Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24917
Default Andrew Whitworth is the Freaking MAN!!

More comments from him in a front page article. I think they speak for themselves, but the dude's earned my respect in a major way this week.

Quote:
» Sporting a bruise under his left eye, Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth said the Raiders involved in escalating Sunday's fight are "cowards," and he wasn't talking about his opponent in the fracas. Whitworth said it wasn't defensive end Lamarr Houston, but others that clawed his face in the pile and threw punches.

"I thought it was pretty cowardly. Those guys know who they are," said Whitworth, who didn't name them. "It doesn’t shock me. It's a team that's had the season they've had and they're frustrated and a lot of their guys haven't done a whole lot. They’re talked about for being big and talented but they don't do anything.

"It would be nice if they got to see you face-to-face, but those guys like to play that way, so that's fine."

Whitworth doesn't consider himself a two-time offender of the fighting rule because he says his confrontation with Jaguars tackle John Henderson on Nov. 2, 2008 was self-defense. So he doesn't expect a suspension. But he knows a fine is coming and he doesn't expect it to get picked up by quarterback Andy Dalton, the man Whitworth felt he was protecting following Houston's hit on Dalton on a play blown dead.

"I'm not asking anybody to pick up for my mistakes. My mistakes are my own. I'll own up to them. I'm man enough to do that," he said. "It's not something I need to condone. But I felt I was doing the thing I needed to do."

Whitworth, the Bengals representative to the NFL Players Association, says he doesn't know who the third men in were ("I haven't watched the film. If I watch it, I'll go find those people, so I really don't want to know.") but he says the NFL has to respond to those situations.

"If the NFL is going to continue to take the stance that you can't enter a fight area or you get fined, then they've got to hand down severe punishments for guys that take those cheap shots and take punches and eye gouge and do all this stuff at the bottom of piles," Whitworth said. "Because if not, then you're saying that if a teammate gets jumped by five guys and gets the snot beat out of them and gets severely hurt to where they can't play the next week, you're threatening guys to fine them who are trying to help him. They say you even are fined for peacemaking. So they don't want anybody to enter a fight area, which doesn't make any sense. I mean, if you can’t protect your own guy, then the guys that are taking cheap shots need to either be suspended, fined heavily or something done for taking those kind of cheap shots."

Last edited by Shady; 11-28-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19900
Default Re: Andrew Whitworth is the Freaking MAN!!

Hell to the yeah............... he's being a leader, by both protecting himself, his teammates, and calling the league out, which is something that needs to be done so we're not always the whipping boys of the NFL.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1354

Agreed, hes The Sheriff!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

This may be off topic but what Whit did Sunday poses an interesting question

Whitworth is being respected across the league by fans and players for what he did to stand up for Dalton on a late hit

my question is this is the first I can recall a lineman doing this for a quarterback on this team, but when something like this happened with Palmer (obviously the playoffs vs the Steelers) where was the Defense of Palmer? was Palmer not respected enough to merit that kind of support? (yes he was injured on the ground but there wasnt any response to it?) or were the linemen just unpassionate?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post

Whitworth is being respected across the league by fans and players for what he did to stand up for Dalton on a late hit

my question is this is the first I can recall a lineman doing this for a quarterback on this team, but when something like this happened with Palmer (obviously the playoffs vs the Steelers) where was the Defense of Palmer? was Palmer not respected enough to merit that kind of support? (yes he was injured on the ground but there wasnt any response to it?) or were the linemen just unpassionate?
Great question. I don't think Carson did as much to earn the loyalty of his teammates as Andy has. IMHO, Carson came across as arrogant, even though I think I remember him buying stuff for his linemen.That's all well and good, but you can't buy people's loyalty. Not real loyalty.

Andy comes across to me as being humble but hungry. Whit's as down-to-earth as it gets, and I think he probably genuinely likes Andy. Even in our losses, Andy shows that capacity not to get too low, and he doesn't get too high when we win. And he hasn't thrown anyone under the bus. His leadership is one of believing that we're all in this together.

I think Andy's passion is contagious though, and not just his, but AJ's as well. I think they are both very strong quiet leaders who do it by example. Everyone seems to be following their lead, too.

Last edited by Shady; 11-28-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1924

prompted me to create my 1st sig. WHO DEY
Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Great question. I don't think Carson did as much to earn the loyalty of his teammates as Andy has. IMHO, Carson came across as arrogant, even though I think I remember him buying stuff for his linemen.That's all well and good, but you can't buy people's loyalty. Not real loyalty.

Andy comes across to me as being humble but hungry. Whit's as down-to-earth as it gets, and I think he probably genuinely likes Andy. Even in our losses, Andy shows that capacity not to get to low, and he doesn't get too high when we win. And he hasn't thrown anyone under the bus. His leadership is one of believing that we're all in this together.

I think Andy's passion is contagious though, and not just his, but AJ's as well. I think they are both very strong quiet leaders who do it by example. Everyone seems to be following their lead, too.
Well, I'll say that the game had just begun and everyone was celebrating a huge strike to Henry. Then the reality of Carson getting hurt sets in and I think they were a little shocked and in disbelief. Not saying your necessarily wrong, just reflecting another possibility.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2170

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
Well, I'll say that the game had just begun and everyone was celebrating a huge strike to Henry. Then the reality of Carson getting hurt sets in and I think they were a little shocked and in disbelief. Not saying your necessarily wrong, just reflecting another possibility.
All this plus, the hit Carson took was called "legit". Not a shot after the whistle. Personally I never have considerted it a legitimate hit.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
All this plus, the hit Carson took was called "legit". Not a shot after the whistle. Personally I never have considerted it a legitimate hit.
Nor have I, but strange how that hit could have marked the beginning of our eventually getting Dalton last year.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 43921

Quote:

this is the first I can recall a lineman doing this for a quarterback on this team,
Andre got is Suh's facewhen he slammed Andy, but Suh walked away.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26192

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Because you can't cheap shot someone when they are staring you down.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49813

Whit's the man, no doubt about it. If more guys played with his type of guts, determination, and principles, we'd be going to championships every season.

On another note, I wonder what will happen to Carlos Dunlap, as he came off the bench to the fight scene.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27274
bengals Re: Andrew Whitworth is the Freaking MAN!!

Quote:
More comments from him in a front page article. I think they speak for themselves, but the dude's earned my respect in a major way this week.

Quote:

Andy comes across to me as being humble but hungry. Whit's as down-to-earth as it gets, and I think he probably genuinely likes Andy. Even in our losses, Andy shows that capacity not to get to low, and he doesn't get too high when we win. And he hasn't thrown anyone under the bus. His leadership is one of believing that we're all in this together.

This is a great thread Shady, makes me feel good.

Great job Whit, love the passion and the fact this team fights for eachother and not just literally.

I believe Whit is completely right as well. The cheapshot cowards are the ones who need to be punished most.

Suh only got a 30,000 dollar fine BTW for that cheapshot to Schaub's nutz.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 39659

I literally just got done watching the Game Rewind. 99 was on the bottom of the pile with Whit with his hands in his facemask tearing and clawing. It looked pretty malicious. Before it went to the ground, 90 threw at least two punches to the kidney area of Whit. I'd be surprised if they weren't suspended.

Also, to add to what's been said here over and over, Steve Tasker needs ****canned. He's unbearable.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
of course but that was also in the preseason, they seem to do everything half ***ed in preaseason including respond like that
Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Read some of the Comments at the bottom of this article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...aiders-cowards

Raiders fans are...Wait, not gonna lower myself to that level. Just read them, you'll see.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1105

Man if only all the players had the attitude Whitworth does we'd have multiple Super Bowl's by now.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Raiders fans are...Wait, not gonna lower myself to that level. Just read them, you'll see.

I feel bad for Raider fans.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

I didn't see Dunlap go in there the first time and tear Kelly out of there.

Props to the dude getting Dunlap off the field fast.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't addressing that situation specifically in any of my remarks. I agree with you on this totally.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

For those who want to see it the brawl again

Quote:
"A late whistle before the snap." Geez, the Raiders brought their own announcers. The next play was a 20+ yard completion to AJ Green for a first down. LOLOLOLOLOLOL Cowards clawing at Whitworth's eyes and punching him in the kidneys in the pile, after slinging our QB to the ground long after the whistle had blown. Raiders are always classy, right? Have fun with Palmer, and thanks for the draft picks. LOLOLOLOL
Shady4Bengals 1 second ago
Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 235

Quote:
Because the Carson hit was legal at the time and wasn't after the whistle. I'm sure if it would have been after, Rich or Willie would have ****ed someone up.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2632

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I literally just got done watching the Game Rewind. 99 was on the bottom of the pile with Whit with his hands in his facemask tearing and clawing. It looked pretty malicious. Before it went to the ground, 90 threw at least two punches to the kidney area of Whit. I'd be surprised if they weren't suspended.

Also, to add to what's been said here over and over, Steve Tasker needs ****canned. He's unbearable.
I agree, I saw punches by 90 and 77. It looks like 90 and 99 where the ones with hands near whitworth's facemask when he was on the ground.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1810

Quote:

Not a Whitworth fan at all. But something happened in a Jacksonville game a few years ago where he got his but kicked again... was it over something similar? I can't really remember.

Carson got in the face of the Brown's player who cheap shot Shipley and knocked him out a couple of years ago. Palmer was the only one to stand up for Shipley in that instance.

This is only the 2nd instance I can recall where a Bengal has stood up for another Bengal. I always wanted someone to cheap shot Ward for the hit on Rivers but it never happened.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Droppings View Post
Not a Whitworth fan at all. But something happened in a Jacksonville game a few years ago where he got his but kicked again... was it over something similar? I can't really remember.

Carson got in the face of the Brown's player who cheap shot Shipley and knocked him out a couple of years ago. Palmer was the only one to stand up for Shipley in that instance.

This is only the 2nd instance I can recall where a Bengal has stood up for another Bengal. I always wanted someone to cheap shot Ward for the hit on Rivers but it never happened.
Shove it. You're not a fan (you're a hater, actually), and you say "got his *** kicked."

Um, you try and deal with 4 guys who are 300 pounds, and you see if you come out of it with ONLY a black eye.

Furthermore, he fought against Jax because his eye was getting gouged, and he STILL came out on top.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE