Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4118
Default Re: Sanu over Hawkins ?

Whats nice about Sanu producing is it opens the field for EVERYONE including AJ Green. The problem during the losing streak was that they were doubling AJ, Gresham, and pressing Hawkins off the line of scrimmage. Now the Bengals have another WR that makes defenses take notice. It has also opened the middle of the field for the RB's who have had a safety cheating into run defense.

Last edited by Synric; 11-27-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1526

Sanu is clutch, Hawkins is explosive. Both of them should be on the field at the same time. Disguise formations every once in a while by splitting Hawkins out wide and have Sanu go into the slot. Should be fun to see what they come up with.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10419

Sanu in the slot. Jones in the #2. Hawkins mix in when you want to throw to Gresh. I have to believe Hawk would cause some guys to cheat up a little bit seeing as they think he may catch closer to LOS or run with it. That would give Gresh some cushion to get open. I think Sanu can play #2 WR. I'd just like to see what Jones can do stretching the field.

BTW kudos for Gruden on pulling some run plays with AJ. It's kind of frightening from an injury aspect but damn it's exciting.

On a side note. Wasn't it great to see BJGE get a ball thrown to him in the middle of the field for a gain.

I'd sure like to see a lot more of that!

Last edited by BengalsRocker; 11-27-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

When Hawkins returns a 4 WR set should be Green and Jones to the outside, and Hawkins and Sanu in the slots.

The will spread any D, three ways to Sunday. Green and Jones both can go sideline to sideline and deep, while Hawkins and Sanu both can go sideline to sideline.

You can't cover the whole field, there will be openings in any scheme, and that is a 4 wide that can exploit any D.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6688

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfan2008 View Post
Sanu is clutch, Hawkins is explosive. Both of them should be on the field at the same time. Disguise formations every once in a while by splitting Hawkins out wide and have Sanu go into the slot. Should be fun to see what they come up with.
I like the way you think.....you need a job as an OC?

Throw his way and feel the FULL NELSON SUCKAS!!

INTENSITY!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
The only thing i don't like about Hawkins is his production. He's good for about 2 or 3 catches a game, if that.
I'm with you. He's good for the occasional catch. He looks exciting yes...but give a a physical productive guy in the slot like Sanu any day.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:19 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
Whats nice about Sanu producing is it opens the field for EVERYONE including AJ Green. The problem during the losing streak was that they were doubling AJ, Gresham, and pressing Hawkins off the line of scrimmage. Now the Bengals have another WR that makes defenses take notice. It has also opened the middle of the field for the RB's who have had a safety cheating into run defense.
Like a constipated old man a big #2 can really take the pressure off the rest of the parts.....
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28434

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
I prefer Baby Hawk in the slot.

That's what she said!

In all seriousness I think Andrew Hawkins is Cincinnati's version of Wes Welker with some Ray Rice-like abilities in the open field. I think he would be better than Brandon Tate when it comes to returning punts and kickoffs, too.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 886

Wow the weapons on this team are rivaling the Saints of a year ago. I would give Sanu more snaps because of his versatility and consistency. It would be difficult on the defense to adjust from one to the other considering how different Sanu and Hawkins skill sets are.

The left hand is too quick and you never saw the right hand coming.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 53226

Sanu opposite AJ in 2 WR sets then moving to the slot on 3 WR set (with Marvin Jones outside).

I like Hawk, but Sanu has the same skill set as Houshmandzadeh.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10682

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
Sanu's best production is in the slot, however. This isn't to say he can't play on the outside, but as a starter, being in the slot is the best option. Hawk is purely a slot and gadget player. So if you have to maximize his production, he can only be in that sort of position. We have more flexibility with Sanu, so he can really split snaps. Jones and Green can also put in slot snaps, so those receivers can really go anywhere. Really, Hawk is the least flexible player we have in terms of WR ability only. Really, as long as Marvin and Hawk are off press, they can do work. If I were the team, my 4 WR set would be
Jones - Hawk - Sanu - Green
3 WR
Jones - Hawk - Green
Sanu - Hawk - Green
Marvin - Sanu - Green
2 WR
Marvin - Green
Sanu - Green
There wouldn't probably be more formation flexibility than that, other than the occasional Green in the slot move, but those can all maximize production while confusing or muddling coverages a bit more
I agree, Sanu is better in the slot. But for the team aspect, he would better help out with being #2 right now. Because that would help Hawkins get into the slot, and he is definitely an explosive player. The Bengals lack a #2 WR. Binns didn't do well, nor did Tate. The Bengals have had better production with Sanu. Now, that's not to say Marvin Jones isn't good, because he was a very good NFL prospect when coming from the draft. But right now, I think what would fit the team best right now is have Green, Sanu, and Hawkins.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Sanu over Hawkins ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademark View Post
Whenever Hawkins returns from injury, would you still prefer having Sanu over Hawkins and just have Hawkins come in for a change of pace type player ?
My vote is Sanu.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35467

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
My vote is Sanu.
Sanu....

He can play every Down

Hawkins we cannot use him much except in gaget plays.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35467

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
I agree, Sanu is better in the slot. But for the team aspect, he would better help out with being #2 right now. Because that would help Hawkins get into the slot, and he is definitely an explosive player. The Bengals lack a #2 WR. Binns didn't do well, nor did Tate. The Bengals have had better production with Sanu. Now, that's not to say Marvin Jones isn't good, because he was a very good NFL prospect when coming from the draft. But right now, I think what would fit the team best right now is have Green, Sanu, and Hawkins.
If you Slide Sanu Outside then the 2 TEs need to be roaming the middle of the field no hawkins.

Watching dalton try and find hawkins over the middle was a miserable sunday.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13710

Quote:
Whenever Hawkins returns from injury, would you still prefer having Sanu over Hawkins and just have Hawkins come in for a change of pace type player ?
Sanu should remain the starting slot with Hawkins coming in for COP. Marvin Jones needs more snaps at wide out. Tate, Binns and Whalen need less.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
The only thing i don't like about Hawkins is his production. He's good for about 2 or 3 catches a game, if that.
But he's a threat to take it home if he gets a bit of an opening. Teams definitely have to account for him. That helps the whole offense.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20894

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
When Hawkins returns a 4 WR set should be Green and Jones to the outside, and Hawkins and Sanu in the slots.

The will spread any D, three ways to Sunday. Green and Jones both can go sideline to sideline and deep, while Hawkins and Sanu both can go sideline to sideline.

You can't cover the whole field, there will be openings in any scheme, and that is a 4 wide that can exploit any D.
Is it just me or does it seem like teams are trying more and more to go deep out of the slot? If you have Jones or AJ in the slot with the field spread, it keeps at least one S in the middle of the field. Seems like the Saints do this relentlessly.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17923

Forget numbers and positions. The greatest benefit for an offense is versatility. Having guys that know multiple positions gives you more options and a greater chance at mismatches.

Getting Green in the slot occasionally or in motion, spreading Baby Hawk or Gresham out wide-- unpredictability is the key.

And the most important thing is a QB that makes the right read and throws the ball to the correct spot. Doesn't matter who you put out there, if the QB can't exploit the mismatches, it's moot.

As far as the OPs question, i like them both and they'll each continue to get their fair share of snaps.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26850

Quote:

Big Hawk supporter but yeah. I think Sanu should play Slot with Marvin Jones and Hawk
playing the outside with their speed. Hawk should be used as a gadget player, more Sanu
please.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24467

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Sanu....

He can play every Down

Hawkins we cannot use him much except in gaget plays.
Wrong. Hawkins does not only get on the field in gadget plays. In the slot he creates huge mismatches because of his speed and quickness.

The nice thing is we do not have to choose because they all are on this team and Gruden will utilize them all. Nice that we are in position to have the discussion.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3962

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulk34 View Post
Forget numbers and positions. The greatest benefit for an offense is versatility. Having guys that know multiple positions gives you more options and a greater chance at mismatches.

Getting Green in the slot occasionally or in motion, spreading Baby Hawk or Gresham out wide-- unpredictability is the key.

And the most important thing is a QB that makes the right read and throws the ball to the correct spot. Doesn't matter who you put out there, if the QB can't exploit the mismatches, it's moot.

As far as the OPs question, i like them both and they'll each continue to get their fair share of snaps.
This nails it. The mismatches and unpredictability is the key for a high powered offense and the Bengals are just scratching the surface of what they can all do together. The defense is going to dictate a lot of what receivers are going to be getting the most targets, although I believe you have to have at least two deep shots per game.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3250

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Wrong. Hawkins does not only get on the field in gadget plays. In the slot he creates huge mismatches because of his speed and quickness.

The nice thing is we do not have to choose because they all are on this team and Gruden will utilize them all. Nice that we are in position to have the discussion.
Thank...you. Hawk misses a few games and we're back to pigeon holing him as "the gadget guy". Get the guy the ball in space and he'll make defenses pay. Gadget play or no gadget play. He adds an extra dimension to this offense that no one else does. To pigeon hole that ability into a single role is just dumb.

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5535

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like teams are trying more and more to go deep out of the slot? If you have Jones or AJ in the slot with the field spread, it keeps at least one S in the middle of the field. Seems like the Saints do this relentlessly.
Colston makes his living going deep out of the slot.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30146

Quote:
Over?

How about "and"?

Sanu outside and Hawk in the slot. Hawkins has speed and quickness like NO ONE ELSE on the team.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Banned

Rep Points: -4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-HENRY View Post
Like a constipated old man a big #2 can really take the pressure off the rest of the parts.....
what the heck