Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5224
Default Draft analysis vs 4

Here are the newest aggregated draft projections.

We are currently set to pick 19th. Here are the players that should be gone by the time we pick and their average slot of selection. Bjoern Werner saw a huge spike in his projected position, topping out at #2 overall in a few of the drafts. Likewise Sheldon Richardson and Ezekiel Ansah also saw huge jump in their projected standings Richardson now is a mid first rounder and Ansah is creeping into the bottom of the first in several mocks.

Geno Smith, 1
Star Lotulelei, 4.8
Luke Joeckel, 4.8
Jarvis Jones, 6.2
Manti Te'o, 6.4
Damontre Moore, 7.2
Barkevious Mingo, 8.6
Bjoern Werner, 10
Taylor Lewan, 10.4
Dee Milliner, 10.6
Johnathan Hankins, 12
Matt Barkley, 14.2
Chance Warmack, 14.6
Keenan Allen, 16
Sam Montgomery, 16.2
Jake Matthews, 19.8
Sheldon Richardson, 21.4
Eric Reid, 23.2

The rest of the first round

John Jenkins, 23.4
Johnthan Banks, 23.4
C.J. Mosley, 23.4
Dion Jordan, 24.2
Barrett Jones, 24.8
Tyler Eifert, 25
Eric Fisher, 25.2
Justin Hunter, 26.2
Tyler Wilson, 26.8
Robert Woods, 27
Alex Okafor, 27.6
Jesse Williams, 27.8
Xavier Rhodes, 28
Kenny Vaccarro, 29.4

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock
http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php
http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/...tml#more-21335
http://www.nyjetsdraft.com/2012/11/2...ember-edition/
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1025
Default Re: Draft analysis vs 4

Sam Montgomery blows my mind. At the end of last year and the beginning of this year, his name was at the top of the list and reported in the top 5 to go in the draft! What the hell happened? Its not like he is having a bad year. He had a one or two ghost games where he didnt show up, but for some reason, every week, he is slipping down the board!

I would easily grab him or Okafor in the first round! No questions asked!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

I don't get it either. He is out performing Mingo by a mile and is as consistent as can be. I know Miles called him out not to long ago saying that he needed more from him, which didnt help his stock. Honestly I dont care. I have watched all his games this year and the kid plays hard every down. I would love to grab him in 1.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Last edited by Burma; 11-28-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Sam Montgomery blows my mind. At the end of last year and the beginning of this year, his name was at the top of the list and reported in the top 5 to go in the draft! What the hell happened? Its not like he is having a bad year. He had a one or two ghost games where he didnt show up, but for some reason, every week, he is slipping down the board!

I would easily grab him or Okafor in the first round! No questions asked!

I don't think Montgomery is all that good.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4321

Picking at 19, I would walk up to the podium and hand the card over to the Commish with Barrett Jones' name on it and walk away smiling, thinking I just had my cake and ice cream too.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Robert Woods is my dark horse pick for our first pick in the 2nd round. In a few of the drafts I referenced he was not selected in the 1st at all.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4548

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalHawk62 View Post
Picking at 19, I would walk up to the podium and hand the card over to the Commish with Barrett Jones' name on it and walk away smiling, thinking I just had my cake and ice cream too.

Me too... Jones would be a huge boost for us.... I think Okafor will slip to the 2nd round and be available for our 1st pick there...
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6793

Quote:

It's a nice thought, but it will never happen.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
It's a nice thought, but it will never happen.
Though I agree with you.... can't rule out the possibility no matter how slim it is.... also this is the time to speculate so nice thoughts are allowed...
Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
Though I agree with you.... can't rule out the possibility no matter how slim it is.... also this is the time to speculate so nice thoughts are allowed...
It just doesn't make any sense for the team to draft him in the first round. All he would do is sit on the bench.

Who would you sit to play him?

Whitworth?
Boling?
Cook?
Zeitler?
Andre?

Most people would say Cook, but I don't see the team sitting him down since they signed him to an extension. Boling would be the only real candidate, but it wouldn't make sense to sit him since he's played very well.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
It just doesn't make any sense for the team to draft him in the first round. All he would do is sit on the bench.

Who would you sit to play him?

Whitworth?
Boling?
Cook?
Zeitler?
Andre?

Most people would say Cook, but I don't see the team sitting him down since they signed him to an extension. Boling would be the only real candidate, but it wouldn't make sense to sit him since he's played very well.
Well as I would use him as a OC... Cook would be the odd man out (or have Jones sit and learn for the year since OC is such an important position).... however Jones also has versatility and could be a great insurance policy if A. Smith decides to leave for more money.... Not to mention just great insurance in the event that an injury occurs...
Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 82

I like the thought of having Jones as a complete line back up but you don't spend a first round pick on someone like that and I think we have more pressing issues than upgrading a servicable OC
Old 11-28-2012, 07:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30701

Banks or Mosley please.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 76

I think Wilson and/or Murray will jump in the top 20 picks just because team need QB's but if Sam Montgomery is there I'd take him. Otherwise, trade back and take BPA.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26192

I dont see Jones as a C in the NFL. He has actually struggled there this year for Bama against the better DT's he faced. He isn't overpoweringly strong or anything. He obviously passes the check up from the neck up, but I wonder if he can be a first round pick without the physical attributes to go along with it.
Look at the C taken early, the Pounceys, Mack and Mangold. All of them are/were incredibly tough physical strong lineman. Jones is a more technically sound, win with skill type.

He is still the best C in this draft no doubt. But I would think his best position would be LG in the NFL.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyyDee View Post
I think Wilson and/or Murray will jump in the top 20 picks just because team need QB's but if Sam Montgomery is there I'd take him. Otherwise, trade back and take BPA.
That jets website has Wilson #2 overall to the Jags. I agree also. 2 teams will be getting a steal at QB.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

When all is said and done, I think Tyler Wilson will be the first QB taken this year.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4321

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
When all is said and done, I think Tyler Wilson will be the first QB taken this year.
Is Tajh Boyd a senior this year? If not, is he going to come out? I honestly think he may be the best QB in this class, but I have not heard his name mentioned once for the upcoming draft. Makes me wonder if he's just a junior and has already said he's coming back for one more year.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
I dont see Jones as a C in the NFL. He has actually struggled there this year for Bama against the better DT's he faced. He isn't overpoweringly strong or anything. He obviously passes the check up from the neck up, but I wonder if he can be a first round pick without the physical attributes to go along with it.
Look at the C taken early, the Pounceys, Mack and Mangold. All of them are/were incredibly tough physical strong lineman. Jones is a more technically sound, win with skill type.

He is still the best C in this draft no doubt. But I would think his best position would be LG in the NFL.
You are the only person that seems to think that he struggled and isn't strong enough.... while the reports that I have read has said that she has either held his our to flat out dominated the competition ahead of him.... That doesn't strike me as struggling against the better DT's he faced, just look that he Mississippi game, Cherrington (a massive DT) was a challenge, but Jones had a good game overall, just not dominant....Against Tennessee's massive DT Daniel McCullers he was dominant and has had success against Sheldon Richardson. Also playing for Alabama you know he has had some tough competition come his way.

Now I can admit that I am not a coach and I don't know everything there is to know about football, but Jones looks to be the real deal as an Olineman. I like him at OC but as an overall insurance policy I would still go with him... Injuries, FA and the like have a way of hurting or even crippling a team.... If you want to maintain this level of success that the Bengals are enjoying you have to be prepared on one of the most important areas on the team....

JSYK.... not calling you out or anything, I appreciate seeing a different perspective and yours is the first that has actually challenged mine. So rep...
Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 487

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyyDee View Post
I doubt Murray comes out. He hasn't played great against top Defenses this system and he will have the opportunity to go top 10 next year provided he has a good season. He is next years Matt Barkley
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 487

Quote:
Is Tajh Boyd a senior this year? If not, is he going to come out? I honestly think he may be the best QB in this class, but I have not heard his name mentioned once for the upcoming draft. Makes me wonder if he's just a junior and has already said he's coming back for one more year.

Boyd is a senior
Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Boyd far too often plays to his competition and is largely a product of his weapons.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
You are the only person that seems to think that he struggled and isn't strong enough.... while the reports that I have read has said that she has either held his our to flat out dominated the competition ahead of him.... That doesn't strike me as struggling against the better DT's he faced, just look that he Mississippi game, Cherrington (a massive DT) was a challenge, but Jones had a good game overall, just not dominant....Against Tennessee's massive DT Daniel McCullers he was dominant and has had success against Sheldon Richardson. Also playing for Alabama you know he has had some tough competition come his way.

Now I can admit that I am not a coach and I don't know everything there is to know about football, but Jones looks to be the real deal as an Olineman. I like him at OC but as an overall insurance policy I would still go with him... Injuries, FA and the like have a way of hurting or even crippling a team.... If you want to maintain this level of success that the Bengals are enjoying you have to be prepared on one of the most important areas on the team....

JSYK.... not calling you out or anything, I appreciate seeing a different perspective and yours is the first that has actually challenged mine. So rep...
I think the phrase dominant is overused.
Those "dominant" games, I just didn't see as dominant. He has good games every game because he is surrounded by elite talent and is incredibly smart. No denying that.
But he isn't winning battles one on one with the guys I would want him to think he could handle the leagues best NT in the NFL.

I would absolutely take him for value in the 2nd. But I do not see him as the type of guy I would take in the first. If you take an OL in the first round, it is my opinion that he should start day one. If he wont start day one for you, he isn't worth the first round pick to your team.

I think his best value in the NFL will be at LG. Jones does a lot of things good. But in order for me to say he would be a good pick as early as 19 or whatever, he would have to be the physical type like a Nick Mangold or an Alex Mack.

Without that physicality, I don't think he would be as much of an upgrade as we think at C. First round, no. Second round, yes.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKUATO View Post
I like the thought of having Jones as a complete line back up but you don't spend a first round pick on someone like that and I think we have more pressing issues than upgrading a servicable OC
What needs do you see? We seem to be set at DT and DEs, we have a decent core of WRs and I feel we are OK at LBer, though Teo and J. Jones would be an upgrade, I don't think we have a shot at getting them.

Everyone says you take the BPA and don't reach for needs... Jones fills that req.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
What needs do you see? We seem to be set at DT and DEs, we have a decent core of WRs and I feel we are OK at LBer, though Teo and J. Jones would be an upgrade, I don't think we have a shot at getting them.

Everyone says you take the BPA and don't reach for needs... Jones fills that req.
We are far from set at DE.
3 of our DE's are set to be free agents.
That leaves 2 under roster for 2013. Carlos Dunlap and Jamaal Anderson.
Now, there is no reason at all to bring Anderson back.
So that leaves 1. Dunlap.

Johnson
Geathers
Gilberry

People have been calling for Geathers dismissal for YEARS now. Will he be brought back? And will he take the pay cut he should get after the last 6 painful years of 3 sacks a year?

Gilberry could use his moderate success to latch on somewhere with a potential for more snaps.

And the biggest question of them all is Michael Johnson.
Is he really putting it together? Is it a contract year surge? Is it the bi-product of Geno's monster year? I mean he is on pace for over 10 sacks. But it hasn't been very impressive to be honest. You could franchise him, but is one year of 10 sacks worth 11 million dollars to a team that needs to extend the best DT in the NFL and re-sign one of the best RT in the NFL?