Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > College Football

College Football Now all you Buckeyes homers have your own place to talk about your favorite team.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3601
Default Arkansas hires Brett Bielema

Went 68-24 in 7 seasons at Wisconsin and led the Badgers to 3 consecutive Rose Bowl Appearances. It is unknown if he will coach the team in the Rose Bowl next month.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26846
Default Re: Arkansas hires Brett Bielema

Is Arkansas a job upgrade to Wisconsin? *boggles*

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
I would say no. I would have liked to say he's running from Meyer, but it's sort of an "out of the frying pan and into the fire" situation with Miles and Saban. I hope he dominates the SEC, but I don't see it.

2. If you adjust the minimum wage for inflation it would have been close to $20 per hour back in the 80's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone77 View Post
I mean 85,000 is not too shabby for a teacher with 8 years experience, and that is typical salary in Ohio for a teacher with that experience.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 50487

Quote:
I seriously doubt it.

It makes me wonder if he was going to be on the hot seat if he lost his third consecutive Rose Bowl.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 79040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Dude View Post
I seriously doubt it.

It makes me wonder if he was going to be on the hot seat if he lost his third consecutive Rose Bowl.
remember he was hand picked by "the man" barry alvarez...i doubt his job was in jeopardy...it was a small raise, but winning in the sec is the ultimate test of cfb coaching right now. dunno why he would give up a solid gig at wisky though.

won't miss his fat head either way
Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

jim tressel to wisky? not sure if its even a possibility, but tress does have a proven track record of success in the big ten...i don't think what tress did is enough to make him "unhireable." just throwing the idea out there
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCU Rams View Post
jim tressel to wisky? not sure if its even a possibility, but tress does have a proven track record of success in the big ten...i don't think what tress did is enough to make him "unhireable." just throwing the idea out there
Would Wisconsin be willing to walk the tightrope of hiring him? That's extremely thin ice to put your program on.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2657

Quote:
My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Would Wisconsin be willing to walk the tightrope of hiring him? That's extremely thin ice to put your program on.
why? because he didn't forward an email....he was not directly involved at all...tressel is saint mary compared to Calipari who managed to land a job at the notre dame of cbb
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6663

He can see the writing on the wall. At Arkansas he will be able to reqruit better players than he could at Wiscy and he won't have to contend with Urban and his ability to monopolize reqruiting in that region. After going undefeated in a sanctioned year some of the top talent in the country will be flocking to C-bus.
He will have to contend with the other SEC schools and coaches but believe me Bielema will be able to land some studs in "Pig Suey" nation.
He's a good coach and I am glad to see him move to a conference other than the Big Ten.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Yes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
why? because he didn't forward an email....he was not directly involved at all...tressel is saint mary compared to Calipari who managed to land a job at the notre dame of cbb
No, because he's still under the show cause penalty.

Quote:

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 39893

Quote:

In terms of recognition and prestige, probably about equal. I'd say that the pay raise was likely nice. But, at Arkansas, Bielema will finally get to be his "own man" and run the program as he wants to. At Wiconsin, he was always to be thought of as "Alverez' boy", there was virtually no change in style of play or type of players recruited since Bielema took over as HC.

At Arkansas, he will likely have better recruiting inroads to national caliber athletes, and more of a real opportunity to compete for a NC.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 991

Its pretty clear as to why he left.....

Urban Meyer and his Ohio State Buckeyes.

He knew that Urban was going to run the table in the Big Ten year in and year out. The only reason he is going to the Rose Bowl this year is because OSU is ineligable for the bowl.

Arkansas being in the SEC is probably a big pull for him as well. SEC is the best football in the nation and to prove you are a good coach, you need to go and win in the SEC. I think he is a good coach. It may take him a couple years but I think he will have Arkansas up and running in the top 10 before all is said and done. He is known for his ground and pound rushing attack and his strong defense (Nick Saban type). He will also be able to recruit who he wants and not get held back by school and Big Ten standards. SEC doesnt have near the recruiting standards that a lot of the other conferences have.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
No, because he's still under the show cause penalty.
oh never mind then lol
Old 12-05-2012, 06:09 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post

He knew that Urban was going to run the table in the Big Ten year in and year out. The only reason he is going to the Rose Bowl this year is because OSU is ineligable for the bowl.

Arkansas being in the SEC is probably a big pull for him as well. SEC is the best football in the nation and to prove you are a good coach, you need to go and win in the SEC. I think he is a good coach. It may take him a couple years but I think he will have Arkansas up and running in the top 10 before all is said and done. He is known for his ground and pound rushing attack and his strong defense (Nick Saban type). He will also be able to recruit who he wants and not get held back by school and Big Ten standards. SEC doesnt have near the recruiting standards that a lot of the other conferences have.
This doesn't make much sense. He didn't want to be behind someone that would win the Big 10 year in and year out so he went somewhere that would be behind at least 6 other teams on a consistent basis? Arkansas can't pull the talent that LSU, Alabama, Florida, Texas A&M and UGA can. Arkansas needed a coach that can out scheme the rest of the conference and come up with a better gameplan. Bielema isn't that guy.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
oh never mind then lol
No problem. The interesting thing is that no coach, who was slapped with the penalty, has coached afterwards. Although, I feel Tressel will break that streak.

Quote:

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 39893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post

As much of an OSU fan as I am, I have to call B.S. on this..

Bielema isn't afraid of any other coach or team. He will bring his own style, rather than being forced to emulate Alverez' style, to Arkansas. Arkansas has good recruiting pull, give Bielema a season, he will have them competitive again.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post

Bielema isn't afraid of any other coach or team. He will bring his own style, rather than being forced to emulate Alverez' style, to Arkansas. Arkansas has good recruiting pull, give Bielema a season, he will have them competitive again.
Your point about Alvarez's control over Wiscy's program is a good one. I was thinking to myself who might he hire as HC? Then I thought to myself that he may come out of retirement to coach the team like Bill Snyder.
Then I got on ESPN's website and seen that he is planning on coaching Wiscy in the Rose and I chuckled.
Wonder if he promotes from within again or gets the itch and comes out to do it himself for a couple of more years?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
No problem. The interesting thing is that no coach, who was slapped with the penalty, has coached afterwards. Although, I feel Tressel will break that streak.
I don't see Tress wanting to come back, let alone having a team want to take a chance on the show-cause penalty. People don't lose their dream job and then go somewhere else. How many presidents lost a second term and became senators? He's happy doing what he's doing. The only time I could see him coaching again is after Urban leaves, and he comes back to OSU (a la Grover Cleveland, keeping with the metaphor), and it would have to happen in the next ten years or not at all, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post

Bielema said he left because he was tired of having his assitants lured away. He was offered a bigger budget for his assistants at Arkansas. I hope he dominates. Maybe that will stop all of the "SEC is the dominant conference" talk. They have a nice streak going, but I don't buy that they are as tough as the polls want us to think.

2. If you adjust the minimum wage for inflation it would have been close to $20 per hour back in the 80's.
Quote:
I mean 85,000 is not too shabby for a teacher with 8 years experience, and that is typical salary in Ohio for a teacher with that experience.

Last edited by whodey21; 12-08-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
I don't see Tress wanting to come back, let alone having a team want to take a chance on the show-cause penalty. People don't lose their dream job and then go somewhere else. How many presidents lost a second term and became senators? He's happy doing what he's doing. The only time I could see him coaching again is after Urban leaves, and he comes back to OSU (a la Grover Cleveland, keeping with the metaphor), and it would have to happen in the next ten years or not at all, I think.

Bielema said he left because he was tired of having his assitants lured away. He was offered a bigger budget for his assistants at Arkansas. I hope he dominates. Maybe that will stop all of the "SEC is the dominant conference" talk. They have a nice streak going, but I don't buy that they are as tough as the polls want us to think.
I get tired of listening to all of the SEC crap myself. The conference is good but it isn't as dominant as most SEC fans feel and believe that it is.
I will give a quick example of how it is the SEC manages to keep such high rankings even after they lose a game. When Bama played MIss State the Bulldogs were ranked #4 in the country.Now mind you they hadn't beaten anyone at that point and Bama took it to them, as they should have. It made it look like, "Bama just beat the #4 team in the country!!...OMG!! Wow they must be GREAT!!"...In reality they beat an average at best football team but since the heads have the SEC so high on a pedestal it looks better when the heads start crunching the numbers at seasons end.Bama gets beat at HOME by the #15 team and yet they still manage to get in the NC game! It's a load of crap is what it is and it happens every year with the SEC.
On a side note, I noticed you're from P-cola. I live near Destin myself, cool to have another member down here.
* Sorry for being off topic

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 12-08-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:24 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
How would him dominating at an SEC school stop the SEC is dominance talk? I assume you mean that by coming from out of the SEC that will prove something, but Saban and Miles both came out of conference as well. The only thing that will stop the talk is other conferences doing something about.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
On a side note, I noticed you're from P-cola. I live near Destin myself, cool to have another member down here.
* Sorry for being off topic
That is cool! Too bad the games are never on down here :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt4584 View Post
How would him dominating at an SEC school stop the SEC is dominance talk? I assume you mean that by coming from out of the SEC that will prove something, but Saban and Miles both came out of conference as well. The only thing that will stop the talk is other conferences doing something about.
Dominating the SEC after being a slightly above average B1G coach would make it seem that winning in the SEC is easier than winning in the B1G. And your second point is why I will be rooting for Notre Dame.

Quote:
Old 12-08-2012, 10:41 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
That is cool! Too bad the games are never on down here :(

Dominating the SEC after being a slightly above average B1G coach would make it seem that winning in the SEC is easier than winning in the B1G. And your second point is why I will be rooting for Notre Dame.
Unless he gets magically better at recruiting that probably isn't going to happen anytime soon. I guess Arkansas could start producing more prep talent, but that probably isn't going to happen either.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt4584 View Post
Unless he gets magically better at recruiting that probably isn't going to happen anytime soon. I guess Arkansas could start producing more prep talent, but that probably isn't going to happen either.
Yeah, M.Ball,K.Zeitler,G.Carami,R.Wilson....yeah those guys stink! He's just terrible at reqruiting (roll eyes)! Arkansas and the surrounding area of Texas,Oklahoma,Louisiana, and Mississippi is loaded with talent.
Arkansas has never had a problem drawing talent.They were just in a BCS game the Sugar bowl 2 years ago. When Arkansas has a GOOD coach they always reqruit well!

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 12-08-2012 at 11:15 PM.