Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 33,642
Rep Points: 32051
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
Herron can fill the post if that's what you are looking for. I wouldn't worry about this as it is very minor in the grand scheme of things.
What i want is just to make sure we are utlizing our entire Roster

we are making a playoff push we dont need to do that with 51 guys instead of 53 etc.

If we believe we will get him back is one thing but if not. We need to replace his production on Special teams and his ability to SPELL BJGE...

One thing is certain we lost our 4th down Ace this season maybe Leonard can fill that role.

Herron im all for putting on the roster with the way this line is playing and his hard running style should be successful plus it we manage another blow out it would be nice to have a back that can carry the load so we dont have to risk BJGE
__________________

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
  #27  
Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM
NATI BENGALS's Avatar
NATI BENGALS NATI BENGALS is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,684
Rep Points: 4224
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey1302 View Post
Sooooooo, you want to take some of the load off of the guy down the stretch who will be Reason #1C if the Bengals make the playoffs?

That reason makes sense if the Bengals are in the Texans position. You don't start giving guys a little bit of rest if your team is currently 7th out of 6 teams trying to reach the playoffs.

That is the epitome of what Marvin Lewis has been accused of doing at times: Playing not to lose rather than playing to win.
Yes, especially since he will be going into uncharted territory as far as workload is concerned.

I'm not saying bench the guy when the game is on the line. I'm saying having one healthy HB behind him means we will have to lean on him even more and wearing him down before we even get to the playoffs will mean we wont win many postseason games.

Yes he gives us the best chance to win. But if/when we are winning by a comfortable margin in any of our upcoming games it would be nice to have an option besides Leonard to get BJGE some rest.

A fresh/healthy BJGE would be a big plus for us in the playoffs. And those chances diminish if we keep giving him 30 touches like yesterday.

Leonard has not exactly proven to be durable in his career. And I don't think it is an option to go into a game with just BJGE and Leonard as our only two healthy HBs. Do you disagree with that?
  #28  
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
whodey1302's Avatar
whodey1302 whodey1302 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cold Spring, Ky
Posts: 3,599
Rep Points: 5765
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
Yes, especially since he will be going into uncharted territory as far as workload is concerned.

I'm not saying bench the guy when the game is on the line. I'm saying having one healthy HB behind him means we will have to lean on him even more and wearing him down before we even get to the playoffs will mean we wont win many postseason games.

Yes he gives us the best chance to win. But if/when we are winning by a comfortable margin in any of our upcoming games it would be nice to have an option besides Leonard to get BJGE some rest.

A fresh/healthy BJGE would be a big plus for us in the playoffs. And those chances diminish if we keep giving him 30 touches like yesterday.

Leonard has not exactly proven to be durable in his career. And I don't think it is an option to go into a game with just BJGE and Leonard as our only two healthy HBs. Do you disagree with that?
BJGE seems to get stronger as the game goes on. He looked as fresh on carry #30 as he did on carry #1.

IMO, there is no such thing as a "comfortable lead." I know the Bengals goal to start the season was to have a "running back by committee" but be it by injury or performance, BJGE has emerged as the bell cow.

You also have to remember that Pressley is on the roster. In late game situations where you want to just eat clock, you can hand the ball off to him and he can gain the same 2 yards that the play was designed to get.

So I guess, yes, I do disagree with you. I think you can have a healthy backfield of Pressley, BJGE and Leonard and still be successfull.
__________________
Thanks to NBF for the sig!
follow me @ kevhitch
  #29  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 PM
NATI BENGALS's Avatar
NATI BENGALS NATI BENGALS is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,684
Rep Points: 4224
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey1302 View Post
BJGE seems to get stronger as the game goes on. He looked as fresh on carry #30 as he did on carry #1.

IMO, there is no such thing as a "comfortable lead." I know the Bengals goal to start the season was to have a "running back by committee" but be it by injury or performance, BJGE has emerged as the bell cow.

You also have to remember that Pressley is on the roster. In late game situations where you want to just eat clock, you can hand the ball off to him and he can gain the same 2 yards that the play was designed to get.

So I guess, yes, I do disagree with you. I think you can have a healthy backfield of Pressley, BJGE and Leonard and still be successfull.
I don't think there is a team in the NFL that would go into game day with only 3 healthy RBs. That is asking for trouble.

I have called for Pressley to get carries in the past but that still hasn't materialized. He has two career carries for 0 yards. I think we could hand the ball off to Hawkins a few times and get some production the only problem with that is he isn't built to take hits.

The problem I see with BJGE is you can't feed him the ball repeatedly, if he gets the ball 3-4 times in a row he needs a breather.
  #30  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM
whodey1302's Avatar
whodey1302 whodey1302 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cold Spring, Ky
Posts: 3,599
Rep Points: 5765
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
I don't think there is a team in the NFL that would go into game day with only 3 healthy RBs. That is asking for trouble.

I have called for Pressley to get carries in the past but that still hasn't materialized. He has two career carries for 0 yards. I think we could hand the ball off to Hawkins a few times and get some production the only problem with that is he isn't built to take hits.

The problem I see with BJGE is you can't feed him the ball repeatedly, if he gets the ball 3-4 times in a row he needs a breather.
BJGE can carry it 3 times in a row just fine. If he gets to where a 4th consecutive carry is an option, that means that (in most cases) a first down was obtained and the entire playbook is back in play.

I do like the idea of Hawkins getting the ball out of the backfield.

IMO, WR screens can be seen as part of the running game. A quick screen to Hawkins or Green is just as useful as spelling BJGE for a couple plays.
__________________
Thanks to NBF for the sig!
follow me @ kevhitch
  #31  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 21,677
Rep Points: 22919
bengals Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
We have to do something. First Sanu and now Peerman.

"Running back Cedric Peerman could be out a while, although indications are he didn't break his ankle and isn't out for the year. But he left the locker room with his foot in a boot and with crutches."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...b-f6e2a5d15d70

Time to do somthing. Now is not the time to wait on guys to get healthy. We need bodies now. I'd assume Sanu's spot goes to Cook. But rolling with two healthy HBs while waiting on Peerman to get healthy is not an option. I could understand going with 3 HBs while Sanu was healthy because he could obviously fill in in a pinch.

But now we are down two offensive skill position guys. Gonna have to find a HB and I'm not sure Herron is the guy. But he knows the playbook so it wouldn't surprise me.

Next man up time for BOOM.
__________________
  #32  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:53 PM
The Bengal Thing's Avatar
The Bengal Thing The Bengal Thing is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17,091
Rep Points: 44004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Next man up time for BOOM.
Drop the hammer

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------








  #33  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 13,666
Rep Points: 28921
Default Re: Roster Moves

Herron sukks. Apologies to all you Buckeyes homers. He looked awful in preseason. Not a good pass blocker and had 25 carries for 41 yards. Bring in Steve Slaton for a try out.
__________________
Dash cam footage of LeGarrette Blount and LeVeon Bell prior to their arrest:

  #34  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:02 PM
whodey1302's Avatar
whodey1302 whodey1302 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cold Spring, Ky
Posts: 3,599
Rep Points: 5765
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Herron sukks. Apologies to all you Buckeyes homers. He looked awful in preseason. Not a good pass blocker and had 25 carries for 41 yards. Bring in Steve Slaton for a try out.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees it. He's still on the PS for a reason.
__________________
Thanks to NBF for the sig!
follow me @ kevhitch
  #35  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Dean Gilberry Dean Gilberry is offline
Graduated Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 25
Rep Points: 47
Default Re: Roster Moves

Jerome Harrison:

The Lions traded him back to Philly last year for Ronnie Brown and during the physical they found a brain tumor. I doubt he's in game shape. :P
  #36  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM
tcholas's Avatar
tcholas tcholas is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 284
Rep Points: 273
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Next man up time for BOOM.

Here comes the BOOM!
  #37  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
tcholas's Avatar
tcholas tcholas is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 284
Rep Points: 273
Default Re: Roster Moves

Let's bring back OJ !!!
  #38  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM
BigPapaKain's Avatar
BigPapaKain BigPapaKain is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 6,640
Rep Points: 12068
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Herron sukks. Apologies to all you Buckeyes homers. He looked awful in preseason. Not a good pass blocker and had 25 carries for 41 yards. Bring in Steve Slaton for a try out.
Yeah well you try running behind the practice squad fodder offensive line and see how well you perform. If I recall, none of the running backs looked too impressive in the preseason to the point where many were calling to bring back Benson (because Green Bay knocked that one right out of the park).

He's in Cincinnati, he knows the team, he knows the book. He's bad at blocking and his vision is lack-luster, but you need more than 2 active backs.
__________________
Vi veri universum vivus vici - By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.
  #39  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Joelist's Avatar
Joelist Joelist is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Justice, IL
Posts: 4,467
Rep Points: 6456
Default Re: Roster Moves

Replacing Sanu is FAR more important than replacing Peerman. We saw on Sunday that Marvin is not the man for that role. and without that reliable man across the middle the offense started sputtering again.

The problem of course is a distinct lack of big, hands type receivers on practice squads and such just now.
  #40  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 13,666
Rep Points: 28921
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
Yeah well you try running behind the practice squad fodder offensive line and see how well you perform. If I recall, none of the running backs looked too impressive in the preseason to the point where many were calling to bring back Benson (because Green Bay knocked that one right out of the park).

He's in Cincinnati, he knows the team, he knows the book. He's bad at blocking and his vision is lack-luster, but you need more than 2 active backs.
He did get a FEW carries behind the 1st team line. Remember, Law Firm and Scott were out for the preseason. Either way, even with the 2nd and 3rd string line, he was going against 2nd and 3rd team defenders. 1.6 per carry is awful. Can't pass block. What good is knowing the playbook if you're terrible? Anyways, it's not like you have to teach a free agent the entire playbook right away. He'd only be in for a few plays per game.
__________________
Dash cam footage of LeGarrette Blount and LeVeon Bell prior to their arrest:

  #41  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM
tcholas's Avatar
tcholas tcholas is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 284
Rep Points: 273
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
Replacing Sanu is FAR more important than replacing Peerman. We saw on Sunday that Marvin is not the man for that role. and without that reliable man across the middle the offense started sputtering again.

The problem of course is a distinct lack of big, hands type receivers on practice squads and such just now.
These type of receivers are not easy to find. I don't think we could find one in a PS. Maybe we should conform with Marvin Jones.
  #42  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM
CincyGuy344 CincyGuy344 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 838
Rep Points: 499
Default Re: Roster Moves

who is there to bring in I like the idea of working out slaton and gilyard hell id bring shiply back for a work out
  #43  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM
eliminate08's Avatar
eliminate08 eliminate08 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Star Valley, Wyoming
Posts: 19,378
Rep Points: 26471
bengals Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
We have to do something. First Sanu and now Peerman.

"Running back Cedric Peerman could be out a while, although indications are he didn't break his ankle and isn't out for the year. But he left the locker room with his foot in a boot and with crutches."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...b-f6e2a5d15d70

Time to do somthing. Now is not the time to wait on guys to get healthy. We need bodies now. I'd assume Sanu's spot goes to Cook. But rolling with two healthy HBs while waiting on Peerman to get healthy is not an option. I could understand going with 3 HBs while Sanu was healthy because he could obviously fill in in a pinch.

But now we are down two offensive skill position guys. Gonna have to find a HB and I'm not sure Herron is the guy. But he knows the playbook so it wouldn't surprise me.


I would be happy if we picked up Jeremiah Johnson or Devin Moore, both PS players that can be change of pace backs.
__________________
  #44  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM
BoomerFan's Avatar
BoomerFan BoomerFan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,988
Rep Points: 5714
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey1302 View Post
The amount of Buckeye homers on these boards is mind boggling. Herron is on the PS and hasn't been picked up by anyone for a reason. And you all think he is going to come in and be the #2 RB??
I think Herron is terrible and don't want to see him called up, but your argument is flawed. We are going to call *someone* up. And that someone will be an unsigned free agent.
__________________
Andy Dalton is a Drew Brees kind of quarterback. He has the two qualities every quarterback has to have. Hes accurate when he has time, and hes smart. - Sam Wyche
  #45  
Old 12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
overton34's Avatar
overton34 overton34 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Independence Ky
Posts: 753
Rep Points: 681
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
We have to do something. First Sanu and now Peerman.

"Running back Cedric Peerman could be out a while, although indications are he didn't break his ankle and isn't out for the year. But he left the locker room with his foot in a boot and with crutches."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...b-f6e2a5d15d70

Time to do somthing. Now is not the time to wait on guys to get healthy. We need bodies now. I'd assume Sanu's spot goes to Cook. But rolling with two healthy HBs while waiting on Peerman to get healthy is not an option. I could understand going with 3 HBs while Sanu was healthy because he could obviously fill in in a pinch.

But now we are down two offensive skill position guys. Gonna have to find a HB and I'm not sure Herron is the guy. But he knows the playbook so it wouldn't surprise me.
We will miss him more on special teams
  #46  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 21,677
Rep Points: 22919
bengals Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Herron sukks. Apologies to all you Buckeyes homers. He looked awful in preseason. Not a good pass blocker and had 25 carries for 41 yards. Bring in Steve Slaton for a try out.
And we all know the preseason defines a rookies career. So why is it that Slaton is available? Could it be that he sukks?
__________________
  #47  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Ryan Mc Ryan Mc is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,941
Rep Points: 8926
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
Jerome Harrison is available. Just 2 years removed from his 286 yard rushing day against the Chiefs. Was very solid for the Eagles last year in a backup role. Sometimes you ask yourself how some players make it in this league and how some players manage to stay in the league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Gilberry View Post
Jerome Harrison:

The Lions traded him back to Philly last year for Ronnie Brown and during the physical they found a brain tumor. I doubt he's in game shape. :P
Correct. They actually did a recent profile on him on TV and he is making a great recovery ... but, by great recovery I mean he is walking and talking again. He isn't ever putting a football uniform back on.
  #48  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 13,666
Rep Points: 28921
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
And we all know the preseason defines a rookies career. So why is it that Slaton is available? Could it be that he sukks?
He's nothing to write home about, but he certainly sukks less than Herron imo. Has more speed, can pass block, has proven himself.
__________________
Dash cam footage of LeGarrette Blount and LeVeon Bell prior to their arrest:

  #49  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Speedy Thomas 17 Speedy Thomas 17 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 728
Rep Points: 920
Default Re: Roster Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
Replacing Sanu is FAR more important than replacing Peerman. We saw on Sunday that Marvin is not the man for that role. and without that reliable man across the middle the offense started sputtering again.

The problem of course is a distinct lack of big, hands type receivers on practice squads and such just now.
Marvin has one drop and you're ready to write him off? He's a rookie. Give him a chance. He is by far our best option at WR. You said it -- you don't find receivers like him on practice squads or the street.

Same with Herron. He's been here, he knows the playbook. Leonard will be fine as #2. The only thing against Herron would be if he can't play special teams. And if that's true, why in the world can't he? If you can be a running back in the NFL, surely you can cover kickoffs and punts.
  #50  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 PM
corpjet's Avatar
corpjet corpjet is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Indy
Posts: 740
Rep Points: 560
Default Re: Roster Moves

Noooooooo to Herron

He shouldn't even be on the PS

He went to Ohio State that doesn't make him NFL Quality
__________________
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE, YOUR GOING DOWN!

 

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.