Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

View Poll Results: Do We Still Draft A Backer?
Draft a WILL and put Burfict at SAM? 4 12.90%
Draft a SAM and keep Burfict at WILL? 8 25.81%
Wait and make sure that Rey keeps improving? 8 25.81%
Too little, too late- replace Rey? 14 45.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41979
Default Re: Is Backer Even A Need Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
USC was a 4-3 under Carroll as far as I can remember.
Perhaps, but it seems I remember them playing Cushing, Rey, Clay, and Maiava.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25303

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Perhaps, but it seems I remember them playing Cushing, Rey, Clay, and Maiava.
I think they just rotated and changed looks but I thought the base was a 4-3.
Jackson, Griffen and Udeze were all 4-3 DE at USC.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3221

Quote:
I've long thought that. Same reason I don't like Te'o is a 4-3.
For the style of defense we have, I always thought we would end up with a rangier MLB like an Urlacher or Lofton who can go sideline to sideline.
I think you're probably right about Te'o....but I also want to say he's the type of player that is going to excel at the next level, regardless of system.

...but I just like watching the dude play. He's a heckuva player. Seems to have it together too.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
I think you're probably right about Te'o....but I also want to say he's the type of player that is going to excel at the next level, regardless of system.

...but I just like watching the dude play. He's a heckuva player. Seems to have it together too.
I don't see it. I see a good player. He obviously plays for the one school where all you have to be is "good" to get your knob polished by the media, but even then I don't see studly LB play all the time. Before this year he had 0 interceptions. And he has been playing since his freshman year. So that leads me to believe this as somewhat anomalous rather than indicative of his actual skills. The pick vs USC was shockingly similar to the types of INT's Rey got in college (and even in the NFL)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEA_4loz52U
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...a-interception
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3221

Quote:
I don't see it. I see a good player. He obviously plays for the one school where all you have to be is "good" to get your knob polished by the media, but even then I don't see studly LB play all the time. Before this year he had 0 interceptions. And he has been playing since his freshman year. So that leads me to believe this as somewhat anomalous rather than indicative of his actual skills. The pick vs USC was shockingly similar to the types of INT's Rey got in college (and even in the NFL)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEA_4loz52U
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...a-interception
Up until this year, Notre Dame has been kind of a joke....it hasn't been relevant for anything more than nostalgia in about 20 years.

I wasn't going off of the USC game....up against the freshman (who has a pretty outstanding arm, I look forward to seeing him develop)...it just wasn't a good place to judge.

from the limited amount of Notre Dame I've seen, he just always seems to be in on the play....

like I said tho, my assessment is pretty much meaningless on this guy.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19260

Quote:
I think you may be giving him too much credit....
Let Rey test the FA market...don't over pay him to come back.
My point was that nobody will take him as a FA (probably), so I don't think pay will be an issue because he knows that no one will pay him too much, but I think it might be stupid to let him walk without even giving him a decent contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsRocker View Post
I say we move Burfict to the middle. He has the attitude that goes with the position.

The other LB positions fill through draft/free agency/injured returning players.

If Rey gets a chance to show what he can do. Why not Vontaze? After all he would have been a 1st round draft pick if it weren't for his lapse.

I think his newfound discipline will carry on to the next level at MLB.

Rey should be only picked up at what his FA value is. Nothing more.

I could live with that... as long as change is also taking place.
I thought that he was the bad-*** that we need at MIKE, but watching him play on the outside is amazing to watch if you like football and I just think that he's in more of a position to make plays on the outside.

If Taz is better at SAM or WILL and is more of a playmaker, which it seems like he is, what's the point in limiting his upside by moving him back to MIKE? He can blitz more on the outside, play more in pass coverage, and just have all the way to the sideline to make plays.

(Burfict, if you somehow read this post, I apologize if you don't like being called Taz.)

Don't overpay Rey but give him something respectable, maybe with incentives based on the entire defense's performance, and re-sign him.

Quote:

I haven't been impressed with him at all this year and I think it would be a wasted pick that would set our team back for years (in terms of improving, if nothing else, which we're sick of being mediocre).

Quote:
Up until this year, Notre Dame has been kind of a joke....it hasn't been relevant for anything more than nostalgia in about 20 years.

I wasn't going off of the USC game....up against the freshman (who has a pretty outstanding arm, I look forward to seeing him develop)...it just wasn't a good place to judge.

from the limited amount of Notre Dame I've seen, he just always seems to be in on the play....

like I said tho, my assessment is pretty much meaningless on this guy.
Last game was the only game where I thought he looked even decent. Every other game, he's looked horrible in anticipation and in his abilities when he does go to try and make a play.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10419

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post

I thought that he was the bad-*** that we need at MIKE, but watching him play on the outside is amazing to watch if you like football and I just think that he's in more of a position to make plays on the outside.

If Taz is better at SAM or WILL and is more of a playmaker, which it seems like he is, what's the point in limiting his upside by moving him back to MIKE? He can blitz more on the outside, play more in pass coverage, and just have all the way to the sideline to make plays.
I just think he would take the leadership role and never look back.

Not doubt himself and worry about things.

That's why I'd like to see them give him a go at MLB.

If not Vontaze. Then they need to go get someone in the draft or FA. Someone that gets the D set and not second guess what he is suppose to be doing once the ball is snapped.

Rey is not the long-term solution for Mike.

Last edited by BengalsRocker; 11-26-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30139

Rey's play has improved a lot over the past few weeks, and barring a regression I think he is likely safe, provided he doesn't go after a break the bank contract.

I would not cut Moch without giving him a chance in training camp, but he needs to earn his position and stay healthy.**He would not stop me from drafting a LB though.

Hopefully by April the team will have a good feel for Howard.**If Howard is good to go, I would not look to draft a LB in the first 2 or 3 rounds unless someone they don't expect to be there is.**If he is not in good shape I would look at OLB in the first couple rounds, best available at Will or Sam, and move Burfict accordingly.

I would be comfortable with Howard - Maualuga - Burfict as our starters with Skuta, Lamur, and Rey as backups (and maybe Moch).

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24467
bengals Re: Is Backer Even A Need Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
I might be rolling to conclusions, but has Rey's play in the last few games eliminated the need for a linebacker? I was set on saying bye to Rey and drafting a MIKE and putting Burfict at SAM (Burfict's said that he likes playing in space on the outside) or Burfict at MIKE and drafting a SAM, but Rey's been impressive lately, so do we need to draft someone?

Draft a WILL and put Burfict at SAM?

Draft a SAM and keep Burfict at WILL?

Wait and make sure that Rey keeps improving?

Too little, too late, replace Rey?
Re-sign Howard (our best three down L

Move Burfict to SAM

That is if Rey returns.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post

Move Burfict to SAM

That is if Rey returns.

This. However I think we still draft a backer, you know, just in case. Competition is good.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3257

We have Burfict, even if we don't want Rey back we have a new starter in the middle. Also hopefully Moch will be full go. Depth in the later rounds wont hurt.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41979

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
We have Burfict, even if we don't want Rey back we have a new starter in the middle. Also hopefully Moch will be full go. Depth in the later rounds wont hurt.
Moch's future (if there is one) is as rush DE, not LB.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

If this were a prison camp I swear some of you would have Stockholm Syndrome. Rey is not good. Rey, after having picked up his game, is now playing below average. That is a significant step up from where he was. This is his contract year as well, usually a time when a player goes all out to put up big numbers. Instead Rey has gone from Jesus Christ he's ****ing terrible to merely holy **** he didn't over pursue the play.

He has to be replaced this year be it by Burfict or any one of the MLB projected in the first 3 rounds; Te'o, Ogletree, Mosely, Minter, Skov, or even Nico Johnson. All should be able to offer at least what Rey has shown.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23828

I think we should draft either the best LB or the best DE available in the first round.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:38 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24467
bengals Re: Is Backer Even A Need Now?

Ideally I do not see Rey being back. I believe they brought Burfict here for a reason and it was not to play WLB.

WLB- Re-sign Thomas Howard

MLB- Burfict

SLB- Chase Thomas ....Stanford

Also as soon as this season is over Guenther should start working with Taylor Mays and grooming him to be the #2 WLB. Mays is a thumper that can run. His coverage problems come when alone with a WR in open space. He has shown that covering backs and TEs is not a problem for him and at LB he would rarely be on someone in an open space situation.

I see him at WLB as a perfect fit. He certainly has the skills and size for it and he already plays S like a LB.

Last edited by OSUfan; 11-27-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Yes. Skuta and Vincent Rey are still around. They both were passed by two undrafted free agents this year after having been undrafted free agents themselves.

Burfict, Maualuga, Lawson, Lamur, T. Howard, Draft Pick, Moch

Moch will be lucky to make the team and who knows how the 30 year old Howard bounces back, so we we need to have a pretty strong back up plan in place.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 29

Anybody stop to think that ray bulked up based on Howard taking care of coverage?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-27-2012, 07:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19260

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsRocker View Post
I just think he would take the leadership role and never look back.

Not doubt himself and worry about things.

That's why I'd like to see them give him a go at MLB.

If not Vontaze. Then they need to go get someone in the draft or FA. Someone that gets the D set and not second guess what he is suppose to be doing once the ball is snapped.

Rey is not the long-term solution for Mike.
Before the last few games, I would have agreed, but he seems to be playing with a passion and the defense seems to be responding, which maybe it was the Captain's Patch, but, regardless, his play has improved to the point that, if it's for good, I think he's a solid MIKE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
Rey's play has improved a lot over the past few weeks, and barring a regression I think he is likely safe, provided he doesn't go after a break the bank contract.

I would not cut Moch without giving him a chance in training camp, but he needs to earn his position and stay healthy.**He would not stop me from drafting a LB though.

Hopefully by April the team will have a good feel for Howard.**If Howard is good to go, I would not look to draft a LB in the first 2 or 3 rounds unless someone they don't expect to be there is.**If he is not in good shape I would look at OLB in the first couple rounds, best available at Will or Sam, and move Burfict accordingly.

I would be comfortable with Howard - Maualuga - Burfict as our starters with Skuta, Lamur, and Rey as backups (and maybe Moch).
I agree.

Quote:

Move Burfict to SAM

That is if Rey returns.
I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
Burfict's been a bad-*** on the outside, so do we really want to take him from that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
If this were a prison camp I swear some of you would have Stockholm Syndrome. Rey is not good. Rey, after having picked up his game, is now playing below average. That is a significant step up from where he was. This is his contract year as well, usually a time when a player goes all out to put up big numbers. Instead Rey has gone from Jesus Christ he's ****ing terrible to merely holy **** he didn't over pursue the play.

He has to be replaced this year be it by Burfict or any one of the MLB projected in the first 3 rounds; Te'o, Ogletree, Mosely, Minter, Skov, or even Nico Johnson. All should be able to offer at least what Rey has shown.
Maybe Rey's just finally getting back into the groove of playing MIKE and finally found the balance between being overly-aggressive and being too timid, which there's a hell of a football player when those two meet.

How do we know none of those guys will flop in the NFL?

The transition to the NFL for a college linebacker might be too much and I just don't know if I want to waste a year on hoping that a guy can get it done.

Quote:
Ideally I do not see Rey being back. I believe they brought Burfict here for a reason and it was not to play WLB.
They brought Burfict in because he called Marvin and begged for a shot, which Marvin liked him anyways, and it's just paid dividends

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDROCKX View Post
Anybody stop to think that ray bulked up based on Howard taking care of coverage?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I think Rey bulked up so he could start being the hard *** we need in the middle.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

I voted too little, too late. He's never been a consistently good MLB, and even when he played on the outside he was average at best. Looking at the potential FAs, there's absolutely nothing there at LB, so we need to draft a replacement.

Moving Burfict to the middle and drafting a SAM is the most logical thing, since there aren't really too many 4-3 MLBs available in this year's draft. I would like to bring Rey back as a back-up though.