Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1381
Default Costas getting ripped for anti-gun speech.

Bob Costas' anti-gun plea during halftime of Sunday Night Football is getting him ripped online.

Just search #bobcostas on twitter or google Bob Costas anti-gun and look at the results.

Hank Williams got let go for his political comments, I wonder what will happen to Costas (if anything).
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5912
Default Re: Costas getting ripped for anti-gun speech.

I was pretty po'ed about letting HW Jr go. People's political stance shouldn't have anything to do with their entertainment value. 3/4th of Hollywood always feels the need to give their opinions and we don't do much about that. It's not like he was giving speeches during halftime. His song was used to start the games off.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15532
Thumbs down Re: Costas getting ripped for anti-gun speech.

Nevermind the countless elderly folk,men,women,children,etc who have defended themselves from criminals thanks to 2nd Amendment. Bob Costas tries to blame an Americans 2nd Amendment Constitutional right to bear arms on the tragic murder /suicide of Kansas City Chiefs player Jevon Belcher. Costas said on Sunday Night Football tonight "if people like Jevon Belcher didn't own guns, things like this wouldn't happen".

Bob Costas should stick to reporting sports and keep his far left political views to himself. Gun control laws are insignificant to those who want to kill!

Guns Kill, knives kill, dogs kill, cars kill, clubs kill, radiation kills, water kills. So we must ban shooting, using knives, having pet dogs, driving, baseball, X rays, and drinking water or bathing.

Please protect us from ourselves statists.

"When the federal government spends more each year than it collects in tax revenues, it has three choices: It can raise taxes, print money, or borrow money. While these actions may benefit politicians, all three options are bad for average Americans."
-Ron Paul
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." -Ron Paul
Old 12-03-2012, 02:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1381

I just wonder if the dude is going to have to make a public apology or not. Hank got slammed after his Obama remark, since it's on the liberal side of things I am learning towards it just being brushed over.

That being said I believe the Chiefs and the NFL have done a great job offering help and support to all those involved.NBC had to let the clown out.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

You can't look at an anti gun speech in the same vain as what HWJr. said. HWJr. insulted and slandered a sitting president. I'm sure if he had made similar remarks about Bush when he was in office he would have been let go as well.

Anyway, getting rid of guns won't solve anything. Criminals will still find ways to get them, and people will still use them to commit crimes. If's it's about the Belcher thing, he still could have killed his GF and himself without a gun. So really, Costas's speech was pointless.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2855

F Costas and all the other gun grabbers.
That guy could have killed himself and his GF with any number of things. Maybe he could have grabbed a hammer and bashed her skull in, or held he down and smothered her with a pillow, or strangle her with a rope or his BARE HANDS!!
Or maybe he could have gotten a big knife and hacked her up and the cut his own wrist.
Or how about throwing flammable liquid on her and lighting a match,
Or maybe waiting for her to be outside and running her down in his car.
I could go on and on and on and on.....If someone has made the decision to kill someone they are MORE than capable of doing it other than with a gun.
I hope he gets **** canned.
Save your political views for when you go to your pansy get togethers Costas
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
You can't look at an anti gun speech in the same vain as what HWJr. said. HWJr. insulted and slandered a sitting president. I'm sure if he had made similar remarks about Bush when he was in office he would have been let go as well.

Anyway, getting rid of guns won't solve anything. Criminals will still find ways to get them, and people will still use them to commit crimes. If's it's about the Belcher thing, he still could have killed his GF and himself without a gun. So really, Costas's speech was pointless.
Gun bans only do one thing and that make it easier for criminals to be criminals because they KNOW people wont have guns. If they didn't know if the person they are going to rob had a gun and would shoot them they would be less likely to take that chance.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:39 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13436

This is the first thing I have ever seen that makes Costas even remotely interesting.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8433

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICKYSHUFFLE View Post
That guy could have killed himself and his GF with any number of things. Maybe he could have grabbed a hammer and bashed her skull in, or held he down and smothered her with a pillow, or strangle her with a rope or his BARE HANDS!!
Or maybe he could have gotten a big knife and hacked her up and the cut his own wrist.
I could go on and on and on and on.....If someone has made the decision to kill someone they are MORE than capable of doing it other than with a gun.
Classy.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2164

Quote:
Bow and arrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SociopathicSteelerFan View Post
This ginger loser has handed out his punishments based on public opinion it's only right that public opinion be responsible for his demise.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5912

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post

ESPN cut him, not the NFL or mabye Hank pulled the plug himself. They also violated his right to the 1st amendment by doing so. From what I undestand, is that Jr wasn't on the ESPN Payroll when he made those comments.

"After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision," Williams Jr. said in a statement. "By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It's been a great run."

Williams' song, titled "All My Rowdy Friends Are Here on Monday Night," is a remixed version of his 1984 hit, "All My Rowdy Friends are Coming Over Tonight." ESPN no longer will have access to the music or words because Williams owns the publishing rights, the master recordings and the song.

Hank even apologized.

What's really funny is how the media makes it a horrible thing, yet Madonna can call him a "black Muslim in the White House" and it's ok, simply because she's an Obama Supporter. Madonna never apologized.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M (the other one) View Post
ESPN cut him, not the NFL or mabye Hank pulled the plug himself. They also violated his right to the 1st amendment by doing so. From what I undestand, is that Jr wasn't on the ESPN Payroll when he made those comments.

"After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision," Williams Jr. said in a statement. "By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It's been a great run."

Williams' song, titled "All My Rowdy Friends Are Here on Monday Night," is a remixed version of his 1984 hit, "All My Rowdy Friends are Coming Over Tonight." ESPN no longer will have access to the music or words because Williams owns the publishing rights, the master recordings and the song.

Hank even apologized.

What's really funny is how the media makes it a horrible thing, yet Madonna can call him a "black Muslim in the White House" and it's ok, simply because she's an Obama Supporter. Madonna never apologized.
I don't see how his 1st amendment rights were violated? Nobody tried to prevent him from speaking his mind, but there are consequences for saying something that many would find offputting, not to mention blatently false. If ESPN fired him, it was because they didn't like the way he was representing the company. His viewpoints are very controversial, and a sports station probably doesn't want to get caught up in the clusterfukc that is American politics.

What he said about Obama may not have been horrible, but it was horribly wrong. When you have millions of people who idolize you, spreading false information to them could be a dangerous thing. Madonna is no different. If she meant what she said about Obama being a Muslim, she should apologize for her ignorance as well.

Either way, injecting politics into situations that's not called for is generally not a good thing and will only result in negative outcomes. Costas was stupid for exploting a terrible situation to try and further a political ideology.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35108

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStripes View Post

Guns Kill, knives kill, dogs kill, cars kill, clubs kill, radiation kills, water kills. So we must ban shooting, using knives, having pet dogs, driving, baseball, X rays, and drinking water or bathing.
Guns Knives Cars Clubs etc

are merely tools and are by them selves pretty harmless..

It takes a person to use these things to kill with them. People Kill and they use tools to do it.

But A gun isnt to blame here it was simply the tool he used. the LB is to blame for not trying to figure out a less final approach to this problem.

People need to stop making excuses and blaming every possible thing but themselves...
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35108

Quote:
When getting on an airplane if im asked if im carrying any weapons i used to always say...

Just 4 my 2 hands and 2 feet.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
When getting on an airplane if im asked if im carrying any weapons i used to always say...

Just 4 my 2 hands and 2 feet.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 12-03-2012, 02:16 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 78466

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBengal9 View Post
Bob Costas' anti-gun plea during halftime of Sunday Night Football is getting him ripped online.

Just search #bobcostas on twitter or google Bob Costas anti-gun and look at the results.

Hank Williams got let go for his political comments, I wonder what will happen to Costas (if anything).
I think the Hank Williams situation is a good example for the Costas comments. Costas was out of line, in my leftist opinion. Political commentary is generally not acceptable in sportscasting. The FCC used to have strict rules about this, but those were overturned in the late 80's. Now, it is up to the broadcasters to police themselves. Welcome to the wild west of the free market.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
Classy.
Wasn't trying to be so graphic. Sorry if it comes across that way but I am just stating facts.
People want to use the argument for gun control saying people can kill people and/or themselves if guns are available. Well that's one of the hundreds of ways a person could do something like that if they have made the decision that they are going to kill someone.

Just because a few idiots decide they are going to use a gun to shoot people doesn't mean you should just "get rid" of all guns. People are stabbed fatally all the time, should we put bans on knives too?
More people are killed a year by drunk drivers than by guns. And I bet if you removed the self defense and accidental shootings the difference would be quite a bit more.
I guess we should just stop people from driving all together?

And if people don't know the constitution I suggest they look up the reason we have the right to have guns. Here's a hint.......It's not really for hunting.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5969

Are people really comparing Hank Williams to Bob Costas? Costas is a giant as a sports commentator and historian. And Hank's comments were pretty offensive, even if you were middle of the road politically.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28268

Bob Costas is entitled to his own opinion. However, he has an employer on whose network he appears and what happens in this situation is this: The person's opinion is perceived to be the opinion of the network.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2575

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBengal9 View Post

Costas wont be let go because he is pushing a Left Wing Liberal agenda in gun control.only reason Hank was fired was because he was anti obama. what liberals dont understand is

1: banning guns or gun control wont solve the problem. criminals still have guns and never follow the law and keeping the people who are responsible from owning them , so this leaves homes open for all sorts of crime.

2: Liberals are pushing for gun control so no one in the US has firearms that way they can fully take over the country with minimal rebellion from citizens and do what they want with the country. (i guess they do understand that)

this world can not be a patty cake type world where everyone is peaceful. never gonna happen.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.

Last edited by Dalton's_Gang; 12-04-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2575

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStripes View Post

Please protect us from ourselves statists.
People kill people as well so should we ban ourselves?

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM
VIP Gold Member

Take away guns!! Take them all away!!

That is the easiest answer to make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy.

It is a way to make people think they are doing good by advocating what they think is right. It is an easy out.

How many of these celebs etc. spend their time volunteering to helping "people". To donate money to social programs that would get to the root of these problems.

Yes, gun violence will increase and violent crime will also continue to increase. But not because guns exist and not because any other weapons exist but because socially, economically and morally our entire system is effed up.

Show me the real statistics out there. Show me how many elderly live on peanut butter sandwhiches and no heat because they can't afford to live and they can't work.

Show me how many of these gun crimes are commited by fatherless children that are raised on the streets because either whoever is raising them is addicted to drugs or is working 16 hr days just to put food on the table.

As parents, neighbors, friends and as a society as a whole everyone needs to be held accountable for what they do to affect their own lives and the lives around them. That is our job as human beings. No one feels accountable for anything anymore, there is always something else to blame.

Take guns away but don't fix the issues that cause people to want to or need to use those guns in the first place......makes perfect sense.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
Costas wont be let go because he is pushing a Left Wing Liberal agenda in gun control.only reason Hank was fired was because he was anti obama. what liberals dont understand is

1: banning guns or gun control wont solve the problem. criminals still have guns and never follow the law and keeping the people who are responsible from owning them , so this leaves homes open for all sorts of crime.

2: Liberals are pushing for gun control so no one in the US has firearms that way they can fully take over the country with minimal rebellion from citizens and do what they want with the country. (i guess they do understand that)

this world can not be a patty cake type world where everyone is peaceful. never gonna happen.
Hank was likely fired due to being extremely controversial and slanderous:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Williams Jr. View Post
"We've got a Muslim for a president who hates cowboys, hates cowgirls, hates fishing, hates farming, loves gays, and we hate him!"
That is either patently untrue(being a Muslim), or totally unfounded. Also, last time I checked, being a Muslim isn't a bad thing, or at least shouldn't be(1st and 14th Amendment anyone?). So really, in a round about way, Hank was likening Obama to Muslim terrorists.

He also compared Obama to Hitler, and said he was "the enemy".

Now tell me, if you made a speech similar to his about the President at a company picnic for example, don't you think you'd be fired too? What if you slandered a co-worker like that? He shouldn't be held to a lesser standard simply because he's famous.

Also, the 2nd reason you stated for liberals wanting gun control is nothing more than a fringe theory. Besides, Obama has done exactly nothing to hinder one's rights to legal gun ownership.

PS: Celebs that said similar things about Bush are stupid too. There's plenty of legitimate criticisms one could make against any President at any time throughout history. No need to make stuff up.

Last edited by shaolinghost; 12-04-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 56334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
I think the Hank Williams situation is a good example for the Costas comments. Costas was out of line, in my leftist opinion. Political commentary is generally not acceptable in sportscasting. The FCC used to have strict rules about this, but those were overturned in the late 80's. Now, it is up to the broadcasters to police themselves. Welcome to the wild west of the free market.
As usual - I didnt read the above jumble of words. I just like your sig pic.

Outstanding!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23546

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
Are people really comparing Hank Williams to Bob Costas? Costas is a giant as a sports commentator and historian. And Hank's comments were pretty offensive, even if you were middle of the road politically.
Yeah,...the comparison here is pretty silly. So was the "People kill people, should we be banned?" statement a little ways back. Weakest. Argument. Ever.