno...He might hit 15+ sacks before it is all said and done. Just a force in the middle that can't be contained all game. Seems like his guy is always being pushed back into the backfield for a LB or other lineman to get an arm on the guy or he plants the dude in the QB's face.

Do you take into account the NFL is a right hand QB league so offenses best tackle is put on the left side? The side of M. Johnson. He goes against the best every week. Great OT have great weeks too so maybe that is how MJ gets neutralized. Also, some game plans just call for quick releases so it is very hard for anyone to get sacks.

Just some food for thought on MJ.
Round 3 - AJ McCarron - 6'3" 220

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones

Last edited by Luvnit2; 11-26-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
Do you take into account the NFL is a right hand QB league so offenses best tackle is put on the left side? The side of M. Johnson. He goes against the best week every week. Great OT have great weeks too so maybe that is how MJ gets neutralized. Also, some game plans just call for quick releases so it is very hard for anyone to get sacks.

Just some food for thought on MJ.

We played Cleveland twice and Thomas the all pro was in both games. The first game MJ made Thomas his lady. In the other game is was a different story and MJ was completely neutralized. He seems to be an every other week Sack player and I am fine with that and would resign him as soon as he asked. All of us should and will almost always expect more when we know the potential is there.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 160

Quote:

I have a feeling Dunlap is going to get 3 or 4 sacks in a game one of these weeks. He's overdue.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27537

Quote:

that one guy is geathers replacement? lol

MJ needs to be resigned... Gilburry we need to keep although hes earn himself some looks round the league. a very pleasant surprise considering he wasnt our first choice but maybe should have been.

NFL All about skill and making the most of your shot.

At this point of Dunlap MJ and Geno...

Dunlap will be the easyist to resign but he still has another season before he can resign right? or is this is 3rd year.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
that one guy is geathers replacement? lol

MJ needs to be resigned... Gilburry we need to keep although hes earn himself some looks round the league. a very pleasant surprise considering he wasnt our first choice but maybe should have been.

NFL All about skill and making the most of your shot.

At this point of Dunlap MJ and Geno...

Dunlap will be the easyist to resign but he still has another season before he can resign right? or is this is 3rd year.
Yeah pretty much. Geathers was a one year pony and hasn't been as successful since. Still makes the occasional veteran play sniffing out screens and containing plays to the middle of the field but can be improved.

Gilberry gets a resigning for the right value and was a nice surprise.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8772

Quote:

Yeah, I'm surprised too. I kept on waiting for a monster game from Dunlap where he picks up 3 or 4 sacks ... maybe still to come.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

Doesn't matter....Dunlap is good against the run...Sorry couldn't resist.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19904
bengals Re: Two D-linemen with 10 sacks and neither one is Dunlap

Quote:

However many on these boards will tell you how great Dunlap is and how average MJ is. It just baffles me that a kid works hard to improve his game like MJ has and gets zero respect from his teams fans.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5129

Dunlap could have 10 sacks right now if he could finish a sack. He overruns the QB every time.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6259

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Seems like Dunlap has stepped up hi overall game. Might not be collecting sacks, but seems to be playing some of his best all around ball.
This..... It's the Justin Smith effect.

When you do your job sometimes the other guys get fat off it.

MJ is an outstanding player for us but Geno and Dunlap have moved a few of those sacks his way.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6259

Quote:
Yeah pretty much. Geathers was a one year pony and hasn't been as successful since. Still makes the occasional veteran play sniffing out screens and containing plays to the middle of the field but can be improved.

Gilberry gets a resigning for the right value and was a nice surprise.
I still say letting Justin Smith walk in favor of Geathers having a big year with Smith and Sam Adams doing him favors was a bad idea.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 56

Geno is finally getting some love from the national media. Jaws said that he is best DT in the league. Which I agree with.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19904
bengals Re: Two D-linemen with 10 sacks and neither one is Dunlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleJuice View Post
I still say letting Justin Smith walk in favor of Geathers having a big year with Smith and Sam Adams doing him favors was a bad idea.
Smith is proving to be a good fit for the 3-4 scheme nothing more to it.

Geathers is the best run stopping DE on this team.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2882

The positive with Dunlap only having two sacks is it helps us a lot when we do his contract.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 11709

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
The positive with Dunlap only having two sacks is it helps us a lot when we do his contract.
I agree 100%
Round 3 - AJ McCarron - 6'3" 220

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones