Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21606
Default Re: Marvin Jones opinions

As stated earlier in this thread and on the bengals.com front page, he blocks well downfield and he'll get better with reps. The drop/int. was terrrrrrrilbe. I thought that might be the ballgame right there. He was open. He had probably 15 yards, the ball hits him in the hands, and DOINK!

He'll get better. He already blocks better than 80% of the WRs in the league. Don't dismiss that element. That could be the difference between a 10 yard run and a 56 yard TD.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5368

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonFan View Post
As stated earlier in this thread and on the bengals.com front page, he blocks well downfield and he'll get better with reps. The drop/int. was terrrrrrrilbe. I thought that might be the ballgame right there. He was open. He had probably 15 yards, the ball hits him in the hands, and DOINK!

He'll get better. He already blocks better than 80% of the WRs in the league. Don't dismiss that element. That could be the difference between a 10 yard run and a 56 yard TD.
90% of his job is catching the ball.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20829

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
Because he hasn't been active in the last 6 games. Sanu was and it worked. It looks like a choice between Binns and Jones at the 2.
Oh That would explain it. But they had Whalen out there today. Talk about someone not being able to get open. He didn't even get targeted today.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Oh That would explain it. But they had Whalen out there today. Talk about someone not being able to get open. He didn't even get targeted today.
I think Whalen did have a catch early on, but then I don't remember seeing him. Binns is much better suited to be the #2 than Jones, and Whalen just mimics Hawkins. I hope they try Binns net week. Maybe he doesn't play special teams.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Nice try Shady.

Ran 4 routes, caught one for a first down, Andy ran on another, and the other two were both quick screens.

He gets open, don't even attempt to take a jab.

He did more than MJ today.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-03-2012, 01:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
I think he struggled,but I think that should be expected. We don't throw to the #2 WR a whole lot,no matter who it is. We didn't throw to Binns a lot,we truthfully didn't throw to Sanu a whole lot except in the red zone,and we probably won't be throwing it to Jones a whole lot,either. Realisitically,our #2 WR is like our 4th receiving option behind AJ,Gresham,and Hawkins. He has to make that grab that bounced off his hands,though. That was a perfect throw that wound up being a big momentum swing for the Chargers.
(bolding mine)

We have a winner!

Ian
Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Nice try Shady.

Ran 4 routes, caught one for a first down, Andy ran on another, and the other two were both quick screens.

I was waiting for you to correct me.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

We have seen Aj Green drop a TD pass that hits him in the hands, this year.
Sanu has dropped more than one pass that hit him in the hands, this year.

No one screams about those. The difference was this resulted in an INT.

Jones was also open on more than one play, and Andy did not throw to him.

Jones has not had much time to work with Dalton, because of the injury.

Give the kid, time and he will show, the only WR with better skills is AJ Green.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 690

He was pretty underwhelming this game, but I felt that the play calling didn't really fit his talents on a lot of plays. Seemed as though they were having him run a lot of routes that were more up Sanu's alley and didn't ever try to stretch the field with him. Still have faith that 3 wide sets of Green, Jones, and Sanu are gonna be good with Hawk coming in on 4 and 5 wide sets.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1013

Jones really hurt Dalton on that INT over the middle. That ball was more right there. That was not a good look for Jones. He does get open and I am confident he will improve. Was not his best night.

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter

Old 12-03-2012, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 520

He is a rookie and very raw but do you want to let him ride the bench for a few years before you give him reps like Simpson.This guy has the talent to be a # 2 in the NFL he will have growing pains but with Gresh Hawkins and Green on the field we should be ok with Jones trying to find his stride.I say keep playing him and get him some confidence by working him into the gameplan slowly.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Nice try Shady.

"Ohio is a kind of Football machine..." - SteelCitySouth
Old 12-03-2012, 04:20 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21405
bengals Re: Marvin Jones opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
There's a reason he was available in the 5th round.
Yeah and Arian Foster went undrafted.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay62107 View Post
I don't have an opinion on him yet because I haven't seen enough of him. But with his drop yes it was a easy catch but Hawkins had a drop today also and I don't see anyone saying he deserved to be undrafted. Even the best receivers have dropped passes and will continue to have drops as long as they don't start piling up like Braylon Edwards and he's producing then I won't have as much of a problem with it. But there is just not enough tape on him to say he's a pro-bowler in the making or a wasted 5th round pick.
Thank you. Was Jones hyped up going into this game? Yes... but you shouldn't throw him under the bus for that. We all know we've seen even the best receivers including our own AJ Green/Chad Johnson drop passes right in their hands.

Please stop with all of this until we can see a true measurement of what Jones can really do. It's not like he's been given Tate opportunites at the position.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:34 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
90% of his job is catching the ball.
If you think 90% of a wide receivers job is catching the ball....I question whether you've actually seen a game or just watch the final scores roll across the bottom of the screen.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

You guys are idiots. The guy dropped one pass.

I've seen AJ Green drop more passes than that. I don't think I ever watched a game where Jerry Rice didn't have a drop.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
Very true would drop the easy things then make an awesome play. Make you scratch your head like how in the hell did he drop the easy one.
Sounds a lot like Gresham at the beginning of the season, no?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2514

I think we really missed Sanu!!!

We have to remember Jones pretty luch just got activated so this was his first real game. There's gonna be rust. HE HAS TO MAKE THAT CATCH it hit him in the face. We know that and He knows that. I still think he has the potential to be our deep guy. THe Charges played alot of deep cover 2 which limits speed on the outside. Give the kid time.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRAB14 View Post
I think we really missed Sanu!!!

We have to remember Jones pretty luch just got activated so this was his first real game. There's gonna be rust. HE HAS TO MAKE THAT CATCH it hit him in the face. We know that and He knows that. I still think he has the potential to be our deep guy. THe Charges played alot of deep cover 2 which limits speed on the outside. Give the kid time.
Jones has been active in a few games already this season. While, he hasn't had many snaps, he has seen action so I find this statement to be a bit of a cop-out. The guy has been playing football his entire life. He's been practicing with the team all year and has no excuse to have missed that catch. We need to see more to make a judgement on him, but I was hoping for much more from him out of this game. Hopefully he gets it going against Dallas.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27379

My opinion of Jones is the same as when we drafted him. He's raw. Most receivers do not make an impact until years 2 or 3. I wanted Mario Manningham to bridge that gap, but Mike Brown used his previous poor decisions (Coles, Bryant, TO) as an excuse to not sign any FA wr's this year. Sure could use an experienced WR right now.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2514

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAv View Post
Jones has been active in a few games already this season. While, he hasn't had many snaps, he has seen action so I find this statement to be a bit of a cop-out. The guy has been playing football his entire life. He's been practicing with the team all year and has no excuse to have missed that catch. We need to see more to make a judgement on him, but I was hoping for much more from him out of this game. Hopefully he gets it going against Dallas.
He played one special teams snap against Pitt and got hurt. I also meant he just got activated from being hurt which means it has been since the Pitt game since he had live game play. He just started going full go basically this week in practice. Not to mention the kid is a rookie. Remember when people used to say it took rookie WR 3 years to adjust. This kid is a 5th round pick. I never excused missing the catch as I said in my post. But to be down on the kid after one game is a bit much. My bigger question is where was gresham?? After the TD catch he disappeared until his fumble. I am much mor hard on Gresh that I will be on Jones at this point
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
You guys are idiots. The guy dropped one pass.

I've seen AJ Green drop more passes than that. I don't think I ever watched a game where Jerry Rice didn't have a drop.
So what you're saying here, is that the greatest wide receiver of all time, arguably the greatest NFL football player of all time, had at least one flat out drop per game? Be real.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3046

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
There's a reason he was available in the 5th round.

I was thinking the same.

The question is whether he'll develop or not. It took Chad a couple of years, and the guy has not had much playing time.

I think he'll get the reps. He seemed to be getting separation. Let's hope he grows quickly in the job. We need to be able to hurt teams with players other than Green.

If he doesn't develop we need to find one before next year... which means drafting one higher than the 5th round.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 345
Default Sanu>Marvin Joes

IMO, it's even part of the reason the offense stalled yesterday.

Our Offense is MUCH more potent than what presented yesterday.

We seemed to be missing "something".

Proof that "wheels" do NOT always trump "hands" and pure athletism

Just saying :(
Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3302
Default Re: Sanu>Marvin Joes

Marvin Jones was a pretty big disappointment. Not going to deny that.