Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Smack Talk

Smack Talk Talk trash with fans from opposing teams. Have fun guys and gals, but keep it clean.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 AM
gmdino's Avatar
gmdino gmdino is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 9,458
Rep Points: 12361
Default Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

The Steelers were oringinally called the Pirates, following an NFL tradition of assuming the name of the city's MLB team. It was changed later to reflect the area's steel making prowess in the world and remains closely tied with Pittsburgh to this day.

The Bengals were named by their owner as acknowledgement to a former AFL team with the same name in the city. Coincidentally this also allowed the team to take the same color scheme as his former team as perhaps a dig to their releasing him.

The Browns ran a contest to name the team when they were founded. "Panthers" was the winner, but before their first game the owner changed it to the Browns based on another contest. "Browns" was short for "Brown Bombers"...NOT for their head coach...but as a reference to Joe Louis.

The Ravens also ran a contest to name the franchise that was once the Brown and had ran out of the city that had supported them for 50 years. The winner was the name of a poem about lusting for your second cousin, written by a man who died of dysentary after being found drunk and passed out in a gutter.

__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodley View Post
...promoting sexism is actually a beautiful thing
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 AM
duke0476's Avatar
duke0476 duke0476 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,807
Rep Points: 13990
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

The Steelers were also the card-pitts and Steagles for a few miserable seasons
__________________
"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Lygraf's Avatar
Lygraf Lygraf is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 740
Rep Points: 770
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke0476 View Post
the Steagles
now thats a name
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM
6andcounting's Avatar
6andcounting 6andcounting is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,337
Rep Points: 2381
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdino View Post

The Ravens also ran a contest to name the franchise that was once the Brown and had ran out of the city that had supported them for 50 years. The winner was the name of a poem about lusting for your second cousin, written by a man who died of dysentary after being found drunk and passed out in a gutter.

But his writings are so fearful and scary that 7th graders read them in school as a class assignment. And anything that is purple makes people uneasy and strikes fear in their bellies.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2908179...Types&var=sbar
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by SociopathicSteelerFan View Post
This ginger loser has handed out his punishments based on public opinion it's only right that public opinion be responsible for his demise.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM
duke0476's Avatar
duke0476 duke0476 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,807
Rep Points: 13990
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
But his writings are so fearful and scary that 7th graders read them in school as a class assignment. And anything that is purple makes people uneasy and strikes fear in their bellies.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2908179...Types&var=sbar
__________________
"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM
gmdino's Avatar
gmdino gmdino is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 9,458
Rep Points: 12361
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke0476 View Post
The Steelers were also the card-pitts and Steagles for a few miserable seasons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygraf View Post
now thats a name
Yeah I did leave off the two "combined" teams when our brave men were off fighting wars.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodley View Post
...promoting sexism is actually a beautiful thing
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Lygraf's Avatar
Lygraf Lygraf is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 740
Rep Points: 770
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
And anything that is purple makes people uneasy and strikes fear in their bellies.




__________________

Last edited by Lygraf; 11-30-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LV-426
Posts: 35,954
Rep Points: 36244
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygraf View Post




i want!!!!!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Bmoreblitz's Avatar
Bmoreblitz Bmoreblitz is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 4th and goal at the1
Posts: 4,921
Rep Points: 13585
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygraf View Post




Nice!
__________________
DEPT of DEFENSE


BMOREBLITZ
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Lygraf's Avatar
Lygraf Lygraf is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 740
Rep Points: 770
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

weed: bringing the smack forum together
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 PM
BmorePat87's Avatar
BmorePat87 BmorePat87 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Birdland
Posts: 10,557
Rep Points: 14475
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdino View Post
The Steelers were oringinally called the Pirates, following an NFL tradition of assuming the name of the city's MLB team. It was changed later to reflect the area's steel making prowess in the world and remains closely tied with Pittsburgh to this day.

The Bengals were named by their owner as acknowledgement to a former AFL team with the same name in the city. Coincidentally this also allowed the team to take the same color scheme as his former team as perhaps a dig to their releasing him.

The Browns ran a contest to name the team when they were founded. "Panthers" was the winner, but before their first game the owner changed it to the Browns based on another contest. "Browns" was short for "Brown Bombers"...NOT for their head coach...but as a reference to Joe Louis.

The Ravens also ran a contest to name the franchise that was once the Brown and had ran out of the city that had supported them for 50 years. The winner was the name of a poem about lusting for your second cousin, written by a man who died of dysentary after being found drunk and passed out in a gutter.

Great American literature. Also, he is mourning the loss of her , not lusting after her.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Anyways, Adderral's not even a drug
-----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
I still don't think we are evolved from primates. I don't think we are even remotely related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
We aren't evolved from primates, we are primates.
--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I can guarentee you there is not a dude on the earth that is as passionate about his male lover as I am my relgion.



Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 PM
6andcounting's Avatar
6andcounting 6andcounting is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,337
Rep Points: 2381
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygraf View Post
weed: bringing the smack forum together
Let's not forget my post led you to post that picture in the first place.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by SociopathicSteelerFan View Post
This ginger loser has handed out his punishments based on public opinion it's only right that public opinion be responsible for his demise.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 PM
theCincinnatiKid23's Avatar
theCincinnatiKid23 theCincinnatiKid23 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 591
Rep Points: 390
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensLover69 View Post
Great American literature. Also, he is mourning the loss of her , not lusting after her.
no, its pretty well documented they had "relations." I'm not saying he wasnt mourning her death, but it definitely isn't in the same sense you and I mourn the death of a cousin...well atleast I don't. Can't speak for you...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM
SteelCitySouth's Avatar
SteelCitySouth SteelCitySouth is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Posts: 18,766
Rep Points: 29534
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensLover69 View Post
Great American literature. Also, he is mourning the loss of her , not lusting after her.
You are both wrong...

In Baltimore in 1835, he married Virginia Clemm, his 13-year-old cousin. In January 1845 Poe published his poem, "The Raven", to instant success. His wife died of tuberculosis two years after its publication.

However, Instead of having to write lusty limericks about his cousin...he just married her...
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 PM
6andcounting's Avatar
6andcounting 6andcounting is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,337
Rep Points: 2381
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
no, its pretty well documented they had "relations." I'm not saying he wasnt mourning her death, but it definitely isn't in the same sense you and I mourn the death of a cousin...well atleast I don't. Can't speak for you...
He was mourning the loss of his wife, who just so happen to be his 13 year old cousin.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by SociopathicSteelerFan View Post
This ginger loser has handed out his punishments based on public opinion it's only right that public opinion be responsible for his demise.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:30 PM
gmdino's Avatar
gmdino gmdino is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 9,458
Rep Points: 12361
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
You are both wrong...

In Baltimore in 1835, he married Virginia Clemm, his 13-year-old cousin. In January 1845 Poe published his poem, "The Raven", to instant success. His wife died of tuberculosis two years after its publication.

However, Instead of having to write lusty limericks about his cousin...he just married her...
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodley View Post
...promoting sexism is actually a beautiful thing
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM
theCincinnatiKid23's Avatar
theCincinnatiKid23 theCincinnatiKid23 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 591
Rep Points: 390
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
He was mourning the loss of his wife, who just so happen to be his 13 year old cousin.
I dunno about you, but where I come from thats a pretty big "just so happens." you make it sound like its a common occurence or like its not a big deal. Don't get me wrong, he's one of the greatest American Authors ever, but personally he was a train wreck.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM
BmorePat87's Avatar
BmorePat87 BmorePat87 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Birdland
Posts: 10,557
Rep Points: 14475
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
no, its pretty well documented they had "relations." I'm not saying he wasnt mourning her death, but it definitely isn't in the same sense you and I mourn the death of a cousin...well atleast I don't. Can't speak for you...
No ****, he married his cousin and she died young. I was saying the narratoris mourning and not "lusting". GD, you guys are thick.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Anyways, Adderral's not even a drug
-----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
I still don't think we are evolved from primates. I don't think we are even remotely related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
We aren't evolved from primates, we are primates.
--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I can guarentee you there is not a dude on the earth that is as passionate about his male lover as I am my relgion.



Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-30-2012, 01:41 PM
gmdino's Avatar
gmdino gmdino is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 9,458
Rep Points: 12361
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensLover69 View Post
No ****, he married his cousin and she died young. I was saying the narratoris mourning and not "lusting". GD, you guys are thick.
It was written before she died...he's not mourning.

__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodley View Post
...promoting sexism is actually a beautiful thing
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM
BmorePat87's Avatar
BmorePat87 BmorePat87 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Birdland
Posts: 10,557
Rep Points: 14475
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I dunno about you, but where I come from thats a pretty big "just so happens." you make it sound like its a common occurence or like its not a big deal. Don't get me wrong, he's one of the greatest American Authors ever, but personally he was a train wreck.
For the mid 1800s, marrying a second cousin wasnt a big deal. Even in the 1900s (FDR & Einstein)

But like most great writers, he was a mess.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Anyways, Adderral's not even a drug
-----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
I still don't think we are evolved from primates. I don't think we are even remotely related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
We aren't evolved from primates, we are primates.
--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I can guarentee you there is not a dude on the earth that is as passionate about his male lover as I am my relgion.



Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 PM
BmorePat87's Avatar
BmorePat87 BmorePat87 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Birdland
Posts: 10,557
Rep Points: 14475
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdino View Post
It was written before she died...he's not mourning.

Reading is FUNdamental...

The NARRATOR is mourning and not lusting. Have you even read it? What am I saying, you couldn't even read my post correctly.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Anyways, Adderral's not even a drug
-----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
I still don't think we are evolved from primates. I don't think we are even remotely related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
We aren't evolved from primates, we are primates.
--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I can guarentee you there is not a dude on the earth that is as passionate about his male lover as I am my relgion.



Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM
SteelCitySouth's Avatar
SteelCitySouth SteelCitySouth is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Posts: 18,766
Rep Points: 29534
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensLover69 View Post
For the mid 1800s, marrying a second cousin wasnt a big deal. Even in the 1900s (FDR & Einstein)

But like most great writers, he was a mess.
You get close to the truth a lot but never quite nail it.

Virginia Eliza Clemm Poe (née Clemm; August 15, 1822 – January 30, 1847) was the wife of American writer Edgar Allan Poe. The couple were first cousins and married when Virginia Clemm was 13 and Poe was 27.

Makes me question what else you get close to but never get to nail.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM
6andcounting's Avatar
6andcounting 6andcounting is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,337
Rep Points: 2381
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I dunno about you, but where I come from thats a pretty big "just so happens." you make it sound like its a common occurence or like its not a big deal. Don't get me wrong, he's one of the greatest American Authors ever, but personally he was a train wreck.
You described it as "relations" with a relative. I was just clearing up that he was married to her and viewed her as a wife. Even though she was his 13 year old cousin.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by SociopathicSteelerFan View Post
This ginger loser has handed out his punishments based on public opinion it's only right that public opinion be responsible for his demise.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM
gmdino's Avatar
gmdino gmdino is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 9,458
Rep Points: 12361
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post

Makes me question what else you get close to but never get to nail.


__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodley View Post
...promoting sexism is actually a beautiful thing
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM
SteelCitySouth's Avatar
SteelCitySouth SteelCitySouth is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Posts: 18,766
Rep Points: 29534
Default Re: Even MORE AFCN Fun Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdino View Post


That's good, but I was thinking more along the lines of:

__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.