Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711
Default Re: Most important players to resign this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline Tweeting 101 View Post
Then please explain the sacks he gets when neither is on the field... Why do people continue to down play MJ? He is athletically more gifted than Dunlap, he is also not made of glass like Dunlap. If you ask me I would rather make sure to keep Johnson than Dunlap based off of production and durability. Carlos had 1 good season and hasnt been on the field consistently since. Why are people hating Johnson?
Agree. MJ has put it together this year.

In previous years he got around the QB and didn't bring him down. This year it has clicked.

I think he is going to be tough to re-sign though. Some team will throw a lot of cash at him. I'm talking possibly $7-8 million a year.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Agree. MJ has put it together this year.

In previous years he got around the QB and didn't bring him down. This year it has clicked.

I think he is going to be tough to re-sign though. Some team will throw a lot of cash at him. I'm talking possibly $7-8 million a year.
I think you are probably right, although I hope they figure out a way to keep him. The extra weight he put on this off-season really seems to be paying off. I liked him coming out of college and was ecstatic when we were able to get him.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714

Quote:
Then please explain the sacks he gets when neither is on the field... Why do people continue to down play MJ? He is athletically more gifted than Dunlap, he is also not made of glass like Dunlap. If you ask me I would rather make sure to keep Johnson than Dunlap based off of production and durability. Carlos had 1 good season and hasnt been on the field consistently since. Why are people hating Johnson?

I totally agree here. Even if someone wants to bring the argument that it's because of the others' play on the Dline (which by the way is actually the way things are supposed to happen); the guy has almost the same production as Geno. So, someone thinks that 8 sacks off of 35 tackles (12 assisted) isn't good enough? Please.
In contrast, Dunlap has 2 sacks from 22 (3 assisted), Geathers has 3 off 23 (13 assisted), and Gilberry 3 off 14 (5 assisted). Somewhere in all those stats Johnson doesn't jump out at you as a player? Interesting.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1526

Quote:
Not hating on him. I like him a lot. However a lot of sacks I see from him are either coverage sacks or because the qb is running from geno geathers or dunlap. I would like to keep him but if he wants a lot of money let him walk
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I think you are probably right, although I hope they figure out a way to keep him. The extra weight he put on this off-season really seems to be paying off. I liked him coming out of college and was ecstatic when we were able to get him.
True. We've never really experienced being a young team that wins in the NFL...which leads to other teams trying to sign your own free agents away and overvaluing them.

The extra weight may explain his production the best. He'd always get near the QB but not quite finish the sack. Now he does.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9133

Quote:
I'm with you. Of the players whose contracts actually expire after this season MJ and Andre Smith should be priorities. You don't let solid young players from the trenches get away. I'd also like to see us re-sign Adam Jones. He does seem to struggle with injuries a lot, but when healthy he is a good starting CB in my opinion and an above average punt returner.

As for other guys mentioned in the thread, Atkins and Gresham are still under contract next year ... focusing on extending them would be taking our eye off the ball a little bit. Those extensions can come later after we make sure we keep MJ and Dre.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Most important players to resign this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Burfict is middle to low down the list.

Not a priority at all.
that's in your opinion, others think differently.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
I'm with you. Of the players whose contracts actually expire after this season MJ and Andre Smith should be priorities. You don't let solid young players from the trenches get away. I'd also like to see us re-sign Adam Jones. He does seem to struggle with injuries a lot, but when healthy he is a good starting CB in my opinion and an above average punt returner.

As for other guys mentioned in the thread, Atkins and Gresham are still under contract next year ... focusing on extending them would be taking our eye off the ball a little bit. Those extensions can come later after we make sure we keep MJ and Dre.
I say re sign MJ only if he doesn't want elite starting DE money. He is not elite...He is not the focus of the O-line week in and week out.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24334

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfan2008 View Post
I say re sign MJ only if he doesn't want elite starting DE money. He is not elite...He is not the focus of the O-line week in and week out.
Glad you are not making that decision.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Nonsense. You extend Atkins ASAP!!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfan2008 View Post
We all know Geno HAS to be resigned, otherwise I will lose all faith in the FO. But other than Geno, who deserves to be resigned before the season is up or at least right away after the season?

Geno is #1
Gresham #2
Burfict #3 (he's playing on a UDFA salary and I believe he has outplayed that by a lot...I know he's only a rookie)
Adam Jones #4 (he has been playing solid football)

So far this season, Geno has been the best player at his position for sure. Gresham is a good solid TE, if we let him go we will either have to sign a big name TE in FA, or draft another TE within the first two rounds. I say just resign him and keep things gelling with Andy and his weapons.

People will be confused about resigning Burfict, but he showed he had faith and heart when he contacted Marvin. I think we need to show him the same and resign him to keep him here for a long time.

Other than that, who do YOU believe we need to resign?

Pay Geno whatever he wants do NOT let him walk.

Re-sign Burfict, he's going to be a key piece to the puzzle with our LB's.

Re-Sign Jones

I would let Michael Johnson walk if he wants to much money & then draft Bjoern Werner.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
1. Atkins
2. Smith
3. Gresham
4. MJ
5. Burfict

Although, I think Atkins, Gresham, and Burfict are most likely to stay. Smith might want but time money, along with MJ.
Sorry but Burfict should not be in the discussion I believe he is under contract until 2015.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 143

How long is Jermaine Gresham under contract?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9133

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Nonsense. You extend Atkins ASAP!!!!!
Only if you're the league's worst general manager (so, come to think of it, very likely this is what our team is thinking).

Of course I want Atkins extended, just don't see how it makes sense to make it a priority when we have important contributors on the team hitting the FA market next year. Atkins is under contract for 2013, and there's always the option of franchise tag beyond that (using the tag on a player who's actually elite ... what a concept!) This is how the great teams consistently contend ... by enjoying the services of elite players for 500K a season while they can. James Harrison, for example, made less than half what Geathers got paid the year he was defensive MVP and helped Pitt to a Superbowl win in 2008.

You work on getting our key soon-to-be free agents back in the fold before looking at Atkins' deal. That's the only sensible way to proceed.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:46 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 370

id like to resign MJ but i think if he puts up double digit sacks he might want a big deal...and he will get it too DEs come at a premium and teams overpay for players in FA not sure if we are gonna want to have 80 mil on that dline with 2 players...geno and andre is the most important resignings
Old 11-27-2012, 02:48 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 671

Quote:
Only if you're the league's worst general manager (so, come to think of it, very likely this is what our team is thinking).

Of course I want Atkins extended, just don't see how it makes sense to make it a priority when we have important contributors on the team hitting the FA market next year. Atkins is under contract for 2013, and there's always the option of franchise tag beyond that (using the tag on a player who's actually elite ... what a concept!) This is how the great teams consistently contend ... by enjoying the services of elite players for 500K a season while they can. James Harrison, for example, made less than half what Geathers got paid the year he was defensive MVP and helped Pitt to a Superbowl win in 2008.

You work on getting our key soon-to-be free agents back in the fold before looking at Atkins' deal. That's the only sensible way to proceed.
Atkins increases his value just about every game the way he is playing. While I do agree that guys not under contract should be more pressing than those who are not, I do offer Atkins a contract now and see if I can get him to sign for a little less than market value. A lot can happen between now and the end of 2013, and it only takes one play to ruin a career. But, assuming the number he could get on the FA market, as the GM I am willing to take that risk of extending him now and I hope he doesn't want to risk it. Now, should he want Mario Williams type money, then I agree that there is no reason to extend him now unless you can manipulate the cap to somehow help you out down the road.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Burfict is middle to low down the list.

Not a priority at all.
That's ridiculous
Old 11-27-2012, 02:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
Geno and Andre are the only two musts. The rest are luxuries if at right price.
MJ
Old 11-27-2012, 03:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

There is not bigger priority on this team. He is arguably the best player on this team. He is a FA after next season. You wrap him up now.

Your GM comment is not even worth discussion.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
That's ridiculous
Burfict has 2 years left on his contract. He'll make $480k next year and $570k the year after.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleJuice View Post
Why would you ever let a player like A.Smith walk>?

It's not like there is a OT tree that you can just casually pick another player from.
A.Smith hands down is the best T from his draft class.
Just sign the man.
Ive already stated previously he doesnt want too stay here. Only way he stays next year is if we franchise him. I beleive michael johnson does want too stay here. So does 58.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
There is not bigger priority on this team. He is arguably the best player on this team. He is a FA after next season. You wrap him up now.

Your GM comment is not even worth discussion.
Agreed...because once he hits free agency, some team will throw a mega deal at him and we'll either have to overpay by a lot or lose him.

The franchise tag for a DT is around $8 million next year. When Atkins is a free agent it will be around the same most likely as the cap isn't projected to go up much.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Ive already stated previously he doesnt want too stay here. Only way he stays next year is if we franchise him. I beleive michael johnson does want too stay here. So does 58.
What makes you think Smith doesn't want to stay?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
What makes you think Smith doesn't want to stay?
He said so during hard knocks when we had that nasty holdout where we lowballed him. I beleive we have already tried to mend fences and offer him an extension. He isnt budging just like justin smith before him. Thats the price when Mike Brown perpetually lowballed first round draft picks. due to the new cba thankfully this isnt as much of an issue anymore.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
He said so during hard knocks when we had that nasty holdout where we lowballed him. I beleive we have already tried to mend fences and offer him an extension. He isnt budging just like justin smith before him. Thats the price when Mike Brown perpetually lowballed first round draft picks. due to the new cba thankfully this isnt as much of an issue anymore.
Well not picking up his option was a bad move too in hindsight.

It was tough with Smith. He was lazy in college and at the combine so I understand the Bengals not wanting to give him a big contract. But, then why draft him?

Orakpo would have been a nice pick.

Crabtree was a possibility too, but he hasn't really developed into an elite WR.

The other Tackles that year mostly washed out.