Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 21,105
Rep Points: 21405
bengals Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRanged1 View Post
I honestly think marvin jones is going to outshine sanu. I love what sanu brings but believe he will be more of a slot. Marvins going to give us a deep ball highlight this week. Mark my words, marvin will be the talk after this game, I love our recieving core.
Two different receivers that bring different traits to the field.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 AM
yellowxdiscipline's Avatar
yellowxdiscipline yellowxdiscipline is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cincy
Posts: 8,244
Rep Points: 8451
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

To succeed playing opposite AJ Green, all you need to do is play smart. If guys like Binns and Tate were really talented they should be excelling when they get the chance to line up with Green, but they arent which says alot about them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 AM
momadance02's Avatar
momadance02 momadance02 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 7,810
Rep Points: 8278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars304 View Post
I really have a good feeling jones is gonna have a good game. The only thing I can compare it to is before the giants game I just had this feeling we were gonna come out with a win.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Well in that case...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-01-2012, 05:27 AM
BengalsRocker's Avatar
BengalsRocker BengalsRocker is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,982
Rep Points: 8727
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
To succeed playing opposite AJ Green, all you need to do is play smart. If guys like Binns and Tate were really talented they should be excelling when they get the chance to line up with Green, but they arent which says alot about them.
Yeah and that is the only reason why Sanu was getting compared to TJ. He started capitalizing on the opportunities and made the most of them. Not taking anything from WhosYoMama but he excelled because opposing Ds were so afraid of Chad in his prime.

Whoever is opposite of Green should be having big games. Throw in the demand that Gresham is bringing(something TJ never had)should only make it easier for the #2 receiver.

That is why Tate and Binns are way way way underachieving. It's kind of a joke if you ask me. Keep these guys off the field and let's see what Jones can do.
__________________
"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 21,105
Rep Points: 21405
bengals Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
To succeed playing opposite AJ Green, all you need to do is play smart. If guys like Binns and Tate were really talented they should be excelling when they get the chance to line up with Green, but they arent which says alot about them.
Well it would be great to have 6 Pro Bowl receivers on a team but just does not happen in the NFL. It is up to Gruden and Urban to use each guy to his strengths. I believe we have enough talent at the position for them to do this and be very successful.

I agree with the others that have brought up seeing more of Orson Charles. This guy just quietly produces when he is used. Maybe with Mo injured we need to see more creativity of moving Charles and Gresham out to traditional WR spots to create mismatches.

At any rate I feel we still have more than enough talent to continue this run. It is not ideal to lose Mo but it is what it is. Next man up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 AM
gardner30's Avatar
gardner30 gardner30 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,901
Rep Points: 4231
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

I'm rooting for him.

I hope he lights it up tomorrow.

He beat press and got open deep against the Raiders and Andy just under threw him a bit.

Him beating the press was the only thing that was holding him back (other than injury) IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 AM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 1,909
Rep Points: 2439
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Just hope they play him and Tate doesn't start. I think he is ready to step up but he is going to need more then 9 snaps.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 AM
fortyyearfan fortyyearfan is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,980
Rep Points: 1680
bengals Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Well it would be great to have 6 Pro Bowl receivers on a team but just does not happen in the NFL. It is up to Gruden and Urban to use each guy to his strengths. I believe we have enough talent at the position for them to do this and be very successful.

I agree with the others that have brought up seeing more of Orson Charles. This guy just quietly produces when he is used. Maybe with Mo injured we need to see more creativity of moving Charles and Gresham out to traditional WR spots to create mismatches.

At any rate I feel we still have more than enough talent to continue this run. It is not ideal to lose Mo but it is what it is. Next man up.
Marvin Jones is a super talent. heres the issue going into this game.Andy Dalton and Marvin have not had enough practice time together and one of them or both will be off target this sunday. just an opinion.it takes alot of practice to be on the same page. Marvin is super fast and will probably beat his guy a few times. last week Dalton underthrew him,, otherwise it would have been a big play. ANDY seems to either overthrow his guy or misses him entirely. i know its a fine line,,he will get better.lets all hope and pray they connect this sunday.it would be so cool to see him hold his own on his side. then A.J. will have more catches.its going to be fun to watch this one.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:36 AM
fortyyearfan fortyyearfan is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,980
Rep Points: 1680
bengals Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
The morale broke not just when Sanu went out but when the word went out that the "next in line" is the horrific Brandon Tate. It shows the coaches have zero understanding of what Sanu brought to the table-a big, but reliable hands receiver unafraid to work the middle.
i agree marvin jones can and should be a big time player this week. the team is counting on him. its his turn to shine, and i like alot of you, are still wondering what this coaching staff is thinking and seeing at times, when most of us fans see the who and whys of this offense and it takes the staff weeks to catch up with what the fans have been saying all year. gruden even said it was his bad about not playing sanu eariler and what can you say about peerman, the dude is great and all of us have been preaching that for weeks. dan hoard calls him the RUNNING REVERENE. I LOVE IT.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:39 AM
fortyyearfan fortyyearfan is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,980
Rep Points: 1680
bengals Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post
I'm rooting for him.

I hope he lights it up tomorrow.

He beat press and got open deep against the Raiders and Andy just under threw him a bit.

Him beating the press was the only thing that was holding him back (other than injury) IMO.
THIS coaching staff need to allow marvin jones to start and play the whole game. give the guy time to get into sink with dalton. do not bring him in just for a few plays. that does not work. do not start tate. that will be bad.play marvin jones the whole game. give him a blow with armon binns. trust me on this. if marvin jones plays the whole game,WE WIN.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 9,783
Rep Points: 20867
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Binns was doing well before his injury. Don't forget that. Maybe he can come back strong.

Tate's made some great catches in his few targets.

Hawkins was the toast of our town in the first 3 weeks, caught a TD against the Giants and should have had two. Since then, he's been out. He's no slouch.

Plus, we are waiting to see what Andy can do with Marvin Jones.

And AJ didn't have 111 yards last week because the Raiders were distracted by Sanu. He had 111 yards because he's AJ Freaking Green!

So long as the OLine continues to block well, and Andy continues seeing the field as well as has been, we're going to be fine on offense.

The defense ought to shut down the Chargers as well as they shut down the Raiders. I don't see the Chargers as being any better on offense than the Raiders. Given their problems on the OLine, they could be worse.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 9,783
Rep Points: 20867
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
The morale broke not just when Sanu went out but when the word went out that the "next in line" is the horrific Brandon Tate. It shows the coaches have zero understanding of what Sanu brought to the table-a big, but reliable hands receiver unafraid to work the middle.
Whose morale broke? How can you say this? He went out in practice.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-01-2012, 12:13 PM
tenacious-B's Avatar
tenacious-B tenacious-B is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In a glass case of emotion
Posts: 1,868
Rep Points: 3276
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

I like Marvin Jones, and I'm rooting for him, but it's going to be tough to replace Sanu, who in his short season proved he had what it takes to play on Sunday. Sanu was coming along nicely and now we have to take a step back and hope Marvin can do the same thing.

I know Marv is much faster but does he have the toughness and smarts required to make Sanu's absence not felt? I'm one who thinks it's been no cooincidence that our offense has been playing better than ever the past 3 weeks while Sanu has been getting the majority of starts at the WR2 spot. But this is what team sports are all about, next man up, so hopefully the combination of Jones stretching the field and Hawkins playing underneath proves to be even more lethal than what Sanu was offering up.

It's just such a bummer that we couldn't see all 3 in full force for our playoff push.
__________________
gold jacket? green jacket? who gives a ****?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM
kevin kevin is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Carlisle, Ohio
Posts: 5,964
Rep Points: 7077
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Yes, Sanu leaves big shoes to fill because Sanu has been scoring...." all he does is score touchdowns" - the old Buddy Ryan line .

We need Jones in this game with Chargers....and Hawkins is practicing and we could really use him back as well, if not now, then the Dallas game.

and more use of Charles who is a TE/ WR type.

Losing Sanu takes the Sanu pass play out of the playbook also and opposing teams don't have to defend against it.
__________________
Bengalfan1968

Last edited by kevin; 12-01-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-01-2012, 02:09 PM
caddie's Avatar
caddie caddie is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hell, Virginia.
Posts: 2,424
Rep Points: 1581
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsRocker View Post
Yeah and that is the only reason why Sanu was getting compared to TJ. He started capitalizing on the opportunities and made the most of them. Not taking anything from WhosYoMama but he excelled because opposing Ds were so afraid of Chad in his prime.

Whoever is opposite of Green should be having big games. Throw in the demand that Gresham is bringing(something TJ never had)should only make it easier for the #2 receiver.

That is why Tate and Binns are way way way underachieving. It's kind of a joke if you ask me. Keep these guys off the field and let's see what Jones can do.
This is a crock. Honestly TJ was great on his own and we never saw him anywhere until he was over the hill like Chad was. So to say he only succeeded because of Chad is a bunch of crap.

Just like saying Sanu succeeded because of AJ. A bunch of crap. Sanu succeed because he has skill he made a brilliant 1 handed catch pulled another one off his hip with a DB draped over his back and did a little falling away catch. These are not things AJ helped him with he was covered on every play and still made a play. Lol stop diminishing the talent of others just because of another good player.
__________________
Joe From Flo is my Idol. :joe:
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Lolli's Avatar
Lolli Lolli is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CTC
Posts: 9,581
Rep Points: 13214
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddie View Post
It is your time to step up Jones you missed out when spraining your knee on the opening kick off with your family in PBS.

Now you are in Cali with even more family coming to watch you play. It is time for your coming out game dude!

I was a Sanu homer and still am the guy has immense talent but I liked what I saw from Jones in the pre-season and it is time for him to shine now! Give us a break out performance and do work...

I say the same for baby Hawk but he knows what time it is he is sitting on the bubble and he will have to blast off as well. We also need the D to play hard for 4 quarters. We can not sleep on San Diego and it is time for the next in line to show up.

Especially Jones! and I think he can do it he will have the opportunities and the motivation.
Marvin has been my guy since before the draft. I think he will shine. He is the future at the #2 wide out, with Sanu in the slot next year and Hawkins being the 4th WR.

We still need one more to replace Tate and either Binns or Whalen. We need to get back to 6 WRs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Joelist's Avatar
Joelist Joelist is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Justice, IL
Posts: 4,449
Rep Points: 6314
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Whose morale broke? How can you say this? He went out in practice.
Please read the posts I replied to. The BOARD morale break happened not when Sanu got hurt but when they announced they would be turning to Tate, who is pretty much universally acknowledged here as a bust.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 PM
SHRacerX's Avatar
SHRacerX SHRacerX is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,530
Rep Points: 3412
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
I really like Sanu a lot and he has shown the ability to be more than a slot WR if needed, but I still say Marvin Jones is a much more natural #2/Outside WR threat and Sanu will see more and more snaps from the slot which I personally consider #3 WR but either way they are classified I think both guys are a big part of the future here in Cincy. Hate that Sanu is hurt because his play has been a big reason we are back in the hunt for a playoff spot. Enough talent in Jones/Hawkins/Whalen though that we should be able to keep the ball rolling. Running game and Offensive Line have played a lot better recently as well so everyone up in arms about losing Sanu need to take a deep breath and watch as Marvin Jones steps it up big time, starting this week.
I'm an eternal optimist, but I agree with this post. I think Whalen will likely rotate in and out with Hawk in the slot, as Whalen has Sanu versatility and soft hands. Marvin must be targeted early AND NOT WITH A QUICK OUT!!! The problem with Tate/Binns was a lack of seperation and everything thrown their way was a 5 yard pattern. DBs quickly learned to sit on these routes. Marvin needs to be a true X....stretch the field with his great speed. He needs to be targeted on the first second and short play of the game. A bomb. Have AJ run a fake reverse...everyone and their brother will bit on it. Hit Marvin deep and watch their defense implode.
__________________
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 AM
BengalsRocker's Avatar
BengalsRocker BengalsRocker is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,982
Rep Points: 8727
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsRocker View Post
Yeah and that is the only reason why Sanu was getting compared to TJ. He started capitalizing on the opportunities and made the most of them. Not taking anything from WhosYoMama but he excelled because opposing Ds were so afraid of Chad in his prime.

Whoever is opposite of Green should be having big games. Throw in the demand that Gresham is bringing(something TJ never had)should only make it easier for the #2 receiver.

That is why Tate and Binns are way way way underachieving. It's kind of a joke if you ask me. Keep these guys off the field and let's see what Jones can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddie View Post
This is a crock. Honestly TJ was great on his own and we never saw him anywhere until he was over the hill like Chad was. So to say he only succeeded because of Chad is a bunch of crap.

Just like saying Sanu succeeded because of AJ. A bunch of crap. Sanu succeed because he has skill he made a brilliant 1 handed catch pulled another one off his hip with a DB draped over his back and did a little falling away catch. These are not things AJ helped him with he was covered on every play and still made a play. Lol stop diminishing the talent of others just because of another good player.
This is not a crock. Both Sanu and TJ are(were)very good receivers. Good receivers beat the single coverage. Great receivers beat double coverage.

More times than not Sanu and TJ would find this to their advantage to beat one guy. Also that one guy may not get Saftey/LB coverage help because of Gresham(Sanu's case).

Players like Tate and Binns struggle with single coverage as did Simpson when he was here.

I'm just stating that if the talent is there, they will exploit and capitalize on the single coverage. I'm not saying they can't make great catches/plays because they have

For all we know Sanu could be a bigger talent than TJ. As of yet, it would be really hard to compare the two... seeing as TJ was a reception league topper, and Sanu has only played a handful of games.

I'm sorry though despite his reception numbers. TJ would have never been a #1 receiver in my opinion. Even in his prime. He needed more single coverage and was not the type of receiver who could stretch a defense.
__________________
"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"


Last edited by BengalsRocker; 12-02-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 AM
THEBURG THEBURG is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,398
Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Binns was doing well before his injury. Don't forget that. Maybe he can come back strong.

Tate's made some great catches in his few targets.

Hawkins was the toast of our town in the first 3 weeks, caught a TD against the Giants and should have had two. Since then, he's been out. He's no slouch.

Plus, we are waiting to see what Andy can do with Marvin Jones.

And AJ didn't have 111 yards last week because the Raiders were distracted by Sanu. He had 111 yards because he's AJ Freaking Green!

So long as the OLine continues to block well, and Andy continues seeing the field as well as has been, we're going to be fine on offense.

The defense ought to shut down the Chargers as well as they shut down the Raiders. I don't see the Chargers as being any better on offense than the Raiders. Given their problems on the OLine, they could be worse.
I must have missed those games, I seen him catch a few balls, but doing well, is a overstatement, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Who2Dey's Avatar
Who2Dey Who2Dey is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: here
Posts: 9,927
Rep Points: 25797
Default Re: Time to Step up Marvin Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Two different receivers that bring different traits to the field.
so that means they are equal? No. He thinks Jones is better regardless of traits.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerthis View Post
A weeping woman (guilty or innocent) will be comforted.
I've never hit a woman in my life, but I've seen on more than one occasion where violence was needed to bring unruly women under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Its not like flattened her with a closed fist. She was rudely bothering him for an autograph.She drilled him right in the eye with a full glass of beer as a natural reaction he got angry and smacked her hard. It could have and probably has happened to quite a few people
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.