Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4224
Default Re: PFF Thirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloeHokie View Post
Why not sign Geno now? I foresee him leaving via FA because we will do what we always do.
Why sign him now? We have a butt load of guys who will be free agents after this year and we are lucky enough to have Geno cheap next year.

I want Geno around long term as much as anybody. But signing him now will greatly reduce the money available to keep our other guys. We need to take advantage of Geno's small salary next year and pony up some bucks to keep our other key pieces. Andre and MJ will not be cheap. If you start paying guys before its their turn then guys whose contract are up will get away.

I think it is going to take some creative contract structuring in the future to keep our core intact. And it starts with Andre and MJ. I think if we can front load their contracts next year then we will have some leeway in 2014 to pay Dunlap and Geno the big bucks. And the year after that we have to be ready to bet the farm on Dalton, AJ, and Gresham.

I don't think the standard progressively increasing contracts will work in this situation. And hopefully when our big time players see their coworkers getting paid well they patiently wait for their turn.

When we have so many guys to pay I don't think it is smart to go out of the way and pay somebody a monster salary when we could have had him cheap.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13214

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
Sure back when he started this thing he claimed to only post top 5 because didnt want to be negative. But any time his favorites were in top 5 of PFF he would heap on them unwarranted love. Then when certain guys he wasn't fond of made this coveted top 5 he would dispute how they were not better than his favorites.

So then he started posting bottom 5 but if his favorites were there he would omit them or dispute how they were negative when they did something he liked while he would use (The Old Eye Ball Test) which he claimed was not better than PFF's way of telling ppl who was good and not good. Moving forward now that one of his faves make top 6 he staples it up there. When he has done this no other time.

All I'm doing is pointing this out.
Truck can speak for himself, but if I recall correctly, he limited it because PFF is a pay site and he was trying to provide information without stepping on any toes.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
I dont think you can do "long term" with his history (injuries and otherwise) but 2 years with a nice pay bump would seem right
Agreed, especially once you factor in his age. More than 3 would be risky.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37452

Rey always seems to have his best games on our late starts. Gives him more time to recover from the hangover.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
Truck can speak for himself, but if I recall correctly, he limited it because PFF is a pay site and he was trying to provide information without stepping on any toes.
Umm you asked me to explain my post.😧
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16313

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
I think they get way more credit across the football community than they deserve. I try my best to let their grades have no effect on my opinion. Just because they found a unique way of assigning numerical grades to players doesn't mean it should be accepted as the gospel.

Just wondering Truck101 did they count the ball that bounced off of Marvin Jones' hands against Dalton?
No.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22393

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Rey always seems to have his best games on our late starts. Gives him more time to recover from the hangover.
Works for Bronson Arroyo too
Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Correct.

By posting all of them and junk, its against their TOU/TOS/whatever TO it is, and there could be consequences, thus I do not.

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-04-2012, 08:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20867

Burfict didn't play that poorly. He made some big stops. If this was a bad game for him, it doesn't even come close to how bad Rey looked earlier in the season. Not even in the same subterranean ballpark.

That's not to hate on Rey. He's really stepped up his presence on the field.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Burfict didn't play that poorly. He made some big stops. If this was a bad game for him, it doesn't even come close to how bad Rey looked earlier in the season. Not even in the same subterranean ballpark.

That's not to hate on Rey. He's really stepped up his presence on the field.
Burfict had 1 stop yesterday.

And 2 MTs (led the team).

While that's not BAD, its not good; an average WLB gets 3 stops or so a game according to the numbers.

He had 2 less, and 2 MTs. Including 6 of 9 catches for 62 yards and 33 YAC.

Not a good day at all.

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1791

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Stupid nuance of PFF.
PFF is best when combined with actually watching the game. It is a supplement to judging a player. And it is clear sometimes Nugent just doesnt get enough behind his kickoffs.
Some teams have a guy kicking FG/EPs and another for kickoffs. I wonder if someone like Dunlap, Geno, Gresh, etc. might be able to kick a ball deep on KOs? I doubt the coaches have ever considered looking at another roster player for kickoffs. Just a thought...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post

While that's not BAD, its not good; an average WLB gets 3 stops or so a game according to the numbers.

Not a good day at all.
Numbers don't tell the entire story sometimes. I never said he played a good game, but people seem to be equating his game in SD with some of Rey's debacles earlier in the year. I'm just saying he wasn't even close to that. Furthermore, I think if we'd sit down a watch the game again, we'd find that he was in on quite a few more tackles than he's being given credit for.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1715

Quote:
Blocking has nothing to do with it actually; was the fumble. Good news for him is that he's now 4th worst in the league, no longer THE worst.

Zeitler had a basically neutral game, and he's 7th in the league (Boling 5th) among all guards.

Bfine, love your use of the semicolon! I know I use them improperly half the time, but good job! lol.

Only one play of Burfict's really stuck out to me, otherwise I didn't see him do anything special on Sunday...
Loving Boling and Zeitler. Just out of curiousity do you know how Evan Mathis and Nate Livings are doing? I know Mathis had a good year last year and I saw him on Sunday night football and started wondering if he is doing as good this year. I always thought Nasty Nate was terrible with a capital T and just wanted to see how he is grading out with the cowboys.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
Umm you asked me to explain my post.😧
And in your response, you mentioned that he ONLY posted the top 5; I thought I could bring light to that point.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37452

Quote:
Numbers don't tell the entire story sometimes. I never said he played a good game, but people seem to be equating his game in SD with some of Rey's debacles earlier in the year. I'm just saying he wasn't even close to that. Furthermore, I think if we'd sit down a watch the game again, we'd find that he was in on quite a few more tackles than he's being given credit for.
I love me some VB, was probably his biggest supporter this past off season when many an expert told me he would never make an NFL roster; but he had a terrible game (by his standards) last Sunday.

Hope the coaching staff is showing him how bad it was and unlike a certain MLB will show progress early.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

Not a good day at all.
While I think any rookie who comes in and fills in for a position that he has never played before with little drop off is admirable; I think even his most staunch supporters would agree that he is not that amazing in coverage.

That hard part, is, where do we go from hear with our LB corp?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Some teams have a guy kicking FG/EPs and another for kickoffs. I wonder if someone like Dunlap, Geno, Gresh, etc. might be able to kick a ball deep on KOs? I doubt the coaches have ever considered looking at another roster player for kickoffs. Just a thought...
Dunlap can return them.

But seriously, would you risk pulling a hammy on one of your key players?

Fortunately, our coverage teams have been pretty good.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
While I think any rookie who comes in and fills in for a position that he has never played before with little drop off is admirable; I think even his most staunch supporters would agree that he is not that amazing in coverage.

That hard part, is, where do we go from hear with our LB corp?
I know that Burfict isn't a natural WILL by any means. He belongs in the middle or at SAM (maybe). With Rey playing better and coming up on a contract year, it's going to be an interesting call. There are several excellent OLBs coming out in the draft, and Lamur is looking pretty good. He's definitely busting his tail on STs.

But we really need to draft LB next year, along with S, DE, & RB.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesaw View Post
Loving Boling and Zeitler. Just out of curiousity do you know how Evan Mathis and Nate Livings are doing? I know Mathis had a good year last year and I saw him on Sunday night football and started wondering if he is doing as good this year. I always thought Nasty Nate was terrible with a capital T and just wanted to see how he is grading out with the cowboys.
Livings is ranked 15th in the league overall, but that's mainly due to run blocking, which he is highly positive for, for the first time in his career (2010 was an outlier, as his PB grade was dreadful {and the numbers back it up} while his RB grade was slightly positive). Dallas RBs are running for 5.5 a carry behind him this year, so he's doing very well. His pass blocking, while worse than last year, is still respectable. IMO, he's put together his most complete year this year, as a pro.

Looking at the numbers.

And Mathis I don't even need to look up; he's the only lineman in the league outside of the C position, to not give up a sack this season ('Brick is the other guy, but he has more total pressures than anyone on our team outside of 'dre), and his run blocking is far and away the best in the league grade-wise (5.3 a carry with 4 TDs running behind him).

Regardless of what Fred or anyone want to run their mouth about, Mathis should have been kept as he's been a sure-fire PBer since '09.

Two straight seasons of lights-out play backs that up.

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I know that Burfict isn't a natural WILL by any means. He belongs in the middle or at SAM (maybe). With Rey playing better and coming up on a contract year, it's going to be an interesting call. There are several excellent OLBs coming out in the draft, and Lamur is looking pretty good. He's definitely busting his tail on STs.

I would put him at SAM.

I feel he would have the same problems as Rey, IMO.

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1216

Quote:

I just don't understand that Rey is coming on now after an abysmal start. His terrible start lasted several games. At one point he was ranked bottom of the barrel for MLB now all of a sudden because he has improved he is worth keeping? I will ask this is his improvement on par to making him good or just better than how he started? He still isn't a good MLB take away his assisted tackles and see what you get. This guy is not good at all just playing a little less than average which is way above how he started the season because he was that bad.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4224

Quote:
Livings is ranked 15th in the league overall, but that's mainly due to run blocking, which he is highly positive for, for the first time in his career (2010 was an outlier, as his PB grade was dreadful {and the numbers back it up} while his RB grade was slightly positive). Dallas RBs are running for 5.5 a carry behind him this year, so he's doing very well. His pass blocking, while worse than last year, is still respectable. IMO, he's put together his most complete year this year, as a pro.

Looking at the numbers.

And Mathis I don't even need to look up; he's the only lineman in the league outside of the C position, to not give up a sack this season ('Brick is the other guy, but he has more total pressures than anyone on our team outside of 'dre), and his run blocking is far and away the best in the league grade-wise (5.3 a carry with 4 TDs running behind him).

Regardless of what Fred or anyone want to run their mouth about, Mathis should have been kept as he's been a sure-fire PBer since '09.

Mathis was a malcontent who wasn't happy here. He obviously has the skills to be good. But he was far from a standout while he was here. And I even think he let himself go physically while he was on our team. Keeping him would have resulted in bringing trouble to the locker room. Which could have been disastrous for a young team.

I think he was one of those addition by subtraction guys.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
Mathis was a malcontent who wasn't happy here. He obviously has the skills to be good. But he was far from a standout while he was here. And I even think he let himself go physically while he was on our team. Keeping him would have resulted in bringing trouble to the locker room. Which could have been disastrous for a young team.

I think he was one of those addition by subtraction guys.
I can go along with that...

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-04-2012, 10:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1715
drunk Re: PFF Thirteen

Quote:

Looking at the numbers.

Reps and thanks for shareing the info. I guess Nasty Nate is better than I thought but he seemed to get alot of penalties and give up alot of pressures and sacks when here. I always was on the Mathis side of that argument and looks like I was right on him, but I loved Boling coming out and mocked him correctly to us in the fourth. So I am not real pissy Mathis is gone.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesaw View Post
Reps and thanks for shareing the info. I guess Nasty Nate is better than I thought but he seemed to get alot of penalties and give up alot of pressures and sacks when here. I always was on the Mathis side of that argument and looks like I was right on him, but I loved Boling coming out and mocked him correctly to us in the fourth. So I am not real pissy Mathis is gone.
I'm not up ina rms about it because all has turned out well

Boling is a shade below Mathis.

CHILD PLEASE