Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1096
Default Andy and the long ball

Andy is great he is definitely our franchise Qb.

I think he is a winner with similar skills as a Joe Montana. Hope he gets the rings and has a career like Joe.

Can he develope the long ball? I think his long ball accuracy it's the only thing missing in his game.

It's not his arm strength. It's his long ball consistency and accuracy.

He makes some great long balls and he also misfires maybe half of them.

Can he develops this ?? Can you imagine AJs numbers??

Who dey!!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7038
Default Re: Andy and the long ball

I'll admit, even I, was a little disappointed by the throw to AJ way down the sideline where he clearly had his man beat( solid 2-3 steps) and it ends up being clearly out of bounds. I'm just glad we still managed to win the game.

The play where AJ was wide open in the end zone and he overthrew him also drove me nuts but I'm not going to bash him. He's played pretty well as of late but that was a gift that wasn't capitalized upon.

#OfficialTaterHaterClub #President
Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 11671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
I'll admit, even I, was a little disappointed by the throw to AJ way down the sideline where he clearly had his man beat( solid 2-3 steps) and it ends up being clearly out of bounds. I'm just glad we still managed to win the game.

The play where AJ was wide open in the end zone and he overthrew him also drove me nuts but I'm not going to bash him. He's played pretty well as of late but that was a gift that wasn't capitalized upon.
I don't know, but can only hope. He definitely did not play well overall today. But, he made plays when he had to and led a 4th quarter comeback.
Round 3 - AJ McCarron - 6'3" 220

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18756

Take away the Gresham fumble and that debacle by Marvin Jones, and we'd have won by more than two touchdowns. Take away those awful misses to AJ and we'd have won by 3 touchdowns.

I'm glad he got this bad game out of his system. Dalton grew up a Cowboys fan. Next week he has the opportunity to beat them. I think he'll shred them into embarrassment. He's due a 300+ yard game, and AJ's over due for a TD or 2 himself.

I wish I was in Cincy next week. I'd damn sure get myself to PBS for this game.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5778

Actually a far more pressing concern is finding (yet AGAIN) a viable #2 WR option opposite AJ. The lack thereof causes AJ to be blanketed which actually is partly responsible for the overthrows as Andy doesn't know when he throws that AJ will be wide open and also he is assuming top coverage so is trying to put it where only AJ can get it - on long passes that causes overthrows more often.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Take away the Gresham fumble and that debacle by Marvin Jones, and we'd have won by more than two touchdowns. Take away those awful misses to AJ and we'd have won by 3 touchdowns.

I'm glad he got this bad game out of his system. Dalton grew up a Cowboys fan. Next week he has the opportunity to beat them. I think he'll shred them into embarrassment. He's due a 300+ yard game, and AJ's over due for a TD or 2 himself.

I wish I was in Cincy next week. I'd damn sure get myself to PBS for this game.

I'll make some noise for you bro

(What did I just sign up for?!)

Now I won't have my voice back fully until Wednesday instead of Tuesday

#OfficialTaterHaterClub #President
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 149
bengals Re: Andy and the long ball

Andy dalton will be just fine ......He had a bad day today and we still won ....That shows that we are a good team....It looked like everybody was a lilttle off today...That might be jet lagg...... Plus the chargers aint no joke on defense ...Andy has been taking care off the ball the last 4 games just had that 1 bad pic today.....And as far as the long throws goes thats just timing....And sometimes pressure make you throw the ball before your ready.....If you ask me i think andy dalton is a realy good Q.B .....He has came in and gave this team life ....We made the playoffs last year and we are in the hunt this year ....Sometimes it take Q.Bs 5 years to get to wheres hes at in just 2 short years and 1 training camp....So lets just take it Ez on him and watch him grow into the leader we need
Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 24978

I'm not worried about Andy Dalton. Both of the interceptions San Diego made today were on tipped balls which aren't Andy's fault. As for the long ball, it has to do with creating viable #2 and #3 receivers opposite AJ Green because, as it stands right now, opposing secondaries single-cover the #2 and #3 Bengals receivers and roll the majority of coverage to AJ's side. He's not going to catch a lot of long balls that way especially if a team rolls a safety over the top to AJ's side.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17063

I think Andy is a very good QB and I have no desire to replace him in any way (thats my disclaimer), but the sure TD to Green miss wasnt the first time this has happened all year. It's fairly common. He is a great short and mid range QB, but slightly below average on long ball accuracy. He's hit a few long balls, but missed a little more than he's hit. That said I think he can and will improve it over the next year. He knows what to work on.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1223

Not Andy's best game, but we just kept battling and won on the coast. Marvin Jones dropped a big pass, too, and Gresham's fumble was a killer.

On the other hand, Dunlap played a really good game, and so did Bennie. We found a way to win a game we were supposed to win, and that shows some progress for this team.

I thought the story of the game was our terrific defensive line play. Those guys are a handful.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post

Andy made that same deep sideline throw to Green in a few games this season. Just was not his game today.

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 107

It's a potentially serious flaw in his game. He has some nice attributes, and overall they outweigh the bad. But he simply can't keep missing open guys downfield- it's eventually going to bite the team big time. And I earnestly feel he'd be the absolute first to tell you that. Fortunately he's the kind of player who I think will do his level best to correct it.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24123

Andy hits that pass more often than he misses. That said, do some of you realize that deep passes are not completed as often as short ones? He's bound to miss some.

Btw, I tried to find stats on deep throws (30-40+ yards). If anyone can dig something up on that can you please post it? I have a feeling Andy isn't as bad on deep throws as some are making it seem.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:21 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Andy hits that pass more often than he misses. That said, do some of you realize that deep passes are not completed as often as short ones? He's bound to miss some.

Btw, I tried to find stats on deep throws (30-40+ yards). If anyone can dig something up on that can you please post it? I have a feeling Andy isn't as bad on deep throws as some are making it seem.
I agree. I think you're a little more critical when you're watching a team you are emotionally invested in.

There are games Rogers, Brees, Brady, Manning, etc etc miss deep balls and overthrow TD passes and are ****** off about it.

I have seen Dalton throw some absolute perfect deep sideline throws a number of time this year.

Besides. He's sophomore slumping remember?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15772

Quote:

4- 13 - 128 - 1 - 1

Rating = 62.3 Passing deep left

3- 10 - 97 - 0 - 1

Rating = 27.9 Passing deep middle

8- 23 - 294 - 3 - 1

Rating = 104.6 Passing deep right

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
4- 13 - 128 - 1 - 1

Rating = 62.3 Passing deep left

3- 10 - 97 - 0 - 1

Rating = 27.9 Passing deep middle

8- 23 - 294 - 3 - 1

Rating = 104.6 Passing deep right
I knew you would have the stats. Any idea how that compares to league averages or some others for comparison?

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15772

Quote:
I knew you would have the stats. Any idea how that compares to league averages or some others for comparison?
I could do that, but it would take a while to compile

And I have an exam tomorrow

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
I could do that, but it would take a while to compile

And I have an exam tomorrow
Dang it. Just tell your prof that you had to compile statistics to help someone make a point on a Bengals message board. I'm sure he'll understand.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2451

I didn't catch the entire game but I hope it isn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be. He had a string of good games and i hope he continues to show improvement. I'll have to watch game rewind.....
Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12569

Quote:

Several announcers have mentioned this year that AJ is too close to the side line and it is not leaving enough room for error. If the analysts have picked up on it, why is it taking so long to coach it?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:35 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 986

Sorry guys but the deep throws were tough throws. No need to be overly concerned. I was more upset about the miss the AJ on the short wide open TD. Dalton is top ten right now.

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter

Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 695

I'm .concerned with his forcing balls to AJ when others are ridiculously open. Its said that AJ has never acted like a diva in the huddle, so why is Dalton so transfixed on pleasing him with forced balls? Carson Palmer always felt he had to please T.O & Chad and force balls just to shut them up. Dalton needs to realize the TRUE looks WILL come . AJ is too gifted a receiver to feel he needs to force things.Consider this fact: in those three wins the ball was spread around equally amongst everyone. Sure AJ 's streak ended but we won.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:23 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7430

Andy can throw it deep, by sideline routes kill him because he's not accurate deep. How many times have we seen AJ beat his man, and then have a ball thrown deep out of bounds?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Andy can throw it deep, by sideline routes kill him because he's not accurate deep. How many times have we seen AJ beat his man, and then have a ball thrown deep out of bounds?
I took note of your present location(Location: FOB Ghazni, Afghanistan) I'm not sure if your millitary, but be careful Bro and get home safely. GO! BENGALS!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3179

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerBlitz View Post
I didn't catch the entire game but I hope it isn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be. He had a string of good games and i hope he continues to show improvement. I'll have to watch game rewind.....
Think last Steelers game but not quite as bad.

-The Rookie Connection-