Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Bengals versus....

Bengals versus.... A forum for visiting fans to partake in conversations with Bengals fans about upcoming games or the Bengals in general. Please leave the trash talk in the Smack Talk subforum below. Formerly the Game Day subforum (Game Day threads remain here).

Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 868
Default Re: My only beef with the win.

Would love to see it, but everyone should know by now that Lewis isn't like that.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Agreed. Marvin took over the offense again. I'd love to see Gruden throw his clipboard that that idiot.
Moron.

Jay is the offensive coordinator and calls the plays.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Moron.

Jay is the offensive coordinator and calls the plays.
Don't ya know by now?? If the offense explodes, it's all Gruden!! And if the offense struggles, it's all Marvin!!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8704

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
That makes no sense, they had three downs to score a t.d., and still kick the field goal, if the other downs failed to produce the t.d.
Actually, what he said makes perfect sense.

It forced SD to score a TD, which they had not come close to doing all day.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

I HATED the approach of playing for three after the Dunlap FF. If there was less than two minutes...then okay. Pound the rock and make them take their timeouts. However, with just shy of four minutes and a first and ten on the 13 you gotta go for six and the ball game. You don't need to be reckless, but go for the endzone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
Because you go for the sure points and go up by 7 hmmmm and give the ball to our defense who didn't give up a td all day hmmmmm
That close to the goalline a FG is a foregone conclusion. Ultimately, the minute of clock and one time out used by the Chargers for had no bearing what so ever. Even if the Bengals had thown 3 straight incompletions on that possesion the scenario is still the same. Stop the chargers. Kneel down. Ball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
If we woulda thrown a pick 6 there what would your only beef be?

Ben was beasting today, the D was keeping them out of the endzone, and ANdy had already given them 6 points. The play calling was just as it should be run, run, high percentage pass. Kick the FG, go up by 7 and turn it over to the D.
Do we really have that little faith in Dalton? Isn't he supposed to be our leader and franchise QB. Maybe we should treat him like one. Have the modicum of confidence needed in your QB to take a couple shots at the endzone and not do anything foolish.

Plus, what is more probable? A. Dalton throwing a pick 6 or B. a scoring drive in just shy of three minutes? Clearly the answer is B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAv View Post
You've got it just right here. As much as I've loved to see the aggressive playcalls this season; this was not the time. Can't risk the pick six there, you must play it safe to give yourself the best chance to win. Ideally we shouldn't have been in that position in the first place, but it was what it was and things worked out in our favor.
You don't need to be aggresive. You need to be smart and recognize the risk v. reward. Reward, get a TD and seal the game. Risk, kick a FG and be in the exact same situation. Too much time to go conservative. If they do that v. a better team they'll allow them to steal a win.

Seriously guys, if the shoe was on the other foot and Chargers just got a Dalton fumble inside the 15 yardline and could ice the game w a TD wouldn't you appreciate the totally flaccid approach of playing for three and giving your team the ball back with more than enough time to drive the field? I would.

So obviously happy with the win, really don't get the logic of conceeding the opportunity to seal a win with 4 minutes to play.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Dan_The_Bengals_Fan View Post
Would love to see it, but everyone should know by now that Lewis isn't like that.
Yeah. it's not like he went for it on 4th and 9 early in the game or anything...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28443

When the Bengals win I have no beef at all!

Against the Chargers the Cincinnati defense was terrific and won the game. There are going to be weeks when the offense is not firing on all cylinders and that's okay. The Bengals are good enough to win with their C-game offense so long as the defense holds the opponent to under 20 points.