Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2324
Default When did Dalton start wussing out?

Last season vs. Jacksonville, Dalton threw an INT, but then prevented a TD with a fantastic upending tackle at about the 5 yard line. Jax ends up settling for a FG, and it could have been the difference in the game.
(There's a thread about it, here.... http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=87861)

Yesterday, after throwing the first pick, he basically sprints to the sideline and makes NO ATTEMPT to tackle! WTF!?

One of the things that I admired about Dalton from the very beginning was the grit and fire in his demeanor and his play... I hope he's not starting to lose that.

I don't want him to become another Carson Palmer or Mark Sanchez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWhoDeyKid View Post
We all know if there is an endzone in heaven, Chris is going to find it. Rest in eternal peace Chris "Slim" Henry

Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2857
Default Re: When did Dalton start wussing out?

I don't call it wimping out. I called it the Bruce Gradkowski effect. Yes he avoided the play but in that situation I do not want my franchise QB messing anything up. We go nowhere without Dalton.

I am sure he is being told by the coaches too.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6257

I'll take giving up 4 points over a broken QB any day. Andy's basically the smallest guy on the field, and guys will take a cheap shot on him whenever they can. He doesn't need to get taken out, he's worth more than 4 points and a win for the rest of the season.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

I expected those types of replies...

What about just diving at the guys ankles, or giving him a shove toward the sideline?

ANYTHING?

Quote:
We all know if there is an endzone in heaven, Chris is going to find it. Rest in eternal peace Chris "Slim" Henry

Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat View Post

What about just diving at the guys ankles, or giving him a shove toward the sideline?

ANYTHING?
Again, why risk the injury?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2857

Quote:

ANYTHING?
Trust me I know what your saying. People used to bash Palmer on here all the time for his efforts. Bottom Line is this league is primarily driven by the QB. This Bengals team is no excpetion. We go only as far as Dalton will go. Even if he tries to go at his ankles the worst can still happen. IMO I have no issue with taking yourself out of the play.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
Again, why risk the injury?
If you're going to use that response, then I will argue that he risked injury just by sprinting toward the guy with the ball... WHY? BLIND HEADHUNTER BLOCKS!

He could have gotten himself creamed, anyway, so why run all that way and at least not make an attempt? By that point, even a "half-hearted" attempt would have been better than nothing.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 31089

Quote:
Last season vs. Jacksonville, Dalton threw an INT, but then prevented a TD with a fantastic upending tackle at about the 5 yard line. Jax ends up settling for a FG, and it could have been the difference in the game.
(There's a thread about it, here.... http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=87861)

Yesterday, after throwing the first pick, he basically sprints to the sideline and makes NO ATTEMPT to tackle! WTF!?

One of the things that I admired about Dalton from the very beginning was the grit and fire in his demeanor and his play... I hope he's not starting to lose that.

don't worry, he'll never be as bad as sanchez

Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7177

Lol seriously ? Im more than ok with him not risking an injury on that play. We still won Didn't we? Not too many wussies qbs dive head first into the endzone.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6257

Quote:
If you're going to use that response, then I will argue that he risked injury just by sprinting toward the guy with the ball... WHY? BLIND HEADHUNTER BLOCKS!

He could have gotten himself creamed, anyway, so why run all that way and at least not make an attempt? By that point, even a "half-hearted" attempt would have been better than nothing.
Your story is changing a little bit here. Did he "sprint toward the guy with the ball" or did he "basically just run to the sideline"? "Sprinting toward the guy with the ball" sounds a helluva lot like a "half-hearted" attempt to me. Even so, just answer these questions:

Is Dalton's presence at QB through the rest of the game worth more than 4 points?
Is Dalton's presence at QB through the rest of the season worth more than 1 win?

The answer to both is yes, so he needs to get out of harm's way whenever he can.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
Lol seriously ? Im more than ok with him not risking an injury on that play. We still won Didn't we? Not too many wussies qbs dive head first into the endzone.
I guess.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
Your story is changing a little bit here. Did he "sprint toward the guy with the ball" or did he "basically just run to the sideline"? "Sprinting toward the guy with the ball" sounds a helluva lot like a "half-hearted" attempt to me. Even so, just answer these questions:

Is Dalton's presence at QB through the rest of the game worth more than 4 points?
Is Dalton's presence at QB through the rest of the season worth more than 1 win?

The answer to both is yes, so he needs to get out of harm's way whenever he can.
He basically just sprinted in the general direction of the guy with the ball.
If he wanted to truly play it safe, he should have just stood there.

Instead, he basically did the worst things possible... put himself in harms way, and not even attempting a tackle while doing so.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5535

Coaches tell QB's not to try and tackle the guys. He may have ran at the guy to try and direct him out of bounds, but was never going to hit him. Defensive guys have tried to take QBs out before during INT returns basically they are the ball carrier so they can deliver as much damage to whomever they want penalty free. It was the right call by Dalton, but I would have preferred him stay further away because he could have gotten cracked back on.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 24324

I think more effort would have been given if he wasn't more than 25 yards away from the skirmish...
The source is my arse.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 688

Quote:

Actually he would not of been able to make the tackle. I watched the replay because I originally thought he should of made the tackle, but there was actually a defender between him and the the guy with the ball. So basically he went out of bounds instead of taking on the blocker.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4256

Let's ask Tarvaris Jackson...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4UvKrdafqY
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14774

i noticed it too, it was early in the game. i'm thinking in the 4th q with the game on the line dalton at least attempts the tackle. he got hurt trying to recover that fumble that ended with the ref in the bottom of the pile last year. i'm sure someone said something to him. that tackle in the jax game was a beauty.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178

Yeah he had a good angle on the guy and looked like he was free of any blockers. I see that too, and was pretty ****** off. Always try to prevent them from getting 7 no matter what!'n
Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
i noticed it too, it was early in the game. i'm thinking in the 4th q with the game on the line dalton at least attempts the tackle. he got hurt trying to recover that fumble that ended with the ref in the bottom of the pile last year. i'm sure someone said something to him. that tackle in the jax game was a beauty.
I can live with this explanation.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7177

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunzbengal#1FAN View Post
Yeah he had a good angle on the guy and looked like he was free of any blockers. I see that too, and was pretty ****** off. Always try to prevent them from getting 7 no matter what!'n
Hmmm....no.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11232

It's called protecting your investment.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1039

Maybe ask Jay Cutler and the Chicago Bears, too. Cutler didn't exactly try to knock the guy out, he really just brushed by him and it cost the Bears the season.

The other 10 guys on the field need to do more to prevent the pick six (I know he was behind the play, but you can't tell AJ Green tried at all to prevent the TD).

I'm not about to label Dalton a wuss when he goes head first for the go-ahead TD.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat

ANYTHING?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
QB diving at the guys ankles making an important tackle from a turnover!!!

QB diving into endzone for a touchdown.

What say you???

Note: Yeah, yeah we know he really never made it in.

Last edited by BengalYankee; 12-03-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

I still kinda want the "fearless" Dalton back!

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7632

Quote:

HAHA he did.

I have no problem with what he did.
He ran toward the play and tried to make the guy change course.
Manning/Brady/Brees are not making that tackle bro.
Hell I doubt those 3 even truly pursue

I agree with what Andy did.
Try to help but don't let yourself get Kurt Warner'd