Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Game Day!!

Game Day!! A place to discuss the current games during the games themselves.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3179
Default Re: Official Bengals @ Chargers Game Day Thread

I have the irrational urge to hit Sanu for fracturing the bone in his foot. Damn you Sanu!!

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuZZ View Post
Unfortunately, nowhere to go to find someone at this point. Do you think Whalen is the guy? I don't yet on him either. MJ is a rookie with few snaps in the NFL. I think calling it on him now would be jumping the gun. Edit: the same was said about Hawkins by a few teams recently...
At this point we should probably change our base formation, and have both Charles and Gresham out there along with Green - Charles at least seems to understand how to catch the ball.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
He really didn't say anything way out of line Denny. I'm excited to pull out a tough road win, but there were a lot of mistakes today.
What has to happen to get Tate out of the returner role?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
At this point we should probably change our base formation, and have both Charles and Gresham out there along with Green - Charles at least seems to understand how to catch the ball.
I definitely wouldn't be against that.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
I have the irrational urge to hit Sanu for fracturing the bone in his foot. Damn you Sanu!!
Yeah. That's a tough loss. But Jay has another week to find a way around it. Gonna take some creativity.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 142

That game was hard to watch, but hey they won! And on the west coast too.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Rep Points: 252430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
He really didn't say anything way out of line Denny. I'm excited to pull out a tough road win, but there were a lot of mistakes today.
When did I ever say he said anything out of line?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 27005

The Bengals brought their C game to the west coast but found a way to win -- which is the sign of a great team. Any team can win with their A game but to win with a C game is the something only the best teams in the league do.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16324

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
A win, but a very discouraging win.

Dallas is gonna be a tough one next week.
Dallas is looking like super turds against a super turdly team, at home.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2032

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulk34 View Post
Dallas is looking like super turds against a super turdly team, at home.
They usually do look crap at home, better on the road.

Much the same as this week, if Dallas plays well they will be a handfull. In the same way if San Diego had played to their best, they would've given us a tough game even if we played well.

If Dallas play like tonight, we'll slaughter them hopefully.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16324

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCincinnatiKid View Post
They usually do look crap at home, better on the road.

Much the same as this week, if Dallas plays well they will be a handfull. In the same way if San Diego had played to their best, they would've given us a tough game even if we played well.

If Dallas play like tonight, we'll slaughter them hopefully.
Bengals play well against the NFC East and they always play the Cowboys tough at home. I still have vivid memories of Tim Krumrie clotheslining Tony Dorsett in '85 on the way to a 50-24 asswhipping. Bengals are 3-1 @ home against the Cowboys. 4-6 overall.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Rep Points: 252430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
The Bengals brought their C game to the west coast but found a way to win -- which is the sign of a great team. Any team can win with their A game but to win with a C game is the something only the best teams in the league do.
Well said.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
Norv Turner now has 4 losses in his career with the Chargers in December

and Marvin Lewis has handed him 2 of those losses
As was clearly demonstrated yesterday this isn't the same Chargers squad that used to dominate in November and December. Those teams had at the very least a decent offensive line. This year's OL has to be the worst I've seen in a long time. We may see wholesale changes there during the offseason to go along with the likely departure of Norv Turner and possible exit of GM A.J. Smith.

This game pretty much played out the way most of the Charger games have gone this year (and the way I thought it would) against good teams (your team of course being one of them): play well and lead at halftime, watch the other team begin to rally in the 3rd quarter and lose it in crunch time due to the fact that the offense disappears after halftime and the defense ends up on the field most of the second half.

Having said all that, the Bengals did what they had to do to win and they are full measure for the victory. Congratulations. I can see this team doing some damage in the playoffs.

Last edited by jachba; 12-03-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 59

Reporting on my experience at the stadium Sunday for anyone looking for a little extra reading material:

There were tons of orange and black jerseys on the Bengals side of the stadium. I'm not sure if you saw it on tv, but it felt like we owned half the place. When a penalty was called, i couldn't immediately tell which team it was against because I had so many bengal fans around me making noise as well.

Charger fans are as I expected. Mostly laid back, polite, and happy to be at a game. I sat next to an older woman who had a five foot long chargers bolt knitted out of yarn. She and her husband were great people to banter with during the game. San Diego is beautiful, and the weather and geography is amazing. What do the fans have to be upset about? I was definitely glad we didn't play Oakland this year.

The Bengals played exactly the game I was expecting. They always seem a little sluggish when they travel to the west coast and I am very used to losing games we should win. How many times have we gone to Oakland and lost to a burned out Raider team. Bruce Gradkowski? So for them to win this game against a staggering but by no means weak Charger group in their house was a big step forward I think.

I was maybe 20 yards from the Dalton scramble for a TD. I feel as though tv doesnt quite do his decision making justice. That kid is QUICK. He snapped the ball, pump faked, and decided to run for it in what felt like the blink of an eye. I've always been very encouraged by his quick release and decisiveness. He doesn't drop the ball down by his hip when getting a throw ready, and the small leg adjustments he makes in the pocket feel so Marino-like. Seeing it in person gave me a brand new appreciation for his skill set and intelligence. I will be plunking down for a performance T with 14 on it for sure now, and not just because he's a fellow ginger.

Glad I got to see a game this year. Living in LA, I cross my fingers we'll have one west coast game each year I can grab tickets for and drive to. Last year I was home for the Cardinals game and was 20 yards from the Jerome Simpson flip, but this game, though fairly uneventful for 3 quarters, felt more exciting, and was a more difficult win.

Edit: Also, I don't care what anyone says. The San Diego Super Chargers fight song is awesome. I love funk and disco, and have had this track on loop all day. So freakin cool.

Last edited by Manimation; 12-04-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 41165

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
Yeah, but they are sending a ton of pressure though. Our oline did fine, we just need to get some guys in the areas they are sending pressure from for easy completions. Other than that, excellent drive. I love the new guts of Marvin. We started winning when he got more agressive.

The funny thing is, I just watched the Lions lose exactly how Marvin would have coached that game. I'm glad to see Marvin not just taking what is given. He is reaching down deep to help the players prove they want to win. So far they have been up to the challenge.
I only reread this post because I got repped for it. Kind of ***** that I just watched the Bengals lose the same way the old Marvin loses games

Game should have been ours, but all is not lost.