Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 280
Default Don't crucify me for this idea: Michael Dyer

Has anyone else seen Bryce Brown of the Eagles dominating the Carolina Panthers on Monday Night Football tonight? It's halftime and the dude has 129 yards rushing already including a 65-yard scamper!

(Probably not because Panthers vs. Eagles is an absolutely horrible matchup for a nationally televised Monday Night game. Oh hindsight you are perceived foresight's greatest *****.)

In any case Bryce Brown is tearing it up! Who is this guy?

Well if you're obsessed with high school football recruiting like me you'd be very familiar with the name. Brown was the number one running back recruit in the nation in 2009 and everyone wanted him! Depending on what recruiting service you favored, some even had him as the number one overall recruit ahead of Matt Barkley. He committed to Lane Kiffin and Tennessee. The only problem was Kiffin left for greener pastures and more familiar territory (all-be-it easier territory outside of the SEC) for the USC head job. Brown who played here and there and flashed some brilliance as a freshman at Tennessee transferred out.

Did he go to USC and reunite with that d-bag, I mean Kiffin? No. He instead joined his brother, linebacker, Arthur Brown at Kansas State. In Manhattan he figured he'd just be given the starting job and easily star in the no-defense Big 12, following in the Wildcats former big back - Daniel Thomas (now on the Miami Dolphins, if you're a fantasy football guy, you know him).

Bill Snyder, the coach at Kansas State, however, has never just given anything to a player in his life, you have to earn it. Snyder is a guy who has made a career out of developing JUCO castoffs, and two and three-star recruits into super-stars. I often said he wouldn't know what to do with a five-star, blue-chip recruit if he got one. And he didn't. The only thing he knew to do with Bryce Brown, was put him on the bench. Brown who wasn't working hard in practices or hitting the film-room or playbook particularly hard either (due to thinking the job would just be given to him) wasn't doing much to impress the old-school Snyder. His size and athleticism were equally comparable to Thomas' but he was not just given the job. He was 6' and well over 215 pounds, but was beat out for the starting running back gig at Kansas State by the much harder working, 5'7" 191 pound - Jon Hubert, a measly two-star recruit from Waco Texas. After sitting behind Hubert for a season, Brown quit the team the following year just 3 games in.

Well, Brown has Bill Snyder to thank for his NFL career (and stardom in tonights game). When Brown approached coach Snyder about participating in the Wildcats pro-day despite quitting the team, the first thing Snyder asked Brown was - "How are your academics?" After the two sat down and laid out a plan to get Brown's academics on track, Snyder agreed to let Brown participate in the Wildcat pro-day to work out in front of NFL scouts.

Scouts didn't forget the huge measurables and potential Brown had coming out of high-school in 2009. Despite a less than stellar college career in which he saw the most playing time as a freshman at Tennessee, and eventually quit football as a senior, since he was 6' 220 pounds with great strength, athleticism, and speed all character sins were forgiven and the Eagles rolled the dice actually spending a draft pick on Brown. He was selected in the seventh round at pick 229.

So what's my long-awaited point. Well Brown's impressive night on national TV got me thinking... man LeShaun McCoy better get healthy because this guy is looking like a breakout star! Then I continued thinking, are there any once heralded running back star recruits who have fallen from grace, but still have the perfect body and skill set to be a potential steal and NFL star? Then it hit me - Duh! - Michael Dyer.

Let's start by admitting to all the red-flag character concerns. I know the Bengals past in that department, but I also know that Vontaze Burfict is quickly becoming the heart and soul of the defense.

In just one stellar National Championship season (MVP of NC game to boot), Michael Dyer already had a better college career than Bryce Brown, and like Brown he is a former-five-star, blue-chip recruit who had an NFL body at age 18!

Dyer is eligible for the draft and if he's still around 5'9" 215 pounds with great speed, he's got the perfect frame to be a star in this league. I'm not suggesting taking a mid-round gamble on the guy but if he falls into the 6-7th round territory what is there to lose? Considering you might be getting the running back with the best NFL potential in the entire draft, I say go for it! For those who will argue he's nothing more than Maurice Clarett part two instead of Bryce Brown part two, Dyer is way more in shape than Clarett was when he attempted an NFL career. He worked out with Arkansas State before (cough, cough) being kicked off that team. Plus I'm not suggesting the Bengals draft Dyer in the 3rd round (where the Broncos took Clarett).

In any case... just a thought.

(P.S. at the time of this thread's conclusion Brown's had 14 rushes for 149 yards for a 10.6 yard average and 2 touchdowns! If Michael Dyer's capable of putting up numbers like that, I say roll the freakin dice!)
Old 11-27-2012, 01:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3061
Default Re: Don't crucify me for this idea: Michael Dyer

I'd like to start of by saying thank you for a in-depth post instead of a quick highlight film and weight/height and end the post.

On to the topic, Dyer is a good talent with his head turned on wrong I don't believe he would be worth the risk until maybe a 5th/6th round pick.
As far a Bryce Brown, tonight showed why the Panthers need DLine help because the run D is horrible.

"I've got two contracts in my life: One with my wife and the other to protect Andy Dalton." - Andrew Whitworth
Old 11-27-2012, 04:34 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19831
bengals Re: Don't crucify me for this idea: Michael Dyer

I would take him in the 6th.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 39840

Didn't Brown get benched for multiple fumbles last night?

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2423

Good assessment.

However, unless something has changed, Dyer has decided to return to college football in 2013, skipping the draft.

"Former Auburn RB Michael Dyer plans to go to class and sit out 2012 but return to CFB in 2013 and not enter NFL Draft, per family"

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footbal...uburn-football

This was posted back on August 15, 2012, so maybe he has or still will change his mind. Yet it looks like he will stay in another year to boost his stock.

I would still easily take him with a 6th though if he enters the draft.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo37 View Post
Has anyone else seen Bryce Brown of the Eagles dominating the Carolina Panthers on Monday Night Football tonight? It's halftime and the dude has 129 yards rushing already including a 65-yard scamper!

(Probably not because Panthers vs. Eagles is an absolutely horrible matchup for a nationally televised Monday Night game. Oh hindsight you are perceived foresight's greatest *****.)

Well if you're obsessed with high school football recruiting like me you'd be very familiar with the name. Brown was the number one running back recruit in the nation in 2009 and everyone wanted him! Depending on what recruiting service you favored, some even had him as the number one overall recruit ahead of Matt Barkley. He committed to Lane Kiffin and Tennessee. The only problem was Kiffin left for greener pastures and more familiar territory (all-be-it easier territory outside of the SEC) for the USC head job. Brown who played here and there and flashed some brilliance as a freshman at Tennessee transferred out.

Did he go to USC and reunite with that d-bag, I mean Kiffin? No. He instead joined his brother, linebacker, Arthur Brown at Kansas State. In Manhattan he figured he'd just be given the starting job and easily star in the no-defense Big 12, following in the Wildcats former big back - Daniel Thomas (now on the Miami Dolphins, if you're a fantasy football guy, you know him).

Bill Snyder, the coach at Kansas State, however, has never just given anything to a player in his life, you have to earn it. Snyder is a guy who has made a career out of developing JUCO castoffs, and two and three-star recruits into super-stars. I often said he wouldn't know what to do with a five-star, blue-chip recruit if he got one. And he didn't. The only thing he knew to do with Bryce Brown, was put him on the bench. Brown who wasn't working hard in practices or hitting the film-room or playbook particularly hard either (due to thinking the job would just be given to him) wasn't doing much to impress the old-school Snyder. His size and athleticism were equally comparable to Thomas' but he was not just given the job. He was 6' and well over 215 pounds, but was beat out for the starting running back gig at Kansas State by the much harder working, 5'7" 191 pound - Jon Hubert, a measly two-star recruit from Waco Texas. After sitting behind Hubert for a season, Brown quit the team the following year just 3 games in.

Well, Brown has Bill Snyder to thank for his NFL career (and stardom in tonights game). When Brown approached coach Snyder about participating in the Wildcats pro-day despite quitting the team, the first thing Snyder asked Brown was - "How are your academics?" After the two sat down and laid out a plan to get Brown's academics on track, Snyder agreed to let Brown participate in the Wildcat pro-day to work out in front of NFL scouts.

Scouts didn't forget the huge measurables and potential Brown had coming out of high-school in 2009. Despite a less than stellar college career in which he saw the most playing time as a freshman at Tennessee, and eventually quit football as a senior, since he was 6' 220 pounds with great strength, athleticism, and speed all character sins were forgiven and the Eagles rolled the dice actually spending a draft pick on Brown. He was selected in the seventh round at pick 229.

So what's my long-awaited point. Well Brown's impressive night on national TV got me thinking... man LeShaun McCoy better get healthy because this guy is looking like a breakout star! Then I continued thinking, are there any once heralded running back star recruits who have fallen from grace, but still have the perfect body and skill set to be a potential steal and NFL star? Then it hit me - Duh! - Michael Dyer.

Let's start by admitting to all the red-flag character concerns. I know the Bengals past in that department, but I also know that Vontaze Burfict is quickly becoming the heart and soul of the defense.

In just one stellar National Championship season (MVP of NC game to boot), Michael Dyer already had a better college career than Bryce Brown, and like Brown he is a former-five-star, blue-chip recruit who had an NFL body at age 18!

Dyer is eligible for the draft and if he's still around 5'9" 215 pounds with great speed, he's got the perfect frame to be a star in this league. I'm not suggesting taking a mid-round gamble on the guy but if he falls into the 6-7th round territory what is there to lose? Considering you might be getting the running back with the best NFL potential in the entire draft, I say go for it! For those who will argue he's nothing more than Maurice Clarett part two instead of Bryce Brown part two, Dyer is way more in shape than Clarett was when he attempted an NFL career. He worked out with Arkansas State before (cough, cough) being kicked off that team. Plus I'm not suggesting the Bengals draft Dyer in the 3rd round (where the Broncos took Clarett).

(P.S. at the time of this thread's conclusion Brown's had 14 rushes for 149 yards for a 10.6 yard average and 2 touchdowns! If Michael Dyer's capable of putting up numbers like that, I say roll the freakin dice!)
Outstanding post, you really should do it more often. I remember Dyer at Auburn and there was the debate over who will be the better RB, him or Lattimore. Unfortunately thier stocks have fallen for vastly different reasons. If we haven't addressed the need by the 6th round I'd be all for it (maybe earlier depending on how he looks at combines, ect...)

Another 5-star recruit RB that could be had on the cheap is Dillon Baxter. Like Brown he's a former Hall Trophy Winner that blew it in college.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1526

I must have missed this Brown guy dominating last night. #1, its the Panthers. #2, didn't he fumble 3 times?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo37 View Post

Stop it man.

And Dyer's size is intriguing.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-29-2012, 02:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24693
bengals Re: Don't crucify me for this idea: Michael Dyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I would take him in the 6th.

Same but i think we will be looking at a RB before than.

Heck, we might take 2 backs in this draft. Get a burner early and Dyer late.