Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Bengals versus....

Bengals versus.... A forum for visiting fans to partake in conversations with Bengals fans about upcoming games or the Bengals in general. Please leave the trash talk in the Smack Talk subforum below. Formerly the Game Day subforum (Game Day threads remain here).

Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1909
Default My only beef with the win.

I hated the play calling after the sack fumble. we should have been going for the win on 1st dwon as opposed to 3rd down. were only up 4 why not try to put the game away.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20211
Default Re: My only beef with the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
I hated the play calling after the sack fumble. we should have been going for the win on 1st dwon as opposed to 3rd down. were only up 4 why not try to put the game away.
Couldn't agree more. Why not run that nice little third down play on first down?
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23535

Agreed. Marvin took over the offense again. I'd love to see Gruden throw his clipboard that that idiot.
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

Quote:
Because you go for the sure points and go up by 7 hmmmm and give the ball to our defense who didn't give up a td all day hmmmmm
Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20094

My only real complaint as well. Just glad we won it in the end though.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6342

I wonder if Mike McCarthy took a plane to San Diego after the Packers game and coached the Bengals on their last series.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 40598

Quote:
If we woulda thrown a pick 6 there what would your only beef be?

Ben was beasting today, the D was keeping them out of the endzone, and ANdy had already given them 6 points. The play calling was just as it should be run, run, high percentage pass. Kick the FG, go up by 7 and turn it over to the D.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 40598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
Because you go for the sure points and go up by 7 hmmmm and give the ball to our defense who didn't give up a td all day hmmmmm
This type of thinking makes it very hard to blame Marvin.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2969

Mainly because the offense had Been struggling. Dalton had thrown two picks, and overall just wasn't having too great of a game. The Bengals had three points gift wrapped to them that put all the pressure on SD's offense to score a touchdown to even have a chance of winning in OT, something they hadn't done.

Really intelligent call. Obviously fans are going to **** and moan because they want to "go for the kill" no matter what, but if Dalton had tried a PA pass and threw a pick, got sacked or sacked/fumble, it could have killed that opportunity. He took his three, and put his defense on he field. I'm happy with that call 10/10 times.

Adrian "All Day" Peterson
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post

Ben was beasting today, the D was keeping them out of the endzone, and ANdy had already given them 6 points. The play calling was just as it should be run, run, high percentage pass. Kick the FG, go up by 7 and turn it over to the D.
But if you run that 3rd down play on first down and you have second and one, everything changes. You can still have the two runs.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23535

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellMarine View Post
Mainly because the offense had Been struggling. Dalton had thrown two picks, and overall just wasn't having too great of a game. The Bengals had three points gift wrapped to them that put all the pressure on SD's offense to score a touchdown to even have a chance of winning in OT, something they hadn't done.

Really intelligent call. Obviously fans are going to **** and moan because they want to "go for the kill" no matter what, but if Dalton had tried a PA pass and threw a pick, got sacked or sacked/fumble, it could have killed that opportunity. He took his three, and put his defense on he field. I'm happy with that call 10/10 times.
I was pumped to go for the jugular. They came very close (too close) to tying the game. Leaving those extra 4 points out there gave them life and hope. Going for AJ in the end zone would have given us a chance to nail the coffin shut. Oh well, we won.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Who do you guys have next week?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker09 View Post
Who do you guys have next week?
Cowboys here.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Cowboys here.
That will be a win.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714

Quote:

You've got it just right here. As much as I've loved to see the aggressive playcalls this season; this was not the time. Can't risk the pick six there, you must play it safe to give yourself the best chance to win. Ideally we shouldn't have been in that position in the first place, but it was what it was and things worked out in our favor.

Last edited by FRAv; 12-02-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1904

My beef is WHY CAN'T THE BENGALS SCORE POINTS IN THE THIRD QUARTER???
Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker09 View Post
That will be a win.
I'd like to think so. The Cowboys are screwy. They should be able to beat anybody but they're best at beating themselves.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3304

Honestly, i think they wanted to shorten the game and run the clock there...go up 7. They did pass on 3rd down.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I'd like to think so. The Cowboys are screwy. They should be able to beat anybody but they're best at beating themselves.
Hopefully they beat themselves against you guys. I think you guys can take them. As long as you pressure Romo you will be fine. If you force a few turnovers and dont turn the ball over yourselves you will be fine. Dalton will need to have a good game. Dallas is a screwy team like you said. They lost to Washington and a few weeks back they took Atlanta down to the wire in Atlanta. Dallas is the most overhyped team in the NFL. Everyone talks about them like their great. It bothers me when the media doesn't mention the Bengals being good but they have to talk about the Media darling's the Cowgirls.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 143

If you think about it Hawkins had a chance to score or pick up a first down but instead he carried the ball in the wrong hand and fumbled out of bounds. It was a safe play that could've work.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: My only beef with the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
That makes no sense, they had three downs to score a t.d., and still kick the field goal, if the other downs failed to produce the t.d.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: My only beef with the win.

Quote:

You can't blame Dalton for the tipped pick, but he did miss some wide open receivers in the end zone, so maybe you are right, it all came out in the wash.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:44 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17236

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post

They could have run that safe little screen on first down and then let Ben beast it on second and third. Then kick the FG if they didn't get the first.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
You can't blame Dalton for the tipped pick, but he did miss some wide open receivers in the end zone, so maybe you are right, it all came out in the wash.
Dalton missed a wide open AJ on the trick play, and a wide open Jones on another play.

Andy was not sharp today, it happens to everyone sometime, but they did what was needed to win.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2051

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
Honestly, i think they wanted to shorten the game and run the clock there...go up 7. They did pass on 3rd down.
I think so too.

But it must've been obvious we had been giving up big passes most of the way. And you knew we'd do it on the last Chargers drive (and we did). Sure we hadnt given up a TD, but you knew it would be a nervy ending.

Ultimately the team won, and that 'conservative' play calling made no real difference. There was a lot out there to improve on, but we got what we wanted. Id like to see us play a bit better the next two weeks and be real in the zone for Pittsburgh, rather than bundled into there on bad form, or needed to play catch up.