Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:44 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41566
Default My new favorite SAM

Dude is a class act. When given the chance to bolt during the Sandusky scandal he stayed put a PSU (pointed to his faith as to why he stayed) and put up great numbers in the biggest games. 14 tackles against Nebraska and OSU (plus a sack). The kid is athletic they had him returning punts early in the season.

What did he do the final game of his College Career? Ditched his number and honored his injured team mate by wearing his:

CLASS ACT
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496
bengals Re: My new favorite SAM

I love Gerald Hodges as a legit 4-3 prospect.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 540
Default Re: My new favorite SAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Dude is a class act. When given the chance to bolt during the Sandusky scandal he stayed put a PSU (pointed to his faith as to why he stayed) and put up great numbers in the biggest games. 14 tackles against Nebraska and OSU (plus a sack). The kid is athletic they had him returning punts early in the season.

What did he do the final game of his College Career? Ditched his number and honored his injured team mate by wearing his:

CLASS ACT
I love the kid as a prospect! He is a prototypical SAM. I would take him as high as our second 2nd round pick.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10653

I love Hodge. He's one of my favorite prospects and would definitely be a solid pick. I'd like either him or Sean Porter in the 2nd round

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Where is he projected to go? 2nd? 3rd? I really like the idea of going after two OLB's that way we can work on developing our LB core. Move on from Howard, Lawson and Rey. We could still resign any of the three as back ups. Id love to grab Chase Thomas and Hodges or Porter or Greene.

As the season progresses, its looks more and more like defense is going to get a make over in the draft. The only offensive player that may be taken in the first 4 rounds will be a RB.

1st - Safety (Reid)
2nd - LB (Thomas)
2nd - RB (Randle, Bernard)
3rd - LB (Hodges, Greene, Porter)
4th - WR, G, T, C, CB, RB#2
Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Where is he projected to go? 2nd? 3rd? I really like the idea of going after two OLB's that way we can work on developing our LB core. Move on from Howard, Lawson and Rey. We could still resign any of the three as back ups. Id love to grab Chase Thomas and Hodges or Porter or Greene.

As the season progresses, its looks more and more like defense is going to get a make over in the draft. The only offensive player that may be taken in the first 4 rounds will be a RB.

1st - Safety (Reid)
2nd - LB (Thomas)
2nd - RB (Randle, Bernard)
3rd - LB (Hodges, Greene, Porter)
4th - WR, G, T, C, CB, RB#2
I would not be opposed to double dipping at LB early. Greene at 2b and Hodges at 3. It wouldn't be the 1st time; hell, in 1998 we drafted 3 LBs in the first 3 rounds.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I would not be opposed to double dipping at LB early. Greene at 2b and Hodges at 3. It wouldn't be the 1st time; hell, in 1998 we drafted 3 LBs in the first 3 rounds.
How did that work out for us? I'm not being sarcastic, I don't remember who they were.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-27-2012, 03:12 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars304 View Post
How did that work out for us? I'm not being sarcastic, I don't remember who they were.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Takeo Spikes
Brian Simmons
Steve Foley

Worked great for a while.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17152

I like Hodges real well and would be happy to draft him. We have an extra 2nd, so maybe it will happen.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3274

I see him as a more traditional SAM, as opposed to the rushing, edge-setting Boulware-type SAM that Marvin had hoped for when drafting Moch and Pollack.

I personally do not see a reason to stray from a traditional SAM, especially if we cannot find someone worthwhile.

I see Jarvis Jones and Chase Thomas being the style of SAM that Marvin has preferred, at least in the past. However, if we were to go a more traditional route, Hodges would be perfect. Getting him in the fourth would be a steal, and I'd be fine with him in the third. I think the second round has too many better prospects than Hodges though, but we will find out in a few years how all the prospects pan out.

I have been mocking Chase Thomas pretty hard with our 2A pick. Maybe I should also create a second mock with Hodges as our new traditional SAM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
I see him as a more traditional SAM, as opposed to the rushing, edge-setting Boulware-type SAM that Marvin had hoped for when drafting Moch and Pollack.

I personally do not see a reason to stray from a traditional SAM, especially if we cannot find someone worthwhile.

I see Jarvis Jones and Chase Thomas being the style of SAM that Marvin has preferred, at least in the past. However, if we were to go a more traditional route, Hodges would be perfect. Getting him in the fourth would be a steal, and I'd be fine with him in the third. I think the second round has too many better prospects than Hodges though, but we will find out in a few years how all the prospects pan out.

I have been mocking Chase Thomas pretty hard with our 2A pick. Maybe I should also create a second mock with Hodges as our new traditional SAM.
Do you think Hodges will last till the 4th round though? I love Chase Thomas and I would **** my pants if we could land both Thomas and Hodges. If Hodges falls to the 4th, I pray the Bengals would pull the trigger!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Do you think Hodges will last till the 4th round though? I love Chase Thomas and I would **** my pants if we could land both Thomas and Hodges. If Hodges falls to the 4th, I pray the Bengals would pull the trigger!
CBS has him ranked as 3-4 range, so it's possible. Although, the more we keep winning, the more we will probably have to take Hodges in the third.

If we take Thomas, I really don't see a reason to take Hodges. But if he's sitting in the fourth still and above and beyond the best player available, then yea take him.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4098

I really don't like him as a prospect, but at least your the first person to post a real 4-3 SAM and not all of these 3-4 OLB.