Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8920
Default Re: PFF Thirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I love me some VB, was probably his biggest supporter this past off season when many an expert told me he would never make an NFL roster; but he had a terrible game (by his standards) last Sunday.

Hope the coaching staff is showing him how bad it was and unlike a certain MLB will show progress early.
I'd have to agree with you on Burfict. I attended the game and thought it was noticeable that he struggled in coverage and often took bad angles to the ball. Stats like missed tackles don't always tell the full story when a player doesn't get close enough to even attempt the tackle! He got very lucky on that final drive when Rivers skipped the ball short to Ronnie Brown, because Burfict totally over-ran that play. If Brown had managed to scoop it before it hit the ground he was in for a big gainer. Not hating on Burfict ... I think he's an fine young player and I'm generally a fan of his work this season ... but Sunday was not a great game for sure.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
5. Whitworth with a +1.0. Yeah, because 0 runs to his side causes him to have a -2.4 run blocking grade . Whatever, he was our best pass blocker with a perfect game, and that penalty was BS. Watch it again, either NZI, or non-call it should've been.
C'mon, maaaaaaaan! Like you've stated before, their raw stats are accurate. Pretty simple. Don't understand why you are complaining about their subjective grading.

Take a look at this from PFF Twelve...

Andy was 14/22 for 149 yds, 2 TDs, 0 Ints, 0 sacks, and a QBR of 113.6 with no pressure and received a grade of -1.0.

And was 14/21 for 199 yds, 2 tds, 0 Ints, 0 sacks, and a QBR of 128.9 when not blitzed and received a grade of +2.5.

So one pass completion for a 50 yd gain resulted in a 3.5 point swing in his rating. That's ridiculous. I sure would love to see their grading scale they used to determine what constitutes a -1.0 rating for a QB vs. a 2.5 rating for a QB. I'll bet they don't have one and it's just completely subjective.

Oh, let's not forget Scott's longest run of the season. You know the one I'm referring to. The one you told me PFF grading the C and RG positively, although both of them missed their blocks, while they graded Roland negatively. However, Roland and Gresham were the two who threw the key blocks which allowed Scott to make that long run.

PFF ratings are hilarious. Stupid, but hilarious.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 13611

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
I'm not leaving it out I told you I agree with that part what you said about ddes post. I only had a problem with this:

Some how you think that Saids Rey had a good game why dog him when we all know there are so many other factors. Like Rey being a 4 year vet all that does matter.
I will spell it out for you in simple terms. No, it does not matter if a guy is a 10 year vet or a rookie, he gets graded the same on performance. On Sunday, Burfict had a bad game and was graded as such. Rey had another good game (at least 4 in a row) and graded out well. In the end, these guys are paid to execute. His converation had everything to do with performance and not potential. On a side note, it amazes me how we look for ways to say one of our own should be fired (cut or not signed). Right now, there is not a defensive starter on this team I don't want back in 2013. This defense is a sum of all the parts and right now, these parts are operating at a very high level.

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones

Last edited by Luvnit2; 12-05-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:44 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I just don't understand that Rey is coming on now after an abysmal start. His terrible start lasted several games. At one point he was ranked bottom of the barrel for MLB now all of a sudden because he has improved he is worth keeping? I will ask this is his improvement on par to making him good or just better than how he started? He still isn't a good MLB take away his assisted tackles and see what you get. This guy is not good at all just playing a little less than average which is way above how he started the season because he was that bad.
I would hate to work for you. So, a guy can struggle on the job and you just write them off as a lost cause. I also guess a guy getting a major knee injury in pre season is no excuse for not being 100% or in great shape. We had two defensive starters hurt knees in ore season. Dunlap and Rey and guess what, neither played well the first half of the season for the most part.

Rey also made a change to lower his weight by 25 to 30 lbs. I think the loss of weight has helped his stamina and quickness. i think the healthy knee has helped him play better football.

But, there are always the haters or the guys who can't admit they may have made a mistake so they stick to the stupid comments and blast certain players, coaches or owners regardless of current affairs.

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
I would hate to work for you. So, a guy can struggle on the job and you just write them off as a lost cause. I also guess a guy getting a major knee injury in pre season is no excuse for not being 100% or in great shape. We had two defensive starters hurt knees in ore season. Dunlap and Rey and guess what, neither played well the first half of the season for the most part.

Rey also made a change to lower his weight by 25 to 30 lbs. I think the loss of weight has helped his stamina and quickness. i think the healthy knee has helped him play better football.

But, there are always the haters or the guys who can't admit they may have made a mistake so they stick to the stupid comments and blast certain players, coaches or owners regardless of current affairs.
If a guy struggles for the better part of four years I think it's fair to write them off. Glad to see that Rey is playing better (and by better I mean that he's not the total liability in the middle of the defense that he was in the beginning of the season). But I've seen enough of Rey to want to move on next year. He lacks instinct...which IMO is the most important trait that a MLB needs to have. Also isnt fast or particularly quick. he has picked his coverage up immensely in the past month but he is still poor in that area. Overall, not comfortable with him in the middle of the defense. Ready to move on.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
I know that Burfict isn't a natural WILL by any means. He belongs in the middle or at SAM (maybe). With Rey playing better and coming up on a contract year, it's going to be an interesting call. There are several excellent OLBs coming out in the draft, and Lamur is looking pretty good. He's definitely busting his tail on STs.

But we really need to draft LB next year, along with S, DE, & RB.
I keep seeing Burfict being mentioned as Rey's replacement. This is just an honest analysis of Burfict of what I have seen so far. Speed wise he is comparable to Rey the past 4 games. Pass coverage wise, he is still a major liability. I think Burfict has a high ceiling. My concern is everyone knows Rey struggled in coverage the first 4 or 5 games and has progressed to acceptable or maybe even good the past 5 weeks. Burfict is unacceptable now and I don't see him ready to step up yet and play in the middle based on how he has performed so far this year in coverage. Just my two cents. But, he can get better over time hopefully.

Toast Jones
Old 12-05-2012, 01:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
If a guy struggles for the better part of four years I think it's fair to write them off. Glad to see that Rey is playing better (and by better I mean that he's not the total liability in the middle of the defense that he was in the beginning of the season). But I've seen enough of Rey to want to move on next year. He lacks instinct...which IMO is the most important trait that a MLB needs to have. Also isnt fast or particularly quick. he has picked his coverage up immensely in the past month but he is still poor in that area. Overall, not comfortable with him in the middle of the defense. Ready to move on.
I accept your opinion on Rey. I just don't agree with it especially if you are touting Burfict (who is worse in coverage than Rey) as the replacement.

Toast Jones
Old 12-05-2012, 01:20 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49771

Quote:
He still isn't a good MLB take away his assisted tackles and see what you get.
The same thing you get if you take away Andy's td passes?

Last edited by fredtoast; 12-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:25 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Regardless of what Fred or anyone want to run their mouth about, Mathis should have been kept as he's been a sure-fire PBer since '09.
Mathis was fat and lazy his last year here. He even made a video to show how badly out of shape he was at the end of the '10 season. And every coach in the league saw this problem. That is why he had to take a contract at league minimum salary to even get a job.

Would he have worked as hard and gotten back in shape if we had kept him here. I kind of doubt it. He seems kind of sulky. I think that is why he was on four different teams in five years.

But I don't really care anymore. He is gone, and you can't blame the Bengals for not wanting to bring back a veteran who got fat and lazy.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Mathis was fat and lazy his last year here. He even made a video to show how badly out of shape he was at the end of the '10 season. And every coach in the league saw this problem. That is why he had to take a contract at league minimum salary to even get a job.

Would he have worked as hard and gotten back in shape if we had kept him here. I kind of doubt it. He seems kind of sulky. I think that is why he was on four different teams in five years.

But I don't really care anymore. He is gone, and you can't blame the Bengals for not wanting to bring back a veteran who got fat and lazy.
I agree 100% Fred. I see Andre Smith as another example of a situation the Bengals handled well. Andre had some injuries and major conditioning issues his first two years. It cost us picking up his contract extension, but in my mind at that time, we did the right thing. Now Andre has fixed his conditioing issues and become a very good right tackle. I hope we can sign him long term now. The chrystal ball would have been to pick up the option as it would have been cheaper. But, the message you are trying to send to every players is to perform and then you get paid. Not, we will pay you on your potential.

I love the way MB and Marvin have been managing the team the past 3 or 4 years. I believe they are finally changing the Bengals culture for the better.

Toast Jones
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I'm sure the fumble didn't help....

As to the OP:
You could see Burfict was having a bad day; although, I thought he made a couple solid stops.

Rey looked good. He's got at least 4 more games to show up (actually thought Dunlap was the one that showed lack of hustle going for the loose ball)

Gotta pay Andre
My favorite was when he stop the running back at the 3 yard line from getting in the end zone. He literally ran him over and showed no fear whatsoever. Then he gets up and stares at the back like you better not try that again lol. My favorite play of the day.