Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2984
Default It isn't sexy, but....

It will help the Bengals win games: The running game.

Over the past three weeks, the Bengals have run the ball 98 times for 487 yards. So, this averages out to over 4.8 yards/carry. It may not be as sexy as a deep ball to AJ (which they still need to take their shots) but this helps to keep your defense off the field.

We are starting to see more of Ced Peerman and he is beginning to show that burst that the Bengals were hoping would come from BScott.

I understand the Raiders and Cheifs aren't the toughest run defenses in the NFL, but I see the recent success as more of a function of taking what a defense gives you. Every time the Raiders were lined up with two deep safeties, they had no chance of stopping the run with their front seven.

Early in the season, the Bengals couldn't take advantage of teams with their run game. With the development of Robinson, and the progression of Boling and Zeitler, the running game can now provide that last piece of balance that was missing from the offense.

SD has one of the better run defenses in the league. This should prove an excellent challenge. Although, with Atari Bigby just lost for the season for SD, I sure hope the Bengals also take their shots deep.

Young, Deep, Talented, and Driven. 12-4, AFC North Champs
This year, they make a run...
Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5062
Default Re: It isn't sexy, but....

Did Peerman sit out on Wednesday with a neck injury? Hopefully it is just a temporary thing cuz yeah, I agree. Good run game + good defense is the classic way to win a playoff game (or get to a playoff game).
Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7447

Bigby gone, possibly no Weddle, and Jammer will be covering AJ for sure. Chargers are going to have to pick their poison. Load the box against the run or play deep.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2423

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Bigby gone, possibly no Weddle, and Jammer will be covering AJ for sure. Chargers are going to have to pick their poison. Load the box against the run or play deep.
If this is the case....AJ will have a field day.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8186

Unless they zone towards AJ.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.

"I don't care if it's a passing league or not. Since the beginning of time when playoffs started championship teams are built on running the ball and stopping the run. Thats the recipe since football started. We have to be a better team in those situations. Attacking them where we know we can beat them at."
--- Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis
Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRacerX View Post

Over the past three weeks, the Bengals have run the ball 98 times for 487 yards. So, this averages out to over 4.8 yards/carry. It may not be as sexy as a deep ball to AJ (which they still need to take their shots) but this helps to keep your defense off the field.

We are starting to see more of Ced Peerman and he is beginning to show that burst that the Bengals were hoping would come from BScott.

I understand the Raiders and Cheifs aren't the toughest run defenses in the NFL, but I see the recent success as more of a function of taking what a defense gives you. Every time the Raiders were lined up with two deep safeties, they had no chance of stopping the run with their front seven.

Early in the season, the Bengals couldn't take advantage of teams with their run game. With the development of Robinson, and the progression of Boling and Zeitler, the running game can now provide that last piece of balance that was missing from the offense.

SD has one of the better run defenses in the league. This should prove an excellent challenge. Although, with Atari Bigby just lost for the season for SD, I sure hope the Bengals also take their shots deep.
Agree.
This offense has to be balanced, not just this game, but remainder of the season. It is too early in Andy's career to expect him to carry this team.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8571

I heard on the radio that Dalton's rating was over 100 in all but 1 of our wins and in that game it was over 90...
Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24693
bengals Re: It isn't sexy, but....

Quote:

The truth. As i have been saying for quite awhile now i want to see more of Peerman. You
give Peerman those two holes that Green Ellis had last game and those are 2 TD's. Zeit,
Boling and Robinson have been impressive for being so young that is for sure and it has
been nice seeing them come together as a unit.

It is true that Diego is a good run stopping team but i still think we can run on them enough
to open up the play action and shots down the field.

I really like seeing Sanu in the backfield from time to time as well.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Not a huge fan of BJGE. I like Peerman but i still think we should draft a explosive back in rounds 1 or 2...I like Andre Ellington.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
Not a huge fan of BJGE. I like Peerman but i still think we should draft a explosive back in rounds 1 or 2...I like Andre Ellington.

I also like Jonathan Franklin out of UCLA if he is coming out.

Tavon Austin would be awesome. I just don't know much about the draft this early.

Don't know who is coming out or anything.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

Rep Points: -4

Quote:
we already have BOOM Herron what else do u need
Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16540

Quote:

I don't think you're seeing what we're doing.

We're playing a true West Coast-style offense, which is throwing the the ball to set up the run by stretching the defense and taking them out of the box, which is opening up the run lanes for our backs, which is where they excell- running in space.

I also love how we're using Peerman as a change of pace because it's giving defenses something new to face with a different style of running.

We just need to keep doing what we're doing and let the pass open up the run, or vice-versa if the situation calls for it.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7038

But...but...i like sexy.

#OfficialTaterHaterClub #President
Old 11-29-2012, 02:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 17854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Unless they zone towards AJ.
In which case Sanu (Housh 2.0) will pick apart the giant holes in the zone on the other side of the field.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treee View Post
In which case Housh 2.0 will pick apart the giant holes in the zone on the other side of the field.

Mo 1.0
Old 11-29-2012, 02:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 17854

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

Mo 1.0
I was refrencing their very similar ability to find the soft parts of the zone and punish teams for overcompensating for our #1 WR. I'll agree he seems a lot more athletic, but I can't help see flashes of Chad and Housh with Sanu and Green. The biggest difference is the talent level!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treee View Post
I was refrencing their very similar ability to find the soft parts of the zone and punish teams for overcompensating for our #1 WR. I'll agree he seems a lot more athletic, but I can't help see flashes of Chad and Housh with Sanu and Green. The biggest difference is the talent level!

Yeah, i see the similarities as well. Sanu actually reminds me of a mixture of Housh and Anquan Boldin.

Green reminds me of a faster Randy Moss. Kind of hard to find someone he really reminds me of. He is just AJ Green.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 50497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Morgan View Post
I'd say a good RB.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 46779

Actually I think running the ball IS sexy.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
This is probably how a lot of folks on here feel. But maybe we formed our opinions of Benny with poor oline play. Over the last few games, he is averaging over 4.5 yards/carry and has had no issues holding on to the ball, either. You may say: "well, any RB could run through those holes" and maybe there is some truth to that. His biggest strength, IMHO, is getting two yards when you need two yards. He almost always gets short yardage needed.

I would like to see more and more Peerman and maybe even Leonard in SD to keep them all fresh and give some opportunities to all the guys.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Actually I think running the ball IS sexy.
I think winning is VERY sexy.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19817

Just hope the Bengals don't pooch the chemistry of the o-line and force Cook back in there over Robinson. Cook won't step back in with anything near the chemistry Robinson has developed between Boling and Zeitler.

I am all for there being a knock down, drag out brawl for the center positionin the off season. But right now, there is too much at stake with no room for error. Stick with the hot hand at center and keep riding the resulting offense.

Still believe the Bengals inside running is among the worst in the NFL. Not certain they will turn that around until they get a different type of back. I hope this shine by peerman doesn't mean the Bengals will sit with what they have during the draft. RB still needs addressed in the off season.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Just hope the Bengals don't pooch the chemistry of the o-line and force Cook back in there over Robinson. Cook won't step back in with anything near the chemistry Robinson has developed between Boling and Zeitler.

I am all for there being a knock down, drag out brawl for the center positionin the off season. But right now, there is too much at stake with no room for error. Stick with the hot hand at center and keep riding the resulting offense.

Still believe the Bengals inside running is among the worst in the NFL. Not certain they will turn that around until they get a different type of back. I hope this shine by peerman doesn't mean the Bengals will sit with what they have during the draft. RB still needs addressed in the off season.

Completely agree with everything you said here BR.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Morgan View Post

Did he ever get a snap? I can't remember.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34446

I knew there was absolutely no way that this thread was about me.